Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Carillon posted:

Someone in this thread (it may even have been you) suggested doing a caipirinha with Chartreuse. It's also really worth checking out, they're delicious.

They are incredible, my favorite drink last summer. Might need to pace myself a bit more this year unless the shortage has eased up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I feel like some part of me wants to stick to whiskey distilled from family-grown corn and hand-turned barley by a small distiller but I've had plenty of product in this category that sucks. I've had plenty of MGP products that tasted extremely good. I think you just have to taste it and see.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Carillon posted:

Someone in this thread (it may even have been you) suggested doing a caipirinha with Chartreuse. It's also really worth checking out, they're delicious.

Yep, that was me. I really hope this Chartreuse drought breaks soon, I'm having to get creative with alternatives and not all of them work.

Pander posted:

I am not gonna say you're wrong, I just don't want lime pulp in my drink, and the first one I made where I muddled the lime heavily was FAR more tart and unbalanced than when I just shook the lime quarters with ice.

For sure, and I know pulp in drinks is a highly polarizing topic since obviously Tropicana does a brisk trade selling NO PULP and XXXTRA PULP in equally huge fonts :v:

My stance on it is just that since the recipe calls for muddling the limes, it seems like the goal of a caipirinha is to end up with pulp, because it's almost guaranteed to happen, and there's any number of other ways to get juice out of a lime if you don't want any. So I just lean into it. Helps that I love getting little popping pulp pods in my teeth. It's like pop rocks. Whee!

I could be completely wrong and would definitely defer to one of the more knowledgeable types around here.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I feel like some part of me wants to stick to whiskey distilled from family-grown corn and hand-turned barley by a small distiller but I've had plenty of product in this category that sucks. I've had plenty of MGP products that tasted extremely good. I think you just have to taste it and see.

There's nothing specifically wrong with anything MGP. Just because it's mass-produced doesn't mean it's not high quality distillate. If anything, it can mean more consistency between batches vs self-mashing and distilling.

But it's also easy to source some MGP and make something poo poo.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I don’t have any big philosophical thing against MGP, but I do wish it were required to be clearly labeled. As it is now, your clue is either “distilled in Indiana” or “bottled by [label]”, meaning that they didn’t distill it.

I worked for a local brewery/whiskey room and their whole thing was marketing the whiskey as hand crafted and locally made when all of it save one expression was bought from MGP. I hate that and that’s one of many reasons I don’t work there any more.

It can be a way for a small distiller and bottler to get a head start though. You don’t get very immediate cash from aging whiskey for 2 years.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Pander posted:

I can't imagine 2oz of chartreuse. That seems far too decadent.

I am not gonna say you're wrong, I just don't want lime pulp in my drink, and the first one I made where I muddled the lime heavily was FAR more tart and unbalanced than when I just shook the lime quarters with ice.

Am I not doing enough sugar? Two level barspoons just seems insignificant in the face of one fully juice lime. I put limes peel side down and muddled, and the sugar got dissolved into the juice, but it still seemed unbalanced. I guess I could try more?

Not all limes are created equal - if they're very fresh and ripe they're much sweeter and have more lime oils which help cut the sourness. Older limes go the other direction.

Importantly, if a cocktail isn't balanced right for you, change it. If it's too sour, add some more sugar. It's not like it's a felony crime to alter a spec a little bit. Drink what you want.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
:siren: COCKTAIL POLICE!! :siren:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Help I bought Averna, what cool things can I do with it?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Black Manhattan
Sub it for Campari in a Negroni, sub the gin for mezcal
Try not to drink the whole bottle cuz it’s delicious

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

If it's still winter where you're at, amaro caldos.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Made a Black Manhattan (well, slight variant because I didn't have orange bitters so I used a spiced coffee bitters instead, but it was still great).
Mezcal/Averna Negroni to come tomorrow.

Amaro Caldos to come once the weather gets a bit cooler (southern hemisphere, hot drink time is rapidly approaching)

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The thing to look out for is "distilled and bottled by" as far as avoiding stuff like that MGP, right?

I mean tbh, is it actually even something to avoid, or is it a bit overblown?
It’s less about avoiding it and more about not overpaying for it. MGP makes a good product, but if you look at the entire spread of brands that use it you’ll see just how much you’re paying for marketing.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I added a sentence to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ti%27_punch " A major difference with the daiquiri is that the Ti' punch contains little lime juice; the lime element is mostly zest." they marked it as [citation needed]. Eventually I should find a citation and put it on there.

I've never been that impressed with Cachaça, trying 3 different brands.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Following the cleanout of my Grandmother’s borderline hoarder house I have come into possession of miscellaneous bottles of brandy that were previously lost to the cruft of ages. What are the chances that these bottles are drinkable? They are unopened but at least one of them has probably been in the dark recesses of her pantry for decades.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Brandy doesn't go bad

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tonedef131 posted:

It’s less about avoiding it and more about not overpaying for it. MGP makes a good product, but if you look at the entire spread of brands that use it you’ll see just how much you’re paying for marketing.

gotcha.

I think I read a very unflattering article about Tito's vodka a while back that really put those industrial producers in a bad light, but I think in that case it's more about how hard they market the whole "handmade in TX" thing (also it's vodka so who cares :haw:)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Brandy doesn't go bad

Excellent, so it’s not like wine that can be stored improperly/too high a temperature etc and deteriorate over time?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Liquor can an will go bad if it's stored improperly but if the corks are in decent shape and it's been stored away from light it will be fine

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Excellent, so it’s not like wine that can be stored improperly/too high a temperature etc and deteriorate over time?

It’s possible, but the entire appeal of brandy (and the source of its name) is that it’s wine that kept and traveled in the early days of multistage commerce.

Start with a highball (seltzer, club soda if you get some good stuff). If you find it appalling, kick it into a sidecar, which is a brandy lemon drop. If that doesn’t do it for you, it makes a solid old fashioned.

If you like all three, congrats, you have a taste for brandy. It begins…

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

bloody ghost titty posted:

It’s possible, but the entire appeal of brandy (and the source of its name) is that it’s wine that kept and traveled in the early days of multistage commerce.

Start with a highball (seltzer, club soda if you get some good stuff). If you find it appalling, kick it into a sidecar, which is a brandy lemon drop. If that doesn’t do it for you, it makes a solid old fashioned.

If you like all three, congrats, you have a taste for brandy. It begins…
Sidecars are really excellent, they really highlight the qualities of the brandy in a lot of fun ways. They're also incredibly approachable and a great first time cocktail for people interested in getting into mixed drinks.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Comb Your Beard posted:

I added a sentence to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ti%27_punch " A major difference with the daiquiri is that the Ti' punch contains little lime juice; the lime element is mostly zest." they marked it as [citation needed]. Eventually I should find a citation and put it on there.

I've never been that impressed with Cachaça, trying 3 different brands.

I was trying to find a reference for you, but every article and video about it does it wrong. In Martinique they typically cut a coin about 1” diameter, you get whatever juice you can from the pulp on the backside. Maybe an 1/16oz, it’s very little. Then one or two ice cubes just to temper the 100-120proof rhum.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I already know I like brandy, but this brandy is certainly not what I’d normally get. There’s a bottle of Napoleon VSOP which is not something I’d drink neat; but will probably be fine in something else, but the rest are various grades of Metaxa (which is something that every greek household seems to have lying around somewhere but it’s pretty terrible for anything but adding to tea when you’re sick;) and some other greek brandy from Pireus that I’ve never heard of (omega?)

might use them for cooking or something.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Seen at Costco $19 for 2lb 3oz jar.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I shared this journey in discord and was asked to post it here. My neighbor Dan is a big fan of ranch and his go to drink is a manhattan. After many drunk nights joking about the most midwest drink we could make for him, we finally settled on what was known as the Midwest Danhattan. His birthday was this week so I took the opportunity to bring this unholy libation into reality.

Starting with the basics, we live in Indiana which is known for its corn, so Mellow Corn seemed appropriate. Ken's Steak House brand is his favorite ranch.

I wanted to be as classy as I could so I chose to fat-wash, or rather, ranch-wash the whiskey. Roughly 12oz of whiskey was combined with 8oz of ranch.

They...don't mix willingly.

One good shake and we're off to the races. I let it sit for 5 or so hours.

There was a battle waged in that jar that somehow created three layers of separation.

I gave it another shake and stuck it in the freezer overnight. The next morning when I pulled it out I made a discovery; ranch doesn't solidify in the freezer. At least not when mixed with whiskey. :v: Not one to be without a contingency plan, I pulled out some cheesecloth so that gravity could do the dark work necessary.

Always hide your sins from god.

Drip by unspeakable drip was produced over the next several hours until it could give no more.

The final product was surprisingly clear but definitely altered.

Much deliberation was had with my husband over the proper proportions to use in the final cocktail.

I present to you all The Midwest Danhattan™.

Equal parts Mellow Corn, ranch-washed Mellow Corn, sweet vermouth. Two dashes ango. Rim the glass with ranch seasoning and garnish with a variety of cheese curds.

It wasn't awful, just really bizarre drinking a savory and clearly ranch flavored cocktail. Not in a hurry to have another however.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Man that's worse than the label on that whiskey I posted

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Feeling triggered.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Could not stop giggling while reading that

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
May god have mercy on your soul.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Just getting mad flashbacks to the time someone gave me vodka infused with centrifuge extracted blue cheese essence. Literally couldn’t get the flavor out of my mouth for hours

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Do a wing sauce martini next.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
That rules but also keep it away from me :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

you godamned bastard you used martini & rossi just to make it personal didn't you

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
No lie Mellow Corn ain't that bad in its own right. An interesting cocktail mixer.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Tremors posted:

I shared this journey in discord and was asked to post it here. My neighbor Dan is a big fan of ranch and his go to drink is a manhattan. After many drunk nights joking about the most midwest drink we could make for him, we finally settled on what was known as the Midwest Danhattan. His birthday was this week so I took the opportunity to bring this unholy libation into reality.

Starting with the basics, we live in Indiana which is known for its corn, so Mellow Corn seemed appropriate. Ken's Steak House brand is his favorite ranch.

I wanted to be as classy as I could so I chose to fat-wash, or rather, ranch-wash the whiskey. Roughly 12oz of whiskey was combined with 8oz of ranch.

They...don't mix willingly.

One good shake and we're off to the races. I let it sit for 5 or so hours.

There was a battle waged in that jar that somehow created three layers of separation.

I gave it another shake and stuck it in the freezer overnight. The next morning when I pulled it out I made a discovery; ranch doesn't solidify in the freezer. At least not when mixed with whiskey. :v: Not one to be without a contingency plan, I pulled out some cheesecloth so that gravity could do the dark work necessary.

Always hide your sins from god.

Drip by unspeakable drip was produced over the next several hours until it could give no more.

The final product was surprisingly clear but definitely altered.

Much deliberation was had with my husband over the proper proportions to use in the final cocktail.

I present to you all The Midwest Danhattan™.

Equal parts Mellow Corn, ranch-washed Mellow Corn, sweet vermouth. Two dashes ango. Rim the glass with ranch seasoning and garnish with a variety of cheese curds.

It wasn't awful, just really bizarre drinking a savory and clearly ranch flavored cocktail. Not in a hurry to have another however.

The daily updates on this and the completed results still make me :thunk:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
thinking about a lemon pepper ranch milk punch as the Atlanta version of this drink. maybe lemon rind and black pepper Mellow Corn, blanc vermouth infused with a ranch seasoning packet, lemon juice, a little sugar of some kind, and buttermilk?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yacht Club in Denver has a "Hidden Valley Ranch Water" which is buttermilk washed tequila, fino, dill, mint, and pepper and I've been told it's absolutely delicious

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anyone need any? :haw:

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

that's a good price

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Literally just spent $84.99 on a bottle of green at my local fancy grocery cause I missed it last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Where's this?