Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
One thing I really like was the revelation that Deku uses vulgar language when he wants to win because of Bakugou's influence. That's pretty neat, and really hammers in how much Deku looks up to Bakugou as a role model, mimicking not just his movements but even his manner of speech to some extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Not as much emoting from Bakugou as I would have liked but him basically being like "If you're gonna be the next All Might you can't be losing to me" is a pretty tacit acknowledgement that he knows he's going to be surpassed at some point.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's really cute in that "oh no i cant say swears im a good boy" kind of way.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Deku is a good boy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The world has judged Mineta's measure, and found him wanting.

On the other hand I'm bummed that my boy Tokoyami plummeted like that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jiro above Tsuyu is some severe poo poo taste and All Might not winning by at least 2 times as much as everyone else got is unforgivable.

Bakugo winning is good poo poo, nice one Horikoshi. All of those doubters last week, hang your heads

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 22, 2016

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou has had the most character development from the lodge attack onwards so it's not too surprising.

I look forward to the US Poll results that will no doubt be hilariously skewed by a combination of channers and tumblr. I'll be surprised if Midoriya makes the top 3.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Who do they like?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

/a/ likes Froggo
tumblr likes being awful even compared to /a/.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Jiro above Tsuyu is some severe good taste and All Might not winning by at least 2 times as much as everyone else got is unforgivable.

Bakugo winning is good poo poo, nice one Horikoshi. All of those doubters last week, hang your heads

Your fingers slipped.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Radish posted:

Who do they like?
/a/ likes the girls obviously starting with Tsuyu no matter how much they whine about how everyone likes her, tumblr fujos are all about the main cast dudes with Deku/Todoroki/Bakugou/Kirishima being foremost and the latter two being especially popular lately for obvious reasons.

And most of the rest of the internet that likes the series enough to participate actually dig the villains. Remember that Stain made the top 10 in the last poll.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't recognize the guy who got 20.

Also I am sad Ashido again did not make the top 20.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He was one of the guys from the other school at the hero license test.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Radish posted:

He was one of the guys from the other school at the hero license test.

I guess he was right to state his surprise at somehow making it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda wonder how much influence SMASH had on the poll in Japan because there's a bunch of goofy extra characterization in there.

Jirou gets a lot of time in SMASH characterized as kind of a fujo and the butt of various jokes, and "Kirishima kinda seems gay for Bakugou" is a constant recurring joke.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm glad for Pikachu.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He's finally made it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bakugou is my boy, and his win is good.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Jirou is extremely powerful, and it's good that people recognise this.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"My Hero Academia: Deku's shoe is the best character"

Thread name change please.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
holy gently caress that chapter

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I read it twice, back to back. gently caress.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
That'll do Bakugou, that'll do. :gbsmith:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Radish posted:

"My Hero Academia: Deku's shoe is the best character"

Thread name change please.

Only two votes and if I could have, I would have made it three.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jiro above Tsuyu is some severe poo poo taste and All Might not winning by at least 2 times as much as everyone else got is unforgivable.

I like Jirou more than Tsuyu :colbert:

I also like Tsuyu, but I don't get why people think she's some disproportionately amazing.

edit: In this chapter, why exactly did Deku punching instead of kicking help him in that situation? Like, if Bakugou was prepared for an attack from the air, it seems like it wouldn't make a difference (and if anything a punch requires being closer).

That was a great chapter. I really like Bakugou's characterization.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 22, 2016

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
@Ytlaya

If you look closely at the sequence, you see Midoriya feint with a right kick which Bakugou prepared to block but Midoriya unleashes a punch that connects directly instead

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Cofirmation that Bakugou is a good boy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oxxidation posted:

The world has judged Mineta's measure, and found him wanting.

On the other hand I'm bummed that my boy Tokoyami plummeted like that.

At least he didn't fall as much as Mineta. That was great. Also I like that Shigaraki went up, though I'm disappointed Tsuyu wasn't higher. Shinsou dropping too... Well, it was expected, really. At least he still placed pretty well for someone who barely appeared since the last one.

And yes, I too would like that art without the numbers and stuff over it.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I like that Bakugou won by basically doing the shonen protagonist thing of I WON'T GIVE UP. Because he's...well, not the protagonist, instead of seeming cheap it just really sold him as winning because he really loving hates losing and that was great.

Awesome chapter. Worth the wait, 10/10. Also finally the readers agree that Bakugou is the Bakubest.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

JosephWongKS posted:

Wow, Jirou got more votes than Tsuyu and Ochako.
I never realized she had the ... heartbeat thing on her hair. Cool. Also, good job Sero. Good for you :unsmith:

Ytlaya posted:

I like Jirou more than Tsuyu :colbert:

I also like Tsuyu, but I don't get why people think she's some disproportionately amazing.

edit: In this chapter, why exactly did Deku punching instead of kicking help him in that situation? Like, if Bakugou was prepared for an attack from the air, it seems like it wouldn't make a difference (and if anything a punch requires being closer).

That was a great chapter. I really like Bakugou's characterization.

I've done a lot of point sparring and just sparring around in my ... 18? years of practicing karate, and I can say: it matters a whole hell of a lot.

E: hah, good job autocorrect

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 22, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I am happy for Sero, but more importantly Ojiro going up. Baby steps.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

If you're fighting Mike Tyson and then all the sudden he sets up a kick with a punch feint, you're going to be surprised. It even a somewhat common trope where the antagonist is surprised when the protagonist does something, because they assumed they couldn't do that. Of course for some reason the only example coming to mind at the moment is in Quigley Down Under when Magnum tells Snape that he'd never said he didn't know how to use a pistol, rather he'd said he didn't have much use for one.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You'd actually be pretty okay because any situation where Mike Tyson fakes a punch instead of landing one is optimal.

Also if he kicked you in the ring, you'd win by DQ so that's good.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's more like assuming Bruce Lee can only kick and then he lands his punch because you were trying to block his kick that turned out to be a feint.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

You'd actually be pretty okay because any situation where Mike Tyson fakes a punch instead of landing one is optimal.

Also if he kicked you in the ring, you'd win by DQ so that's good.

You're assuming that Mike Tyson can't kick like he punches, and then you notice that Greg Jackson is in his corner and remember that shoot boxing lets you throw both punches and kicks. Also he ate some of Superman's hair.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mike Tyson definitely can't kick like he punches.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

But is Mike Tyson the traitor?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gyges posted:

If you're fighting Mike Tyson and then all the sudden he sets up a kick with a punch feint, you're going to be surprised. It even a somewhat common trope where the antagonist is surprised when the protagonist does something, because they assumed they couldn't do that. Of course for some reason the only example coming to mind at the moment is in Quigley Down Under when Magnum tells Snape that he'd never said he didn't know how to use a pistol, rather he'd said he didn't have much use for one.

Yeah; the part that confused me was how Bakugou seemed to be focusing on the "coming from the air" angle. Unlike a normal fight (where the punch might be aimed for the upper body and a kick aimed elsewhere) it looks like he was going to be attacking the same place (his face) whether it was a punch or a kick.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
This fight rules. These characters rule. This manga rules. Bakugou getting number 1 in the poles and enjoying every minute of it rules.

(Takoyami falling doesn't really rule, as I've come to like him quite a bit more than the last character poll, but Cero and Ojiro climbing certainly does [even I cant really say why I like Ojiro, I just do; he seems a decent sort]. And of course, Mineta Plummeting is a sign that all is good and right with the world.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Terper posted:

But is Mike Tyson the traitor?

mike tyson is sasuke