Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I used Skryim Unbound in a previous game, and it was pretty fun. I started as a fisherman at a spot on the lake and immediately got attacked by a dragon and had to dodge it's one shots while trying to kite it around and get the guards/fisher people to try and help kill it.

Realms of Lorkhan was what I used in my previous run and it was kind of neat seeing the teleport crystals all over the place and going "oh, I could have started here." I don't remember where I actually entered Skyrim with that one, maybe Riften?

I think in both cases they started me on having to get the dragonstone from Bleakfalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

docbeard posted:

Skyrim Unbound lets you skip straight to "the Greybeards have summoned you" after a dragon shows up (which can be basically whenever you want).

I've seen a couple of plug-ins for Live Another Life that supposedly start you just after retrieving the horn but I've no idea how well they work.

You start in HH after getting greeted by them with a set of basic equipment with a bias towards heavy armor it I think it depends on race. You can either go down to Riverwood to continue the main quest or dick around in the Rift and start some guilds instead. Oh and takes like a good couple of minutes for the game to get through the quest stages.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god im having so much fun in septimus 2. im running 2 characters that i cant decide between. restoration mage with some alteration and illusion sprinkled in with enchanting and whatnot, there are so many drat fun spells. Or a kajiit unarmed/alchemy/speech/light armor dude that punches the poo poo out of people and screams at them, hoping to go full on shouts once i get up in the speech tree and thunderchild stuff.

aaaa skyrim is good

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

queeb posted:

god im having so much fun in septimus 2. im running 2 characters that i cant decide between. restoration mage with some alteration and illusion sprinkled in with enchanting and whatnot, there are so many drat fun spells. Or a kajiit unarmed/alchemy/speech/light armor dude that punches the poo poo out of people and screams at them, hoping to go full on shouts once i get up in the speech tree and thunderchild stuff.

aaaa skyrim is good

I'm legitimately extremely impressed with the modpack.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

the inigo and lucian mods and how they interact is kinda insane too

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

queeb posted:

Those were in Serenity and, look I'm sorry all amateur voice actors, but this was one of the few times where I was actually enjoying a custom NPC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

docbeard posted:

Skyrim Unbound lets you skip straight to "the Greybeards have summoned you" after a dragon shows up (which can be basically whenever you want).

I've seen a couple of plug-ins for Live Another Life that supposedly start you just after retrieving the horn but I've no idea how well they work.

I've used the LAL mod that starts you immediately meeting the grey beards and so you have the force shout and the windstride shout. It works fine. If you are using the experience mod, because it both activates and completes all the preceding quests, you will start at like level 7 but still have dog poo poo skill levels. You'll get a lot perk points though, but it could be an issue if you're using base level scaling because dungeons will be populated for a level 7 character and you'll have maybe 15-25 in your main weapon and armor skills, and you'll have perk points, but most of your skills will be too low for you to get more than the first perk.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

queeb posted:

I've skipped through a few games the past year, and in one of them I just had those two tagging along the entire time. My only complaint about Lucien is that he doesn't have an equivalent to Inigo's whistle (which has now spoiled me for basically any companion mod going forward) and has to complete his quests to get access to a horse, where meanwhile Inigo and I are just trotting along. He'll even whine about it, lol.

Said quests are fun, but apart from the story going on it's one of those "let's just shove a bunch of enemies in a room and call it good" dungeons. As it's a dwemer ruin, and a dwemer ruin on Solstheim, it's hard to get that done if you have any sort of difficulty and/or unleveling mods. Was a loving adventure to survive that last rush though.

My first two dragon fights with them were fantastic, with Inigo running around yelling silly insults at a dragon and telling Lucien he's doing a great job, while at the same time Lucien's trying to convince himself that he's fought one dragon, so it's totally fine, and also going "please die please die please die".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
how do you stop the collections announcement bar from showing up?! it pops back up whenever i view a new nexus page.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I have skyrim VR and the FUS mod pack.

Is there any way to make any of the mind control/controllable summon spells (from apocalypse) work with it?

Any spell that is supposed to move the camera to a different view just doesn't. The spell casts and the thing is controllable, but the camera stays with the player.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

holy gently caress what is this legacy of the dragonborn mod. it seems loving massive. i literally just unlocked the museum but there are SO many displays, fuckin library, SO much stuff. and it has a questline and guild associated with it as well?!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

queeb posted:

holy gently caress what is this legacy of the dragonborn mod. it seems loving massive. i literally just unlocked the museum but there are SO many displays, fuckin library, SO much stuff. and it has a questline and guild associated with it as well?!

yes welcome to the real game

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

LOTD's successor got a progress announcement the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBvFmdAk5GY

True Directional Movement was updated to AE and the HUD portion spun off into a separate mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/51614
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/62775

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Gyoru posted:

True Directional Movement was updated to AE and the HUD portion spun off into a separate mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/51614
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/62775

I thought the HUD mod was optional for TDM, but I don't think it is. My game wouldn't load without it. So glad this updated, though. It was basically the last piece of my modlist puzzle missing since 1.5

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

how do you stop the collections announcement bar from showing up?! it pops back up whenever i view a new nexus page.

if you're using uBlock Origin (you should) you can use the eyedropper to manually select things to block

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Gyoru posted:

LOTD's successor got a progress announcement the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBvFmdAk5GY

This is batshit and I mean it in the best of ways.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I think I'm going to pass on this delivery, thanks.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Radiant quests :discourse:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kartikeya posted:

I think I'm going to pass on this delivery, thanks.

It's a family name

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So rude to my friedn, Kreize D'vaughnpyre.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I’m not sure whether my favorite random Missives target is this one, or when I picked up a weapon delivery mission to Markarth and realized just before entering the city that the person I was supposed to deliver it to is the woman who gets shanked five seconds after you load in.

She was probably a little confused when some little level 4 poo poo came tearing though the main gates and started wildly stabbing her would be murderer, then passed her an enchanted axe over the blood spurting corpse. gently caress you, Forsworn, I’ve got deliveries to make.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

kartikeya posted:

gently caress you, Forsworn, I’ve got deliveries to make.

Nobody fucks with the couriers in Skyrim.

Nobody.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nobody fucks with the couriers in Skyrim.

Nobody.

in skyrim 2 you play the dovahcourier just awoken in your catacomb, with naught but a mysterious golden scroll to your name

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Damnit.

Now I want to start a new character that makes most of their money running deliveries and side jobs through missives, but does a lot of treasure hunting and stuff for LotDB whenever a courier quest takes them to a new region.

Maybe isn't combat focused so I'll need to hire mercs and followers...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

pissinthewind posted:

in skyrim 2 you play the dovahcourier just awoken in your catacomb, with naught but a mysterious golden scroll to your name

Skyrim: New Vegas

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/ski8ze/xvasynth_fuz_ro_bork/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBpzh9z80zU
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/58468

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

holy poo poo

wait do they have the Unreal Tournament announcer?

edit no in addition to the Skyrim voices they have

Fallout 4: f4_nate, f4_nora

Cyberpunk 2077: cp_v_female, cp_johnny

Witcher: w_triss, w_yennefer, w_cirilla

Age of Empires 4: aoe_narrator_4

Mass Effect: me_fshepard, me_joker

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

wait do they have the Unreal Tournament announcer?

xVASynth needs a fairly sizable pool of voice lines to draw from to train on, so short-oneoff voices with only a few lines like the UT announcer are a bit too hard for it for now, unfortunately.
Unless you got someone to do a dramatic reading of some text in the unreal announcer text, and fed it into it, that is.

I think it should be able to pull from more voices than the listed ones though, if it does it in runtime. I think there are models for pretty much all the notable voices in Skyrim, for example.
(And FO 3,4,NV, as well. And most of the ME characters, etc etc.)

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Has anyone made a crafting mod that crafts in batches?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
wish I could get missives working again. I think my game is too scripted so the board doesn't generate anything

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Follow-up thoughts on Wildlander, as I'm still poking at it while waiting for Lexy's next update:

- I think I mentioned, but it's a nice tradeoff that, while Requiem has few perks and they're all just kind of "do thing better" with some occasional neat extra tossed in, each one of these seems real powerful in comparison to Ordinator/Vokrii, which is what I've been using for a while. And as much as I enjoy Vokriinator, all the 'do x in y time while z happens' stuff doesn't work too well with how I tend to play the game (smithing perk where you get a timed combat buff for a few minutes after crafting something in a forge, I'm looking at you). Sticking a point in a perk in Requiem feels noticeable.

- I really like Skald's Mail. I don't know why, if I glanced at the mod I'd pass it up without thinking, but it's a neat little thing and it's also really easy to add a mailbox if you want another one somewhere.

- I have no idea why the performance is worse than Lexy's list, unless it's just the extra Requiem scripts running. It runs fine, but I've had noticeable hitches and framerate drops where I haven't before. This probably just needs some refining.

- I've been meaning to try Sunhelm, Wildlander has it for eating/drinking/sleeping needs. Haven't had any problems at all with it, like it better than Realistic Needs and Diseases/iNeed.

- loving sold on Immersive Horses at this point. The only thing I miss is harvesting while riding, and IH gives me a hotkey to just tell my horse to follow, so I can amble down the road picking flowers like a true badass.

- Also loving sold on these city overhauls, though I've noticed all the interiors seem to be vanilla, which is a bit bare and jarring in comparison. Maybe I've been spoiled by JKs, because I forgot the clothing shop in Solitude was so empty and not full of tempting jewelry without that mod.

- I'm not sure if it's Requiem or something else that adds village ruins here and there (generally near bandit forts), but that combined with the constant Stormcloak vs. Imperial battles really does make it feel like there's a civil war on a bit more.

- Honed Metal is great, and I've got only two complaints: first, there's either a bug with it or Wildlander where Requiem's Dragonborn smithing perks aren't recognized, which means nobody in the game, even on Solstheim, can create/temper chitin/bonemold/nordic armor, and second, not particularly a complaint, but it seems very, very easy to get incredibly good equipment at low levels. I think this probably works just fine with Wildlander's setup, but in other lists it might be seriously overpowered.

- Whatever item degradation system Wildlander is using is interesting, and I haven't noticed any bugs with it.

- That said, iEquip would disagree, as sometimes it just throws a temper tantrum. iEquip is pretty useful when it works (which is most of the time, even if it's janky), and really obnoxious when it decides not to. I can't figure out where the potions/poisons/powers are on the HUD, probably because I am a dumb, so I've been ignoring them. I'm not sure if this is better than simply using a mod that lets you hotkey different setups.

- Speaking of the HUD, it's really nice and well organized without jumbling up the screen.

- Dark Brotherhood assassins are loving terrifying, as they should be, I've run into three or four at this point, and they've all been level 40+. None of them have been wearing DB gear either, which is also good.

- Hit squads are also terrifying, but that's what guards are for. Windhelm guards got into an out and out slugfest with the first one to come after me before I even realized one had spawned in the city. Maybe that's what the steward meant by them being a bit nicer to me (he's still a drat liar).

- I am not at all a fan of how long it takes to get up when you're knocked down, and you get knocked down a lot. A number of annoying deaths where I just got stun locked on the ground over and over again.

- I've barely engaged in combat outside of shooting wolves and sabrecats, and aside from two bandit encampments, I haven't really sought it out, it's just come to me (usually screaming out of a bush wielding dual enchanted maces holy hell, Dark Brotherhood). That'll change soon, but I've been sticking all my points into thief skills, so I'm a little twerp who steals everything in sight and then takes advantage of the fact that people fall over if I run over them with my horse. Some misc quests (and loving Blood on the Ice) aside, I've largely been doing Missives deliveries and Thieves Guild stuff. It's been pretty chill, and that's what I wanted.

- Outlaw Hideouts are quite nice, but there's a bug in the lighting patch where the NPCs just don't want to show up. I manually tweaked that, and they're showing up more often now (though the fence still likes to MIA).

- I slapped Experience over the top of this thing with no regard for if it hosed everything up. It did not gently caress everything up. I've been using these settings with a few tweaks (Missives, for instance, needs misc quests turned on if you want anything out of it), and it's quite slow leveling, which I like for this list.

- I have no idea how Spell Research works, and I'm not sure I see a reason for it even if I were playing a mage, as you can just buy spells. It's something I've wanted to mess with, but in the list as is it seems to have no real purpose.

- As much as it's annoyed me to try to wrangle hotkeys to where I want them, having so many related things just regulated to their own hotkey (for instance, you can look at every single crafting recipe you can create by just pushing right shift), is really, really nice.

- Suspicious City Guards behaves as advertised, though it was really funny when Farkas and some rando guard followed me all the way from the Bannered Mare to the Skyforge. You aren't stealthy, guys, it's just not working out, I can hear you stomping around in your armor back there. I also don't know why they yoink you into conversation before they stop following you, that doesn't feel as though it's intentional.

- I have no idea why, but Wearable Lanterns is bugging the gently caress out on me in this playthrough. I've used that mod for ages without any problems, but I had to turn off oil use because it kept running out despite not even having the lantern equipped, and I've had it repeatedly happen where the lantern light won't activate either.

- All the extra clothes and armor variety are cool. I want to keep those.

Story time. I thought I'd be an idiot clever person and perch down under the bridge at Valtheim towers, sniping at bandits. This worked for much longer than it should have, and many bandits were felled, while even more arrows were wasted (I don't like the drop off on these, even if it's more realistic). They eventually figured out they should look around the back of the first tower, at which point I ran away screaming from the archers, up the hill, and behind a rock right before the giant camp. Then I shot the giants and ran screaming back down the hill. Goodbye archer. Goodbye second archer. Goodbye dude with the giant hammer who thought he could handle this guys, he's totally got it. I ran up the now empty tower, thinking there were two dudes at most left to deal with. No, there were five, and they were mad. Ran back across the bridge, but there's a very angry giant camping the tower entrance, so I ran halfway down the tower, and jumped to the ground from the wooden platform. Naturally, the bandits went the proper route to get to me. No joke, I genuinely cackled.

Giants are better than trolls.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 6, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

kartikeya posted:

- I think I mentioned, but it's a nice tradeoff that, while Requiem has few perks and they're all just kind of "do thing better" with some occasional neat extra tossed in, each one of these seems real powerful in comparison to Ordinator/Vokrii, which is what I've been using for a while. And as much as I enjoy Vokriinator, all the 'do x in y time while z happens' stuff doesn't work too well with how I tend to play the game (smithing perk where you get a timed combat buff for a few minutes after crafting something in a forge, I'm looking at you). Sticking a point in a perk in Requiem feels noticeable.

I haven't played those other overhauls but yeah, I like how different a character plays with, say, a perk each in Block, One Handed, and Evasion (ok maybe you'd need to grab dodge for this to be true) vs Conjuration, Marksman, and Sneak.

kartikeya posted:

- I really like Skald's Mail. I don't know why, if I glanced at the mod I'd pass it up without thinking, but it's a neat little thing and it's also really easy to add a mailbox if you want another one somewhere.

Skald's mail and the courier delivering commission notices to me are neat, they give the word a little more bustle.

kartikeya posted:

- I have no idea why the performance is worse than Lexy's list, unless it's just the extra Requiem scripts running. It runs fine, but I've had noticeable hitches and framerate drops where I haven't before. This probably just needs some refining.

:hmyes: Sometimes I get hitching; doesn't seem to stay, doesn't seem to be tied to my PC otherwise. Restarting Skyrim seems to fix it and it doesn't happen before? I'm on a 3060 GPU laptop with a 1080p display and I have to play on the "High" ENB.

kartikeya posted:

- I've been meaning to try Sunhelm, Wildlander has it for eating/drinking/sleeping needs. Haven't had any problems at all with it, like it better than Realistic Needs and Diseases/iNeed.

Reminds me of Valhiem in a positive way; you can't die of thirst or hunger, but you'll be encouraged to keep a powerful buff going. The various stews and such last forty real-world minutes so it's not tedious either. I keep forgetting to visit a shrine before eating though, because the buff is technically a magical effect it gets cleared.

Oh, I also like how, the longer you live in Skyrim and spend time in its wildernesses, you become more like a Nord - you can slowly perk your way up to their Frost resistance.

kartikeya posted:

- loving sold on Immersive Horses at this point. The only thing I miss is harvesting while riding, and IH gives me a hotkey to just tell my horse to follow, so I can amble down the road picking flowers like a true badass.

Absolutely, I do wish my follower could have a horse though. Speaking of, it makes me wish those Lucien and ... Iago? NPCs were in the game, I think they can ride horses?

kartikeya posted:

- Also loving sold on these city overhauls, though I've noticed all the interiors seem to be vanilla, which is a bit bare and jarring in comparison. Maybe I've been spoiled by JKs, because I forgot the clothing shop in Solitude was so empty and not full of tempting jewelry without that mod.

Yeah, Serenity uses what I guess are JK's mods, because the stores in Serenity are so much more filled with merchandise. Also, I feel like the default traderoutes mod (or something) is maybe giving these merchants too much gold? I mean some of them have a lot.

kartikeya posted:

- I'm not sure if it's Requiem or something else that adds village ruins here and there (generally near bandit forts), but that combined with the constant Stormcloak vs. Imperial battles really does make it feel like there's a civil war on a bit more.

Yeah when I got out by the Whiterun watchtower I got them old S.T.A.L.K.E.R. vibes; poking through eerie ruins and always with a building feeling of dread. I have a very superstitious dislike of that ruined town and end up hurrying through it any time I'm nearby.

kartikeya posted:

- Honed Metal is great, and I've got only two complaints: first, there's either a bug with it or Wildlander where Requiem's Dragonborn smithing perks aren't recognized, which means nobody in the game, even on Solstheim, can create/temper chitin/bonemold/nordic armor, and second, not particularly a complaint, but it seems very, very easy to get incredibly good equipment at low levels. I think this probably works just fine with Wildlander's setup, but in other lists it might be seriously overpowered.

I had the same experience on the second point; you can craft various light chainmails ("Nord Mail") with a single crafting perk and it's on par with or even better than Elven. I'm another character now and I've just resolved not to make those.

Speaking of, this second character was driven to smithing, after I wanted to avoid it in this second play through, after Arianna in Whiterun charged me eight hundred Septims to put an edge on my sword and temper my shield, boots, and gloves. I was level 3!

kartikeya posted:

- That said, iEquip would disagree, as sometimes it just throws a temper tantrum. iEquip is pretty useful when it works (which is most of the time, even if it's janky), and really obnoxious when it decides not to. I can't figure out where the potions/poisons/powers are on the HUD, probably because I am a dumb, so I've been ignoring them. I'm not sure if this is better than simply using a mod that lets you hotkey different setups.

Your buffs go in the bottom right by that temperature gauge. Applied poisons are right next to the icon of the weapon.

kartikeya posted:

- I am not at all a fan of how long it takes to get up when you're knocked down, and you get knocked down a lot. A number of annoying deaths where I just got stun locked on the ground over and over again.

Ugh, same. I feel like a Sabercat shouldn't be stronger than a bear, but it is - or at least much more dangerous, because if that pounce lands that's probably it.

kartikeya posted:

- I've barely engaged in combat outside of shooting wolves and sabrecats, and aside from two bandit encampments, I haven't really sought it out, it's just come to me (usually screaming out of a bush wielding dual enchanted maces holy hell, Dark Brotherhood). That'll change soon, but I've been sticking all my points into thief skills, so I'm a little twerp who steals everything in sight and then takes advantage of the fact that people fall over if I run over them with my horse. Some misc quests (and loving Blood on the Ice) aside, I've largely been doing Missives deliveries and Thieves Guild stuff. It's been pretty chill, and that's what I wanted.

That's interesting; reminds me of my first character, who viewed dungeons primarily as a lucrative financial opportunity - and who'd hire a mercenary to go first. Do you think you'll become the Dragonborn with this character? I ended up calling the first character "done" and rolled up a new PC, but I like to imagine they're living in the same game world and just haven't run into each other yet.

kartikeya posted:

- I slapped Experience over the top of this thing with no regard for if it hosed everything up. It did not gently caress everything up. I've been using these settings with a few tweaks (Missives, for instance, needs misc quests turned on if you want anything out of it), and it's quite slow leveling, which I like for this list.

Dang, I really might need to do that. I hate gaining several levels from, say, Smithing, and an XP system addresses that.

kartikeya posted:

- I have no idea how Spell Research works, and I'm not sure I see a reason for it even if I were playing a mage, as you can just buy spells. It's something I've wanted to mess with, but in the list as is it seems to have no real purpose.

The spell research system is so cool, it's robust enough to be in some completely new game, or even a table top RPG. Because it's jury rigged into Skyrim it's a bit clunky, but here's how it works:

Equip a spell, then use the Spell Research Journal. That gives you a few options:

The most important option, to me, is Research, so I'll cover it first.

To research, equip the spell, use the Spell Research Journal, and then choose "research". This puts your character in a "researching mode", you'll notice you pause to get out some notes and junk. It's important to understand that this applies a mana debuff to you. Once you're in Researching Mode, you'll stay in that mode, with that mana debuff until one of three things happens: You get in combat (you shouldn't have been running around while in research mode but whatever), you run out of mana (more on that in a second), or you use the Spell Research Journal again to stop researching.

So, what does Researching do? Well, if use the journal again while in research mode, you'll notice you have a similarly worded option that's something like "perform research". This makes a rest timer where you can choose how long you want to research. Every hour debuffs 10 mana and you can only research until your mana gets too low. This builds the associated skill. If the skill is very low, and you have a lot of mana on hand to sustain a long period of research, you can some pretty nice skill points.

You remove the mana debuff by sleeping. But what I'd really stress is that you won't actually leave "Research Mode" until you either research yourself to mana exhaustion (this has a pop up) or you go back into the Spell Research Journal and "Stop Researching" .This can be really confusing because otherwise you could sleep and sleep and you'll never seem to have full mana because you're still in that "Research Mode". If you're researching for 12 hours straight you'll almost certainly just hit your mana limit and get kicked out of research automatically, but if you're just grabbing an hour or three before bed you'll want to make sure to actually end the Research Mode.

So that's researching, it's very handy both to get started with a low level skill (maybe you perked into a magic school and have literally 0 points in the skill!) and also to help squeeze out a few points here on there on magic skills that are hard to level otherwise, like Conjuration or Alteration.

Regarding the other options in the Spell Research Journal, they're much more straight forard:

Analyze - this tells you what your equipped spell is like. This is important for writing a thesis.

Thesis - you write out an element of the equipped spell, like "Healing" or "Targets other people". You choose a spell level, like Novice or Apprentice, when you do this. So you could make, for example, a Novice Healing thesis. This consumes ink and paper.

Compose Spell - This is what you do with your theses. You combine several theses to learn a new spell. For example, say you know "Healing Aura on Self" but don't know "Healing Aura on Target"; well, if you can get enough appropriate theses, you can learn that spell. You don't need literally every theses that would comprise the spell, you just need enough; the details on how many you need aren't clear to me. But a real-world example was when I used my knowledge of how to summon a Ghostly Mudcrab to also learn the spell Summon Spectral Hound.

Write Scroll and Write Spell Tome - I think these just make the associated item, but every time I've tried I haven't had enough ink and paper. But I imagine it's just things like "I would like to have my Summon Spirit Wolf spell written onto a scroll".

kartikeya posted:

- I have no idea why, but Wearable Lanterns is bugging the gently caress out on me in this playthrough. I've used that mod for ages without any problems, but I had to turn off oil use because it kept running out despite not even having the lantern equipped, and I've had it repeatedly happen where the lantern light won't activate either.

Same, I use torches or the Candlelight spell.

kartikeya posted:

- All the extra clothes and armor variety are cool. I want to keep those.

Absolutely, the new clothes do as much to brighten up the NPCs as the overhauled faces and hairstyles. The sister at Riverwood Trader has a really nice looking plaid tunic I'd like to see incorporated into some armor.

kartikeya posted:

story time

That's great; Giants are nuts. It does make me wonder why someone doesn't mod in "giant fear" similar to Dragons. Are you really that much less hosed if either of them is coming at you?

Also, did you poke around the tower afterwards? Did you find the book in the top of the second tower?

Edit: Spell Research really is so cool, it's very immersive. For example, if you're playing a character with no knowledge of magic, it can weird to just perk into sudenly knowing spells. But if you, say, go to a Temple or a Jarl's mage and buy one of their spell books, you can read it, then perform Research on the spell, and (since your skill in it is 0 to start with), you'll gain several skill rankings very quickly. In fact, what I like to do is buy the spell, gain a lot of skill ups from researching it, and then when that puts me up to my next level then that perk point becomes the first perk point of that magical school. Really adds a sense of learning the basics of a new skill. I like to imagine the priest or mage was patiently answering some questions, too.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 6, 2022

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

:hmyes: Sometimes I get hitching; doesn't seem to stay, doesn't seem to be tied to my PC otherwise. Restarting Skyrim seems to fix it and it doesn't happen before? I'm on a 3060 GPU laptop with a 1080p display and I have to play on the "High" ENB.

I've got a trusty 2080 TI, and play at 4k, though my CPU is getting pretty old and I think it's also getting fussy. Lexy's will hitch now and then, but Wildlander has generally been running 10-ish FPS lower, and I'm not a person who tends to really notice FPS. It also seems to have a lot more pop in.

quote:

Reminds me of Valhiem in a positive way; you can't die of thirst or hunger, but you'll be encouraged to keep a powerful buff going. The various stews and such last forty real-world minutes so it's not tedious either. I keep forgetting to visit a shrine before eating though, because the buff is technically a magical effect it gets cleared.

For the record, and anyone not trying the list right now, I haven't been paying attention to food/shrine buffs terribly much, and it's been just fine. Useful to do so, but not required.

quote:

Absolutely, I do wish my follower could have a horse though. Speaking of, it makes me wish those Lucien and ... Iago? NPCs were in the game, I think they can ride horses?

Inigo and Lucien, yeah. You can give Inigo a horse almost immediately, he'll name it (or, if it's Frost, call it by that name), talk to it, etc. My biggest complaint about Lucien (which isn't actually a complaint, really) is that he won't have a horse until his quests are done. They don't take a long time, and it's a cute thing when he gets the horse, but it does mean he's just trotting around behind you making occasional snarky comments about not being able to ride until you can get them done. I also had Inigo with me, so the poor dude was sandwiched between two horses.

I've heard something about a bit of trouble between Inigo and Immersive Horses, but I'm not sure what it is.

I think NFF has a follower horse system, though Wildlander doesn't use it. No idea if that works well with Immersive Horses.

quote:

Yeah, Serenity uses what I guess are JK's mods, because the stores in Serenity are so much more filled with merchandise. Also, I feel like the default traderoutes mod (or something) is maybe giving these merchants too much gold? I mean some of them have a lot.

I honestly like them having so much more gold (and there are those, like the fences, that seem to have more or less what they had before), it was always kind of weird that they didn't. It may be my imagination that they have a bit more items in stock, but it feels like they do at times. What really surprises me is they have end game ingots and those ingots feel really, really cheap. Lexy's has a version of Morrowloot though (lol I have Opinions on Morrowloot, though I think it's fine enough), so it may just be whiplash.

quote:

Your buffs go in the bottom right by that temperature gauge. Applied poisons are right next to the icon of the weapon.

Oh, yes, sorry, I've seen those, but there's a potion/poison/power queue of some sort from what I understand, and I can't tell where they might be meant to show up (if they are).

quote:

Ugh, same. I feel like a Sabercat shouldn't be stronger than a bear, but it is - or at least much more dangerous, because if that pounce lands that's probably it.

Maces are an absolute nightmare for this. The aforementioned Dark Brotherhood assassin dual wielding enchanted maces stunlocked the absolute hell out of me repeatedly, to the point I thought that was just the enchantment on the weaponry. When I finally killed him after many reloads (I'm stubborn, and he was stupid enough to chase me through a giant camp), I found out that nope, it's just a thing. The list has the faster standup animation mod, but it sure as hell isn't enough. There needs to be a cooldown on that poo poo, though I have no idea if that's even possible with Skyrim's engine.

quote:

That's interesting; reminds me of my first character, who viewed dungeons primarily as a lucrative financial opportunity - and who'd hire a mercenary to go first. Do you think you'll become the Dragonborn with this character? I ended up calling the first character "done" and rolled up a new PC, but I like to imagine they're living in the same game world and just haven't run into each other yet.

At the rate I'm going, I won't reach the point at which I can become Dragonborn. If I stick with the list, I'm going to want to mod it a bit more. As an aside, again to folks who haven't tried it, this list looks to be rather harder to modify without cracking something, I think just because everything's so tightly tied to everything else. Obviously they don't want you to modify it, but a lot of options even in the mods included are pretty locked down, which is understandable but a bit of a shame. In any case, if I stick with it much longer, I'm going to want to restart if I change anything more.

quote:

Dang, I really might need to do that. I hate gaining several levels from, say, Smithing, and an XP system addresses that.

I was really dubious the first time I played a list with it included, but the truth is playing one without it now makes me miss it. It's honestly just a more customizable version of what's in Fallout 4 already, and as I always found the ES leveling system to be a little obnoxious, it suits very well with how I like to play. As mentioned it's slow going, especially to start. You gain experience via doing quests/killing/discovering stuff (all adjustable rates), and not skillups (unless you change that for some reason), which means that at low levels with this kind of list, where you have to go and do stuff to gain any levels, you level much slower than the 'gain ten skillups' method.

I like it. It would be bad if the game were actually this slow in vanilla, for basically the same reason unleveling Bleak Falls Barrow would have been a bad choice in vanilla, but I feel there's a difference, and sometimes a very important one, between "thing I like" and "good game design".

I didn't realize spell research would give you skill increases, that's useful. Basically what I mean is that it's a neat thing, but, mechanically, quite pointless when you can just go buy the spells in far, far less time. When I've seen it in other lists, it's been with spelltomes either being incredibly rare or simply non-existent. I haven't poked at the spell perk trees yet, and it's been too long for me to remember, but it looks like you do get two spells as you perk up? Removing all spells from vendors and just going with those two until you research more would work much better. Though you then run the risk of being a pure caster that's incredibly weak until they can research the spells they want (or get lucky).

quote:

That's great; Giants are nuts. It does make me wonder why someone doesn't mod in "giant fear" similar to Dragons. Are you really that much less hosed if either of them is coming at you?

Also, did you poke around the tower afterwards? Did you find the book in the top of the second tower?

I poked around, but I'm not sure I found a unique book. By the time I was able to pincushion the giant to death (this giant didn't want to swim, it turns out) and got around to looting things, the sun had gone down and it was storming and pitch dark.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

MMA fighter Robert Whittaker is a Skyrim modder.

"Are you in game?"

"This is the game."

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Question time: I'm trying to get into Dynamic Animation Replacer, and I won't lie, setting it up feels intimidating. For an example, I want to use greatsword attack animations from JH Combat Animations and Elder Souls. Is that possible?

And since I install my mods through MO2, do I need to copy the folders from each mods respective CustomConditions folder to DAR for them to work properly?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Welp, I am loving done with Wildlander, gently caress that poo poo. Mostly Requiem's fault for being kinda bullshit. The challenge was fun at first, but once I started getting decently powerful hte REAL bullshit began. Labyrinthian just broke me. It also quite literally broke both my NPC companions, as they were suddenly permanently surrendering and cowering to even a single low level dragur (when I tried to adjust their AI in LifeFollowerPackage's settings it was struck on COWARDLY, and trying to change it just caused the field to go blank for a moment before being filled by "VERAEMINA"....

Seriously though, gently caress that place in Requiem (or at least Wildlander's version). The first room with a bunch of Dragur and a Skeleton dragon is challenging enough even normally, but they threw in two loving Dragon Priests and even more Draugur archers. Somehow I managed to get through that by not agroing the two priests at the far end of the room until the dragon skeleton and dragur were dealt with and then somehow managed to kill them, but then a few more rooms in its another priest in tight quarters with more dragur and my AI buddies have suddenly broken and won't fight..

I think I'll try out Septimus 2.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sorry to hear that; I've had to roll back a save more than once for wonky followers.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Welp, I am loving done with Wildlander, gently caress that poo poo. Mostly Requiem's fault for being kinda bullshit. The challenge was fun at first, but once I started getting decently powerful hte REAL bullshit began. Labyrinthian just broke me. It also quite literally broke both my NPC companions, as they were suddenly permanently surrendering and cowering to even a single low level dragur (when I tried to adjust their AI in LifeFollowerPackage's settings it was struck on COWARDLY, and trying to change it just caused the field to go blank for a moment before being filled by "VERAEMINA"....

Seriously though, gently caress that place in Requiem (or at least Wildlander's version). The first room with a bunch of Dragur and a Skeleton dragon is challenging enough even normally, but they threw in two loving Dragon Priests and even more Draugur archers. Somehow I managed to get through that by not agroing the two priests at the far end of the room until the dragon skeleton and dragur were dealt with and then somehow managed to kill them, but then a few more rooms in its another priest in tight quarters with more dragur and my AI buddies have suddenly broken and won't fight..

I think I'll try out Septimus 2.

It should be a cakewalk by comparison.
I just unlocked the alteration perk that gives free lightning bolts forever.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

So I know that Legacy has a decent implementation of an outfit system, but is there a mod that automates swapping based on location/activity? Even something that swaps based on inside/outside/dungeon like what NFF does for followers would be handy. The LotD system is great but it sucks when I forget to put on my fighting clothes and get slammed while wearing my crafting enchant robes or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jesus christ they dolled up Serena in Septimus absolutely ready to find what other cringeworthy poo poo they did. :ughh: