Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Yes. Scotland and Wales are part of great Britain. Northern Ireland isnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

a quagoon

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MikeCrotch posted:

He's not going to ban the paper but if you pick it up on the train a Labour commissar shoves you out a window

Defenestration of Doncaster

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

maskenfreiheit posted:

a person from Scotland is British?

Yes, anyone from England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland is British.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

UrbicaMortis posted:

then why do they call it the united kingdumb of great britain AND northern ireland :thunk:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

UrbicaMortis posted:

no the last bit is irish iirc

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
edit: wrong thread

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

maskenfreiheit posted:

no the last bit is irish iirc

the whole deal with northern ireland is that they consider themselves british not irish

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

nopantsjack posted:

the whole deal with northern ireland is that they consider themselves british not irish

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

then why do they call it the united kingdumb of great britain AND northern ireland :thunk:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Because the biggest island in the British Isles is Great Britain and Northern Ireland is on Ireland, but is politically separate from the Republic of Ireland and there's no separate term for someone from the UK basically.

I'm guessing British came into use between the union of the crowns of Scotland and England in 1603 and the 1800 Act of Union that created the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

UrbicaMortis posted:

Yes, anyone from England, Wales, Scotland
Yes

quote:

and Northern Ireland is British.
no

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

saying that Ireland is part of the British archipelago is a funny way to gently caress with the Irish btw

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Because the biggest island in the British Isles is Great Britain and Northern Ireland is on Ireland, but is politically separate from the Republic of Ireland and there's no separate term for someone from the UK basically.

I'm guessing British came into use between the union of the crowns of Scotland and England in 1603 and the 1800 Act of Union that created the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
Northern Ireland is pretty much as politically separate from the rest of the UK as the Republic.

They don't have the same parties, differ on many laws, still not so much dogwhistle as foghorn their sectarian shite and the parties allied to the theoretically credible British-not-Bradish ones are dead.

The DUP might have 10 MPs in the house of commons, but so what?, if Varadkar offered the PM 10 thatcherite Fine Gael men for a billion quid, she might go for it.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

jBrereton posted:

the theoretically credible British-not-Bradish ones are dead.

s e r v e s t h o s e f u k k e r s r i g h t :twisted:

b r a d w a v e f t w 

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

which ones of you are romans?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Don't sign your tweets Boris

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

s e r v e s t h o s e f u k k e r s r i g h t :twisted:

b r a d w a v e f t w 

DUP and Sinn Fein flavours of ultranationalism are complete poo poo and the reason NI has self depopulated into oblivion.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jBrereton posted:

DUP and Sinn Fein flavours of ultranationalism are complete poo poo and the reason NI has self depopulated into oblivion.

sinn fein owns

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Aliquid posted:

the ira owns
:twisted:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Aliquid posted:

sinn fein owns
Sinn Fein are p much exactly as bent as the DUP, which is the reason that Eamonn McCann managed to take a seat off them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jBrereton posted:

Sinn Fein are p much exactly as bent as the DUP, which is the reason that Eamonn McCann managed to take a seat off them.

the Lucky Horseshoe theory

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

forkboy84 posted:

there's no separate term for someone from the UK basically.
Uker

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
If they're famous the word is nonce

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If anyone specifically refers to themselves as English rather than British they are almost certainly a prick

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm geordie m8

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

MikeCrotch posted:

If anyone specifically refers to themselves as English rather than British they are almost certainly a prick

i refer to myself as english because that's where i'm from and because norfolkian isn't a recognised ethnic minority.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

:eyepop:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/42638420

lmao poor old Tim Farron fearing hell

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i still can't believe they made a god botherer their leader

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

jBrereton posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/42638420

lmao poor old Tim Farron fearing hell

quote:

Mr Farron also said he had been right to step down immediately after the election, in which the party did not make as much ground as it had hoped, saying he found himself in a situation where "either I let the party down or I compromised my faith".

In true lib-dem fashion, he failed both.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

i still can't believe they made a god botherer their leader
after kennedy got spiked I think they realised how un deep their bench was when they all started leaking what each other got up to to the press.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

MikeCrotch posted:

When we were checking the company history of a few contracters when comparing quotes we decided against the one who had put down "White English" as their nationality on their company formation documents.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

c u c k

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/951396850069856256

quote:

Speaking on Channel 5’s The Wright Stuff, Mr Farage: “What is for certain is that the Cleggs, the Blairs, the Adonises will never, ever, ever give up.

“They will go on whinging and whining and moaning all the way through this process.

“So maybe – just maybe – I’m reaching the point of thinking that we should have a second referendum on EU membership.”

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh hell yeah. double brexit alpha

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's actually insane to me that the supposedly liberal party had the most openly homophobic leader in UK politics for 2 years. What is the party even for.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

hahahahahhaa

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've just now found out that the British liberal democrats apparently had a conservative christian as their main candidate. lol?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

lol none of the original brexiteers actually wanted it to happen because they want their name in the history books but not as "racist moron who brought about the great british depression"

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

i can appreciate the Liberalism inherent in simultaneously believing gay sex to be morally wrong while opposing any legislation discouraging it but it's kind of a bad fit for the party that's trying to be the socially liberal fiscally conservative-ish third party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's realised that once we leave the EU nobody will ever want anything to do with him again