Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The loopholes people come up with to abide by the "rules" is just nuts, and kind of insulting to your "all knowing" god to think that you're pulling a fast one on him.

At one point we looked in to offering some "Halal" investing options in our company 401k, and the vast majority of the funds are just hilariously usurious in many ways but they avoid technically paying "interest" and it's a captive audience I guess so they seem to persist.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The term is Sophistry.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Islamic finance is working under the assumption that God is all knowing and all powerful, but not that good at basic math or logic. It just as ridiculous when Jews figure out some gadget to answer a phone on a Saturday or Christians only have anal before marriage.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Rules-lawyering God is a tradition that stretches back thousands of years

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

brugroffil posted:

Yet the Bible specifically addresses white lies. Rules-lawying God reserves your place in hell (so you can have as much anal as you want).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eh the idea of an all-powerful all-wise being whose mind and existence lie outside of space and time, who created the vast reaches of the universe in all its glorious complexity and all life on earth in its strange and beautiful and horrifying diversity, and who is in small-minded pettiness primarily concerned with what day you push an elevator button and which hole a penis goes in and when isn't any more absurd than proposing that same being could be tricked by automating an elevator or buying indulgences.

You're already believing that God is obsessed with what side dishes you have with your meat, is it really any sillier to believe that God won't notice if you get up and walk to a different table to eat your ice cream and call it a different meal? You're already proposing a god who is fine with cheese and fine with burgers but gets His panties in a wad with a cheeseburger, He can't get any dumber, might as well make Him unobservant and easily duped too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BWM: Don't piss off your banker.

So I shut down one of my client's accounts today because he's a total rear end in a top hat. Totally ended his relationship with our firm and he walked out of my branch with a cashier's check for ~$200k and change with a confused look on his face like he couldn't believe someone would treat him like that. He's gonna get another fun surprise when he finds out the month we've been spending on a refi for his mortgage is now thrown in the garbage and he'll have to start over at another institution.

Pro tip: Don't call a teller "that black bitch behind the glass" when you're pissed off that I won't commit fraud because you had people sign a document (who aren't even present) before you showed up for me to notarize. loving idiot.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

How to draw money away from essential oils buyers

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

So I shut down one of my client's accounts today because he's a total rear end in a top hat. Totally ended his relationship with our firm and he walked out of my branch with a cashier's check for ~$200k and change with a confused look on his face like he couldn't believe someone would treat him like that. He's gonna get another fun surprise when he finds out the month we've been spending on a refi for his mortgage is now thrown in the garbage and he'll have to start over at another institution.

Pro tip: Don't call a teller "that black bitch behind the glass" when you're pissed off that I won't commit fraud because you had people sign a document (who aren't even present) before you showed up for me to notarize. loving idiot.

That's some efficient service. When I got angry with my bank I demanded they close all my accounts and they wasted a lot of time doing it. Keep up the good work and hopefully your former customer fails to refinance their house.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, things move quickly when a bank isn't trying to keep your business. And he'll be just fine, unfortunately. I'm looking forward to reading the scathing complaint he's probably going to send. Gonna be my first!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

MLMs are still the absolute worst.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The local Klan probably has a credit union so there's probably refinancing available. You have a pretty solid response to the complaint, it's not like management can support racism without throwing themselves under the bus.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Youth Decay posted:

MLMs are still the absolute worst.

What are probationers

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

brugroffil posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

There is nothing the chosen people love more than feeling like they're tricking the Almighty

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Drunk Tomato posted:

What are probationers

people for whom you are their probation officer

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Oh my god can you imagine being required to buy and use essential oils as a condition of your probation? I bet if it hasn't happened yet it will soon.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Spokes posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

There is nothing the chosen people love more than feeling like they're tricking the Almighty

It's actually a legit part of talmudic stuff tho

Unlike in Christianity or Islam

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

bob dobbs is dead posted:

It's actually a legit part of talmudic stuff tho

Unlike in Christianity or Islam

Muslims have thier own system of rules lawyering and I don't see how it differs meaningfully from what Jews have going on. Christians have baaically thrown the rules out the window depending on denomination.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

therobit posted:

Muslims have thier own system of rules lawyering and I don't see how it differs meaningfully from what Jews have going on. Christians have baaically thrown the rules out the window depending on denomination.

They do however have a very bad tendency to bring back old rules they threw out when it's convenient.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

They do however have a very bad tendency to bring back old rules they threw out when it's convenient.

Said everyone ever, unfortunately. :(

When in doubt, assume everyone's going to hell and that they're acting accordingly.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Let's just say I've taken a call about the exact situation he's had for a financial institution and upon research, that was the answer.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/former-anz-boss-tracey-lee-cook-sentenced-over-300k-scam/news-story/b40a62ee77d472f77dace89dd7950ec6

quote:

On Thursday, a judge called her “greedy” and lashed her for taking advantage of her plum $200,000-a-year position. It heard her household brought in an annual income of $500,000.

quote:

A MOTHER-OF-TWO who used her plum job at ANZ bank — and her power over junior employees — to steal more than $300,000 cried in court as she was jailed.

Tracey Lee Cook was found guilty last week of obtaining financial advantage by deception when she transferred $311,529.62 in fraudulent cheques into accounts belonging to herself and her husband.

This is such a beautiful combination of being very BWL and BWM. Household income 500k+ so she steals 300k+ from her employer and gets jailed.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

Lol owned

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Came across this in the schad thread and figured you'd get a kick out of it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BattleMoose posted:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/former-anz-boss-tracey-lee-cook-sentenced-over-300k-scam/news-story/b40a62ee77d472f77dace89dd7950ec6

This is such a beautiful combination of being very BWL and BWM. Household income 500k+ so she steals 300k+ from her employer and gets jailed.

It's no wonder the Federal Government has been forced to act to find out what's really going on in the Australian banking sector. I'm wondering if fraud will be uncovered in the New Zealand branches too.

With a household income of $500k how could they not already be living an exceptional lifestyle. There's no good reason to put effort into stealing money with that pay.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Devian666 posted:

It's no wonder the Federal Government has been forced to act to find out what's really going on in the Australian banking sector. I'm wondering if fraud will be uncovered in the New Zealand branches too.

With a household income of $500k how could they not already be living an exceptional lifestyle. There's no good reason to put effort into stealing money with that pay.

The really weird thing about money is you never have enough of it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

BattleMoose posted:

I’m amazed they actually locked her up. In America we reserve prison for people who steal <10k or so.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Butcher posted:

I like how like half of these are targeted at the Chinese.

Know your market I guess. :shrug:

And then they were like "well what are white austrailians into?" "Uhhh pop culture and koalas? "

Like any decent status-fearing Chinese person would get silver over gold.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

BattleMoose posted:

Eh, for 2 years in minimum security, I'd consider being "paid" $300,000 pretty reasonable.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Eh, for 2 years in minimum security, I'd consider being "paid" $300,000 pretty reasonable.

australian minimum security and australian 300k, to be fair

(i have no idea what the implications of either of those things are)

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Spokes posted:

australian minimum security and australian 300k, to be fair

(i have no idea what the implications of either of those things are)

Absolute cakewalk, according to a criminal prick son of a former neighbour and definitely more than I could otherwise "earn" in two years.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I assume Australia has restitution.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Blinkman987 posted:

I assume Australia has restitution.

"Aww, jeez, mate, I spent it all on heroin, and there's no way I buried a sack of cash out in the bush."

Seriously, a banker that doesn't know how to hide cash? Come off it.

EDIT: In this case, I think it's likely that she stole the money to pay off her twenty maxed out credit cards, 125% mortgage, a fleet of SUVs purchased on credit and ways of over-extending credit and plainly wasting money that I can't even imagine.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 16, 2018

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Eh the idea of an all-powerful all-wise being whose mind and existence lie outside of space and time, who created the vast reaches of the universe in all its glorious complexity and all life on earth in its strange and beautiful and horrifying diversity, and who is in small-minded pettiness primarily concerned with what day you push an elevator button and which hole a penis goes in and when isn't any more absurd than proposing that same being could be tricked by automating an elevator or buying indulgences.

You're already believing that God is obsessed with what side dishes you have with your meat, is it really any sillier to believe that God won't notice if you get up and walk to a different table to eat your ice cream and call it a different meal? You're already proposing a god who is fine with cheese and fine with burgers but gets His panties in a wad with a cheeseburger, He can't get any dumber, might as well make Him unobservant and easily duped too.

Obligatory:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

"Aww, jeez, mate, I spent it all on heroin, and there's no way I buried a sack of cash out in the bush."

Seriously, a banker that doesn't know how to hide cash? Come off it.

EDIT: In this case, I think it's likely that she stole the money to pay off her twenty maxed out credit cards, 125% mortgage, a fleet of SUVs purchased on credit and ways of over-extending credit and plainly wasting money that I can't even imagine.

Courts can garnish your wages in the US.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Dillbag posted:

Obligatory:

Put another pic on the end that's "your mom"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Devian666 posted:

A gold plated backscratcher? What am I, some kind of poor?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sic Semper Goon posted:

White collar crime is never punished with hard time. The real punishment is restitution and her career is now wiped out. She couldn’t afford her lifestyle on a 200k salary and now she’ll be lucky to make 30k.

Maybe her husband will support her now. Maybe she’ll get divorce papers delivered to her in prison. Her life is going to suck going forward.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

White collar crime is never punished with hard time. The real punishment is restitution and her career is now wiped out. She couldn’t afford her lifestyle on a 200k salary and now she’ll be lucky to make 30k.

Maybe her husband will support her now. Maybe she’ll get divorce papers delivered to her in prison. Her life is going to suck going forward.

She'll be a financial analyst on Fox News before she's even out of her prison jump suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

Courts can garnish your wages in the US.

The great news is that after being convicted of embezzlement and/or other related felonies there's no way you will get a job where you'll make enough wages to garnish