Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Aesaar posted:

I really like how Citizens will talk all day about how it's realistic to have to fly 20 minutes to get somewhere where you can do poo poo, or how it shouldn't cut corners or compromise on "reality" in the name of fun gameplay.

But when you point out how CIG's tank has no internal space for an engine, transmission, suspension, or a turret mounting, or doesn't have sort of way to access the wheels and tracks for field maintenance, yet has enough empty space inside for a beer pong tournament, suddenly no one's trying to design a realistic tank and real tank designs don't matter, this is a game.
I agree it's ridiculous. However there is a gaming audience that appears to like this type of gameplay, even though you and I think it's silly.

Look at this: here are people trying to enjoy their virtual biker house in Second Life, for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaTYFs380rI

SecondLife looks boring as hell to me, but yet it currently has 800,000 to 900,000 active users and is still profitable due to transactions in virtual goods (per recent google-search).
I think Crobert's initial Star Citizen promises also captured the attention (somewhat exploitatively) of a similar player base, though Croberts stumbled upon this fortune by accident.

Out of the supposedly $170 million given I don't know how much of that represents a similar consumer base that would want to play Star Citizen in the same fashion as Second Life. However Crobert's dreams of being a successful film maker have contributed to the risk of Star Citizen never becoming a Second-life style space MMORPG for a portion of the pledge-base.

And noting from the pre-recorded "Livestream" that this first SQ42 mission could not be shown in it's entirety, just shows how Croberts bit off more than he could chew: if it took this long to get only part of one mission filmed and demonstrated, how much longer could it take to complete the rest of the missions so they are in a playable state? Three years? Five years? Since the demo mission was pre-recorded we have no idea how long it really took to assemble, considering all the possible technical issues that would cause SQ42 to have to be restarted. It could have taken months.

Croberts probably thought he could just show incremental improvement in the PTU and SQ42 each year to keep things going on for a long time. But now that this CryTek lawsuit has arrived, which is his own fault, the future is very uncertain for Crobert's schemes.

2018 will be a very interesting year for Croberts and crew.

EDIT: Cat-Court tax

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Ash1138 posted:

oh and cig can gently caress off with that lovely depth of field effect

You mean you don't like it when the thing that the player/character would actually be looking at is blurred beyond recognition?

Also, for people who have tried 3.0: Is the UI and object interaction really as obtuse as it looks? Pulling that grate off and then having to slowly ram the mouse offscreen to find the propt to put it down seems needlessly complicated. What's wrong with a keypress to pick up and a second keypress to drop?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I was once active in a community that was centered on naval simulation, mostly the Silent Hunter series. (SH3 was a real good game btw) and I remember there were some nutcases that actually played the game in real time. Like, when they were to cross the Atlantic, they didn’t speed up time (as the game allowed you to) but instead drew up a route and let the computer to its thing. This meant that a single session would last weeks if not months, most of that time just having the computer idly do its thing.

These same people has evolved from hunting cargo ships among the whales, to become space whales themselves. I guarantee it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hazamuth posted:

Engineer with a scottish (?) accent? Come the gently caress on.

This is a movie trope Chris Roberts can’t possibly diverge from.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Republicanus posted:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/23/massively-ops-best-of-2017-awards-most-likely-to-flop/

The Massively OP staff pick for Most Likely to Flop in 2018 or Beyond is…

STAR CITIZEN

Blood in the water.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

We have reached the "X can not fail, only be failed" stage.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
In what level of denial are you when you entertain the idea that EVE Online is up for failure in 2018?

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

I swear to god, this whole CIG/SC/S42 situation sometimes reaches divine comedy levels of parody.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BigglesSWE posted:

In what level of denial are you when you entertain the idea that EVE Online is up for failure in 2018?

:ccp: is its own worst enemy.

It'll persist for a couple more years at least, but it's undoubtedly in its twilight years.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

PederP posted:

These people who want everything to take forever and be almost entirely uneventful need to play A Tale in the Desert. When I played it there was no quick travel or teleporting. You had to walk everywhere. My character was spawned somewhere on the tip of the Sinai peninsula and I built my stuff there. Unfortunately that meant that if I wanted to go to the Nile delta, I had to spend hours running through the Sinai desert. Just going to a nearby Sinai guild to trade and hang out could easily take 30 minutes of running.

Building anything took forever as you needed to harvest crazy amounts of resources and every single mechanic was a timesink. I think they have chariots and some pseudo-quick travel (which takes a very long time to gain), but it's still really good at wasting your time from what I can see. But I dunno if they'd like not being able to buy into non-pleb status, as it is very much a social game and you can't really accomplish anything on your own. The game also starts over on a regular basis. That could potentially cause some grief.

I can't believe this is still going. When I was in high school I worked for a small website reviewing video games and I did a preview of this game when it was in beta. I got a call from the developer and he took me around the map using some kind of teleportation thing to show me all the stuff people had been working and to let me see the various parts of the map.

It was incredibly impressive in its size and community at the time. The focus on community and working together instead of killing each other was also pretty novel back then, which was kinda cool.

I had a free pass to play if I wanted to, but in the end, you're right. It's a massive time sink to do anything, and because I had to split my time reviewing other games I couldn't really get into it to the degree needed. It was very interesting, but also pretty tedious unless you were playing with friends which I wasn't.

Don't worry though, I'm sure Chris has thought through all of this and the game will be very engaging during your six hour flights to the middle of bumfuck nowhere to do nothing for no reason.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Weird that he still can't make the game he wants to.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

nnnotime posted:

I agree it's ridiculous. However there is a gaming audience that appears to like this type of gameplay, even though you and I think it's silly.

EDIT: tax

Yes, but the citizens aren't going to like it, they're just going to pretend to like it. The thing about Second Life is that it's been around for a long time and in that time many people have tried it out. Most have gotten bored and moved on but some stick around because they like that sort of thing. CIG did things rear end backwards and presold so much ingame content that backers are already way too invested in the game before they even play it for real. Their dreams of how the game is going to be aren't going to match up with the reality so they're going to have to change their dreams to match up with the boring 2 hour slogs across the galaxy to hand deliver crates of moon rocks. They are going to smile and take big wet bites out of whatever poo poo-sandwich Chris Robberts serves up.

Second Life released first and found its niche audience after. Star Citizen found it's audience first, got them invested, and that investment is what is going to shape their audience. They wanted to play Firefly or Star Wars but they're going to be grimacing through Desert Bus in Space.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hot balls man no homo posted:

Yes, but the citizens aren't going to like it, they're just going to pretend to like it. The thing about Second Life is that it's been around for a long time and in that time many people have tried it out. Most have gotten bored and moved on but some stick around because they like that sort of thing. CIG did things rear end backwards and presold so much ingame content that backers are already way too invested in the game before they even play it for real. Their dreams of how the game is going to be aren't going to match up with the reality so they're going to have to change their dreams to match up with the boring 2 hour slogs across the galaxy to hand deliver crates of moon rocks. They are going to smile and take big wet bites out of whatever poo poo-sandwich Chris Robberts serves up.

Second Life released first and found its niche audience after. Star Citizen found it's audience first, got them invested, and that investment is what is going to shape their audience. They wanted to play Firefly or Star Wars but they're going to be grimacing through Desert Bus in Space.

They also probably look at NMS and go "that's not going to happen to us! Chris knows what he's doing."

Never mind that one of his games was forcibly published because he kept on trying to tinker more and more with it.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Star Citizen in first place at 57%. Second place is 6%. Nice.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

This is great. TheGremlich, who claims experience as a linguist, can't identify that guy as having a French accent. He thought it was German?

Just, really, come on.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
3.0 is out!! get cucked smarttards!!!!!!!!!!

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE
I'm about 18mins into the pre-recording, can someone remind me when they altered Squadron 42 from a space game to an adventure/point-click game?

Walk here, talk to them, awkwardly pickup gear from a horrific ui menu system whilst lieutenant dickwad talks to himself

Also lol at the space janitor.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

quote:

Sort of like when Hans Gruber walks away from his operation at the end of Die Hard.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think we all knew, years ago, that no mans sky was just a dress rehearsal for the hellstorm of poo poo that star citizen would be on release.

these people dont even seem to realise that star citizen hasn't made any loving money yet. it's been given a huge budget, that's it.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
He's saying the inclusion of a joke involving guns and a movie reference will help Star Citizen sell more copies than the Call of Duty series.

Amazing. I don't know how to respond to that, much less it being worth my time to do so.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

I really am curious how much money they actually have, available. How much do these death-eyed employees make? Is it worth it? What about CR? He seems to be having fun.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

It really is perfect for Star Citizen that it's full of "old gamers" chanting about the death of the PC gaming industry during a period which is difficult to regard as anything other than a golden age.

At the moment my greatest complaint with consoles is exclusivity. Gimme those games you bastards.

I really don't know what to do with the talking point about the Terminator joke being somehow linked to truly next gen design and gameplay.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 23, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Yeah, this turd showed up on my Discord server last night. I was already in bed, but I think the denizens of the channel handled it well.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Latin Pheonix posted:

I swear to god, this whole CIG/SC/S42 situation sometimes reaches divine comedy levels of parody.

I love working on the sat before christmas

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

drat Dirty Ape posted:

WTF is going on with the neck of the girl to the right of the tree.

Space Emily Dickinson is very very drunk. She drinks to blot out the horror of working with a dude whose right arm is 5 feet long (behind her). A sickening truth is that that man is a survivor of a Fourth Stimpire prison camp, and sometimes he tells stories about the worst kind of chiropractic...

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

this is a man who has not played a single video game for like 15 years, i loving hate this line of argument

this is probably the greatest time ever for video games, there has never been more diversity or breadth of games, never been easier to self-publish for indies, never been easier to buy and sell games on the pc

but oh no, non-neckbeards, people who like physical excercise and women peasants are also playing games so this has to be the goddamn dark ages

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

old gamers who dont remember what old games were actually like and dont play modern games all cheering over this thing that represents the worst excesses of gaming in all ways

its a walking simulator with bad ai, it runs poorly, its full of 'press f to pay respects' inner thoughts poo poo

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
like i'm not that old, my formative gaming years were like 1992-2000, and besides the well known quality titles the majority of the output was poo poo

my younger self would kill to have the kind of good rear end games we get today

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Old gamer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Chikatilo

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I too think it's amazing that you can ask for a gun and not get it.

Also pretty amazing is how you can ask CIG for a game and not get it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

this is some Source FilmMaker quality poo poo right here

Awww. This is cute. It’s like they’re trying to CDProjekt Red it up here, but making it look like poser models.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

this is some Source FilmMaker quality poo poo right here

Limbo of the Lost 2 looking... good?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

the T posing model center right somehow looks even worse in motion. It's just being rotated. Amazing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im half thinking this is what Chris wanted added at last minute and they just put a few models there with full assed stock animations and the others in the best state they could in like 8 hours

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

On the other hand it's one filter away from being an amazing quick cut scene in a space horror title.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Remake this so it's just him fumbling around with the helmet on a loop forever.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why is there a gap in the table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
If you look at each person, none of the animations make any sense. The woman next to Oldman is clearly dealing blackjack for some reason