Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Every film will eventually come to seem incomplete if you subject it to enough pressure, because films are fictions assembled from a box of scraps. Alfred Hitchcock said he left loose ends in his films all the time and called "ice-box" talk the thoughts you have later when, long after the drama is over, you realize that there are things that didn't make sense.

This is what I meant by making the distinction of "actual" plot holes. Like, two parts of a movie that directly contradict each other, or a character having inexplicable knowledge of a scene she wasn't in or soemthing. As opposed to just, "why didin't she do X, that would've been a more efficient way of solving the problem" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

boom boom boom posted:

This is what I meant by making the distinction of "actual" plot holes. Like, two parts of a movie that directly contradict each other, or a character having inexplicable knowledge of a scene she wasn't in or soemthing. As opposed to just, "why didin't she do X, that would've been a more efficient way of solving the problem" or whatever.

Not to repeat myself, but I'd definitely say The Big Sleep fits your criteria. What makes it even better is during production they actually asked Dashiell Hammett, the author of the book the movie is based on, "who killed the chauffeur?" And he didn't know either. Also, the screenplay was written by William Faulkner, yes that William Faulkner.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Not to repeat myself, but I'd definitely say The Big Sleep fits your criteria. What makes it even better is during production they actually asked Dashiell Hammett, the author of the book the movie is based on, "who killed the chauffeur?" And he didn't know either. Also, the screenplay was written by William Faulkner, yes that William Faulkner.

I believe the specific anecdote was actually from William Faulkner himself even. While he was adapting the novel he couldn't puzzle out several elements, so he asked Hammett what was going on but Hammett didn't have any answers.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

regulargonzalez posted:

The AI's plan in The Matrix to use humans as batteries is a plot hole. The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics says you never get as much energy out of a system as you put into it, so the AI would have been better off using what energy was used to keep people alive into directly powering themselves.

quote:

Morpheus : The human generates more bio-electricity than 120-volt battery and over 25,000 BTVs of body heat. Combined with a form of fusion, the machines have found all the energy they would ever need.

They explain it away with :techno: right there in the very scene.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What in the gently caress jesus christ please tell me that someone has heard that the remake of Big Trouble in Little China starring Dwayne Johnson isn't getting made. I thought I was mad about the Point Break remake, but this, this I cannot stand.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Actually sounds just fine and cool to me man

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You really think that Dwayne Johnson won't be just kicking rear end and taking names the whole movie? There's no way it will be anything like the original.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snak posted:

You really think that Dwayne Johnson won't be just kicking rear end and taking names the whole movie? There's no way it will be anything like the original.

Dear god, because there's nothing I hate more in cinema than seeing Dwayne Johnson kick rear end and take names. Oh the humanity.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Dear god, because there's nothing I hate more in cinema than seeing Dwayne Johnson kick rear end and take names. Oh the humanity.

I mean, I don't mind that, but that's specifically not what Big Trouble in Little China is about.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I think if i knew how the movie was going to turn out now I'd be buying lottery tickets instead of worrying if they were gunna ruin a movie with a remake.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snak posted:

I mean, I don't mind that, but that's specifically not what Big Trouble in Little China is about.

Dwayne Johnson has enough of a sense of humour about himself that I wouldn't worry too much.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm overreacting. I do really like Dwayne Johnson, and he does have a good sense of humor. And I mean, the worst case scenario is like, we get to see The Rock fight like a 100 ninjas, and when that's your worst case scenario...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snak posted:

I guess I'm overreacting. I do really like Dwayne Johnson, and he does have a good sense of humor. And I mean, the worst case scenario is like, we get to see The Rock fight like a 100 ninjas, and when that's your worst case scenario...

I just keep picturing him playing the character he played in Pain and Gain and so far it works perfectly in my head.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Snak posted:

Yeah, the worst part is that when the new BTIL is released the studio is going to destroy all the existing copies of the original so you can never go back and watch the old version. Dastardly, I say.

I'm not picking on you specifically, but you are the most recent person to bring up concerns that they are remaking a classic movie. Or game. Or book. Or toy. Or whatever. I'll grant that with some games and toys it's a little difficult to get the original version sometimes, but books and movies are some of the easiest things to get a copy of the original in this day and age. They can't take away any copies of something you already own.

If the new one is good, then you surely have room in your heart for both. Just like children. If the new one sucks, you can always go back to your old favorite one. Just like children.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Also it means more people are watching the original

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Personally I hope they change a lot of stuff about the film. I loving love the original BTLC, but I dont see the point of any remake where all you change is the actors and some incidental details. I'd rather have a totally different movie inspired by the original than a slavish modern recreation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SiKboy posted:

Personally I hope they change a lot of stuff about the film. I loving love the original BTLC, but I dont see the point of any remake where all you change is the actors and some incidental details. I'd rather have a totally different movie inspired by the original than a slavish modern recreation.

I don't think I know of a slavish modern recreation of any film except that one version of Psycho.

I mean even stuff like the new Total Recall or Robocop are substantially different from the original, to the point that nerds are crying about how they didn't get the story "right".

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Nerds cry about everything. Nerds are the most reactionary people there are. Ignore nerds. Of a remake is exactly the same they'll complain it's boring and if it's different they'll complain it's ruined. You can't win just don't play.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

computer parts posted:

I don't think I know of a slavish modern recreation of any film except that one version of Psycho.

I mean even stuff like the new Total Recall or Robocop are substantially different from the original, to the point that nerds are crying about how they didn't get the story "right".

For me the issue with those remakes was not the story but that they lost the charm.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FishBulb posted:

Nerds cry about everything. Nerds are the most reactionary people there are. Ignore nerds. Of a remake is exactly the same they'll complain it's boring and if it's different they'll complain it's ruined. You can't win just don't play.

Bwhahaha you've never read a sports site in your life.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you aren't going to win an Oscar just don't bother, kill yourself

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'm gonna burn every copy of the original Big Trouble when the remake comes out. I'm making a new history

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chernabog posted:

For me the issue with those remakes was not the story but that they lost the charm.

"Charm" being "the age of the viewer".

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Skwirl posted:

Even blind drunk, which he would be, Hammett would be aware that it was Raymond Chandler, not himself, who wrote The Big Sleep and created Philip Marlowe.

The screenplay as originally shot (in 1944) was written by Faulkner and Leigh Brackett, not Faulkner alone. According to legend Bogart preferred the stuff Brackett wrote because he thought Faulkner's version of Marlowe was too effete. The film was not immediately released, and in 1946 new material written by Jules Furthman was shot for a substantially different cut of the film, intended to play up the chemistry between Bogart and Bacall---Hawks had a weird paternal thing for Bacall and disapproved of her relationship with Bogart, who in 1944 was married to someone else, but by 1945 Bogart and Bacall were married and had become the Hollywood couple. So most of the suggestive banter between the two in the theatrical version of the film was added in the second cut, and is Furthman's.

The UCLA Film Archive has a positive master of the original 1945 cut, which was shown to troops in the Pacific. It was restored in the '90s for a brief arthouse revival. It's slower and somewhat less confusing than the version that got widespread release, but it's not as great a film.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
THE RETURN

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Internet sports fans are nerds too.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah, the worst part is that when the new BTIL is released the studio is going to destroy all the existing copies of the original so you can never go back and watch the old version. Dastardly, I say.

Well it's not unheard of

Is there a :lucas: like :nolan:

edit: wassup SubG, hows it hangin?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hey BttF nerds: Lexus just unveiled that they made an actual loving hoverboard.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snak posted:

Yeah it probably won't be as racist for one thing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SubG posted:

Even blind drunk, which he would be, Hammett would be aware that it was Raymond Chandler, not himself, who wrote The Big Sleep and created Philip Marlowe.

The screenplay as originally shot (in 1944) was written by Faulkner and Leigh Brackett, not Faulkner alone. According to legend Bogart preferred the stuff Brackett wrote because he thought Faulkner's version of Marlowe was too effete. The film was not immediately released, and in 1946 new material written by Jules Furthman was shot for a substantially different cut of the film, intended to play up the chemistry between Bogart and Bacall---Hawks had a weird paternal thing for Bacall and disapproved of her relationship with Bogart, who in 1944 was married to someone else, but by 1945 Bogart and Bacall were married and had become the Hollywood couple. So most of the suggestive banter between the two in the theatrical version of the film was added in the second cut, and is Furthman's.

The UCLA Film Archive has a positive master of the original 1945 cut, which was shown to troops in the Pacific. It was restored in the '90s for a brief arthouse revival. It's slower and somewhat less confusing than the version that got widespread release, but it's not as great a film.

I had a brief brain fart and swapped a couple facts in my head with The Maltese Falcon, the other classic Bogey noir film.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah it probably won't be as racist for one thing

Shut up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I honestly went for an easy zinger and the movie doesn't really deserve that, I would like to walk that one back

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Wasn't much of a zinger either

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The more I think about it, its stance on interracial romance was actually super progressive for the time. I'm glad this was a teaching moment

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
INDEED!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That movie is one big subversions of the whole "hyper-competent white guy hero with subservient non-white sidekick goes around solving all of the problems and knowing everything and being better at everything than all the non-white people" shtick. "Racist" is definitely not a great word for it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Considering how many weird asian dudes on the internet fly into a rage every time an asian guy on a TV show or movie doesn't end up with a white woman I bet there's at least one thesis out there about how BTILC is racist because Lo Pan doesn't get his white bride.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Sleeveless posted:

Considering how many weird asian dudes on the internet fly into a rage every time an asian guy on a TV show or movie doesn't end up with a white woman I bet there's at least one thesis out there about how BTILC is racist because Lo Pan doesn't get his white bride.

Bizarrely, I think Gracie is supposed to be full-on Chinese, but they hired Kim Cattrall because Reasons.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crappy Jack posted:

Bizarrely, I think Gracie is supposed to be full-on Chinese, but they hired Kim Cattrall because Reasons.

That's more common then you would think, even as late as 30 years ago (it also happens today, e.g. Emma Stone in that one Hawaii film).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

computer parts posted:

That's more common then you would think, even as late as 30 years ago (it also happens today, e.g. Emma Stone in that one Hawaii film).

I'd wouldn't be surprised if early versions of the script had Gracie as Chinese, but I don't think Kim Cattrall is meant to be portraying a Chinese woman. Do they say her last name at any point in the film?