Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

Corvettefisher posted:

Does anyone know of the syntax to link people back to old appdata folder in GP?

I got a new domain controller up same domain name, username. But it makes a new appdata folder. I tried telling Group Policy to go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData, do I need to make it %localmachine%\Users\%username%\AppData ?

Not sure if this will help but %appdata% goes to users\<username>\appdata\roaming (which you probably know) and %localappdata% goes to users\<username>\appdata\local (which you might be looking for).

Alternately, you could use %userprofile%\appdata, but AppData is just a junction that contains the local and roaming references. You don't want to put anything in the root of AppData.

A comment on the remote session apps - mRemote was great and all, but if you want to check out an alternative (that's still maintained by the original author) try visionapp Remote Desktop. It's got a few more features and is more robust than mRemote ever was. The quirks you were describing are gone as well. It has the added feature of being able to store all connections on a SQL server (embedded/free or otherwise) so you can share connections and logons with other users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I use an old version of that VisionApp program at work. It's the last truly free version circa 2007 I think.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I just bought a laptop that runs Windows 7, and my other computer is a MacBook. Is there an easy way to network the two together since I will be continuing to use the Mac? I couldn't seem to find much after googling.

I didn't buy a second Mac due to budget constraints, but so far I am loving Windows 7. It's a huge step up from XP, which we have to use at work.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
My 500GB hard drive is dying on me. It's not what I boot from, I have a 32GB SSD for Windows and a few applications and games. The 500GB is for other games and media. I can view the drive, browse through it, and even open files, it's just that reading off the disk is at a monumentally slow pace. I can diagnostics (SeaTools because it is a Maxtor), and the extensive test found unrepairable bad sectors just minutes into the test.

I've got a replacement hard drive ready. What is the best way to transfer the files from the old drive to the new drive? Do I just copy everything in Windows and paste? Or is there a program specifically for recovering data off a failing hard drive?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I just bought a laptop that runs Windows 7, and my other computer is a MacBook. Is there an easy way to network the two together since I will be continuing to use the Mac? I couldn't seem to find much after googling.

I didn't buy a second Mac due to budget constraints, but so far I am loving Windows 7. It's a huge step up from XP, which we have to use at work.

What do you mean by networked together? What is it you're trying to accomplish?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Run this command from your user folder in an elevated command prompt: robocopy <source> <destination> /MIR /ZB /R:0 /V /LOG:copylog.txt

Source is path of the dying drive (like D:\) and destination is the path to a place on the new drive (like the drive root F:\ or a folder "F:\Old Drive Backup").

This command will do a number of things. First, it will do its damndest to make an exact copy of everything on the drive. Second, if it fails on a file, it will not retry a million times; instead, it will move on to the next file. Third, it will show you a running report of what it's trying to copy and whether it succeeds or not. Fourth, it will log every success and failure to the file C:\Users\<your user name>\copylog.txt, so that you can see which files to try copying again (with a command like robocopy <failed file> <destination> /R:5 /W:5 /V, which will retry up to five times in case the drive miraculously recovers for a moment).

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

OSX can mount Windows shares through Finder. I don't have a Mac in front of me, but the basic idea is to add a server with the address smb://<hostname or IP address of PC hosting the share>.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Factory Factory posted:

Run this command from your user folder in an elevated command prompt: robocopy <source> <destination> /MIR /ZB /R:0 /V /LOG:copylog.txt

Source is path of the dying drive (like D:\) and destination is the path to a place on the new drive (like the drive root F:\ or a folder "F:\Old Drive Backup").

This command will do a number of things. First, it will do its damndest to make an exact copy of everything on the drive. Second, if it fails on a file, it will not retry a million times; instead, it will move on to the next file. Third, it will show you a running report of what it's trying to copy and whether it succeeds or not. Fourth, it will log every success and failure to the file C:\Users\<your user name>\copylog.txt, so that you can see which files to try copying again (with a command like robocopy <failed file> <destination> /R:5 /W:5 /V, which will retry up to five times in case the drive miraculously recovers for a moment).

That is perfect, thanks!

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

This command will do a number of things.

Can we give this poster an internet or two? That's a great command I'd never have come across - I'm set in my ways with xcopy, but can see this being incredibly useful!

For content - Teracopy is pretty good in situations where the media can be expected to be reasonable, and Recuva is not bad when it's not, and you need to get something off of the bad drive. FindNTFS(coupled with FindPart on occasion) have been very useful too for recovery situations where things are less healthy, though it's still recommended that you make a disk image of the partition rather than working on the base hard drive. While dd is best for that, Windows users could try Easus.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.

FISHMANPET posted:

What do you mean by networked together? What is it you're trying to accomplish?

I'd like to be able to share files (media) between the two. Music, videos, and pictures so that it's easier to keep them synced.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

There's a ton of options to do that.

Using built in tools, the Mac can connect with a Windows PC over Samba (Windows native network sharing). You could setup shares on both systems and use some sort of syncing software (like Sync Center/Sync Toy on Windows) to mirror stuff from one system to the other. In this case one would be the master and the other a clone.

You could use a cloud based system like Dropbox. This might be limiting because of the storage space, but upgrading to higher space isn't too bad. Dropbox now detects if clients are on the same lan and will sync using local connections instead of over the internet.

Since you like the Mac so much, iTunes is also an option. So long as they are on the same network you can share music, vidoes, and photos through it. Once iCloud goes live you will be able to sync that stuff to the Apple cloud and it'll be available when the computers are on the internet (with some limitations).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How is OpenOffice these days? I got my gf a netbook for her birthday and all I really need to do to finish setting it up is install some type of Office suite. It comes with a trial of MS Office '10 but I sunk enough money into this thing that I'm not in the mood to pay an extra $100 right now. I had OO on my old laptop and it ran alright though it got pretty slow at times (though it could have been my machine, which was on its last legs). Has it improved significantly as of late, or should I figure out how to get a cheap license from my university?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

C-Euro posted:

How is OpenOffice these days? I got my gf a netbook for her birthday and all I really need to do to finish setting it up is install some type of Office suite. It comes with a trial of MS Office '10 but I sunk enough money into this thing that I'm not in the mood to pay an extra $100 right now. I had OO on my old laptop and it ran alright though it got pretty slow at times (though it could have been my machine, which was on its last legs). Has it improved significantly as of late, or should I figure out how to get a cheap license from my university?

For Office 2010 you can get Home & Student for $150 and that allows you to install on 3 different computers at once and use them simultaneously.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So my job (USMC field band) just got something like 10 new HP computers, and they all STILL HAVE XP on them. Did Microsoft change its mind about not allowing OEM installs of XP anymore, did some government IT guys install it 'cause, or can the government get around that decree of Microsoft?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I run libreoffice http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ both for work and home use, and don't have any problems with it.

I change all the save defaults to the MS Office equivalents though.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I switched out a Phenom II/nForce (Asus M3N-HT) setup for a Sandy Bridge/Z68 (MSI Z68MA-ED55) setup recently, without reinstalling, and just about everything worked fine, except now my mouse (Logitech MX518) doesn't work on boot.

Boot menu (UEFI)? Works just fine. Windows? Gotta uninstall it from device manager and rescan to make it go. Every single time.

Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone else know how to solve this?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Try this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-old-drivers-after-upgrading-to-new-hardware/

Excrucian
Feb 28, 2008

Digital Purity
Can anyone recommend data recovery software for use with a partitioned RAID? Normally File Scavenger takes care of my recovery needs, but it's having a fit trying to pull anything from a pair of drives which used to form a RAID in three partitions. VirtualLab Data Recovery looks promising, but I'm completely out of my depth here.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Anjow posted:

you have to click the tab THEN the console in order to be able to type there.

That's one of my biggest annoyances with mRemoteNG. The other only comes into play when using RDP (and maybe Citrix?). When I first started using it my AD account kept getting locked out. Finally figured out it was a combination of mRemoteNG defaulting to automatically poll the server for session info and me having my username but not my password (because gently caress having to update that in all my connections when I change my password). It must've bee polling the server for session info with my username and a blank password.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

In the options you can set a default user name and password if one isn't already listed in the rdp properties. Works great.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

LoKout posted:

Not sure if this will help but %appdata% goes to users\<username>\appdata\roaming (which you probably know) and %localappdata% goes to users\<username>\appdata\local (which you might be looking for).

Alternately, you could use %userprofile%\appdata, but AppData is just a junction that contains the local and roaming references. You don't want to put anything in the root of AppData.

A comment on the remote session apps - mRemote was great and all, but if you want to check out an alternative (that's still maintained by the original author) try visionapp Remote Desktop. It's got a few more features and is more robust than mRemote ever was. The quirks you were describing are gone as well. It has the added feature of being able to store all connections on a SQL server (embedded/free or otherwise) so you can share connections and logons with other users.

Thanks I found out I needed to put it in \\%COMPUTERNAME%\C$\Users\%username%\Appdata\local

Still won't pull over outlook and personal settings... oh well then I will have to use the USer Migration Tool on all the users...

I guess that is what you get when you are rebuilding a half assed domain...

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

Ask me about transforming into a semi and trucking over defenses.
What's the best way to get MS Office now? I'm not a student so no discount there. Better to buy direct through MS? Or just buy through newegg?

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

You can buy a home edition of Office that's cheaper. It doesn't come with some of the programs, though, so make sure it has what you need. Split the cost with family/friends, or have it available for install on up to 3 computers.

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

LoKout posted:

You can buy a home edition of Office that's cheaper. It doesn't come with some of the programs, though, so make sure it has what you need. Split the cost with family/friends, or have it available for install on up to 3 computers.

I need Excel, Word, Powerpoint and maybe Outlook. Standard business stuff.

Is this the version you are referring to: MS Office Home ?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Trash Heap posted:

I need Excel, Word, Powerpoint and maybe Outlook. Standard business stuff.

Is this the version you are referring to: MS Office Home ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116856&cm_re=office_2010_3_user-_-32-116-856-_-Product

I think he means this

As long as you have an active EDU email account you can still get this http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/office/default.aspx

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 17, 2011

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Isn't there someone in Australia giving out .edu e-mail addresses like candy?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Toast Museum posted:

Isn't there someone in Australia giving out .edu e-mail addresses like candy?
I've never used this service before, but the last time this was brought up, someone linked http://mail.australia.edu/ for all your .edu e-mail needs.

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

Thank you! Saved me $100 easy. I can spend that money on speakers now.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Karthe posted:

I've never used this service before, but the last time this was brought up, someone linked http://mail.australia.edu/ for all your .edu e-mail needs.

Their front page seems to be down right now, but yeah, australia.edu literally exists to scam .edu offers. The whole front page is hilarious BS about aggregating information about Australian colleges while going *cough*but seriously check out our email*cough* I love its brashness.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Trash Heap posted:

Thank you! Saved me $100 easy. I can spend that money on speakers now.

Best part is, it is 3 keys. so you can sell 2 and get most of your money back

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's not really how the 3 user thing works. It's designed for 3 people in a single household.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Caged posted:

That's not really how the 3 user thing works. It's designed for 3 people in a single household.

It's a single key that can be active on 3 computers simultaneously. Any three people can use it at one time, it's also designed for stuff like students who all need Office for classwork and the like.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I'm looking for a good desktop RSS reader. Any suggestions? I don't mind barebones too much although I wouldn't mind if it looked good or brought more than just the title text too. I've never even looked into them and for a few reasons don't want to use a web service like google Reader or Feedly.
Thanks in advance!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Daynab posted:

I'm looking for a good desktop RSS reader. Any suggestions? I don't mind barebones too much although I wouldn't mind if it looked good or brought more than just the title text too. I've never even looked into them and for a few reasons don't want to use a web service like google Reader or Feedly.
Thanks in advance!

I've been using FeedDemon for several months now and quite like it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
My wife has a netbook running Win7 x64. The internal wifi adapter has long since poo poo itself, so we've been using a USB adapter from Monoprice. Since she started using one of these. It works great, except that every time the computer is shut down or put to sleep, it forgets the security settings for the network when started back up. This is consistent for entering it manually or pressing the button on the router. Any ideas what would cause this and how to fix it?

Arbor Day
Jun 24, 2004

vrooom vrooom crash
Can't think of where else to post this, but I just found something interesting at work, tucked behind some poo poo in a corner.

Unopened copies of 3.1. If anyone wants these relics (I'm not selling, Im offering these for free) please PM me or something. Other contact info is in my profile. There's probably other poo poo there too, but the 3.1 stood out the most.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

My wife has a netbook running Win7 x64. The internal wifi adapter has long since poo poo itself, so we've been using a USB adapter from Monoprice. Since she started using one of these. It works great, except that every time the computer is shut down or put to sleep, it forgets the security settings for the network when started back up. This is consistent for entering it manually or pressing the button on the router. Any ideas what would cause this and how to fix it?

Are you using the software for the device to handle these settings or are you using windows zero point configuration?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sizzlechest posted:

Are you using the software for the device to handle these settings or are you using windows zero point configuration?

Letting Windows do it all.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Letting Windows do it all.

Did you classify your network as "home," "work," or "public?" (It should be home.)

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
I'm looking for tolerable IM software that isn't Digsby or Pidgin or whatever that web-based thing is.

Preferably something with support for Facebook and IRC.

Don't recommend Miranda unless you've got some kind of guide I can follow on how to set it up relatively quickly. I don't mind investing the time if the result works well, but I don't have the time to install, configure and decide if I like a zillion plugins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

oval office AND PASTE posted:

I'm looking for tolerable IM software that isn't Digsby or Pidgin or whatever that web-based thing is.

Preferably something with support for Facebook and IRC.

Don't recommend Miranda unless you've got some kind of guide I can follow on how to set it up relatively quickly. I don't mind investing the time if the result works well, but I don't have the time to install, configure and decide if I like a zillion plugins.

Trillian.