Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Nice weather in Denver, went to the pull and pay and grabbed a throttle body with injectors, full harness and ecu from a 1992 Roadmaster for use in my International. Fuel injection project starts now and will hopefully complete in July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

For real the steepest hill is those dangerous I17 onramps by the airport, like at 7th Avenue. Even in a real car, you've got 25 feet up a 12% grade directly into a travel lane that's usually full of semi trucks.

Oh poo poo, yeah, might be right there. I hate everything about I17 up until just south of L101, so I avoid it whenever possible. Only time I ever used to use those ramps was going to downtown, and now I just use Washington.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

You Am I posted:

I still remember dad's name for the VW Kombi - "Solar, not Nuclear" due to the number of them with that sticker in the back window

All I know is that by the time I got home with the bus after the road trip that the sticker was waiting for me on my computer desk :tinfoil:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Fitted new, stainless injector sockets in the inlet manifold. Custom bits, had to port a little bit of the casting in the IM to get them to fit.

I also bought an new oil cooler, as if this project isn't costing me all my money as it is.

Waiting for some more parts to come in the mail before I can put this stuff on.

I also gave my local Audi tuner my ECU so that he can reprogram it for 440ccm injectors.

Here's one of his cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUl0D2w3tt0

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What injectors are you running? I seem to remember 034 had a set of bungs that adapted from the mega pricey CIS-E injectors to GM style truck injectors.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If they're like the Scirocco it's cheapest to just get the Benz injectors and use the little hats off your old injectors. You're kinda SOL if they're ruined like mine were though though.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What injectors are you running? I seem to remember 034 had a set of bungs that adapted from the mega pricey CIS-E injectors to GM style truck injectors.

Bosch 968s. They're a straight fit mechanically, you just need a remap of the ECU.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
SO

LAR

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

I see you've been giving that bus a vigorous caulking

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Heh, the caulk was leftover and I used it for some internal seams between wood panels, for airtightness/noise. Everything external is with white Silicone II. Silicone II is love, silicone II is life.

In-between me posting earlier and now, I have replaced the starter in the beetle. The last time I took it to work it refused to start in a gas station parking lot (about 10 miles in) until I beat the starter/solenoid with a wooden stick. Suspiciously, I found said wooden stick underneath the bench seat, as part of a broom handle that had been cut off and left there by the PO. I guess when you have an OE starter on a car with at least 109k miles and 44 years on it things start to become sketchy.

Old and busted, new hotness, etc

Cost of the new (probably reman) starter? $25 :smuggo:

E: VVVV After awhile things go from "forgotten" to "free aluminum."

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 29, 2016

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Where'd you steal the road sign?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Solar power IS nuclear. :tinfoil:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Solar power IS nuclear. :tinfoil:

More people die every week from skin cancer caused by solar power than have died in the entire history of nuclear power :tinfoil:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Power plant air pollution (mostly coal) kills 13k people a year. There are 10k new cases of melanoma per year. Of course, there are 80k new cases of nonmelanoma skin cancer per year sooooooo

Sorry to hog up the thread, but also since my last post I decided to install the new rear shocks for the bus. I bought them a month ago and they've just been sitting there. Time to get them on!

Out with the old.

In with the new

poo poo.

Well, these look like they are the same length as the front shocks, so let's try it out.

Drives like a new car. I can still feel the rear dragging along, but the front no longer porpoises on every speed bump or curb cut. I'll need to contact Amazon about the listing, as it explicitly says "VW Transporter - Rear" with a separate listing for the front. At least the fasteners are broken free for when I get around to installing new rears.

This job is made possible by power from the Hammerhead (tm) Electric Impact Gun, and viewers like you.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Spent about $500, between a Ford Racing intake manifold (read: gently caress you, ford, why was that ever plastic???), an Optima Battery (because I left my 4x4 sitting because ... life), a couple of tools (specifically fuel-line disconnect tool), and assorted parts to swap the manifold (gaskets, o-rings, etc.).

Now to spend the weekend installing all of it and hoping it just fits. Because it never does.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yesterday: replaced the Intake Manifold Runner Control Module (and the associated pigtail) on #1 Son's newly-acquired SVT Focus. Car now runs properly, and the CEL is off. Why he bought a car in that condition, I've no idea.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Fitted a new oil cooler and the water manifold on the Audi. Still waiting for a new after-run water pump to get here before I can fit the intake manifold and other stuff.

Old:

New:

Water manifold: I had a new oil pressure sender, but I managed to break off the threaded part.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Sent it packing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybm4J1elH8

After getting the front brakes done and preparing the car for sale, I discovered that one of the front coilover shocks had ruptured. Since the new owner had a long trip home ahead of him and the car would be loaded with wheels/tires and a ton of parts, we decided it would be best to put the stock suspension back on it before the trip. That's why it's not all cambered/madstanced/hellaflushed/ruined/etc. I listed it for sale online in one place and had a lot of interest and a few serious offers. I held onto it for a bit until I found the right buyer who knew what he was getting into (fellow Audi wagon nerd). He flew in today to pick it up and 90 minutes later was on his way back to Boston. I'm DD'ing my Jeep now, so that frees me up to find another project car that can sit in the garage and doesn't have to haul me & my kids around everyday too. I'm not sure what it will be yet, but I've got a few ideas.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

:rip: allroad. I liked that thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What's the deal with using plates on another car? Did he actually get all the reg stuff set up to tie the MA plates to the Allroad?

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Wasted money and effort to make noise. Seems like a fair trade off.

http://youtu.be/BMj52fqU21U
If you listen carefully, you can hear when they open at about :08

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Installed some used crap to see if my pedal feel will get better. I need to stop forgetting to only take snapchats.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Finally took the lovely purple bubbled window tint off of my '90 RX-7. The passenger window was pretty much useless, it was so bubbled an foggy. I stripped the rear window years ago because it was bad. It took the side windows a little longer to get to the point where you couldn't see out. It came off pretty easily with a sharp scraper. The bubbling helped.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Darchangel posted:

Finally took the lovely purple bubbled window tint off of my '90 RX-7. The passenger window was pretty much useless, it was so bubbled an foggy. I stripped the rear window years ago because it was bad. It took the side windows a little longer to get to the point where you couldn't see out. It came off pretty easily with a sharp scraper. The bubbling helped.
I got too many tickets/attention in my car with a 35% tint on the front windows so I peeled them off last fall, leaving the glue to sit all winter. I took it off last weekend with some windex and a scraper. Worked really well, but it was gross and looked like snot as it was coming off.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
A handheld steamer helps a shitload for peeling it off, but I still found i've always had to razorblade residue off afterwards. Which is why I still haven't done the rear window on my M3, don't want to hit the defroster lines.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crustashio posted:

A handheld steamer helps a shitload for peeling it off, but I still found i've always had to razorblade residue off afterwards. Which is why I still haven't done the rear window on my M3, don't want to hit the defroster lines.

Yeah that's definitely a job for the tint shop in case they gently caress it up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Got the Volvo aligned, finally. There's no camber adjustment so they had to do a "cradle shift"

:v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Crustashio posted:

When we ripped all the tint off of Ozmiander's old YJ's hardtop windows, we found that acetone on a rag does an amazing job of removing the residue with little to no razor scraping frustration. You'll want 2 or 3 rags going at once, do all the really nasty heavy buildup with the first one so you don't keep smearing more dissolved adhesive back onto the cleaner panels, then use the next cleanest to do the next stage, etc. Eventually you either run out of adhesive to clean up or rags.

I'm not sure if it will damage the defroster lines, but it is less likely to do so than a razor blade. You could also try various alcohols (isopropyl, methanol, denatured ethanol, etc) since they're less harsh than acetone.

Be careful with acetone though, it'll gently caress some plastics right the hell up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

jhcain posted:

Wasted money and effort to make noise. Seems like a fair trade off.

http://youtu.be/BMj52fqU21U
If you listen carefully, you can hear when they open at about :08

THIS IS A THING?
:stare:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

THIS IS A THING?

Wait, you haven't heard of exhaust cut outs?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Found out that on the beater there are 3x 205-75/R14s and one 195-70/R14. No idea what's up with that, I haven't messed with the tires outside of getting one used one to swap out one that was in really really bad shape since I got the drat thing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

THIS IS A THING?

Some cars (ie Corvettes) have them from the factory, even. Typically auto-opening on full throttle.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

THIS IS A THING?

Yes. A silly, socially irresponsible and grin inducing thing. Takes about 4 seconds to open or close, and boy, it's pretty loud when they're open.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

You Am I posted:

Wait, you haven't heard of exhaust cut outs?

Yeah I have, but I didn't realize they were that pervasive and easily available. I figured every one was some crazy setup for a porsche or a one-off custom.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah I have, but I didn't realize they were that pervasive and easily available. I figured every one was some crazy setup for a porsche or a one-off custom.

Crazy, check.
Custom, check.
Available from Summit Racing overnight in various shapes and sizes, check!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

jhcain posted:

Crazy, check.
Custom, check.

I like where this thread is going.

Did I mention I got new plates?

:getin:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

2 turbos 1 car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

jhcain posted:

Crazy, check.
Custom, check.

Illegal in my state, too. :sigh:

This might be a justification for explosive bolts on one of the exhaust flanges... want to make noise? Pop the bolts. I'm sorry officer, my exhaust bolts seem to have broken... if I replace them right here can I avoid a ticket? I think I have spares with me. :angel:

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

kastein posted:

Illegal in my state, too. :sigh:

This might be a justification for explosive bolts on one of the exhaust flanges... want to make noise? Pop the bolts. I'm sorry officer, my exhaust bolts seem to have broken... if I replace them right here can I avoid a ticket? I think I have spares with me. :angel:

An old guy hot rodding pal was telling us the trick they used "back in the day" was to undo one bolt on the flange, and just swivel the plate on the other bolt. The missing bolt obviously "fell out," and could be replaced, roadside, from a convenient spare in the toolbox in the trunk...

I'd guess these aren't strictly legal here, either, so I guess I'll be cautious about the use. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

jhcain posted:

An old guy hot rodding pal was telling us the trick they used "back in the day" was to undo one bolt on the flange, and just swivel the plate on the other bolt. The missing bolt obviously "fell out," and could be replaced, roadside, from a convenient spare in the toolbox in the trunk...

I'd guess these aren't strictly legal here, either, so I guess I'll be cautious about the use. Maybe.

Had a buddy that had one of the later Hemi Rams with some dumps on them with studs that he just put the plates on with wingnuts. They were installed after the cats and it sounded pretty gnarly with them off, and totally stock on.