Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Sarion posted:

Really? I thought Ann Coulter's (tepid) support of gays was one of her only redeeming qualities. Pretty sure she wasn't allowed to come to CPAC this year (or last?) because of her support of GOProud and gay marriage.

She's for groups like the Log Cabin Republicans and GOProud because they support conservative causes. She's not actually for giving them equal rights, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

particle409 posted:

She's for groups like the Log Cabin Republicans and GOProud because they support conservative causes. She's not actually for giving them equal rights, etc.

Also, because they pay her ridiculous speaking fees.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Eh, the point that Jesus, assuming he was a real person, is ridicilously unlikely to have been white can't be made enough.

Yeah, but brown-skinned does describe Obama. If you put foreign born, then they all are misconceptions about Obama.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Orange Devil posted:

Eh, the point that Jesus, assuming he was a real person, is ridicilously unlikely to have been white can't be made enough.

Are Jews "white" or not? Lots of Palestinians are arguably "white" too.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Posted by a Facebook friend, with the comment "I don't know about you? But I find it disturbing!"
Responding to let her know that last I checked, bibles weren't banned in school, and you'll get in trouble if you're reading anything personal when you should be doing schoolwork. Buuuuut she won't listen.

How about just, "There's no public school in the US that cares if kids are reading Bibles by themselves on their own time, as the prisoner in that picture is doing."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ras Het posted:

Are Jews "white" or not? Lots of Palestinians are arguably "white" too.

Trying to define someone ethnic group's pigmentation or colour is futile. Only goths are white, otherwise "Caucasians" (so named because the race theorist naming these races thought that people living in Caucasus were the most beautiful and racially pure folks in all of Europe) are kind of pork pink. But there's a lot of variation in that too.

But the sticker makes fun of racist double standards, so I think the definition works there.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Nenonen posted:

Trying to define someone ethnic group's pigmentation or colour is futile. Only goths are white, otherwise "Caucasians" (so named because the race theorist naming these races thought that people living in Caucasus were the most beautiful and racially pure folks in all of Europe) are kind of pork pink. But there's a lot of variation in that too.

Well yes, I know, that's why I wrote white in quotation marks. I just think that the reverse argument, that Jesus was definitely a swarthy Near Eastern looking bloke, is kind of silly, as Jews do generally fall under the umbrella of "white".

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Ras Het posted:

Well yes, I know, that's why I wrote white in quotation marks. I just think that the reverse argument, that Jesus was definitely a swarthy Near Eastern looking bloke, is kind of silly, as Jews do generally fall under the umbrella of "white".

But isn't a big part of that because what most people think of as Jews today (Jon Stewart, for example) are descendents of Jews who spent nearly two thousand years in Europe? It doesn't seem unreasonable to assume he would have looked "middle eastern", and I think there's a passage in the bible that describes him as such (for what that's worth). Not that his "whiteness" matters.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Sarion posted:

But isn't a big part of that because what most people think of as Jews today (Jon Stewart, for example) are descendents of Jews who spent nearly two thousand years in Europe? It doesn't seem unreasonable to assume he would have looked "middle eastern", and I think there's a passage in the bible that describes him as such (for what that's worth). Not that his "whiteness" matters.

Yeah, and obviously it's a completely cultural category (e.g. the long-held perception of the Irish as some kind of racially inferior savages, and Benjamin Franklin inexplicably describing the Swedes as a "swarthy" race in that one article), but it's also worth noting that the Romans held Palestine before widespread Arabic migration in the area, that Palestinians are genetically really close to Southern Europeans, and that we, for example, know that upper-class Romans were considerably "whiter" than modern Italians (several early emperors were ginger, for example). Jesus' skin colour shouldn't matter, but unfortunately it's a really politically loaded question, and one based on really vague historical arguments.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Sarion posted:

There are actually quite a few different Jewish ethnic groups, but the American Jewish stereotype tends to be of the Ashkenazi Jews of central Europe (e.g. Alsace, Germany, etc.), like Albert Einstein and Woody Allen. Other Jewish ethnic groups include the Sephardim of the Iberian Peninsula (e.g. Hank Azaria and Glee's Lea Michelle), the Bukharim of central Asia (e.g. First Lady of Iceland Dorrit Moussaieff), the Mizrahim of North Africa, the Middle East, and central Asia (e.g Issac Mizrahi and Paula Abdul), etc.

So, there's a pretty wide range of ethnicities, complexions, cultures, and other features making up Judaism, but Americans seem to just focus on the Ashkenazi, Yiddish-speaking, nebbishy Jew stereotype.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Got to have the "Why isn't there a Congressional White Caucus?!" conversation with my parents today. Bonus points for "Well, the Africans sold each other into slavery" and "Black on white crime isn't even reported!"

Are there any good links or explanations I can send them? I think I bungled my attempts at laying out the usual reasons and I doubt it'll do any good, but I might get through to my dad.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

1stGear posted:

Got to have the "Why isn't there a Congressional White Caucus?!" conversation with my parents today. Bonus points for "Well, the Africans sold each other into slavery" and "Black on white crime isn't even reported!"

Are there any good links or explanations I can send them? I think I bungled my attempts at laying out the usual reasons and I doubt it'll do any good, but I might get through to my dad.

I can only assume your avatar correctly depicts your expression throughout that conversation.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Yours represents the expression of his parents.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

1stGear posted:

1. "There is a Congressional White Caucus, it's called 'Congress.'"

Similarly, "There is a White History Month, it's from January through December," "There are White History courses in schools/universities, they're called 'European History' and World History,'" and "There is a White Entertainment Channel, it's every channel other than BET, Univision, and Telemundo."

2. "Firstly, certain African tribes selling members of other tribes into slavery doesn't lessen the guilt of any non-Africans who bought, sold, and/or owned Black slaves. Secondly, yes there was slavery in Africa, but the vast majority of those people who became slaves between late 15th century and the middle of the 19th century would have never been kidnapped and sold into slavery if there was not a market for Black slaves among European colonists in the Americas. Thirdly, those European colonists may have needed people to help labor in the colonies, but they didn't need to take slaves. They could have just as easily paid those people to work on their farms, homes, and other places in New World colonies, treating them humanely as free employees, but instead they chose to buy people as slaves and literally work them to death while doing their best to destroy their native cultures."

3. "'Black on White crime' does get reported all the time. It's just that white people frequently don't pay attention to it until they need to grasp for straws when other people are angry about cases of hate crimes against non-whites and the general systemic racism in America. More importantly, those cases of 'Black on White crime' are usually not cases of hate crimes where the Black criminal victimizes the white person because they are white, i.e. a hate crime. They are usually just cases of crime of greed, lust, anger, etc. where the victim happens to be White and the perpetrator happens to be Black. Conversely, there are many, many cases of Black people who are victimized by Whites simply because they are Black, like the Black man who was killed by being repeatedly run over by a truck full of White teens in 2011.

For a more statistical look at hate crimes, let's see what the FBI has to say:

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/november/hatecrimes_111411/hatecrimes_111411

quote:

Intimidation…vandalism…assault…rape…murder. These are crimes by anyone’s definition. But add an element of bias against the victims—because of their race or religion, for example—and these traditional crimes become hate crimes.

And based on data from the FBI’s Hate Crime Statistics report for 2010, the 6,628 hate crime incidents reported to us by our law enforcement partners stayed consistent with the 6,604 incidents reported in 2009.

Today, we’re releasing on our website the full 2010 report, which contains information about the types of biases that motivate hate crimes, the nature of the offenses, and some information about the victims and offenders. It also breaks down hate crimes by jurisdiction and includes data by state and by agency.

The hate crimes report is fairly reflective of the country—agencies that participated in the Uniform Crime Reporting Hate Crime Statistics Program effort in 2010 represented more than 285 million people, or 92.3 percent of the nation’s population, and their jurisdictions covered 49 states and the District of Columbia. Of the 14,977 agencies that submitted data, 1,949 reported that hate crime incidents had occurred in their jurisdictions.

Here are some of the report’s highlights:

Hate Crimes graphic
Law enforcement reported 8,208 victims of hate crimes—a “victim” can be an individual, a business, an institution, or society as a whole.
Of the 6,628 hate crime incidents reported to us for 2010, nearly all (6,624) involved a single bias—47.3 percent of the single-bias incidents were motivated by race; 20 percent by religion; 19.3 by sexual orientation; 12.8 percent by an ethnicity/national origin bias; and 0.6 by physical or mental disability.
As a result of the 2009 Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crime Prevention Act, the FBI is implementing changes to collect additional data for crimes motivated by a bias against a particular gender or gender identity, as well as for hate crimes committed by or directed against juveniles.
A reported 4,824 offenses were crimes against persons—intimidation accounted for 46.2 percent of these offenses; simple assault for 34.8 percent; and aggravated assault for 18.4 percent.
There were 2,861 reported offenses of crimes against property—the majority (81.1 percent) were acts of destruction/damage/vandalism.
Of the 6,008 known offenders, 58.6 were white and 18.4 percent were black.
31.4 percent of reported hate crime incidents took place in or near homes.

The FBI takes its role in investigating hate crimes very seriously—it’s the number one priority of our civil rights program. “Almost a fourth of our 2010 civil rights caseload involved crimes motivated by a particular bias against the victim,” said Eric Thomas, our civil rights chief in Washington, D.C., “and we frequently worked these cases with state and local law enforcement to ensure that justice was done—whether at the state level or at the federal level.”

This report, and the FBI’s hate crime data collection effort as a whole, would not have been possible without the support of national and state criminal justice organizations and the thousands of law enforcement agencies nationwide whose officers investigate, identify, and report hate crimes to us.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Also, isn't Zimmerman hispanic, or part hispanic? So wouldn't the whole Trayvon Martin case be an example of a non-"white on black hate crime" reported by the media?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sarion posted:

Also, isn't Zimmerman hispanic, or part hispanic? So wouldn't the whole Trayvon Martin case be an example of a non-"white on black hate crime" reported by the media?
They probably would not consider it such. There's already been a bit of a kerfuffle over the fact that the New York Times referred to Zimmerman as 'white Hispanic,' with people claiming that they used that phrase over simply 'Hispanic' in order to fit a white-on-black crime narrative.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, I tried all of those. :( I think I'll just have to accept that even my dad has become a social conservative in his old age. I'd like to engage them in discussion about those kind of issues but I know from experience that there's pretty much no way to do it without everyone involved getting mad.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Strudel Man posted:

people claiming that they used that phrase over simply 'Hispanic' in order to fit a white-on-black crime narrative.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain to people that this is a perfectly acceptable description if, for some reason, you have to define ethnicity/skin color. Hispanic covers such a huge variety of appearances, enough that I've seen "white, non-Hispanic" as an option a few times when filling in forms.

People always assume there's an agenda when they're ignorant and think someone is wrong.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

bairfanx posted:

I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain to people that this is a perfectly acceptable description if, for some reason, you have to define ethnicity/skin color. Hispanic covers such a huge variety of appearances, enough that I've seen "white, non-Hispanic" as an option a few times when filling in forms.

People always assume there's an agenda when they're ignorant and think someone is wrong.

Plus if I remember correctly, Zimmerman is actually of mixed heritage; I think his father is white and mother is hispanic.

But I think what really gets me about the "why isn't anyone reporting black on white hate crime" crowd is that they don't understand what makes something a hate crime. It has nothing to do with the race or gender identity or sexual orientation of the victim vs the perpetrator. Its all about the motivation. A white guy killing a black guy is not always a hate crime.

But a gay homophobe who takes out his self loathing on other gay men is committing a hate crime. As are a bunch of teenagers who beat up a kid who they think is gay, regardless of whether he really is or not.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

bairfanx posted:

I don't think anyone's claiming that it's incorrect, per se - the argument I've seen is that in any other circumstance, 'Hispanic' would have been sufficient description, and that 'white' was only included in this case to fit the aforementioned narrative. See this opinion piece on the subject.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 18, 2012

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think anyone's claiming that it's incorrect, per se - the argument I've seen is that in any other circumstance, 'Hispanic' would have been sufficient description, and that 'white' was only included in this case to fit the aforementioned narrative. See this opinion piece on the subject.

I see what you're saying. I took what I quoted to mean that they had contrived the term for the sake of the white/black narrative.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Now im just confused. I got this on facebook:

quote:

It's poo poo like this that illustrates how utterly absurd this administrations solution to the problem is... http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/20...leplusclickthru

Is there some change to the TSA that the Obama administration made for this kind of thing to happen? All I know is that the TSA was passed by a republican congress and Bush. So???

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Now im just confused. I got this on facebook:

Is there some change to the TSA that the Obama administration made for this kind of thing to happen? All I know is that the TSA was passed by a republican congress and Bush. So???

Look on the bright side. The woman is a former TSA agent so at least a TSA agent has finally been charged with inappropriately touching someone.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I wish that if you wrote an article that worried openly about the standing of white people in general you automatically woke up black and gay the next day.

"God, white people are being treated so UNFAIRLY!" - A dumb person

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

prom candy posted:

I wish that if you wrote an article that worried openly about the standing of white people in general you automatically woke up black and gay the next day.

"God, white people are being treated so UNFAIRLY!" - A dumb person

I've got an idea for a reality show about some Libtard or conservative who has to live on welfare/the streets long enough to either show that welfare queens aren't really a thing, or to bootstrap their way into making 30K a year from nothing. Could never be done, between the impracticalities of filming a "homeless person", and the fact that an actual temporarily embarrassed millionaire would have a head start compared to an actual lower-class individual, but it's an interesting idea.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

darthbob88 posted:

I've got an idea for a reality show about some Libtard or conservative who has to live on welfare/the streets long enough to either show that welfare queens aren't really a thing, or to bootstrap their way into making 30K a year from nothing. Could never be done, between the impracticalities of filming a "homeless person", and the fact that an actual temporarily embarrassed millionaire would have a head start compared to an actual lower-class individual, but it's an interesting idea.

Are you a betting man?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

darthbob88 posted:

It's possible, especially with reality TV magic.

The real hard thing is raising a family on it.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

darthbob88 posted:

Actually, there was a college graduate who did just this as an experiment, and was eventually able to get himself into decent housing with minimum wage jobs.

The problem with that and your idea is that the homeless are disproportionately mentally/physically disabled or ill and/or may have drug addictions or illegal self-medicating practices to boot.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

babies havin rabies posted:

Actually, there was a college graduate who did just this as an experiment, and was eventually able to get himself into decent housing with minimum wage jobs.

He had to abort his experiment early to take care of a sick family member. It's a lifestyle where a single setback can put you all the way back to zero.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

He had to abort his experiment early to take care of a sick family member. It's a lifestyle where a single setback can put you all the way back to zero.

He had the option to leave his job and take care of his family member. Most people on minimum wage don't have that option, showing that his whole experiment was meaningless.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lady Gaza posted:

He had the option to leave his job and take care of his family member. Most people on minimum wage don't have that option, showing that his whole experiment was meaningless.

Actually, it is a great example of how having a metaphorical "safety net" can make a difficult situation a bit easier to manage.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Read "People of the Abyss" by Jack London.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Lady Gaza posted:

Do you guys have a good link for this? I'd like to read/share it.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
The guy also had a college degree, iirc. While he didn't use it as a reference to get jobs, education definitely gave him a massive leg up on things like handling finances and other life basics.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

VideoTapir posted:

Read "People of the Abyss" by Jack London.

You can read it here for free.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
ELECTION 2012 IS COMING

HERE IS ALL I WANT
Obama: Gone!
Borders: Closed!
Language: English!
Culture: Constitution, and the Bill of Rights!
Drug Free: Mandatory Drug Screening before Welfare!
No Freebies to: Non-Citizens!
ALSO----
BALANCED BUDGET!
TAX REFORM!
AND
TERM LIMITS FOR CONGRESS & SENATORS
Only 86% will send this on. Should be a 100%

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

But how does he know so precisely how many will send it on before they've sent it on? :confused:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

From the NRA thing before,

quote:

The NRA claim is cherry-picking an extreme, worst-case interpretation of a 2005 amendment to expand the definition of armor-piercing ammunition, which is legal to own or use in the United States but illegal to purchase or make.
:wtc:

You can't buy it or make it but you can have it? How are you supposed to have it if you didn't buy it or make it?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Aw dangit, someone left the border open again. Sheesh! Come on, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modig
Aug 20, 2002
2012 Elections coming. ALL i WANT

Obama: Gone!
Borders: Focus on reducing demand for coming in!
Wars: Don't start new ones, and GTFO!
Drugs: Stop the stupid Drug war!
Culture: Evidence and reason, and the bill of rights!
Language: English most of the time!
No Freebies to: Religious!
ALSO----
BALANCED BUDGET (or at least closer to it, wont happen by cutting taxes and raising spending)
TAX REFORM (simplify, less excemptions for lobbyist $$)!
AND
ONLY 86% WILL SEND THIS ON AND I DONT UNDERSTAND THAT THAT MEANS IT WILL COVER ALL OF FACEBOOK IN LIKE 30 MINUTES. ALSO I MAKE UP STATISTICS.