Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I rediscovered Men In Black and the intro is still pretty dope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwP4vSfjygY

Wait until you get to the episode with the loving Arquillians. That one was heavy as poo poo when I watched the show last year. Best Episode in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm surprised this show got so many episodes and it's still so obscure and unknown.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The art style turned people off. Plus it's not like MiB had much of a life outside of the rarefied air of the 90s.

The show itself was awesomely written.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That was the same studio that did the Godzilla series, so they kinda specialized in cartoon adaptations that were better than they shoulda been.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think they also did Jackie Chan Adventures.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

The first two episodes of Miraculous season 2 were great, dorky, goofy fun. Looks like they're going in pretty firmly with serialisation this time, and the fakeout early in 'The Collector' was really well done. Ha ha, bet you thought you were so clever for thinking Adrien's dad was Hawk Moth. Sucker! Oh wait, HA HA gently caress YOU, HE REALLY loving IS! AND LOOK AT ALL THE CLUES RIGHT IN YOUR FACE THAT YOU MISSED ALL THE WAY THROUGH SEASON 1, SMARTASS!

The big fight in 'Collector', with more and more of the house disappearing as it went on, was one of the best the show's done. And the Marinette/Adrien stuff in 'Despair Bear' had me grinning like an idiot even though I know it's the most ludicrously cartoonish crush ever committed to TV (and not just because it's, y'know, a cartoon).

Wait, what? Where did you see these? Are you in France or something?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Oracle posted:

Wait, what? Where did you see these? Are you in France or something?

Airs in France on the 26th. I think it's aired in the UK.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I saw The Collector but haven't seen Despair Bear. Gabriel is such a dork but Adrien and Marinette are even bigger dorks so :allears:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

The art style turned people off. Plus it's not like MiB had much of a life outside of the rarefied air of the 90s.

The show itself was awesomely written.
Also, as far as I've been able to determine it was the last thing Jennifer Lien (Kes from Voyager and "L" in MiB) ever did before leaving acting and, well, all that happened afterward.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Waffleman_ posted:

That was the same studio that did the Godzilla series, so they kinda specialized in cartoon adaptations that were better than they shoulda been.

And Extreme Ghostbusters. And we still never got a crossover where they all fight an Undead Alien Kaiju.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Labes for days posted:

I saw The Collector but haven't seen Despair Bear. Gabriel is such a dork but Adrien and Marinette are even bigger dorks so :allears:

Dorks for days (I just watched them, they're out there and not terribly hard to find). Both eps were solid and Chloe in the second one was amusing (plus hints as to what happened to her mom if you pay close attention). Kim is kind of a glutton for punishment innitee? This is going to be a good season.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I finally binged Phineas and Ferb, and it was magnificent.

Definitely looking forward to the crossover with Milo Murphy's Law.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pakled posted:

Yeah. Regular Show and Uncle Grandpa ended. Adventure Time's ending in 2018, Gumball's got one season left after the current one and could end in 2018 or 2019 depending on how long they drag it out. They've got a lot of shows lined up for 2018 though: Summer Camp Island, Apple & Onion, Craig of the Creek, and The Heroic Quest of the Valiant Prince Ivandoe.

By the way, wasn't an Adventure Time movie happening? Is that still a thing? I'm all in on tv shows being made into theatrical movies. See: Bob's Burgers

And I will see the Teen Titans Go movie in theaters and enjoy it :cool:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The movie fell through.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Star Vs in 2 weeks! Yay!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

The movie fell through.

The mid-season 5 tv movie fell through. The theatrical film is still in development

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I want a live action Adventure Time film with a big yellow John DiMaggio.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Macaluso posted:

By the way, wasn't an Adventure Time movie happening?
Wasn't that what the islands mini was supposed to be??

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Islands seems too episodic to have originally been intended as a movie, but I may be wrong.

I recently started watching through the entire series, and it's interesting how little the later seasons are like the initial seasons. The decreasing amount of new worldbuilding, the more dramatic episodes built around less humor, the joke characters becoming complex, and then they finally just straight-up become a narrative and story based thing with arcs and everything, it's like an entirely different show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Payndz posted:

The first two episodes of Miraculous season 2 were great, dorky, goofy fun. Looks like they're going in pretty firmly with serialisation this time, and the fakeout early in 'The Collector' was really well done. Ha ha, bet you thought you were so clever for thinking Adrien's dad was Hawk Moth. Sucker! Oh wait, HA HA gently caress YOU, HE REALLY loving IS! AND LOOK AT ALL THE CLUES RIGHT IN YOUR FACE THAT YOU MISSED ALL THE WAY THROUGH SEASON 1, SMARTASS!

The big fight in 'Collector', with more and more of the house disappearing as it went on, was one of the best the show's done. And the Marinette/Adrien stuff in 'Despair Bear' had me grinning like an idiot even though I know it's the most ludicrously cartoonish crush ever committed to TV (and not just because it's, y'know, a cartoon).

I can't find a clip, but that reveal reminded me of Brooklyn 99's first episode, when they reveal Holt is gay via Peralta putting together all the subtle pieces... starting with a newspaper saying that Holt is the district's first gay captain. Like "NO poo poo, DUH. Also here's some subtle hints you didn't need." had a blast., but tbh, I kinda loved the second episode more out of the sheer laziness of Hawkmoth's plan: "Chloe is throwing a party? oh i don't need to do poo poo, just get a butterfly over there, somebody's gonna lose it when it comes to Chloe"

nice episodes, the season's looking much more dynamic thus far, which i'm a massive fan for.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BioEnchanted posted:

Star Vs in 2 weeks! Yay!

New season's gonna own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcp5eJWFrX4

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Payndz posted:

Still can't believe there were people who seriously thought Hawk Moth WASN'T Gabriel but ACTUALLY Alix's dad/Adrien's mom's brother that we've never heard of/etc. even though there'd be no point to it being anyone else.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

I want a live action Adventure Time film with a big yellow John DiMaggio.

The only live-action role of his I can think of is Steve Ballmer in Pirates of Silicon Valley and he played it perfectly.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Still can't believe there were people who seriously thought Hawk Moth WASN'T Gabriel but ACTUALLY Alix's dad/Adrien's mom's brother that we've never heard of/etc. even though there'd be no point to it being anyone else.

lol were there people who actually thought that? I mean Miraculous is far from the pinnacle of storytelling but foreshadowing is a thing that exists.

Also someone explain to me how Gabriel's little elevator to his evilization lair goes down, when the window is clearly like 2 stories above the ground floor. Does he go down and then take 3 flights of stairs up to the top floor or is this another Butterfly Miraculous superpower?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Islands seems too episodic to have originally been intended as a movie, but I may be wrong.

I recently started watching through the entire series, and it's interesting how little the later seasons are like the initial seasons. The decreasing amount of new worldbuilding, the more dramatic episodes built around less humor, the joke characters becoming complex, and then they finally just straight-up become a narrative and story based thing with arcs and everything, it's like an entirely different show.

I miss the old show.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I can't find a clip, but that reveal reminded me of Brooklyn 99's first episode, when they reveal Holt is gay via Peralta putting together all the subtle pieces... starting with a newspaper saying that Holt is the district's first gay captain. Like "NO poo poo, DUH. Also here's some subtle hints you didn't need." had a blast., but tbh, I kinda loved the second episode more out of the sheer laziness of Hawkmoth's plan: "Chloe is throwing a party? oh i don't need to do poo poo, just get a butterfly over there, somebody's gonna lose it when it comes to Chloe"

nice episodes, the season's looking much more dynamic thus far, which i'm a massive fan for.

Yeah Hawkmoth's frustration was great 'What the hell is wrong with you Bougeois? You'd have akumatized half the school by now!' I wonder if that's why she's Adrien's only friend...
And speaking of friends and characterization Adrien's super-seriousness when he thinks his dad might be Hawkmoth was well-played. Even left Ladybug hangin' on the fistpound to see if he was okay, not a single pun etc. And Nathalie knowing that Gabriel is Hawkmoth was a surprise as well. Wonder who's going to get that peacock pin hrrrm.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Labes for days posted:

lol were there people who actually thought that? I mean Miraculous is far from the pinnacle of storytelling but foreshadowing is a thing that exists.
I've seen people who've treated it like the Kennedy assassination to "prove" that he can't be Hawk Moth. I'm almost tempted to check out their godawful Tumblrs now just to see if they've gone into full denial and come up with a new theory that what we saw was a robot, based on a tweet Thomas Astruc once made about whether robots can be akumatised.

quote:

Also someone explain to me how Gabriel's little elevator to his evilization lair goes down, when the window is clearly like 2 stories above the ground floor. Does he go down and then take 3 flights of stairs up to the top floor or is this another Butterfly Miraculous superpower?
Ladybug: "Uh, it's magic."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Oracle posted:

And speaking of friends and characterization Adrien's super-seriousness when he thinks his dad might be Hawkmoth was well-played. Even left Ladybug hangin' on the fistpound to see if he was okay, not a single pun etc. And Nathalie knowing that Gabriel is Hawkmoth was a surprise as well. Wonder who's going to get that peacock pin hrrrm.

I mean, it's gonna be Adrimom.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Payndz posted:

I've seen people who've treated it like the Kennedy assassination to "prove" that he can't be Hawk Moth. I'm almost tempted to check out their godawful Tumblrs now just to see if they've gone into full denial and come up with a new theory that what we saw was a robot, based on a tweet Thomas Astruc once made about whether robots can be akumatised.

Please do and point me to them because I'm not seeing them in the hawk moth tag.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Check ml-spoilers and papillon, I’d guess.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I got around to rewatching Islands, and man, Martin gets more characterization in his first 5 seconds of screentime than he did in the entire rest of the series. They spent multiple episodes following him previously, but they had absolutely no interest in making him anything other than the most generic deadbeat dad.

Islands is a really good arc, Stakes was pretty good too, and then Elements is alright but has some issues. Finn's daddy issues and boner troubles along with fleshing out things about Gunter and the Ice King that nobody ever wanted to know were probably the nadir of the series. The more recent episodes really have their act together, and although I really didn't like the revelation that the candy people were purposefully made and kept dumb to keep them from rising up against Princess Bubblegum, and Crunchy, Manfried the Pinata, and Punchy the Punchbowl are somehow actually the remains of Princess Bubblegum's first attempt to make a family gone bad, I'm still looking forward to whatever the series has going on for it next especially whatever's going on with Uncle Gumbald.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
see, everything in that spoiler is, in a nutshell, why AT has gone to total poo poo.

I'm fine with the show getting darker, as long as it's done well. but the way AT does darkness is typically "take a thing that was cute and funny before, go on at length about how it's actually depressing and tragic and horrible." they've done it with nearly every major character to some extent or another (though most notably/hugely with Ice King and Lemongrab, other than the spoiler) and it's incredibly predictable at this point and kind of lovely.

e: like, it seems like they're actively trying to undermine how cutesy and wholesome and fun the first couple seasons were because it's Not For Kids Anymore, and that's incredibly goddamn stupid.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the Lemongrab thing is honestly why this sucks rear end in microcosm. Lemongrab is an insane man with the head of a lemon who is constantly shrieking (and voiced by Justin Roiland, no less). in comedy episodes, he's genuinely hilarious and probably one of the most enduring Funny Things from AT. but then they tried giving him a tragic past and making his insanity scary and not funny, and, uh, it really, really doesn't work because he's still a constantly-shrieking lemon-headed nutter. it flies in the face of not only his design, but the basic concept of him as a character, and I feel like they do this kind of poo poo without ever actually thinking it through and making sure it actually makes sense.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
As of episode 3 of Season 2 of Miraculous, Chat is aware they kissed in the Valentine’s Day episode. This is more progress in their characters than like 3/4 of season 1.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

see, everything in that spoiler is, in a nutshell, why AT has gone to total poo poo.

I'm fine with the show getting darker, as long as it's done well. but the way AT does darkness is typically "take a thing that was cute and funny before, go on at length about how it's actually depressing and tragic and horrible." they've done it with nearly every major character to some extent or another (though most notably/hugely with Ice King and Lemongrab, other than the spoiler) and it's incredibly predictable at this point and kind of lovely.

e: like, it seems like they're actively trying to undermine how cutesy and wholesome and fun the first couple seasons were because it's Not For Kids Anymore, and that's incredibly goddamn stupid.

I feel like the second someone decided that the unexploded nuke in the first 2 seconds of the intro was significant was when it all went downhill*. Granted I'm no writer, and maybe this was what Pen Ward had all along in his grand vision from episode 1, but I think it still sucks. I feel like this happens in any show where the setting is Earth but different in a slight way. For instance, look at people trying to dissect in what ways Steven Universe's earth differs from our own based entirely on like one screenshot of a map of Earth that has a chunk of Asia missing and poo poo. It doesn't matter what events led to this weird alternate world, just loving embrace the actual setting, the weird present world**. I think there was a map recently on OK KO that showed up recently and wasn't 1:1 accurate to our own and immediately people started theorizing what could have happened. Like, does it really matter at all in order to get a joke?

*Okay, maybe not quite then, because frankly the joke in Holly Jolly Secrets where a fake "You're watching the Adventure Time Christmas Special!" bumper at the bottom pops up while Simon/Ice King cries on tape is one of the funniest things I've seen.

**granted for SU it actually does matter a little bit, seeing as how the mysterious Gem War in the past informs the present so much, but people trying to sort out their personal canons for poo poo like "Whoa where were the gems in WW2?" is loving dumb.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
AT's fatal mistake was deciding to have an ongoing story/continuity in the first place. It's strength was always Pen Ward's sense of humor and steering away from that forced the show to rely on a plot the writers had never actually sat down and planned out. So you eventually end up with a show that's not very funny but also is full of poorly conceived plot threads that go nowhere.

It's getting better lately because I think the writers finally know what they want to do with the show, but in a lot of ways the damage is done and now they have like 20 seasons of bad story decisions that will haunt them forever.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

They also did this with Finn and Jake themselves by slowly re-framing their adventures as immature and dumb. It's an interesting idea for a show but it doesn't really work well in the context of AT IMO. Plus, I disagree with the idea that Finn and Jake aren't adulting properly and need to grow up. So what they don't have a 9-5 job and get to fart around all day? Good for them! We should all be so lucky. Plus their adventures usually contribute to the community in a positive way and are clearly lucrative so it's not like they're screwing themselves over long term by adventuring all day. Hell, you could even argue that Finn and Jake are more representative of how young adults get by these days than more traditional depictions of working life. But that's a post for DnD I suspect.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
It sucks because Holly Jolly Secrets was a total slam dunk. Then they did it to every character, but 5 times more often and less subtle.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TwoPair posted:

I feel like the second someone decided that the unexploded nuke in the first 2 seconds of the intro was significant was when it all went downhill*. Granted I'm no writer, and maybe this was what Pen Ward had all along in his grand vision from episode 1, but I think it still sucks. I feel like this happens in any show where the setting is Earth but different in a slight way. For instance, look at people trying to dissect in what ways Steven Universe's earth differs from our own based entirely on like one screenshot of a map of Earth that has a chunk of Asia missing and poo poo. It doesn't matter what events led to this weird alternate world, just loving embrace the actual setting, the weird present world**.

Nerds just can't get enough backstory. And the backstory is always lovely in a way that taints the rest of the series, because the showrunners almost never thought it through beforehand so it's just a bunch of lame retcons and call-forwards.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The show started with just about the silliest premise they could muster, and was a bunch of really zany adventures in exotic fantasy locales, and as the backstory dumps take over, all of that creative energy dissipates and gets lost in the grounding for the backstories. Finn and Jake don't just go plain adventuring anymore, there aren't any new princesses, kingdoms, or locations unless that's the entire focus of the episode, and it's really obvious that they really have to mine out the background details of the old show to have material for the newer show. The Orgalorg storyline was practically a breath of fresh air that would've been welcome if it hadn't been at its core just more backstory that nobody really ever asked for.

At least the pubescent angst has drained out now that the show's found its new footing. There are ups and downs, but it never gets as bad it was back when Finn had a boner and that was the center of an episode's plot with far-reaching implications. While watching through the series, my enjoyment went way down, but then it went back up.

You can say there was a similar old show/new show split in Steven Universe, because after season 1, they've already shown all the portal locations, and they never really have more episodes that are just a normal mission like the earlier show. The difference though, is that SU always planned for that sort of opening up into a narrative, so it wasn't that jarring and there's pretty clearly been a plan for where the plot has been going. OK KO has already been dropping hints at some kind of a future narrative, but I don't forsee that getting any less zany. They've seen Adventure Time's awkward growing pains, and they've learned from it. To contrast, there's Regular Show, which was basically the same start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Regular Show knew what it wanted to be from the start, did it consistently, and did it well. It's nice when a show grows and opens up as it goes on, but if a show finds its niche and sticks with it, that's fine too.

God, it's weird to think that Regular Show ended just this year.