Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

notoriousman posted:

Sorely tempted to grab this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Man I feel bad for Karkat, I hope he patches things up with Terezi. Anyone who can create an infinite fractal of irate self-diatribes deserves to have a happy ending.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Fucknag posted:

I just wonder if it would look slightly better if it were bigger. It's so tiny as is :stare:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cryophage posted:

I don't think there actually is a concrete "this is where it all went to poo poo" point. Davesprite is a part of the Alpha timeline, therefor that failed Beta timeline was actually required to fail for the timeline to remain stable. Its Beta-ness was Alpha.
While there was no official "this is where it all went to poo poo" point, John's deal he made with Typheus is the formal point at which the timeline became relevant again to the alpha. Bargains with the Denizens have to do with your mortality, and I'd be willing to bet money that Typheus informed John that Dave would only go back in time to become Davesprite if John was killed. Otherwise the timeline would have just been extinguished eventually.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

I just wonder if it would look slightly better if it were bigger. It's so tiny as is :stare:

The tinyness only serves to embiggen his rage.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

I think I'll keep him tiny. I'm torn on the title though.

gently caress, THIS IS SO EMBARRASSING LISTENING TO THIS, MAKE IT STOP.

or

WHAT THE gently caress MADE ME THINK THIS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA???

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

notoriousman posted:

Has anyone grabbed this one yet? I've been meaning to upgrade for a while.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Boogaleeboo posted:

That's not why they are considered 'paradoxical' in real life, the absence of time travel. They are a paradox because there is no beginning to the item/information in question. Time travel doesn't logically give things a beginning just because they are in a loop. The kids Guardians come from themselves, because of John...who is made from a mix of Guardians by himself. But what started that cycle? The next words out of your mouth are paradox or religion. A thing that doesn't have a beginning is, by nature, a paradox. It exists because it exists, and has always existed because of it's own existence. It's effect without cause.

Just because Paradox Space is fine with that doesn't make it any less of a paradox. Paradox Space, after all, eats paradoxes for breakfast.

What makes you think there is a start?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

The Big Man... hass made a fatle mistak. His dunkn arm is behind his hornses.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

quote:

I don't think there actually is a concrete "this is where it all went to poo poo" point. Davesprite is a part of the Alpha timeline, therefor that failed Beta timeline was actually required to fail for the timeline to remain stable. Its Beta-ness was Alpha.
There's a whole bunch of stuff in that beta timeline that made it relevant to the alpha. Rose and Dave's dream selves waking up (not to mention Rose growing to trust the Horrorterrors). And perhaps most importantly, John getting Fear No Anvil, giving him the hitting power to deal with Liches, reach the ectobiology console, and make sure everyone was created in the first place.

cforrester
Apr 3, 2007

We thought the Lord was gonna call Joel home until we got this card. Cambot, can we show a picture of this one?
Karkat is eventually just going to collapse into a self-loathing singularity that rips apart reality and it's going to be Black Mesa all the gently caress over again.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Captain Oblivious posted:

What makes you think there is a start?

I don't. I also think it's paradoxical. What makes *you* think things with no causal beginning that exist in Paradox Space are not paradoxical? The fact something called 'Paradox Space' allows them to happen? Because it's not contradictory? That's not the sole meaning of a paradox, especially as regards temporal paradoxes. In fact the bootstraps and predestination paradoxes are entirely about temporal events that seem to have no beginning. My favorite fictional example being John Connor from The Terminator. God bless his quest to send his dad back in time to have sex with his mom!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

I don't. I also think it's paradoxical. What makes *you* think things with no causal beginning that exist in Paradox Space are not paradoxical? The fact something called 'Paradox Space' allows them to happen? Because it's not contradictory? That's not the sole meaning of a paradox, especially as regards temporal paradoxes. In fact the bootstraps and predestination paradoxes are entirely about temporal events that seem to have no beginning. My favorite fictional example being John Connor from The Terminator. God bless his quest to send his dad back in time to have sex with his mom!

You almost gave me something I could discuss but stopped short. You point out that's not the sole meaning of a paradox, and then fail to explain what definition it is meeting in detail.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Fucknag posted:

Oh, crud. I just saw it, and went ahead and bought it before I saw your post!

Sorry about that, man!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Oh, crud. I just saw it, and went ahead and bought it before I saw your post!

Sorry about that, man!

:<

Ah well, it's Homestuck, there'll be something better along shortly.

Sucker.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

cforrester posted:

Karkat is eventually just going to collapse into a self-loathing singularity that rips apart reality and it's going to be Black Mesa all the gently caress over again.

His self-loathing was way down in this last conversation. Hell, by the end of it he's even letting go of it and remarking how pointless it is in favour of focusing on his newfound resolve to fix his relationship with Terezi.

I also think this is a good chance to pause and appreciate Hussie's writing skill. This conversation reads just about perfectly in terms of Karkat's evolving train of thought straight on through from past to present to future Karkat.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Oh my goodness that Karkat Charlie Brown cloud...

And yes, if I were in a lesser state of mind, I might be tempted to repeat through the entire conversation on loop. Luckily, I am instead wondering what the next phase of intermission will be. More meteor nonsense? John and Jade? PM's quest to kill Bec Noir?

Nah, I don't care about any of that. As long as WV is back in action, I'm happy. :3:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Aaand watch the next page be Karkat just hanging himself out of the sheer futility of reality. And that's the alpha end. Not only is his alpha existence revealed as futile to him, but coming to terms with said existence is alpha unacceptable.

dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zorak posted:

Aaand watch the next page be Karkat just hanging himself out of the sheer futility of reality. And that's the alpha end. Not only is his alpha existence revealed as futile to him, but coming to terms with said existence is alpha unacceptable.

And that's how he goes god tier

also nice new avatar

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

pandaK posted:

And that's how he goes god tier

also nice new avatar

What, with his Quest Noose?

Although I admit it's an interesting way to get Terezi back.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Captain Oblivious posted:

You point out that's not the sole meaning of a paradox, and then fail to explain what definition it is meeting in detail.

...I told you, events that have no temporal beginning. There is an entire subsection of temporal paradoxes that deal with events that happen because of themselves [Like, oh I don't know, bootstraps and predestination paradoxes. I wish I had brought them up earlier!]. I could break down the specifics of the two examples of temporal paradoxes I named just to pad this out.

The 'Bootstraps' paradox is where information/an item from the future is brought to the past to ultimately be the source of the information/item in the future [Much more rare for items, what with that pesky second law of thermodynamics]. It has no existence outside the loop. Hence 'Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps', a temporal event without any external interference. The related predestination paradox is an event that causes it's own existence. A man goes into the past to investigate something, ends up causing the event in the first place, sets in motion a chain of events that ensures he will cause the event in the first place, for instance. Lot of that going around in time travel fiction.

If you are asking why things without beginnings or causes are paradoxical, I don't think we are really speaking the same language. You seem to think them happening is a cause, as if the man going into the past to investigate an event he himself instigated is 'case closed', when the rest of reality is just looking at you horror struck. The only place something like that flies is in Homestuck's paradox space, which again....is called paradox space for a reason.

e: As for the actual comic, I'm actually just about done with Karkat getting mad at himself alone. Everyone's moved on dude, you aren't that interesting, just go talk to people.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 14, 2012

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Zorak posted:

The real question is

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

...I told you, events that have no temporal beginning. There is an entire subsection of temporal paradoxes that deal with events that happen because of themselves [Like, oh I don't know, bootstraps and predestination paradoxes. I wish I had brought them up earlier!]. I could break down the specifics of the two examples of temporal paradoxes I named just to pad this out.

The 'Bootstraps' paradox is where information/an item from the future is brought to the past to ultimately be the source of the information/item in the future [Much more rare for items, what with that pesky second law of thermodynamics]. It has no existence outside the loop. Hence 'Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps', a temporal event without any external interference. The related predestination paradox is an event that causes it's own existence. A man goes into the past to investigate something, ends up causing the event in the first place, sets in motion a chain of events that ensures he will cause the event in the first place, for instance. Lot of that going around in time travel fiction.

If you are asking why things without beginnings or causes are paradoxical, I don't think we are really speaking the same language. You seem to think them happening is a cause, as if the man going into the past to investigate an event he himself instigated is 'case closed', when the rest of reality is just looking at you horror struck. The only place something like that flies is in Homestuck's paradox space, which again....is called paradox space for a reason.

e: As for the actual comic, I'm actually just about done with Karkat getting mad at himself alone. Everyone's moved on dude, you aren't that interesting, just go talk to people.

None of this is involved with the actual definition of a paradox. It is the definition of a paradox in certain pieces of fiction which include time travel, which varies from piece of fiction to piece of fiction on account of time travel being the fakest fakey faker.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

notoriousman posted:

Are you guys still doing the thing where people make avatars?

[two little karkats, bitching in a row]

I saw this post, and was inspired.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Literally Sharks posted:

Gorgeous. :allears:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Boogaleeboo posted:

paradoxchat

The problem here is that closed time loops do have a cause, themselves (which you outright deny there). But consider the example brought up earlier:
Being your own grandfather vs Killing your own grandfather

The first means that you're involved in your own personal creation. It does not mean creation is not taking place, only that the future (with all its foreknowledge) interferes in it. It IS paradoxical from a linear view of time, but if you step back from the timeline, and look at it as a whole instead of viewing it from a subjective viewpoint from inside it, there is no reason that "knots" like this can't happen within the same timeline.

Killing your grandfather, on the other hand, actually does cause a creation paradox, since you actually DO lose a point in the loop, whose every point is dependant on the one that came before it, and at that point you have to have splitting timelines to allow for that stuff.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Literally Sharks posted:

FCG: WE ARE JUST THE DUMBEST FUCKERS WHO EVER LIVED AREN'T WE.
CCG: SPEAK FOR YOURSELF.

Glans
Mar 10, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Dolash is totally out of place among goons because he has a soul and humanity

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I hope this update goes where I think it could possibly go. (Hint: What that particular art style sometimes means.)

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
To be fair to them, they have certainly added a lot of class to the computer room. Gotta hand it to them for that.

That and it would be nice if there was another walkabout flash, but only if it includes a Karkat where, when you try to interact with me, his sprite starts to spin into infinity!

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

MyFaceBeHi posted:

To be fair to them, they have certainly added a lot of class to the computer room. Gotta hand it to them for that.

This is making me wonder what the meteor will look like by the time three years is up. It'll probably be barely recognizable.

I too wouldn't be opposed to a flash game, though I'm not counting on it. This sprite style also shows up before Hussnasty mode as well, for example.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The snarky horseshitometer must be in perpetual flux in there.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

The snarky horseshitometer must be in perpetual flux in there.
It exploded a long time ago.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What's going on?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxRzR63adPo

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Elysiume posted:

What's going on?

The kitchen part was perfect.

Norton Ghostride
Apr 30, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Elysiume posted:

What's going on?

I don't think I've laughed this hard in a long, long time. Infact, not since I saw the Hank Hill version of this.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
That's much better than most 'homestuck people dance to a song' clips. A lot better.

Acidophilus
Aug 27, 2009

What's all this then?
All this Dreambubblechat is leading me to a theory on the Horrorterrors. HTs oppose creation, as has been referred to a bit in comic and Formspring. But what does that mean? I think what it means is that state of existence that the HTs and dreambubbles are in is sort of UnCreation. All possible outcomes of all decisions that you could have made, (decisions that would have failed to generate another reality in the chain), are represented in the bubbles.
Everything that could have existed does, but not really. There's no ability for change like in real life,(especially not the miraculous ability of Skaia to create entire realities from basically nothing) only the mixing of bubbles. Nothing new is generated, and there is none of the importance and meaning to decisions like there is in a Universe. Dreambubble residents are not upset by this because they aren't really who they are when they're alive, because there is no ability/desire to enact change on themselves and their environment like in life.
HTs are dangerous because they try to lure players into this kind of existence, keeping them in a meaningless dream land and preventing them truly changing themselves and participating in creation.
To present an answer to Karkat's musings; your decisions and selfhood still matter, but not in Dreambubbles. Holy crap that's a lot of quasi-philosophical musings for video game parody webcomic.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Boogaleeboo posted:

I don't. I also think it's paradoxical.

Ontological paradoxes are not considered paradoxical for the purposes of Homestuck. As has been talked about many times before, not every piece of fiction has to treat time travel the same way, and there is no "right" way to portray a completely made up thing, despite some people's insistence to the contrary (not saying this is you though).

Like Captain Oblivious said, the important thing here is that everything is made the gently caress up, and something being A Paradox has much more to do with whether the story considers it one than with your ability to suspend your disbelief or make sense of it (the latter being the usual definition of a paradox, but we're in make believe fairytale country here, so it doesn't actually matter if anything makes real life sense so long as we're told it does).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I really hope the latest upd8 is a lead into a new Alterniabound where we control Dave. :3