Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why are you doing this to us. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lurdiak posted:

Why are you doing this to us. :(

If it's any consolation, the first two parts of the Iwata/Itoi interview have been fan-translated:

http://kamedani.tumblr.com/post/45700864819/mother-2-re-release-discussion-part-1

http://kamedani.tumblr.com/post/45769265360/hobo-nichi-mother-2-re-release-part-2

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I was posting these in the Wii U thread but I figure I can post 'em in here now, too:

Iwata's been tweeting about Mother 2 as part of the "Mother 2 Resurrection Festival" surrounding the Wii U VC re-release, here's what's been said so far:

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/313552759834165248

"Hello, this is Mr. Iwata from Nintendo. From the 20th you will be able to download Mother 2 on the Wii U virtual console. I was involved with this game as a programmer, so it is a game with a lot of memories for me. I found something familiar at home, so I thought I'd share. "

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/313553070455943168

"Also, a conversation with Mr. Itoi is posted over at Hobonichi. From today, a new piece will be upload every day until the 20th. Please take the chance to read it, if you have time. http://www.1101.com/nintendo/mother2_wiiu/2013-03-18.html "

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/313834574473994241

"Hello, this is Mr. Iwata from Nintendo. Continuing on from yesterday, here are more 'Mother 2' goods. This is a specially-made jacket that was given out to the staff who worked on Mother 2. The logo has been recreated in embroidery. This, too, is one of my treasures."

Supposedly Shigesato Itoi is going to be streaming a live playthrough on 3/22 at 8PM JST.

http://www.1101.com/nintendo/mother2_live/index.html

I can't confirm it because my kanji is shittastic but there you go.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Caitlin posted:

Hoooooooooly shitballs tell me this is getting subbed soon please so I can die happy. :toot:

:aaaaa:

I beat Mother 2 before I knew Japanese because I had played Earthbound so much. I am so ready for this :qq:

Also an Itoi playthrough holy poo poo will we find secrets nobody knows yet will he activate the debug menu in game aaaa

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Wagan Land

gently caress you dude!

Thanks!

As much as I want to be excited about Arino playing Mother 2 I'm honestly really skeptical on if they'll be able to make a good episode out of an RPG. Please prove me wrong GCCX. :(

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

Brother Entropy posted:

Thanks!

As much as I want to be excited about Arino playing Mother 2 I'm honestly really skeptical on if they'll be able to make a good episode out of an RPG. Please prove me wrong GCCX. :(

It's only a Nintendo Channel update, so it's not a typical episode. Ususally they just highlight a small part of the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

His challenge will be to survive Peaceful Rest Valley long enough to rescue Paula.

(Challenge: FAILED)

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

The Fire Emblem video is pretty entertaining for how often Arino's strategies get his characters killed. Especially since he likes to brag about how he's got the enemies scared right before it happens on at least two occasions. :v:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SpaceGodzilla posted:

It's only a Nintendo Channel update, so it's not a typical episode. Ususally they just highlight a small part of the game.

Ohhhh, that's reassuring then. It'll be alot easier to show off the humorous stuff of the game if they're just focusing on one section or something.

edit: Also it probably wouldn't make for a good challenge because Arino comes off like a big fan of the series already. He probably wouldn't hit a difficult section or need help from the ADs or anything.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Brother Entropy posted:

edit: Also it probably wouldn't make for a good challenge because Arino comes off like a big fan of the series already. He probably wouldn't hit a difficult section or need help from the ADs or anything.

Solution - play with the copy protection active.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Kinda random, but I hope Arino challenged the NES version of Maniac Mansion someday. A man can dream, can't he?

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

Great Rumbler posted:

Kinda random, but I hope Arino challenged the NES version of Maniac Mansion someday. A man can dream, can't he?

Yes, a man can dream. I just dont think it will ever happen.

Should be cool seeing them play Earthbound in any capacity for the show, honestly.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
Looks like biohazardguild's main account got suspended. RIP :(

Pulled Pork
Jun 11, 2011

Nayato posted:

Looks like biohazardguild's main account got suspended. RIP :(

Engendering goodwill in the community that surrounds your product that built itself from the ground up with no support from you fail. Bad Gascoin. Very bad.

ETA: Pic related?

Pulled Pork fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 20, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Eh, annoying for the guy putting in the work uploading stuff I am sure, but you can't really complain, it is their stuff and they get to decide how it is published. youtube is a bit overly public, real fans can get stuff easily enough.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fairly certain the majority of them are up on Dailymotion.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

And then I remember I bought this years ago:

:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:
I still have my original cart, box, and player's guide. And the Super Famicom cart (and box and manual). And the Mother 1+2 GBA cart (and box and manual).

Buy this poo poo when it comes out and it's not that expensive! It'll still be just as retro thirty years down the road.

Obviously it's one of my favorite games, so I can't wait to see Arino play whatever portion of it they set out for him. I think it's one of Arino's favorites, too, especially given how quickly he got the catch copy for it. That'll be a nice change of pace.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 20, 2013

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Doubt anyone but Fuji TV was behind that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Great Rumbler posted:

The Famicom version is actually a different port than the NES one. Weird but true.

Also, thanks Kan for yet another extremely text heavy episode. Because Fire Emblem, [NOT SAYING YET], and [OR THIS ONE EITHER] weren't enough to drive us up the wall.

What's next month's Japanese VC 30 yen release? Famicom Fairy Tales? That dating sim that I can't remember the name of?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

Buy this poo poo when it comes out and it's not that expensive! It'll still be just as retro thirty years down the road.

Eh, but 99.9% of the time games go massively down in value; I think on Playstation 1 the only game that's really above its SRP on eBay is Suikoden 2 and even then it's not by that much. This goes double for old hardware; an "expensive" old console will be something like $100-$150 which is overall way less than the price of the system when it was new, especially when you factor in inflation. Hell, even Earthbound's price difference isn't huge after inflation if you can live with cart-only status: the game cost $70 in 1995 which is $105 today. eBay has recently-sold copies at $155, so you wind up paying $50 or so more, which you automatically "make back" seven-fold when you buy a $50 Sega Saturn or buy a dozen games whenever Gamestop/EB Games has their "end of console life" fire sales.

That being said, it's a lot easier to predict the scarcity of games these days, and if you're on top of video game news you can generally avoid problems; we knew well ahead of time that Xenoblade Chronicles would be extremely limited in North America, and if you know which games are going to have a problem you can purchase accordingly.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

univbee posted:

Eh, but 99.9% of the time games go massively down in value; I think on Playstation 1 the only game that's really above its SRP on eBay is Suikoden 2 and even then it's not by that much. This goes double for old hardware; an "expensive" old console will be something like $100-$150 which is overall way less than the price of the system when it was new, especially when you factor in inflation. Hell, even Earthbound's price difference isn't huge after inflation if you can live with cart-only status: the game cost $70 in 1995 which is $105 today. eBay has recently-sold copies at $155, so you wind up paying $50 or so more, which you automatically "make back" seven-fold when you buy a $50 Sega Saturn or buy a dozen games whenever Gamestop/EB Games has their "end of console life" fire sales.

That being said, it's a lot easier to predict the scarcity of games these days, and if you're on top of video game news you can generally avoid problems; we knew well ahead of time that Xenoblade Chronicles would be extremely limited in North America, and if you know which games are going to have a problem you can purchase accordingly.

Yeah, unless it's a limited edition item (and it's truly limited edition) the price will dip under MSRP.

Xenoblade is one of the few games I see exceeding MSRP these days, and that may be because everyone and their mother knows it was a limited release (sold through only gamestop/nintendo preorders).

Some RPGs on the PS2 are getting there though. Devil Summoner 1/2 were, but now they have reprints. Some of the .hack games (quaratine especially) is more than MSRP.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Just watched the Earthbound challenge, which took place in the new room. Subtitles coming soon. The goal was to reach Giant Step.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

zari-gani posted:

Just watched the Earthbound challenge, which took place in the new room. Subtitles coming soon. The goal was to reach Giant Step.

I'm excited, thanks for the hard work!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Huh, should be pretty easy then. Still sounds fun.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zari-gani posted:

I love you and all of your hard work! :love:

So totally excited!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

zari-gani posted:

I kind of wish they had started him at Giant Step and made him get to Lilliput Steps, since that would make him go through Peaceful Rest Valley, one of the hardest parts of the game. (It's also called "Grateful Dead Valley" in the Japanese version of the game, so that's another plus.)

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

zari-gani posted:

Wooo

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, should be pretty easy then. Still sounds fun.

Well, there are a few spots that can definitely trip you up if you don't prepare (Frankie :argh:). Arino loves Dragon Quest though, so he's well versed in grinding in RPGs.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

I jokingly thought to myself that maybe that'll be the challenge.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm actually not that well versed on Earthbound as some people here seem to be. I only started to check it out after I realized how rare and sought after game it was and played it a little bit. Even the cheapest cart-only version costs around 170 € on eBay, so I guess I'll pick up that emulator again...

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
It's not even a really rare game. It's mostly the highly obsessive Earthbound fanbase, combined with the price of physical SNES games going up thanks to nostalgia, as well as never seeing a re-release, that's keeping prices high and supply low. You don't see many copies in the wild because a lot of people are hoarding them in an attempt to sell them at crazy high prices that others are willing to pay.

A complete-in-box copy of Earthbound goes for about as much as a complete-in-box copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. The big difference between the two is that Panzer Dragoon Saga really did have a limited print run thanks to it being one of the last US-released Saturn games, with the Saturn being a distant third place in popularity compared to the PS1 and N64. Also, unlike Earthbound, which at least has a sliver of a chance to get re-released because it's a rather simple SNES game by a technical standpoint, Panzer Dragoon Saga will most likely never see a re-release ever due to how stupidly complicated Saturn games are to port.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's not even a really rare game. It's mostly the highly obsessive Earthbound fanbase, combined with the price of physical SNES games going up thanks to nostalgia, as well as never seeing a re-release, that's keeping prices high and supply low. You don't see many copies in the wild because a lot of people are hoarding them in an attempt to sell them at crazy high prices that others are willing to pay.

A complete-in-box copy of Earthbound goes for about as much as a complete-in-box copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. The big difference between the two is that Panzer Dragoon Saga really did have a limited print run thanks to it being one of the last US-released Saturn games, with the Saturn being a distant third place in popularity compared to the PS1 and N64. Also, unlike Earthbound, which at least has a sliver of a chance to get re-released because it's a rather simple SNES game by a technical standpoint, Panzer Dragoon Saga will most likely never see a re-release ever due to how stupidly complicated Saturn games are to port.

They also lost the entire source code for Panzer Dragoon Saga. It might be easier to reverse engineer from the PS2 PD collection. Earthbound? dead simple, and it's already on the virtual console.

In Japan.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hirayuki posted:

I still have my original cart, box, and player's guide. And the Super Famicom cart (and box and manual). And the Mother 1+2 GBA cart (and box and manual).

I was like 8 when it came out, and I don't speak japanese. My bad I guess?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I wonder if Itoi, a copywriter by trade, ever saw the only American ad for Earthbound; and if he did, I wonder how he felt about the giant farting rear end.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Because just releasing it in the US/EUR would veer far too close to Nintendo getting something right without having to go the most obtuse way about it.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Ineffiable posted:

They also lost the entire source code for Panzer Dragoon Saga. It might be easier to reverse engineer from the PS2 PD collection. Earthbound? dead simple, and it's already on the virtual console.

In Japan.

Except there's a ton of (possibly) copyright infringing material in Earthbound that would take a good deal of work to remove so that they Nintendo could avoid getting sued. Kind of fits with GCCX in with the way they use music as well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ineffiable posted:

In Japan.

There's no Panzer Dragoon collection for PS2, just a Sega Ages remake of the first game based on the PC version.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's no Panzer Dragoon collection for PS2, just a Sega Ages remake of the first game based on the PC version.

I thought the Sega Ages collection had a bit more than that on it. Like the Game Gear game and some other ancillary material...

Edit: Also, there's nothing like working for a solid hour on an episode, going back and realizing you've done about 45 seconds of footage... Why must every element be slightly out of synch with each other and of variable length every time they appear?

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 20, 2013

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I was like 8 when it came out, and I don't speak japanese. My bad I guess?
Should've asked for it for your birthday, then.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

I thought the Sega Ages collection had a bit more than that on it. Like the Game Gear game and some other ancillary material...

The Sega Ages version of Panzer Dragoon features the original game and an "arrange" version that runs at a higher resolution and has a few other little enhancements that make it slightly less ugly, and there's a gallery that includes concept art, design documents and a playthrough video with audio commentary from the director. No Game Gear game or any material related to the older games, as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Great Rumbler posted:

I'd love to watch Arino do any point-and-click adventure game since IMO, they're more fun to watch compared to straight up text adventure games.

The biggest exception to this is the Walking Dead game by Telltale (not to be confused with the lovely Activision FPS based on the show that came out a few days ago) just because I don't want to watch Arino cry at the end. I know they wouldn't do it anyways since it's pretty new for the show and likely doesn't have a Japanese version yet, but still... That loving ending... :cry: