Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’ve been predicting the death of RSNs for like five years and they haven’t slowed down. I think at this point all these networks are testing the limits of what the public will pay. As soon as they see a significant dip then they’ll back off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
MLS made a smart move by lining up all their broadcasting contracts for renegotiation after the 2022 season. When I say ‘all’, I literally mean all - regional, national, and international.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i remember reading that espn priced separately would come to ~$30/month, so that sounds about right

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Vertical Lime posted:

i remember reading that espn priced separately would come to ~$30/month, so that sounds about right

I think Bally is fooling themselves if they think their content offering worth 66% of what ESPN is offering. For some people (baseball or basketball or NHL die-hards) it will be, but $20/mo is going to run a lot of people off.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
If not for TMobile’s deal with MLB I don’t know how much baseball I’d watch; the Nationals blackout bubble used to extend all the way to Raleigh, but good luck getting the RSN all the way down there. So so dumb.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/mlberrors/status/1408893805684797446

So uh... Wow Chip.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
doesn't he work for the braves lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

doesn't he work for the braves lol

Yep lmao

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Braves broadcaster who only has his job by virtue of being the son of a beloved cubs broadcaster has to be just behind "the friends and family of Greg Maddux" on the list of people who should never forget that Maddux exists

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

Braves broadcaster who only has his job by virtue of being the son of a beloved cubs broadcaster has to be just behind "the friends and family of Greg Maddux" on the list of people who should never forget that Maddux exists

He’s actually the grandson of Harry Caray. He worked for the Cubs for a little bit too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How does he even begin to think that that factoid is accurate, regardless of working for the Braves? There have been thousands of major leaguers and there are several common last names ending in X. You don’t need to remember Sandy Koufax, you can just remember that names like Fox and Cox exist.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Jimmie Foxx and Bobby Cox are both in the loving HOF, not to mention Cox managed the Braves and Greg Maddox for loving ever. God he sucks.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He could be the first major leaguer named "Hendrix" right? Maybe that's what he meant.

Also who cares
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkOJ9uNj9EY

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Sports are the only reason I even have or care about live TV, so if I could pay $20-30 a month to watch the Hornets/Canes/Braves and then just drop down to one of the basic streaming packages that has ESPN/Fox/etc. for football, that should save me some money. gently caress paying $65 for YouTube TV when no RSNs are on it, and I certainly won't keep doing that in addition to paying for a separate Bally service.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

RumbleFish posted:

Sports are the only reason I even have or care about live TV, so if I could pay $20-30 a month to watch the Hornets/Canes/Braves and then just drop down to one of the basic streaming packages that has ESPN/Fox/etc. for football, that should save me some money. gently caress paying $65 for YouTube TV when no RSNs are on it, and I certainly won't keep doing that in addition to paying for a separate Bally service.

Can you still get any of the basic streaming packages for less than $50/mo? What, maybe bottom-tier Sling?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

He’s actually the grandson of Harry Caray. He worked for the Cubs for a little bit too.

"Little bit?" He was their play-by-play guy for like a decade.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Does Hawk have a lovely nepotism case failson?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1409568698428448773

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bip Roberts posted:

The White Sox had one of his sons in their minor league system for a couple of years, but he was a scrub.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Timby posted:

"Little bit?" He was their play-by-play guy for like a decade.

I try not to remember how long he was there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I try not to remember how long he was there.

I just remember Dusty Baker and a bunch of Cubs, notably Kent Mercker and I think Moises Alou, whining about Steve Stone and Chip Caray being too negative on the team. Got to the point that Mercker called the booth from the bullpen, and when Stone was told who was on the line, he said, "Who the gently caress is Kent Mercker?"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1409615524699516929

a world class goal call for Paul Pogba's absolute banger. did not expect the language change at all.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Bip Roberts posted:

even as someone who liked hawk longer than i should of because nostalgia is a hell of a drug, i would die/kill others to keep benetti and stone in the booth in prepetuity

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the espn package begins with the drafts

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1409628180521000965

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

on espn2

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

General Dog posted:

Can you still get any of the basic streaming packages for less than $50/mo? What, maybe bottom-tier Sling?

I admittedly haven't looked in a while, but yeah, I was thinking of Sling. It's annoying, because I absolutely don't want to deal with their equipment and abysmal customer service, but I might legit just go back to cable if I can't cobble together something reasonably affordable with streaming services. It sucks there will never be an a la carte sports plan, because they're the only thing keeping pay TV alive and thus will never get separated out of larger packages.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the full announcement of espn's hockey personnel

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1409904963900280842

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Better than ESPNplus

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vertical Lime posted:

the full announcement of espn's hockey personnel

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1409904963900280842

Bring back Gary Thorne, you cock gobblers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gary's like 75 and hockey very badly needs to stop living in 1997

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

Hockey needs to keep living in 1997, by which I mean the Detroit Red Wings winning the Stanley Cup

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

AsInHowe posted:

Hockey needs to keep living in 1997, by which I mean the Detroit Red Wings winning the Stanley Cup

:hmmyes:

The only thing I really wanted them to keep was the music, which they did so we're good.
https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1409908995192672256

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Timby posted:

Bring back Gary Thorne, you c-.

word choice plz

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

AsInHowe posted:

can we cut off on June 12th though

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

can we cut off on June 12th though

Yeah

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SteveGelbs/status/1410018644244013061

this is phenomenal lol

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

DJExile posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4lMzKPQh4Q

all lower case font is TIGHT err, tight

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
The times has an article on a situation with Rachel Nichols and Maria Taylor regarding NBA finals coverage that i had no idea was going on. The TLDR is that apparently Nichols contract had wording in it that made it seem like she was supposed to host the NBA finals, but ESPN decided to give it to Taylor for the 2020 playoffs. Nichols went off while talking to Lebron's agent suggesting that Taylor was getting the job because of "diversity" on the phone but forgot that her camera was on. The video was stored on ESPN servers and an employee sent it around which caused lots of issues as one might imagine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/04/sports/basketball/espn-rachel-nichols-maria-taylor.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

quote:

Mendelsohn, throughout the conversation, strategized with Nichols about how she should respond to ESPN. “Be careful because that place is a snake pit,” he said. They considered a move that Mendelsohn described as “baller” but “hard to pull off”: telling Pitaro and others that having two women competing over the same job was a sign of ESPN’s wider shortcomings with female employees.

“Those same people — who are, like, generally white conservative male Trump voters — is part of the reason I’ve had a hard time at ESPN,” Nichols said during the conversation. “I basically finally just outworked everyone for so long that they had to recognize it. I don’t want to then be a victim of them trying to play catch-up for the same damage that affected me in the first place, you know what I mean. So I’m trying to just be nice.”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
drat Rachel really Grizzly Manned herself into every black employee hating her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao love to see it.