Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also the stat investment past 100 AGI is pretty ridiculous. You need 99 in both ATN and ADP to get 120 AGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

dis astranagant posted:

Also the stat investment past 100 AGI is pretty ridiculous. You need 99 in both ATN and ADP to get 120 AGI

There's a reason for that. Just as dark damage scales to whichever stat of your faith or int is the lowest, agility scales to whichever stat of your endurance or adaptability is lowest. Attunement doesn't matter for agility as much as adaptability and endurance (either that, or agility scales to whichever is the lowest of all 3 stats). At 50 attunement, 24 adaptability, and 24 endurance, you should hit the soft cap of 110 agility. Increase your endurance and adaptability in lockstep with each other in order to optimize your agility gains. Going from 110-120 agility isn't worth it unless you're pretty much soul level ~500 though. Before you take that drastic step, you're better off getting vigor to 50 (soft cap), and vitality to 40 (or was it 39, softcap). The vitality indirectly increases your stamina regen time, because higher equip load reduces stamina regen. Also, the vitality obviously improves your rolling/movement speed by reducing your equip load %.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 8, 2014

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I thought I'd read somewhere when DS2 was in dev that they were adding a way to zoom/aim magic like you can w/bows? Am I crazy?

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Magus42 posted:

I thought I'd read somewhere when DS2 was in dev that they were adding a way to zoom/aim magic like you can w/bows? Am I crazy?

Equip binoculars in your off-hand. You can use the binoculars to aim and then cast your magic while the binoculars are up. If you drain all your stamina with the casts, your binoculars will "turn off", and your final shot will not aim where you last had your binoculars pointed. If you don't want that last shot to be wasted, then make sure to always keep your stamina above 0.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Magus42 posted:

I also saw that they added in strong attacks for magic casts, apparently they removed that? Had something to do with "More damage for the same number of cast uses? No!!!"

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I really regret upgrading my twinblade now that the durability bug has been explained. Seriously, it breaks before I've even been able to finish a small-summon-sign shade co-op run.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Artificer posted:

gently caress hexers forever in PvP.

Dark infuse your rebel's great shield or your transgressor's leather shield. The former will have 100% dark resist (or close to it), as will the latter. Only raise your shield when you need to though, or the hexer might just guard break you.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Cactus posted:

I really regret upgrading my twinblade now that the durability bug has been explained. Seriously, it breaks before I've even been able to finish a small-summon-sign shade co-op run.

You can buy unlimited repair powders from chancellor wellager. The bracing knuckle ring +2 is also good for your issue.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ComaPrison posted:

You can buy unlimited repair powders from chancellor wellager. The bracing knuckle ring +2 is also good for your issue.

If you have the money for them, sure, but you won't on a first run. Those are more expensive than weapons with low durability are worth.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

ComaPrison posted:

Equip binoculars in your off-hand. You can use the binoculars to aim and then cast your magic while the binoculars are up. If you drain all your stamina with the casts, your binoculars will "turn off", and your final shot will not aim where you last had your binoculars pointed. If you don't want that last shot to be wasted, then make sure to always keep your stamina above 0.

I guess that'll work; according to a youtube video I just looked up to find where the binoculars are, aiming spells did exist in the network test, but was removed before release :(

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you have the money for them, sure, but you won't on a first run. Those are more expensive than weapons with low durability are worth.

You can get bracing knuckle ring +2 on your first run. It's in the undead crypt.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Also are they really just gonna leave hexes the way they are? :psyduck:

Use the rebel shield.

Seriously casters of any type have no idea what to do when their spells do nothing to you, and its good against any other thing too mostly, just have a 100% shield on hand too in case your opponent likes to get physical.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 8, 2014

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Magus42 posted:

I guess that'll work; according to a youtube video I just looked up to find where the binoculars are, aiming spells did exist in the network test, but was removed before release :(

It's effective once you get the hang of it. You'll rarely miss except when trying to aim around oddly modeled terrain features/structures (perhaps as a consequence of the imprecise collision modelling for said features/structures).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So is there any sort of weapon setup for int scaling that doesn't suck rear end? I was doing my ds1 setup of rapier/sorcery and apparently it sucks rear end.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ComaPrison posted:

You can get bracing knuckle ring +2 on your first run. It's in the undead crypt.

I'm not talking about the ring, I'm talking about the repair powder.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Crackbone posted:

So is there any sort of weapon setup for int scaling that doesn't suck rear end? I was doing my ds1 setup of rapier/sorcery and apparently it sucks rear end.

Get a mace. 90% of enemies in this game are hysterically weak to Strike. There's even a pre-infused Magic Mace in Huntsmans' Copse not far in.

That's kind of the one thing I hate about Dark Souls 2, is that Strike vulnerability is so over the top that I feel like an idiot for using anything other than a mace or a large club for the early/mid game.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

Heliosicle posted:

Use the rebel shield.

Seriously casters of any type have no idea what to do when their spells do nothing to you, and its good against any other thing too mostly, just have a 100% shield on hand too in case your opponent likes to get physical.

I bought DS2 on the xbox when it was released and chose a pure melee character and dominated PVP.
However, on the PC I have went pure caster and despite finding PVE a bit too easy, I get destroyed in PVP. Regardless of how overpowered Hexes are, they're usually defeated by a simple dodge/roll.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Heliosicle posted:

Use the rebel shield.

That's not entirely true. If you run into a hexer that has a lot of experience with parrying and guard breaking, he can ruin your day as well as anyone else, shield or no shield. Also, hexes are currently only marginally more powerful than offensive miracles. Mostly that is due to the abyss seal. Considering dark damage requires essentially twice the stat investment as sorcery/faith, in order to get marginally superior damage stats (60 faith and 60 int get you about 185 dark damage vs ~175 lightning damage for 60 faith), any major nerf to it would make it not worth the stat investment. If you're getting hit by hexes, you need to learn how to roll. Alternatively, you can learn how to parry spells with the cleric shield, cleric parma, king's mirror, or whatever other spell-parrying shields there are. Or block with a shield that resists that element by 90-100%

Edit: 162 lightning damage at 60 faith. 185 dark damage at 60 faith AND 60 int (scales to whichever is the lowest stat). So yes, it's a 2x stat investment requirement for a 14% damage boost.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 8, 2014

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Crackbone posted:

People like the MLGS and it scales with int.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not talking about the ring, I'm talking about the repair powder.

Fair enough. Once you reach Dragon Shrine and/or Dark Pilgrim dungeons and/or Memory of Jeigh, you won't be running short on souls though. At that point, it becomes practical to just buy as many repair powders as you want from him.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ComaPrison posted:

That's not entirely true. If you run into a hexer that has a lot of experience with parrying and guard breaking, he can ruin your day as well as anyone else, shield or no shield. Also, hexes are currently only marginally more powerful than offensive miracles. Mostly that is due to the abyss seal. Considering dark damage requires essentially twice the stat investment as sorcery/faith, in order to get marginally superior damage stats (60 faith and 60 int get you about 185 dark damage vs ~175 lightning damage for 60 faith), any major nerf to it would make it not worth the stat investment. If you're getting hit by hexes, you need to learn how to roll. Alternatively, you can learn how to parry spells with the cleric shield, cleric parma, king's mirror, or whatever other spell-parrying shields there are. Or block with a shield that resists that element by 90-100%

On top of this, every Hex worth casting takes up 2 attunement slots minimum. Some take 3. Hexers tend to have less flex room in their spell loadout as a consequence.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Crackbone posted:

Something must be wrong. I use a staff in my left hand, magic imbued shortsword in my right hand. It does respectable damage even without a buff, and hits like a truck with great magic weapon.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Oblivious posted:

On top of this, every Hex worth casting takes up 2 attunement slots minimum. Some take 3. Hexers tend to have less flex room in their spell loadout as a consequence.

Affinity alone takes 3 attunement slots. It's a really large investment to effectively use hexes, so it's not an exaggeration to say that it's almost strictly an end-game build. Trying to use hexes early/mid game leads to lol damage that miracles and sorcery easily exceed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Magus42 posted:

They had other stuff like two handing staffs to create stronger versions of spells and poo poo too. Games change.

Binoculars work just fine. Don't see how you can complain.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ComaPrison posted:

Fair enough. Once you reach Dragon Shrine and/or Dark Pilgrim dungeons and/or Memory of Jeigh, you won't be running short on souls though. At that point, it becomes practical to just buy as many repair powders as you want from him.

That's the end of the game, it's not a very practical solution. You'd also have to kill more than one of the drake keepers even on ng+ to afford just one. They cost (I believe) 7500 souls, one drake keeper in ng+ will net you a little under 5000 with the silver serpent ring +2. You could farm the entire area into extinction and still not buy that many, and this assumes you aren't spending those souls on leveling/titanite which are generally a more worthwhile investment anyway. I'd use the ring but forgo grinding to afford a few repair powders, personally but to each their own.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's the end of the game, it's not a very practical solution. You'd also have to kill more than one of the drake keepers even on ng+ to afford just one. They cost (I believe) 7500 souls, one drake keeper in ng+ will net you a little under 5000 with the silver serpent ring +2. You could farm the entire area into extinction and still not buy that many, and this assumes you aren't spending those souls on leveling/titanite which are generally a more worthwhile investment anyway. I'd use the ring but forgo grinding to afford a few repair powders, personally but to each their own.

I've upgraded my fair share of gear and weapons that ended up being useless later in the game. You might want to consider just biting the bullet and ditching it, if the durability issue is really too much to get over.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

ComaPrison posted:

I meant more spells in general, not hexes specifically. Of course they can ruin your day if they are good and know how to do stuff other than hex you, but I was suggesting the Rebel Shield as a way to counteract people spamming spells at you all day. Of course there are other ways such as dodging, but I was getting caught by spells I had dodged due to lag and found the Rebel Shield to be a good way to stop deaths from that kind of thing.

I haven't bothered infusing it to a dark rebel shield for this reason - with 90 res to most things I can survive an attack from almost anything.

I'm sure there are better ways, but I've been going GRS+Resonant Weapon, Dark Longsword+10 and Rebel shield+5 and won the vast majority of fights.

I didn't mean to sound like it was the be-all end-all thing for PvP.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
My PVP build is hex-based and it's kind of a fun playstyle. I'm running a Dark Heide Knight Sword +10 in one hand and a Dark Sunset Staff +3(?) in the other. Hexes are Dark Orb x2, Dark Weapon, and Affinity. Dark Weapon immediately, cast Affinity, and the chloranthy ring +1 tends to restore my stamina before anyone can get close. Then the Heide Knight sword can do enough damage fast enough to take down their health by the time they get close.

Alternatively, run in and slash as quickly as possible with dark weapon if I don't have time for Affinity. Seems like not many people use the Heide Knight Sword and I can take most people down before my stamina depletes as long as I'm full going in. Am I the only one that uses that weapon?

Chunderstorm fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 8, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ComaPrison posted:

I've upgraded my fair share of gear and weapons that ended up being useless later in the game. You might want to consider just biting the bullet and ditching it, if the durability issue is really too much to get over.

I'm not the one that was having issues. :v: I'm trying to explain why your solution to that guy is impractical.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Heliosicle posted:

Use the rebel shield.

In addition to this, if the opponent is using the Moonlight Greatsword then use the Rebel Greatshield also because for some reason it seems to do no damage whatsoever to it. Even the special attack does just poo poo, it's hilarious.

Since the MLGS is the caster's choice of weapon due to it's INT scaling you'll find it to be the main weapon for a lot of 'em in the NG+ range.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fereydun posted:

In addition to this, if the opponent is using the Moonlight Greatsword then use the Rebel Greatshield also because for some reason it seems to do no damage whatsoever to it. Even the special attack does just poo poo, it's hilarious.

Since the MLGS is the caster's choice of weapon due to it's INT scaling you'll find it to be the main weapon for a lot of 'em in the NG+ range.

For additional giggles, you may wanna test if spell-parrying shields can reflect the MLGS special attack. It would be awesome to send it right back to his face.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Chunderstorm posted:

My PVP build is hex-based and it's kind of a fun playstyle. I'm running a Dark Heide Knight Sword +10 in one hand and a Dark Sunset Staff +3(?) in the other. Hexes are Dark Orb x2, Dark Weapon, and Affinity. Dark Weapon immediately, cast Affinity, and the chloranthy ring +1 tends to restore my stamina before anyone can get close. Then the Heide Knight sword can do enough damage fast enough to take down their health by the time they get close.

Alternatively, run in and slash as quickly as possible with dark weapon if I don't have time for Affinity. Seems like not many people use the Heide Knight Sword and I can take most people down before my stamina depletes as long as I'm full going in. Am I the only one that uses that weapon?

I used the heide knight sword a lot in early-game, but it quickly became overshadowed later on IMO

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I've never parried a mlgs shot but I have a few spells and it's easier to aim a reflection with force in DS1 than a spell parry in DS2.

(That is not very easy.)

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

smokin' buddha
angry tuna

ComaPrison posted:

I used the heide knight sword a lot in early-game, but it quickly became overshadowed later on IMO

I tried to keep my str/dex low, so it was the best weapon for me. Plus, I really like its attack patterns. What did you end up switching to, out of curiosity?

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I've never parried a mlgs shot but I have a few spells and it's easier to aim a reflection with force in DS1 than a spell parry in DS2.

(That is not very easy.)

Did you attempt it with low agility? It's possible spell parry benefits from agi in the same way that regular parries do. If that's the case, you might want to hit the 110 agi soft cap before trying to do spell parries in PvP.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Chunderstorm posted:

I tried to keep my str/dex low, so it was the best weapon for me. Plus, I really like its attack patterns. What did you end up switching to, out of curiosity?

I was/am in the same boat. I ended up switching to a +10 rapier. It's pretty effective up until late-game NG. It became useless in NG+ (still NG for me but bonfire asceticed) so I ditched weapons entirely. It becomes impractical without the benefit of high dex or str scaling. Can heide knight sword be infused with a boltstone? If so, it might still be practical if you have high faith and can get it to scale as such. Boltstone infused defender great sword also scales with faith to S-rank (with upgrades I believe), has a built in lightning weapon self-enchant move, and has a low stat req (20 str and 12 dex iirc)

If you need an int scaling weapon, try Blue Flame or MLGS.

edit: If you need to scale with faith, go for max upgraded lightning infused defender greatsword. It's probably your best choice. If you need to scale with int, MLGS. MLGS is easy to counter with a variety of shields, so learn to guard break and parry really well.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 8, 2014

baroqueasfuk
Jul 9, 2007
baroque as fuk

Fereydun posted:

the uninfused mlgs does no physical dmg at all, only magic. so for a shield like rebel's with 90% magic reduction to begin with even ignoring that you can block 100% with magic infusion its real bad versus it

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

Yodzilla posted:

Oh yeah sure I guess I meant to say "how could a programmer think that was a good idea."

Writing code for a console with absolutes for hardware, framerate, and control scheme makes you a lazy programmer.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

smokin' buddha
angry tuna

ComaPrison posted:

I was/am in the same boat. I ended up switching to a +10 rapier. It's pretty effective up until late-game NG. It became useless in NG+ (still NG for me but bonfire asceticed) so I ditched weapons entirely. It becomes impractical without the benefit of high dex or str scaling. Can heide knight sword be infused with a boltstone? If so, it might still be practical if you have high faith and can get it to scale as such. Boltstone infused defender great sword also scales with faith to S-rank (with upgrades I believe), has a built in lightning weapon self-enchant move, and has a low stat req (20 str and 12 dex iirc)

I didn't even know Blue Flame existed; I'll have to farm for one. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

ComaPrison posted:

Just to point out you've made 15 posts on this page alone, try editing your posts with extra quotes if you're replying to multiple people.

Also I need a new straight sword, the dark longsword is great but it just doesn't do enough damage sometimes, meaning I'll get 7 or 8 hits on someone and die to 2.