Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Maarek posted:

I'm sure Shireen is just living off on a farm where she can run and play with Syrio and The Hound, right guys???

I'm waiting for Force Ghost Shireen to show up and strangle Ramsay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

It would make more sense and be better writing for Stannis to burn himself alive to break the storm after ordering Davos to lead the army to victory and place Shireen on the Iron Throne.

In the prophesy the hero kills the person he loves the most, not himself. The theme is sacrificing things you care about, not self-sacrifice. In the context of a fantasy story self-sacrifice is 'easy' and noble, while doing something horrible to a helpless person that you care about is much more difficult.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Unfortunate that burning Mance seems to have produced gently caress-all in terms of blood magic. Or do non-Iron Throne kingsblood-havers not count or something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That kinda makes sense. Mel gives Stannis the story of Nyssa Nyssa and how you must sacrifice what you hold most dear to save everyone else. Though hopefully the writers are decent enough to actually have Stannis wracked with guilt over the action. Maybe when Brienne brings Sansa and Theon to him after going all Lancelot on the Boltons he breaks down and demands her kill him for the terrible things he's done. The whole will break before he bends thing.

You know who I miss from the books? The sassy Lannisters Aunt, Gemma. I love her talking to Jamie going "no, Tyrion was Tywin's true son, thats why they hated each other" and completely shutting down her terrible Frey husband.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Unfortunate that burning Mance seems to have produced gently caress-all in terms of blood magic. Or do non-Iron Throne kingsblood-havers not count or something.

kingsblood is bullshit it doesnt do anything

Melisandre is a fraud

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I'm still holding out hope that they'll reveal the switcheroo with some random Wilding. It's a shame Tormund's basically the only named or interesting one left in the show, since I wouldn't want him to have been switcheroo'd.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Jon shot him with an arrow and hosed it all up good job Jon.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mance doesn't serve any strong purpose in the books after the switcheroo, him actually dying is the better ending. It's not like he'll ever be king of the wildlings again.

twistedmentat posted:

That kinda makes sense. Mel gives Stannis the story of Nyssa Nyssa and how you must sacrifice what you hold most dear to save everyone else. Though hopefully the writers are decent enough to actually have Stannis wracked with guilt over the action. Maybe when Brienne brings Sansa and Theon to him after going all Lancelot on the Boltons he breaks down and demands her kill him for the terrible things he's done. The whole will break before he bends thing.

You know who I miss from the books? The sassy Lannisters Aunt, Gemma. I love her talking to Jamie going "no, Tyrion was Tywin's true son, thats why they hated each other" and completely shutting down her terrible Frey husband.

We'll have to wait and see, but since Melisandre proposed burning Shireen already and Stannis barked at her to get out they'll probably sidle up to it. I hope they have Melisandre tell the story but the show's avoided most of the heavy lore stuff so they might not want to talk about Azor Ahai.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Steve2911 posted:

I'm still holding out hope that they'll reveal the switcheroo with some random Wilding. It's a shame Tormund's basically the only named or interesting one left in the show, since I wouldn't want him to have been switcheroo'd.

Tormund needs to become more like he is in the books. Not one single utterance about his member all season! And they should have had Wildling Xena survive.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I like how Ramsay loving up the camp has basically unleashed the power of the red god, which is going to help Stannis win the battle. Stupid Ramsay.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

El Hefe posted:

kingsblood is bullshit it doesnt do anything

Melisandre is a fraud

Kingsblood can't melt castle walls

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
ROOSE CHANGE, Harrenhall was an inside job.

twistedmentat posted:

I enjoy how catty she still is about the Reynes 20+ years later.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

twistedmentat posted:

Tormund needs to become more like he is in the books. Not one single utterance about his member all season! And they should have had Wildling Xena survive.

gently caress it, Olly is actually Mance. His complaining about Wildlings was all a ruse to keep his cover. Jon shot the real Olly.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
So Mance shot Ygritte? Makes sense

More sense than a potato boy doing it

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Jon is Jesus Christ reborn because he sacrificed the pretty Irish Lady who was his one true love, so true love he rejects sex for all time because he needs to fight ice satan and actually killed an ice grandpa because of that and this loser just burned his daughter to stop a storm so his dudes could walk faster.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Dapper Dan posted:

Jon is Jesus Christ reborn because he sacrificed the pretty Irish Lady who was his one true love, so true love he rejects sex for all time because he needs to fight ice satan and actually killed an ice grandpa because of that and this loser just burned his daughter to stop a storm so his dudes could walk faster.

Ollie killed her and he's going to kill Jon and become the Lord Commander and lead the Night's Watch to certain victory.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

my bony fealty posted:

Kingsblood can't melt castle walls

Can we get this for a thread title for next season?

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dolash posted:

Sure, but then Stannis comes off as blameless. In order to "do the right thing" for Melisandre to betray, he has to make hard, terrible choices that go beyond just fighting for the throne. The injustice is shallow if the worst prices he paid were not paid willingly. Otherwise it might be Melisandre dumping Stannis because he apparently isn't strong-willed enough to be Azor Ahai (I like that parallel).

They've set this up before. Remember right after the Blackwater, when Stannis is ranting in his strategy room and ready to murder Melisandre, he becomes wracked with guilt about murdering Renly. This is the culmination of that scenario - he's done an awful thing in the name of duty, only for destiny to turn away from him, forcing him to accept responsibility for the awful thing. To my mind that's a much, much stronger motivation for his descent into villainy.

I think people may have had a little too long to work up their own read on Stannis's character and where his arc's "supposed" to go, something which A Song of Ice and Fire subverts quite frequently. This may be just the first big instance we'll see as the series ends where the years-long speculation about what characters are going to do gets upended.

stannis is exactly like benedict arnold in real life where he's mega unlucky and repeatedly slighted by everyone who knows him despite his own sacrifices so he turns traitor

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah Gemma is awesome I'm glad she isn't in the show cause D&D would have had her double rape murdered on account of her being cool and harmless.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it's really annoying that so much poo poo is leaking but not just the episode as a whole

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A Major Fucker posted:

it's really annoying that so much poo poo is leaking but not just the episode as a whole

It's funny to think that whatever the actual ending to the series is, it'll probably be leaked in a similar way.

People who've waited years to see the end of the books won't even see the ending on TV, they'll see an incomplete clip of someone filming it off their computer.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
This season was kinda lovely.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
It's as if people are...burning the show.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It sure led to alot of flaming in this thread

Only by one person though. The Stannis of TVIV

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Nouvelle Vague posted:

This season was kinda lovely.

the only good season was the first one

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

It sure led to alot of flaming in this thread

Only by one person though. The Stannis of TVIV

Everyone who reads it and thinks you're talking about them are the Rhaegar's of TVIV

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

White Walkers. Tyrion. Daenerys. All four holding hands and skipping on top of everyone else's dead corpse.

This is my ending to the series because nobody in-show, creating it, or watching it deserves anything better. Bonus if Jon never comes back from the stabbing.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Holding hands you say?

Drogon coming in

Drogon starting poo poo

Jaqen

Jaime

Ehhhh

They even removed Hizdahr's dragonslaying fetish. He is the most moral character in Essos

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 7, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

quote:

Jaime

Ehhhh

Yeah, with the Stannis fuss, we glossed over Dorne. Doran is sending Trystane and Myrcella to King's Landing. Why? Why give up your hostage and place your heir in unnecessary danger?

This how does not understand the value of heirs.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

such a stupid scene

the harpies have Dany surrounded in the middle of an arena and no one thought to bring some archers

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

In It For The Tank posted:

Yeah, with the Stannis fuss, we glossed over Dorne. Doran is sending Trystane and Myrcella to King's Landing. Why? Why give up your hostage and place your heir in unnecessary danger?

everything can now be answered with this:

the show writers are retarded

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Also trained super soldiers in a ring with pikes getting owned by clowns with knives.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Let's not start saying Trystane going to King's Landing makes no sense before we even see the scene. Doran may have some plan in mind, and it's not the first time he's sent his family members off on dangerous tasks.

And they didn't seem to need archers for Dany, if Drogon hadn't shown up. We haven't seen how the scene plays out yet but knives and masks are a whole lot easier to smuggle around the city and into the arena than bows and quivers would be.

I'm curious to see if Drogon turns on Dany's retinue at some point and starts attacking the Unsullied, she still has to try and tame him.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

InFlames235 posted:

Ollie killed her and he's going to kill Jon and become the Lord Commander and lead the Night's Watch to certain victory.

Potato child will put longclaw on his bow and will 360 NOSCOPE the Night King. Then he'll sit on the iron thrown and potatoes for everyone

But I seriously don't care about the politiking anymore. Like, at all. I don't care about Tyrion or Dany or Arya or Stennis the Menace or Ramsay 'I should have a mustache to twirl' Bolton or Breinne or Cersie the Retard or Crazy Redheaded Witch. There are loving ice liches and ice grandpas with a million clones of skeletor ready to gently caress poo poo up and like five super cool swords to murder them with and lovely primitive obsidian to do stabby stabby. This is why GURPS didn't use them all that much, because he knew once he did something cool with them nobody would care about Medieval House of Cards anymore. They'd want 'why aren't we seeing more ice grandpas who can murder everyone. This is more important than some stupid communist making a retarded person who actually gave him power do a slutwalk.'

El Hefe posted:

everything can now be answered with this:

the show writers are retarded

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

In It For The Tank posted:

we had to have some progress from that plotline

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
gently caress it, burn the girl. Have Stannis shove the torch into the burn pit then walk away expressionless while throw up his hands in a "gently caress it all" gesture then slaughter everyone in Winterfell, including Sansa, Theon, and Brienne who comes there to kill him but gets owned instead. Pod can become his new squire.

Mel can cast a fire spell to burst Sansa into flames like she did to that warg eagle in the books.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

So Dany sees ~~Daario~~ get stabbed and has no reaction whatsoever

Subtle trolling Clarke, very subtle

Wait I can't even tell if that's him getting stabbed from all the quick cuts, weird choice to just grab someone's hands and close your eyes if it wasn't

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 7, 2015

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Yeah remember how Azor Ahai sacrificed a beloved family member as part of his fight against the Long Night. Almost as if he would give up literally anything and anyone to achieve his goals. Sorry your Stannis the Mannis fantasies are shattered

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The CG dragon is by far doing the best acting in both of these scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Ramsay needs another victory so he will probably flay a main character, most likely Pod. It'll be sad and poo poo.

• Locked thread