Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

You've either suffered severe head trauma, have a latent mental illness, are purposefully being so disingenuous it's impossible to distinguish from sincerity and think you're really owning people, or you're so stupid you would have gotten your rear end kicked every day in high school for pulling your pants down at the urinal if you hadn't been homeschooled.

LOL, wow, you're really undermining my case there, tough guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Starman
Nov 22, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

it became the strongest field as soon as Trump entered

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

User posted:

Enjoy your remaining months of denial. Try not to get stuck in the anger or depression phases too long, it's unhealthy!

...so does Trump have a plan to win anyone aside from white men, or are you just conceding that he's doing terribly among every demographic that's not his immediate base?

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Subvisual Haze posted:

There were some pretty great polls released last year on perceptions of political correctness in America.

That sure is a lot of people who just really really want to say the n-word!

If there's broad bipartisan agreement that Political Correctness is a "big problem" in America, then it's time for Congress to act and outlaw it.

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
Jewel, like myself, 538 and Joementum until a few hours ago, still refuses to believe that we transferred over into the Yuge and Luxurious dimension sometime in Summer 2015 when Trump rode down that escalator, and that Rubio will still somehow be the GOPe puppet in a Clinton snoozefest. Reality will be restored.

I'm sure Trump lifting Rubio's head when he wins in Florida, and the de facto nomination, in two weeks will snap me into our current reality: an angry yelling orange man is one ISIS attack away from having the most prestigious title in the world.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Cruz, Rubio, and Christie were well hated by their own party. Find me any analogies like this for the 08 or 12 primary field. Even Huckabee and Tancredo were well liked and looked more presidential than these three who are major candidates this go around. Perry AND Christie were facing indictments going into the race. Their #1 used to be a blue dog dem ffs.

When this whole thing started Talk Radio and the right-wing media were over the moon with the 'strength and depth' of this field. if you put on your Republican cap and look at these guys on paper some of them looked really strong:

Walker is a sitting governor who is a conservative icon after tangling with the Unions in Wisconsin and beating the recall.
Jeb was a popular governor and a Bush(with all the positive and negative that name brings with it)
Jindal is a sitting governor and a Christian-Conservative favorite.
Kasich is a sitting governor and worked in the REAGAN administration.
Christie should have ran in 2012.

Cruz was/is a freeper/tea-party/lunatic fringe hero.
Rubio outside of the gang 8, he was seen as a true conservative and a fresh young ethnic guy that could be a great VP choice.

Now look at them.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Trump made everyone look like fools. Between that and a hosed up nomination proccess, the quality of the canidates didn't matter.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Well who the gently caress knows what will happen in the general, but if Hillary can turn out the Obama coalition she probably wins.

To be honest, Republicans spent way more time attacking each other than Trump because they all assumed being the last guy standing vs Trump would mean they won. When they did attack him it was for being too liberal. The general is a different game entirely! But j won't pretend to know anything

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

User posted:

Have you heard of a man called Donald Trump?
What is he going to do about it?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Despera posted:

Trump made everyone look like fools. Between that and a hosed up nomination proccess, the quality of the canidates didn't matter.

That's a contradictory narrative you're spinning there. Either Trump was facing a weak field, or he was facing a strong one.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Montasque posted:

When this whole thing started Talk Radio and the right-wing media were over the moon with the 'strength and depth' of this field. if you put on your Republican cap and look at these guys on paper some of them looked really strong:

Walker is a sitting governor who is a conservative icon after tangling with the Unions in Wisconsin and beating the recall.
Jeb was a popular governor and a Bush(with all the positive and negative that name brings with it)

Rubio outside of the gang 8, he was seen as a true conservative and a fresh young ethnic guy that could be a great VP choice.

Now look at them.

This is all looking at it from a champion for conservatives instead of what can actually win with america though. I think that's the real disconnect this argument has is that you can look at it either way and draw vastly different conclusions.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What is he going to do about it?

Someone's not paying attention.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Just by sheer probability 18 chances at a quality canidate beat 4

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

If there's broad bipartisan agreement that Political Correctness is a "big problem" in America, then it's time for Congress to act and outlaw it.

I think conservatives need to realize that liberals have been showing a lot of "politically correct" restraint from the way we talk about conservatives in campaigns and public appearances. I think there's going to be less of that this general election, and it's going to be hilarious to see Trump supporters whiiiiining like stuck pigs about how mean liberals are treating them.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
So, Ted Cruz is the zodiac killer, correct?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Despera posted:

Just by sheer probability 18 chances at a quality canidate beat 4

A lot of their wounds were self-inflicted. I already explained Walker's, Jeb's, and Kasich's. Do I need to explain Christie's or Fiorina's?

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

A significant portion of the Florida electorate believes so, so it must have some truth to it.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

This is all looking at it from a champion for conservatives instead of what can actually win with america though. I think that's the real disconnect this argument has is that you can look at it either way and draw vastly different conclusions.

We're in the Republican Primary - that's how these people look at it, that's the context. They legitimately thought this slate of candidates was incredible... That's what they thought.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

washington post put out an article debunking it

so he definitely is

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Montasque posted:

We're in the Republican Primary - that's how these people look at it, that's the context. They legitimately thought this slate of candidates was incredible... That's what they thought.

Oh I get that I just don't understand why anyone itt would still believe that. Freepers and pundits sure but that's always a foregone conclusion

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Majorian posted:

I think conservatives need to realize that liberals have been showing a lot of "politically correct" restraint from the way we talk about conservatives in campaigns and public appearances. I think there's going to be less of that this general election, and it's going to be hilarious to see Trump supporters whiiiiining like stuck pigs about how mean liberals are treating them.

They'll whine and whine and keep on whining until they win.

Montasque posted:

You've managed to be double wrong. First, who is this they you're talking about? Your liberal friends projecting on conservatives? And second, it is incredible, because as has already been mentioned Trump is in it, and he is quite literally an incredible candidate.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Also there were representatives from a "motorcycle rights group" there, whatever that means.

We don't wanna have to wear hemmits :bahgawd:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

User posted:

I think it's pretty unlikely that Trump appeals to any major general election demographics outside of uneducated poor whites. And then when they lose, the long knives are going to come out between Republican voters.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A strong candidate in a strong field.

Also this needs to be a smiley that says "please clap."

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Majorian posted:

A lot of their wounds were self-inflicted. I already explained Walker's, Jeb's, and Kasich's. Do I need to explain Christie's

Just because they hosed up, doesn't make them a bad canidate. Not to mention a lot of people put money on non trump canidates. So they either like to burn money or actually thought their canidate wasnt poo poo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If it's anything like a Bicyclist's Right Group it's just a bunch of them whining about getting honked at after they flagrantly violate 90% of all traffic laws because they think they're special loving snowflakes

They could do some good but in my experience they only exist in communities that have expansive cyclist access anyway.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Despera posted:

Just because they hosed up, doesn't make them a bad canidate.

Certainly not. But the fact that they hosed up horribly, and were too inept to find a way to get around those self-inflicted wounds? That's what made them bad candidates.

quote:

Not to mention a lot of people put money on non trump canidates. So they either like to burn money or actually thought their canidate wasnt poo poo.

They definitely thought their candidates weren't poo poo. They were wrong, and also not very smart.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i think this field looked really strong on paper and then Rubio and Jeb opened their mouths and you realized they were a robot and a tortoise respectively

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Dangit, Marco!

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

I think it's pretty unlikely that Trump appeals to any major general election demographics outside of uneducated poor whites. And then when they lose, the long knives are going to come out between Republican voters.

You are such a dummy!

Get out!

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Majorian posted:

Have you considered becoming a pundit? You seem fully qualified!

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

User posted:

You've managed to be double wrong. First, who is this they you're talking about? Your liberal friends projecting on conservatives? And second, it is incredible, because as has already been mentioned Trump is in it, and he is quite literally an incredible candidate.

Rush, Hannity, Levin, Freepers, Red State, National Review, ect... All thought this was the strongest Republican slate of candidates in generations. Talk to them about liberal projections.

Oh I get that I just don't understand why anyone itt would still believe that. Freepers and pundits sure but that's always a foregone conclusion

It's obvious they weren't and that's what makes it double hilarious. They're all poo poo, except Trump, he's actually really good at this.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Majorian posted:

I think it's pretty unlikely that Trump appeals to any major general election demographics outside of uneducated poor whites.

Trump has been winning Evangelicals (23% of the 2012 electorate) and Catholics (25%) in the primaries, and there's no reason to believe that Hillary would do better with these groups. His current talking point that the IRS is persecuting him for his beliefs will probably bolster his support even further.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Montasque posted:

Now look at them.

Sure, they all looked good on paper

How many of them were 100% true and serious in their commitment behind securing the motherfucking border and driving up American wages by driving out illegal wageslaves?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

User posted:

Have you considered becoming a pundit? You seem fully qualified!

No, see, I don't try to generalize the results of the Republican primary, to the general election itself. That's what pundits do.;)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Trump has been winning Evangelicals (23% of the 2012 electorate) and Catholics (25%) in the primaries, and there's no reason to believe that Hillary would do better with these groups. His current talking point that the IRS is persecuting him for his beliefs will probably bolster his support even further.

Those groups were never really up for grabs though. Trump winning them becomes a big old "so what" once the general comes up because they are GOP 4 lyfe

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Montasque posted:

Rush, Hannity, Levin, Freepers, Red State, National Review, ect... All thought this was the strongest Republican slate of candidates in generations. Talk to them about liberal projections.

Shills always be shilling.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The outcome doesnt change the fact that many many people thought this was the best field in x many years. Its easy to go back and say you shoulda seen Trump coming all along.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Epic High Five posted:

Those groups were never really up for grabs though. Trump winning them becomes a big old "so what" once the general comes up because they are GOP 4 lyfe

Obama won the Catholic vote over McCain and Romney (for obvious reasons), so Trump's strong support in that camp might make a big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Imagine if someone said this but replaced "whites" with "blacks"

You are a racist.

• Locked thread