Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't he crush Hall to "prove" he was worthy to face Hogan the week before (because apparently a hundred match winning streak doesn't cut it)? I swear that happened.

That was the same night.

Also this Wednesday Night is the Georgia Dome Nitro with Hogan vs Goldberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

That was the same night.

poo poo, my memory has failed me.

But I'll be there Wednesday.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Not having the chase wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't gently caress up later. I will always pine for a world where Goldberg systematically destroys the NWO for months on his way to get the title back from Hogan and Nash in 1999. Everyone hates the cattle prod and Nash ending the streak but it would have been an ok first part to a story they never ended up bothering to tell.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

That was the same night.

:mad: I'm going to be in Philly watching NJPW, damnit.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

We've just reached the Tonight Show stuff during Wednesday Nitro, I have been dreading these.

What time does the broadcast start and what timezone are you in? I started watching the week where the crazy satanist documentary was aired.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

What time does the broadcast start and what timezone are you in? I started watching the week where the crazy satanist documentary was aired.

8 PM Eastern.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Awesome. Also just got to this dark/great day in the Death of WCW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRDi2lK6b-s
I don't think I've mentioned before how much I love the ripoff versions of popular songs that play for wrestling entrances.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Not having the chase wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't gently caress up later. I will always pine for a world where Goldberg systematically destroys the NWO for months on his way to get the title back from Hogan and Nash in 1999. Everyone hates the cattle prod and Nash ending the streak but it would have been an ok first part to a story they never ended up bothering to tell.

This. Nash beating the streak, and the fingerpoke of doom are stupid. and in reality led to much stupidity, but it would have been cool to see a pissed off Goldberg chase the title, whilst the nWo threw obstacles in his way culminating in Goldberg winning the title back to insane pops.

Of course, it being WCW they did try to put Goldberg in a chase in that stupid thing he had with Sid where he had to recreate the 178(?) in a row to keep his job or something.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BrigadierSensible posted:

This. Nash beating the streak, and the fingerpoke of doom are stupid. and in reality led to much stupidity, but it would have been cool to see a pissed off Goldberg chase the title, whilst the nWo threw obstacles in his way culminating in Goldberg winning the title back to insane pops.

Of course, it being WCW they did try to put Goldberg in a chase in that stupid thing he had with Sid where he had to recreate the 178(?) in a row to keep his job or something.

There might have some been longevity to the angle if Hall, Hogan, or Steiner didn't get injured in the early part of '99.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

At that point the NWO had enough members that Goldberg could have easily recreated his streak just by going through them individually.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Grendels Dad posted:

At that point the NWO had enough members that Goldberg could have easily recreated his streak just by going through them individually.

Nah, they actually shrunk it down after Hogan got the title back. Then all the important pieces left or got injured.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

There might have some been longevity to the angle if Hall, Hogan, or Steiner didn't get injured in the early part of '99.

To be fair, it looks like they actually were planning to do this. Goldberg took out Hall in January and Bam Bam in February, and was poised to feud with Hogan and Nash... but then Hogan and Flair double-turned at Uncensored while Goldbert didn't appear on the PPV. Then they put the belt on DDP who turned heel. WCW 1999 was a poo poo-show.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Awesome. Also just got to this dark/great day in the Death of WCW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRDi2lK6b-s
I don't think I've mentioned before how much I love the ripoff versions of popular songs that play for wrestling entrances.

What's the story behind this? Green as gently caress guy who they can't decide if he's arrogant(taunting the crowd) or mysterious (mask/dark entrance).

Power plant guy who botched his debut enough WCW didn't want him?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For starters, "The Machine" is a character they copied directly from 8mm, starring Nicolas Cage. In the film, The Machine is a bodybuilder who was paid to drug, rape, and murder a teenage girl. I have no idea why they thought this was an appropriate wrestling character; I'm guessing Russo had a hand in it.

The wrestler in question was Emory Hail. He was a Power Plant guy who got a mini-push with Jimmy Hart as his manager, but he just fell by the wayside, got repackaged as The Machine, and dropped out of sight when that didn't work out. He had a lot of health problems and died about 9 years ago.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So who came up with The Shockmaster and why did they think it would be a good idea?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

For starters, "The Machine" is a character they copied directly from 8mm, starring Nicolas Cage. In the film, The Machine is a bodybuilder who was paid to drug, rape, and murder a teenage girl. I have no idea why they thought this was an appropriate wrestling character; I'm guessing Russo had a hand in it.

The wrestler in question was Emory Hail. He was a Power Plant guy who got a mini-push with Jimmy Hart as his manager, but he just fell by the wayside, got repackaged as The Machine, and dropped out of sight when that didn't work out. He had a lot of health problems and died about 9 years ago.
Machine was pre-Russo

Benne posted:

So who came up with The Shockmaster and why did they think it would be a good idea?
Dusty

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Benne posted:

Dusty Rhodes and cocaine.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

oatgan posted:

Machine was pre-Russo

Dusty

It was actually post-Russo firing, I think. February 2000.

And yeah, Hail pops up a few times as a jobber before that, most notably in the fingerpoke Nitro where Booker beats him in about a minute. I remember he had his own entrance made for Saturday Night or something, and seemed like he was a Jimmy Hart project, but then he disappeared again.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Copying characters from the blockbuster hit, 8MM.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Copying characters from the blockbuster hit, 8MM.

Bischoff/WCW's desperation to glom onto any possible aspect of Hollywood is endlessly fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1DHgdVKeE

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Bischoff/WCW's desperation to glom onto any possible aspect of Hollywood is endlessly fascinating.

Rick Steiner's jacket saves this segment

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

The quarter for this segment beat WWF.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
What was raw doing? And lets be honest, how could you turn this poo poo off. It's so bizarre you have to see how it ends.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Dont forget that sid was doing his own win streak angle to parody goldberg's during this fued.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The American Dream posted:

What was raw doing? And lets be honest, how could you turn this poo poo off. It's so bizarre you have to see how it ends.

post WMXV, we started watching more WCW just because it went completely bugfuck bonkers. Also, Indiana refused to bow to the DST overlords so during the fall we'd be able to watch the first two hours of WCW before switching over to RAW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Goldberg vs Hogan was as magical as I remember.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You might say that Goldberg...crushed Hogan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-pGj3uqxIo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

You might say that Goldberg...crushed Hogan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-pGj3uqxIo

Somehow that was worse than I remembered it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

So I watched this and even though I have a good idea of what everyone was doing at the time, it's still confusing as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C3N32iMKME

So a face Hollywood Hogan is matching with Sid, then heel Nash shows up to beat up Hogan (didn't he gift Hogan the belt...?), Sting of course helps Hogan (???) then heel Rick Steiner of all people beats up Sting, then the audience is confused when Goldberg shows up to a lovely song in a lovely Nitro set with no large monitors

:psyduck:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

So I watched this and even though I have a good idea of what everyone was doing at the time, it's still confusing as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C3N32iMKME

So a face Hollywood Hogan is matching with Sid, then heel Nash shows up to beat up Hogan (didn't he gift Hogan the belt...?), Sting of course helps Hogan (???) then heel Rick Steiner of all people beats up Sting, then the audience is confused when Goldberg shows up to a lovely song in a lovely Nitro set with no large monitors

:psyduck:

The summer of '99 is the worst period in WCW history because it's so boring and confusing everyone forgets it exists and just remembers the Russo stuff that came after.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

If they had waited until Starrcade, would Hogan have done the clean job like that on PPV? Goldberg was closer to Hogan's idea of "on his level" than 97 Sting.

MassRafTer posted:

The summer of '99 is the worst period in WCW history because it's so boring and confusing everyone forgets it exists and just remembers the Russo stuff that came after.

I understand Carmen Electra drove a hummer?

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

I understand Carmen Electra :airquote: drove :airquote: a hummer?

But in all seriousness, I could see that joke being Russo's logic for that swerve.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

If they had waited until Starrcade, would Hogan have done the clean job like that on PPV?

No way brother.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Dave answered both our WCW questions :toot:

Why wasn't Buffer used for Hogan/Goldberg? No idea.

Why did WCW give low attendance numbers on TV? No idea, but they did it all the time :wcw:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm not usually a details guy, but I love how much fail was under the hood in the Goldberg/Hogan match.

~No Buffer. They had Buffer the week before where he gave Glacier the Buffer treatment, but during one of the biggest free TV matches WCW had ever done? Nope.
~Schiavone totally failing to catch that Hogan had hit Goldberg with his finisher, this is bad when your finisher is a legdrop and you need the announce booth to sell it.
~Hogan hitting Goldberg with a second legdrop and Schiavone continuing on whatever tangent he's on completely oblivious to the fact that 'THE BIGGEST ICON IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT' has just hit Goldberg with two consecutive finishers, which by wrestling logic should have killed him.
~The horrible timing of the run-ins. The camera had to focus on Karl Malone and DDP foiling the nWo's interference (despite the fact that Hogan had just hit Goldberg with two consecutive finishers and had no need for interference at that point in the match) and missed the pin attempt. We only saw Goldberg kicking out. We don't even even know how close the count was (given Goldberg, he might have kicked out at 1). Also, the camera was off the action in the ring long enough that Hogan could have hit a third legdrop, which by wrestling logic, should be banned by the United Nations.

Truly the greatest night in the history of our sport.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hogan DID hit a third legdrop. You can hear the bump from it when the camera is focusing on Malone and Hennig.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I loving love that Chucky and Robocop are a part of the WCW Universe.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

The Nash vs. Hogan retirement angle was bad and funny

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The lesson of WCW's demise seem to be "for gods sake you need to have somebody in charge", "things need to make sense and matter" "don't ever let anyone write creative control into their contract" and "don't let wrestlers who are actively wrestling in a promotion handle booking too"

VVV That was really unfortunate that 15 years after the Monday Night Wars ended, Vince still has to bury WCW at every opportunity. Also it would have been the best to have Robocop come out to defend Sting against HHH's Terminator army.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Sting jobbed to Triple H in 2015 so dumb things happen all the time, pretty sure dumb luck and inertia was what fueled WCW's rise and fall.