Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Winks posted:

I could have sworn one of the interviews said something about a New Game+ sort of situation where you restart with your level and power after you finish the game successfully or not, but I can't find it. Maybe I imagined the it.

If this is true, then this may be the first Final Fantasy game I buy this generation. A dungeon crawler with Dead Rising mechanics in it sounds loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Winks posted:

Oh my gosh it does.

http://www.blogiswar.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Lightning-Returns-Cloud-01.jpg

They've got my preorder. Congrats Square.

That says nothing about the shrug.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Winks posted:

Oh my gosh it does.

http://www.blogiswar.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Lightning-Returns-Cloud-01.jpg

They've got my preorder. Congrats Square.

Although I'm not a big fan of FFVII in any particular way, the fanfare theme is aces.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ugh I'm such a FF7 fanboy I might preorder Lighting's Day Out for the Cloud outfit.

Lets get some reverse DLC as well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elec posted:

More 12 IZJS questions, sorry:
I am following a guide that at this point is taking me to a place to get good treasures well before I am supposed to be there, I gather (Mosphoran). I have just received the first summon and everyone is at level 21. (Aaaaalmost took out Earth Tyrant, but will come back when stronger.) It's kind of hard running back and forth trying to get good treasure to spawn while I barely scrape by fire wolves and Funbabas. Is this an okay place to level up if I'm patient, or if any, is there a decent place at this point in the story to level up so I can snag some sweet treasure?

I THINK I'm enjoying myself but who thought treasure spawns/etc was a good idea?? If I was playing through blind I would have missed so much stuff, even already.

The stuff in Mosphoran is way, way above your expected level for that point in the game, so it's not a huge loss if you can't get it. You can get some good loot in the two northern zones of the Estersand, and the mobs should be a little more manageable.

I think the way it's designed is fine, since the loot in urns will usually either just save you money or give you a distinct advantage over the game. If you were playing blind you could easily do it with store-bought equipment.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Has anyone else been to the new Square Enix cafe? Artnia or whatever? Here's the secret: it's in the middle of nowhere in some uppity development and is really lovely. They don't even have most of the old classic play arts figurines, just some stupid empty exhibit room that looks like it could have been way cooler but they forgot the centrepiece. . I did get some Chocobo cookies though. I feel like I really missed out by not seeing the old store with the Sephiroth statue.

I went a week and a half ago and thought the food was pretty great. My friend and I shared some Moogle-stamped pancakes and the parfait with a chocolate replica of the Buster sword, which is loving delicious. They don't skimp on the alcohol in the cocktails, either. I highly recommend the Ifrit.

I bought a few things and a KH Wayfinder necklace which is pretty as hell. I wish I could have bought some FF jewelry as well but it's not cheap.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

The Wiki is missing a part that a major questline in FFXIII-3 is taking 140 college credit hours in order to get a degree in Final Fantasy so you don't have too many free hours to work with.

I will write my term paper on how the Cloud outfit for Lightning makes sense because Lightning both symbolically and in some readings of the series descends from Cloud because FF7 and FF13 are the same world and Etro is Aeris in the lifestream and I can't do this anymore and am going to go shoot myself now for even thinking this would be a funny joke, because there is no doubt someone out there who legitimately believes all of that.

I never even played FF7 for more than like 1 hour.

13-3 looks great and I cannot wait until it comes out.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Some Lightning Returns plot speculation:

Based on some new screenshots, we learn that Hope/Lightning/Bhunivelze create a world tree that will survive the apocalypse, mirroring Ragnarok and the creation of Yggdrassil in Norse myth (also works since the Norse themes surrounding Lightning's character couldn't be more obvious after the "valkyrie" outfit last game). She has to collect "Eradia" to help the world tree survive, which she collects from slain monsters, and... people? It's not fully known yet.

The tree itself is being grown in Cocoon 2.0, inside the 13th Ark mentioned in XIII-2 as the place where heroes, preparing for the battle that must be fought, will gather.

The screenshots show a young Hope, in his XIII outfit. He could either be a hologram, somehow an age-regressed Hope again, an illusion of Bhunivelze to manipulate Lightning, or it's secretly Lindzei, who is said to be a deceiver/serpent. The last one has a lot of credence because the mark on the computer seen behind young Hope is the mark of Lindzei.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The ending of Final Fantasy XIII is Lightning dying, but from her death are formed three new Valkyries. The entire thing was just a Valkyrie Profile prequel. That is why S-E got the Tri-Ace guys to work on FFXIII-2.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Azure_Horizon posted:

Some Lightning Returns plot speculation:

The screenshots show a young Hope, in his XIII outfit. He could either be a hologram, somehow an age-regressed Hope again, an illusion of Bhunivelze to manipulate Lightning, or it's secretly Lindzei, who is said to be a deceiver/serpent. The last one has a lot of credence because the mark on the computer seen behind young Hope is the mark of Lindzei.

Man, if we don't get to interact with Captain Science Hope, I'm gonna be furious. He was one of the highlights of XIII-2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

Man, if we don't get to interact with Captain Science Hope, I'm gonna be furious. He was one of the highlights of XIII-2.

They've already confirmed he functions as Lightning's operator/radio guy in the game.

Also he looks like a little kid again for some reason but is apparently supposed to still be the regular one. His outfit isn't exactly the same as his FFXIII one (although it's really close).

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 3, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

They've already confirmed he functions as Lightning's operator/radio guy in the game.

Also he looks like a little kid again for some reason but is apparently supposed to still be the regular one.

Then I guess I'm only half as furious.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

The ending of Final Fantasy XIII is Lightning dying, but from her death are formed three new Valkyries. The entire thing was just a Valkyrie Profile prequel. That is why S-E got the Tri-Ace guys to work on FFXIII-2.

And while they're at it, why not ruin Deus Ex too?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Defiance Industries posted:

I didn't actually play them (I have an unopened copy of one in fact), but I heard that the Valkyrie Profile sequels already did a number on that game's legacy. And knowing that two of the last things Tri-Ace worked on were Star Ocean 4 and XIII-2 doesn't exactly make the prospect of a new game from those guys exciting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I didn't actually play them (I have an unopened copy of one in fact), but I heard that the Valkyrie Profile sequels already did a number on that game's legacy. And knowing that two of the last things Tri-Ace worked on were Star Ocean 4 and XIII-2 doesn't exactly make the prospect of a new game from those guys exciting.

The Valkyie Profile sequels are actually really good. Silmera's story is pretty loving goofy and time-travely but that's about it. It's the one series Tri-Ace has worked on that they've managed to avoid loving up somehow. I'm perfectly happy with them never touching it again because they've somehow managed to avoid turning it into a complete shitfest three times in a row and there's no way that'd happen a fourth time.

They certainly didn't have any serious detrimental impact on the franchise's legacy either. There are people who don't like one or both games, but neither is remotely a Star Ocean 3/4 situation either in design or reception. Several staff members have talked about how much they'd like to do another game but the budget isn't there for one. Square-Enix owns the VP IP and they don't want to do anything with it, at least for the time being. There's a few things in FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns which really really reek of "Tri-Ace staffers using VP ideas they can't actually put in a VP game."

Final Fantasy: Invisible War comin' right up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 3, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

The Valkyie Profile sequels are actually really good. Silmera's story is pretty loving goofy and time-travely but that's about it. It's the one series Tri-Ace has worked on that they've managed to avoid loving up somehow. I'm perfectly happy with them never touching it again because they've somehow managed to avoid turning it into a complete shitfest three times in a row and there's no way that'd happen a fourth time.

I liked how VP2's story went, but a big part of that was that Rufus was genuinely likable. Also it seems to suggest that Brahms, King of the Undead, is pretty much the one thing that mortals can count on to look out for them in the VP universe. That is both funny to me and a good commentary on how lovely that world is. The stuff at the very very end with Lezard was kind of goofy but it was far from the active making GBS threads-upon that you see with many games. It's not like, say, SO3, which goes out of its way to point out that you maybe cared about the outcome of a video game and laughs at you because everything is totally arbitrary, or SO4. loving SO4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I liked how VP2's story went, but a big part of that was that Rufus was genuinely likable. Also it seems to suggest that Brahms, King of the Undead, is pretty much the one thing that mortals can count on to look out for them in the VP universe. That is both funny to me and a good commentary on how lovely that world is. The stuff at the very very end with Lezard was kind of goofy but it was far from the active making GBS threads-upon that you see with many games. It's not like, say, SO3, which goes out of its way to point out that you maybe cared about the outcome of a video game and laughs at you because everything is totally arbitrary, or SO4. loving SO4.

I actually kind of enjoyed VP2's goofy-rear end storyline but I still can't say it is really 'good'. It's largely because they decided to make it a sequel and prequel at the same time. It makes sense within the context of the universe but it is still incredibly strange when 3/4ths of the way through the game Lezard pops up and is like "Ha ha, fuckers, turns out it was a sequel all along!" Especially if you're someone playing VP:Silmera without playing the original and suddenly you've got evil Harry Potter loving up your timeline without any form of explanation.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It is a testament to how convoluted poo poo gets at the end that I didn't understand that was what was happening until now.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy: Invisible War comin' right up.

My Chrystarium is augmented.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is a testament to how convoluted poo poo gets at the end that I didn't understand that was what was happening until now.

Yeah, Silmeria's plot is really bizarre that way. It really feels like it expects people to be coming in fresh off Valkyrie Profile without needing any kind of refresher and having seen everything the game has to offer. I played the ever-living gently caress out of VP so I got what happened instantly but I really can't blame anyone for not picking it up because it's basically a giant stone wall of "hey, did you play this obscure Japanese RPG? Well, I hope you memorized all the obscure trivia because here we go! Hope you were't expecting any sort of explanation for all this poo poo!"

I guess it helps that I find Lezard to be a really fun villain because he is exactly the kind of horrible, shallow, pathetic person that Tri-Ace's worst aspects usually market to and they spend two games making fun of how awful that kind of person is and how pathetic he is. (Before, of course, they go right back to marketing to that kind of person.)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think I ever bothered to play VP2, but I thought the DS game was fantastic (even if it didn't really do anything with being a SRPG).

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
VP2 was awesome, it even got my JRPG-hating roommate hooked back in the day. SO3 was a lot of fun too as long as you laughed at the "twist" and didn't get all bent out of shape. The combat system was a lot of fun. I played SO4 for like 20 minutes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I don't think I ever bothered to play VP2, but I thought the DS game was fantastic (even if it didn't really do anything with being a SRPG).

VP2 has really awesome gameplay.

Basically the only bad thing about it is if you're someone who is obsessed with collecting every single item because there is a level of grinding required. However this grinding is completely unnecessary to beat the game. There's just some rare items you can get which either involve specific body part breaking or getting characters up to a certain level before they leave the party for plot-related reasons. Some people got turned off because they were told they had to grind but it's completely unnecessary. I've done everything there is to do in the game* without grinding for any significant period of time.

* Well, not everything. The game has a NG+ feature where it gets harder each time you finish it. I think you have to finish the game fifty times before it caps out, as well as doing the post-game optional dungeon like ten times.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I still need to get VP2. The original is one of my favorite games of all time, and one of the two reasons I still love tri-Ace despite their active efforts to pull a reverse king Midas on everything they see.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It wasn't because of grinding, I think my game froze at one point early on.

I don't really remember because I played it one or two times and never bothered to load it up again. For some reason I still bothered to get the game on launch day, though.

I remember getting really burnt out on Star Ocean 3 (not because of the story) and being really apathetic towards Tri-Ace from that point onward, though I've at least tried most of what they've put out since.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It might be a bad idea, but I'm still vaguely holding out hope for Valkyrie Profile Hrist: Smiting Infidels in the Name of Odin. It would basically be VP1 except the B ending is satisfying and Hrist is a gigantic bitch to everyone constantly.

I never got a chance to play VP2, but the DS game was really fun.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Basically the only bad thing about it is if you're someone who is obsessed with collecting every single item because there is a level of grinding required. However this grinding is completely unnecessary to beat the game. There's just some rare items you can get which either involve specific body part breaking or getting characters up to a certain level before they leave the party for plot-related reasons. Some people got turned off because they were told they had to grind but it's completely unnecessary. I've done everything there is to do in the game* without grinding for any significant period of time.

Wasn't the original a bit of a completist's nightmare too? The whole core mechanic really bothered my desire to minmax when I was younger, and I seem to recall the best ending being one of those "tripping a whole bunch of specific flags throughout the game" things that's hard to do without a guide, though I fully admit I haven't played it in almost a decade so I could be wrong.

Glad to hear VP2 is actually pretty good though; that just happens to be the game I've had sitting unplayed in my collection for years so maybe I'll give it a shot this summer before fall and holiday releases show up.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I absolutely never would have gotten ending A without a guide. It's certainly possible and IIRC it clues you into it pretty regularly - and the ending B makes it clear there's more at play - but I'm dumb and bad at games and would have never put things together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Wasn't the original a bit of a completist's nightmare too? The whole core mechanic really bothered my desire to minmax when I was younger, and I seem to recall the best ending being one of those "tripping a whole bunch of specific flags throughout the game" things that's hard to do without a guide, though I fully admit I haven't played it in almost a decade so I could be wrong.

Glad to hear VP2 is actually pretty good though; that just happens to be the game I've had sitting unplayed in my collection for years so maybe I'll give it a shot this summer before fall and holiday releases show up.

Yes and no.

VP's problem was less that the flags were hidden and more that it wasn't explicitly pointed out. Where every other character has a Hero Value, Lenneth has a Seal Rating and it's really easy to overlook that. It raises and lowers depending on the actions you take and you want to lower it below a certain point. The only real hint to this is in the game's B ending so it's really easy to overlook unless you're paying close attention to the status screen.

Every other flag, except maybe visiting Brahm's Castle, is something you trigger just by doing Spiritual Concentration every chapter. You have to do this anyway to find dungeons and recruit characters so it is basically impossible to miss. The Seal Rating is the thing that trips people up. A lot of the 'very specific checklist' FAQs are just guides to easily get the Seal Rating below 40 at the right point. You do have to hit a bunch of triggers for it but they're triggers you'll hit no matter what unless you're actively avoiding basic gameplay. There are a couple of optional scenes which massively lower Seal Value but you can get the A ending without them if you're willing to piss off Odin a little.

Basically they made the Good Ending hint way too subtle. They should have put your Seal Rating on the main screen like your Evaluation Rating or otherwise draw attention to it because 99% of players are going to overlook it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 3, 2013

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
BTW, that FF6 OC Remix album Track 15, at 0:45 or so, sounds eerily like the intro jingle to the first season of Peep Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nyhySh_0Ik

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
It seems the FFX/X-2 Remaster is getting new content aside from the International stuff!

Source

Source posted:

Final Fantasy X isn’t just getting the HD remaster treatment – it seems Square Enix has gone the extra mile and penned in a “new episode” for fans to enjoy post credits.

According to this week’s Jump magazine, series writer Kazushige Nojima will be writing this new 30 minute drama. It will take place at the end credits of the game and feature all new cast and character voices. No other details were given, although we have the sneaking suspicion next week’s Famitsu or even Square Enix themselves will provide official word shortly.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

NikkolasKing posted:

Take Jurassic Park. It's not exactly the best story ever written or anything but if you just read the summary of "dinosaurs were cloned from ancient mosquitoes and then placed in an amusement park" you would write the whole thing off as goofy. Yet the story does manage to establish an air of credibility and suspense.

Actually I thought a large part of what made JP fascinating was the "this is actually something that may be possible with technology that may be available in the near future" air it had. Crichton isn't really a fantastical author as much as a "what if we did THIS" author.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mazed posted:

Final Fantasy VII has this problem where one, it's poor translation makes the twists kind of hard to follow, and two, enormously vital backstory is tucked away in easily-missed optional scenes.

There's probably an argument to be made that infodumps of that nature should be strictly optional so as not to impede the gameplay, but for gently caress's sake, this is an RPG. If you don't want to dig into that stuff on occasion, why the hell are you even playing?

It's even more frustrating because stuff that is important to understand the main plot of the game is optional, while most of the second continent is random poo poo that doesn't matter to the main story but you have to do it every time(every town except Nibelheim). Even as a kid I was like "could they just not think of anything to happen that mattered at this point?"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dross posted:

Actually I thought a large part of what made JP fascinating was the "this is actually something that may be possible with technology that may be available in the near future" air it had. Crichton isn't really a fantastical author as much as a "what if we did THIS" author.

Well that's his strength and he does it well. I did a Crichton binge not too long ago, reading The Andromeda Strain, Congo, Sphere, Airframe, Timeline and Prey. He excels at showcasing the amazing technology we have access to. I had no idea about the stuff we had even back in the 80s. (Sphere was my favorite. Not only did it have a lot of cool science in it, it was really about delving into the minds of the heroes and I thought it was perfectly done. And screw the haters - I loved that ending. Beth hosed them all over)

It's even more frustrating because stuff that is important to understand the main plot of the game is optional, while most of the second continent is random poo poo that doesn't matter to the main story but you have to do it every time(every town except Nibelheim). Even as a kid I was like "could they just not think of anything to happen that mattered at this point?"

I liked the various cities and stuff because they developed the other characters. I really liked Barret's subplot in particular.

BUt yeah, the stuff in Icicle being skippable is just unforgivable. It explains...well, pretty much everything. I remember a lot of people back in the day who thought Sephiroth was an Ancient and that's because in the actual game Jenova is never said to be an alien or anything like that. The most you get is Aerith's single line about Sephiroth not being an Ancient You certainly never learn that Jenova was in fact the ancient blight that wiped out the Ancients that Sephiroth discussed in the flashback.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NikkolasKing posted:

I liked the various cities and stuff because they developed the other characters. I really liked Barret's subplot in particular.

If the only objective the game has from leaving Midgar until halfway through disc 2 is "chase Sephiroth" then you should feel like there is a serious sense of urgency, and the game really fails to deliver on that in the second continent. Cosmo Canyon is the worst example by far, but other than Nibelheim that whole continent is a huge drag on the story that should have been optional.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

No it shouldn't have.

Other characters need their plots too.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Then maybe their plots should have been in some way relevant to the main story, or the main story could have had more than one objective during that time? As it stands, the poo poo in towns has nothing to do with your main objective which SHOULD be a really urgent thing but isn't. If the game had been like "hey, we're going to need to fight Shinra but we'll need some help. Maybe Corel or Cosmo Canyon or Rocket Town would have people who are fed up with them too?" But at no point does the game try to make me think that the stuff I am doing is in any way relevant to anything but this one character who I may or may not particularly care for.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Then maybe their plots should have been in some way relevant to the main story, or the main story could have had more than one objective during that time? As it stands, the poo poo in towns has nothing to do with your main objective which SHOULD be a really urgent thing but isn't. If the game had been like "hey, we're going to need to fight Shinra but we'll need some help. Maybe Corel or Cosmo Canyon or Rocket Town would have people who are fed up with them too?" But at no point does the game try to make me think that the stuff I am doing is in any way relevant to anything but this one character who I may or may not particularly care for.

Except that's exactly what happens at Cosmo Canyon and Rocket Town? In CC you get there, wait for your car to be repaired as an narrative excuse to get to see Red 13's life and help him out so that he will want to continue to aid you. In Rocket Town it's literally 'Show up trying to find help to chase Sephiroth and slow down Shinra' and getting the Tiny Bronco does both.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In Cosmo Canyon Bugenhagen is like "I'm not fixing your car even though you are on an urgent mission. Deal with my dog grandson's issues and then you can leave." It's the exact opposite of involving it in the narrative in that the game says "you cannot continue with the main plot until you do this unrelated thing. No, I don't care that it has nothing to do with anything. Just do it." And Rocket Town doesn't get to that point until you've already wandered in just to dick around and sight-see like you're tourists or something. Then at the end you get the plane through complete random happenstance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

In Cosmo Canyon Bugenhagen is like "I'm not fixing your car even though you are on an urgent mission. Deal with my dog grandson's issues and then you can leave."

What the gently caress? This never happened. A random guy standing outside offers to fix the buggy, Bugenhagen decides to entertain the party with his planetarium while you wait, then has something to show Red XIII.