Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Endjinneer posted:

I've seen the carbon capture project at Sleipner mentioned as an example of a successful scheme. That's worth examining because it's also some of the lowest hanging fruit. The CO2 being captured and injected constitutes about 10% of the gas coming out of the well in the first place, which has always needed to be separated off but dumped to atmosphere rather than captured.
So CCS at scale is perfectly feasible if you have a massive tax incentive from the Norwegian government, most of the injection infrastructure is already in place, your extraction process is something you're already doing and you have a concentrated waste product.
For comparison, the exhaust from a combined cycle gas station is about 5% CO2 and atmospheric CO2 is .04%.

Where is that CO2 being stored and what happens when, not if, that storage breaks down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

karthun posted:

Where is that CO2 being stored and what happens when, not if, that storage breaks down?

Have you seen Ghostbusters? This will make a lot more sense if you have.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
What does the stay puffed marshmallow man have to do with any of this?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dameius posted:

Have you seen Ghostbusters? This will make a lot more sense if you have.

Is this true?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Phanatic posted:

In a number of states you are legally forbidden from placing a barrel on your property to collect rainwater.

That 'story' was a libertarian take on a guy who built enormous ponds with no inspections etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/us/regulatory-war-fought-over-a-wyoming-familys-pond.html

And the EPA eventually settled with him after some changes.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/279421-epa-settles-water-pollution-case-with-wyoming-farmer/

Can you of rain catchment off of your roofs? Probabily yes. People do it all the time here in San Diego.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

VideoGameVet posted:

That 'story' was a libertarian take on a guy who built enormous ponds with no inspections etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/us/regulatory-war-fought-over-a-wyoming-familys-pond.html

And the EPA eventually settled with him after some changes.

That's the EPA, I'm talking about state regulations.

Or at least I was, looks like even the states that had made it illegal have opened those laws a bit.

quote:

Can you of rain catchment off of your roofs? Probabily yes. People do it all the time here in San Diego.

If they did it all the time prior to 2012, then they either needed to obtain a water permit from the state or they were breaking the law.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201120120AB1750

Western water-poor states had generally considered all water that falls a public resource and you needed to obtain water rights to use it, and water rights themselves were a complex issue. Up until 2010, it was flat-out banned in Utah. Colorado finally made it legal in 2016. Nevada did it in 2017. Even with that comparative liberalization, restrictions are still tight; in Colorado you're generally limited to 110 gallons of catchment capacity, 200 in Utah.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

In Australia, water rights used to be part and parcel of the land you are on. Ie, you were allowed to collect water that fell on your land but not allowed to touch water flowing through your land (like a stream). They were starting to separate them so you could sell off water rights separately (and is necessary for governments to buy back water without buying all the land).

Egypt has the view that a treaty it has with the UK means that Ethiopia can't touch the water that falls on its land and needs to be left to flow into Egypt. Happily, the first stage filling of the renaissance dam coincided with a very wet year so was not a big deal. Not out of the woods but hopefully the worst of it has been averted - it could mean war otherwise.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

karthun posted:

Sleipner is a gas field in the North Sea, so the CO2 they extract is put back into the strata it's been occupying for a couple of million years.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Something just hit the pre-publication federal register regarding the Vogtle plants, I don’t have time atm to dig into the filings.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Discendo Vox posted:

Something just hit the pre-publication federal register regarding the Vogtle plants, I don’t have time atm to dig into the filings.

That they can turn on Unit 4, or something else (if something else, you got a link)?
https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...eration-under-a

EDIT: ahh, these (16755 and 16756 both have the same summary re: two cycles at Unit 2)
https://www.federalregister.gov/pub...vogtle-electric

SUMMARY: The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) has issued an exemption in response to a request dated June 30, 2022, as supplemented by letters dated September 13, 2022, and January 20, and May 5, 2023, from Southern Nuclear Operating Company to allow the use of AXIOM fuel rod cladding material in lead test assemblies 7ST1, 7ST2, 7ST3, and 7ST4, for up to two cycles of operation at Vogtle Electric Generating Plant, Unit 2.

SUMMARY: The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) has issued an exemption in response to a request dated June 30, 2022, as supplemented by letters dated September 13, 2022, and January 20 and May 5, 2023, from Southern Nuclear perating Company to allow the use of lead test assemblies (LTAs) 7ST1, 7ST2, 7ST3, and ST4, each with four fuel rods with a maximum nominal Uranium 235 (U-235)
enrichment of up to six percent by weight for up to two cycles of operation at Vogtle Electric Generating Plant, Unit 2, and to receive, inspect, and store the LTAs at Vogtle, Units 1 and 2.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 4, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Which grid is Vogtle hooked up to? I've been trying to see if it'll show up on the maps here but nothing I could detect so far

https://app.electricitymaps.com/zone/US-SE-SOCO

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mobby_6kl posted:

Which grid is Vogtle hooked up to? I've been trying to see if it'll show up on the maps here but nothing I could detect so far

I think you can see it in that map - look at the 6 year average (5.34GW of nuclear) versus the last 30 days or 24 hours (about 6.69GW of nuclear).

3 was spun up April 1 and then expected to increase production after that.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
you guys excited for solid state batteries?

sources say toyota made one with mid 700 mile range and under 10 minute charging time

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

TheMuffinMan posted:

you guys excited for solid state batteries?

sources say toyota made one with mid 700 mile range and under 10 minute charging time

believe it when I see it. Toyota's been making the same claim every year for half a decade or more now.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
have you guys heard of the aptera car?

it can get up to 40 miles a day from the solar panels that are part of the car. also they have options with the highest being 1000 miles off a full battery

TheMuffinMan fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 7, 2023

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
the aptera car

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

TheMuffinMan posted:

the aptera car

tried to upload a photo didn't work

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
the aptera car

https://www.designboom.com/technology/aptera-launch-edition-solar-car-01-31-2023/

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The Aptera car is a cool idea that's likely not going to happen because they're still like $30 million in the hole from being able to actually start mass production. With that said, I hope they inspire other automakers to at least try to use more efficient non-ICE-based form factors and engineering.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Roadie posted:

The Aptera car is a cool idea that's likely not going to happen because they're still like $30 million in the hole from being able to actually start mass production. With that said, I hope they inspire other automakers to at least try to use more efficient non-ICE-based form factors and engineering.
Yeah it's a bummer, I think from the engineering point of view it should be able to do what it's supposed to (maybe even the solar wouldn't be completely useless if you live in a sunny place) but I'm not confident the company can actually deliver anything at this point. Considering how long they've been at it, I think I would be able to put one together myself by now.

If we are to have personal transportation, this is what it should look like, not the EV Hummer.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Carrying around the weight of solar panels doesn’t make any sense (a theoretical maximum of ~1 KW/m^2 vs a 80KW motor on a Nissan Leaf); the extra weight costs you more energy to cart around than it generates, even in the Sonora. Their claim of 1000 miles of range would mean they’re carrying way more batteries than they need.

It is as fantasy driven as a gas Hummer; a different market but an appeal to image over function.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

in a well actually posted:

Carrying around the weight of solar panels doesn’t make any sense (a theoretical maximum of ~1 KW/m^2 vs a 80KW motor on a Nissan Leaf); the extra weight costs you more energy to cart around than it generates, even in the Sonora. Their claim of 1000 miles of range would mean they’re carrying way more batteries than they need.

It is as fantasy driven as a gas Hummer; a different market but an appeal to image over function.

It's a glorified long distance competition EV. It has no safety to speak of and the interior looks like a college project. They had some YouTuber test drive it and you can hear it creaking and groaning anytime it tried to accelerat.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
yeah

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm just gonna convert my 33 year old gas car to E85 and call it a day.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

in a well actually posted:

Even state of the art NASA solar cells aren't coming close to that number. You'd need about 500m^2 of solar cells to power a Nissan Leaf continuously on the go.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

breadshaped posted:

Even state of the art NASA solar cells aren't coming close to that number. You'd need about 500m^2 of solar cells to power a Nissan Leaf continuously on the go.
That's a bullshit number made up for a bullshit use case.

A typical EV uses 15 kWh per 100 km. A typical average speed is 100 km/h. So you need 15 kW of solar power for continuous use. A typical solar module produces 150 to 200 W per m2. That means you need 70 to 100 m2.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Fortunately, cars are rarely driven continuously.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I haven't kept up with the happenings, but there have been pure solar races before there were normal sized electric cars. Those are ultralight, ultrastreamlined, ultraefficient and ultraslow vehicles.

Though from what I understand, Aptera is alleging that the solars are integrated into the frame in a way that makes them add negligible weight.
The use case they talk about seems to assume that you are commuting those 40 miles of solar range on an unshaded road to an unshaded parking lot where your car bakes solar charges the whole day. Not actually a future that I want, and one where the aircon will probably eat all the solar gains.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
This would be a good use case for thin-film solar panels if they ever become practical.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Both of those arguments are a different sort of marketing bullshit. The Aptera car is poo poo, but not really for what is being commented here. Weight wise solar panels are tiny, so there is no real mass penalty for carrying around 2-3 m2 of them. But also no eco car would seek to continuously power itself with solar, as it is mathematically impractical beyond segway speed. You use a BEV, and at the end of your workday you've got enough range charged up to make the commute home. BEV's essentially have their own version of the rocket equation, where more range requires more batteries which require more batteries to move the batteries. Weight and regen braking are king for BEV, and if you're smart and limit yourself to <80km of range then suddenly the accumulator is light, the car is light, the brakes are light, and your efficiency numbers are fantastic.

On the other hand, no Leaf is operating at 80kW continuously, you're not drag racing your commuter car. The Aptera in concept is much much lighter and much more streamlined than a leaf. Putting an 80kW motor in one would be like putting a V8 in a civic. 15kwh/100km is a pretty solid metric to try to hit for a full sized car, and a few hours of sun will give you 25-40 km or range. If you designed something more European compact sized with better aero then pushing that up another 20% more efficient isn't unreasonable. Even for a gimmick such as the Aptera uou're not getting 40 miles of solar range a day and you're not getting 1000km of range on a battery, ever, except under the most ideal of artificial conditions.

The real reason its dumb is because there is no reason to do any of that when when you can just plug into a 110 outlet and get triple the charge for lower overall net emission. The added complexity of adding solar to a vehicle makes it per unit more costly and less efficient than charging multiple BEV's from a centrally managed solar farm.

VictualSquid posted:

I haven't kept up with the happenings, but there have been pure solar races before there were normal sized electric cars. Those are ultralight, ultrastreamlined, ultraefficient and ultraslow vehicles.

Though from what I understand, Aptera is alleging that the solars are integrated into the frame in a way that makes them add negligible weight.
The use case they talk about seems to assume that you are commuting those 40 miles of solar range on an unshaded road to an unshaded parking lot where your car bakes solar charges the whole day. Not actually a future that I want, and one where the aircon will probably eat all the solar gains.

Yes, SAE runs student competitions every year and they are a lot of fun. A lot of interesting engineering and research. But the point isn't to make useful vehicles, its to make something uniquely challenging as a learning experience.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i’d drive an aptera as a city car. don’t need to go real fast, mostly just to hit up stores than are too far to walk to or can’t carry something on an electric motorcycle from

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Yes, SAE runs student competitions every year and they are a lot of fun. A lot of interesting engineering and research. But the point isn't to make useful vehicles, its to make something uniquely challenging as a learning experience.
There are various categories, and some do include stuff like usability.

Moving a "normal" car just using solar power looks like this:

Obviously not deployed while driving.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

TheMuffinMan posted:

have you guys heard of the aptera car?

it can get up to 40 miles a day from the solar panels that are part of the car. also they have options with the highest being 1000 miles off a full battery

There were more Apteras on the roads around here in 2008 then there are now (I live in the same town as their HQ).

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
are you guys saying an aptera car can't get 40 miles of range if under the sun all day?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TheMuffinMan posted:

are you guys saying an aptera car can't get 40 miles of range if under the sun all day?

i’d say it’ll cover a commute in full socal sun, perhaps. the subject got derailed by people pretending to think that they’re trying to make a car that is completely recharged as it’s driven

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

There is no scenario where you are going to get a meaningful amount of electricity from the quantity of solar panels you can haul around, barring some eco mad max scenario where you drive across the desert 40 miles per day but can’t plug into the grid or home panels.

It is probably theoretically possible to get 40 miles from your office in Phoenix to your house in the suburbs of Phoenix assuming you can park in the optimal angle and have full sun exposure sunrise to sunset, have no hills on your commute, you travel at the optimal speed (below freeway) and don’t have to stop and start much, and you don’t turn on air conditioning.

It is a wish fulfillment imagineering on the scale of the Taylor Aerocar and a complete waste of the resources to build them and the capital investment to manufacture them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TheMuffinMan posted:

Aptera claims ~3 square meters of panels with the optional hood and hatch arrays. A flat 3 square meter panel in Tuscon aimed in the ideal direction could collect around 18kWh of solar energy per day, and a really good panel would convert 20% of that in to electricity for around 3.6kWh per day.

Realistically "~3 square meters" in marketing materials means "somewhere close-ish to but less than 3m^2", they're curved around the body rather than flat, and they're not even close to angled to gather sunlight optimally. More often than not at least some of the panels will be entirely shaded and they will never all be pointed at the sun. I'm totally rectally estimating at this point but I'm sure 2kWh/day would be a generous estimate.

Aptera claims 10 miles per kWh, I have no idea how realistic that is but even taking that claim entirely at face value 40 miles per day simply doesn't mathematically work. 20 miles a day might be plausible in ideal conditions.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Aptera looks neat but it’s ultimately trying to solve a charging problem that doesn’t really exist anymore. My friend is in the midst of a two week long road trip in the PNW where he’s traveled nearly 3,000 miles, routinely camped in the backcountry, and never had any trouble keeping his rented electric car (a Tesla Model 3) charged. It’s cost him a grand total of $50 for electricity (he estimates it would have been $450 in gas, or about $200 if he’d been using the Tesla superchargers all the time). While I can definitely see a market for cheaper, short-ranged electric cars, I think they’ll end up looking like a Mini Cooper EV, not a Mars Rover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Kaal posted:

Aptera looks neat but it’s ultimately trying to solve a charging problem that doesn’t really exist anymore. My friend is in the midst of a two week long road trip in the PNW where he’s traveled nearly 3,000 miles, routinely camped in the backcountry, and never had any trouble keeping his rented electric car (a Tesla Model 3) charged.

How's that scale?