Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I binged through every Metal Gear game back to back in the run-up to TPP.

I'm now convinced The La Li Lu Le Lo run the world and that I might be a clone.

La Li Lu Le Lo? What the gently caress is that and why do you keep talking about it? You've been talking about the La Li Lu Le Lo a lot. I'm starting to get worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Tae posted:

I'm surprised gun-ho Liam ran away like a coward instead of gunning down the Skulls. I ended up using the honeybee, though I was assuming regular guns don't work (Which they do, and I was sad.)

I didn't use the Honey Bee on them, either, and the next mission you fight them on has them grow crazy armor, so I was too afraid to fight them, so my personal narrative was that the Skulls were actually invincible and I had no clue how to fight them until I was forced to, the entire time thinking "What the gently caress am I going to do against these guys?"

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

KillerDan posted:

That is correct. And while having soldiers with skills can certainly help with certain R&D projects, sometimes the skills that they have are actually bad ones. Those with the troublemaker skill can put your other soldiers into sickbay through violence, giving them PTSD, or just plain making them sick. This can even lead to them killing your other soldiers if you don't fire them.

"It was just a prank, Boss!"

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Baal posted:

I want a Naruto game LP, Woolie

Give it to me

woolie vs naruto uzamaki chronicles

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

your wish on this monkey's paw has been granted

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

*curls up and turns to dust*

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad I'm not the only person who knew that Enter the Matrix had a multiplayer mode

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're one of those people who skips their fighting game stuff on fridays, I heartily suggest watching this scrublords, or at least the last ten or so minutes

Top five moments in SBF history with that final matchup reveal right there

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The acting in the Saturday Morning Scrublords intro continues to be great.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!

Andrast posted:

Why wouldn't he play with auto-aim when he is using a controller? Controllers are terrible for accurate aiming.

There's a reason almost every shooter on consoles has an auto-aim function.

because it's too helpful. what's the point of aiming when you just mash l2 and r2 in a rhythm to shoot dudes

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I have a confession to make, I saw 30 seconds of Enter the matrix one day when it first came out, and actually went and bought it full price the week it came out. I was too dazzled by WOAH BULLET TIME AND KUNG FU to stop and think. I have learnt quite the harsh lesson.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Al-Saqr posted:

I have a confession to make, I saw 30 seconds of Enter the matrix one day when it first came out, and actually went and bought it full price the week it came out. I was too dazzled by WOAH BULLET TIME AND KUNG FU to stop and think. I have learnt quite the harsh lesson.

You are not alone. I did the same thing. Worse was the instruction manual. Hit the action button to drive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

'Hmm, well, what were the options and when did this game even get made? *A quick google search later* Oh 2003? Well, what else was out then? Tales of Symphonia, Warcraft 3, Max Payne 2, Beyond Good and Evil, the first Call of Duty, Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu, Final Fantasy X-2' Man, that was a hard year, I can see why someone would pick that game up.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

RareAcumen posted:

'Hmm, well, what were the options and when did this game even get made? *A quick google search later* Oh 2003? Well, what else was out then? Tales of Symphonia, etc

If it's any consolation to you I did actually beat Tales of Symphonia. I was at that time of life when relatives and friends aplenty meant I did actually play everything else you mentioned (especially Warcraft).

Holy poo poo I just realized I never once beat a single final fantasy game ever. wow am I a fraud.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

If it's any consolation to you I did actually beat Tales of Symphonia. I was at that time of life when relatives and friends aplenty meant I did actually play everything else you mentioned (especially Warcraft).

Holy poo poo I just realized I never once beat a single final fantasy game ever. wow am I a fraud.

I have the memory of a Gamecube with no memory card. I can remember places I lived in clearly and that's about it. I beat Tales of Symphonia/Vesperia about five times each because anime was cool and good at the time. Now I want better stuff to come out because after watching really good stuff like ore monogatari, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Chaika - The Coffin Princess I can't really put up with a lot of bullshit in other series.

Anyway, I didn't play like four of those games because I didn't understand game companies and I had a gamecube, gameboy advance, and little knowledge because I was ten so I was pretty set at the time.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Al-Saqr posted:

Final Fantasy IV and VI are among the best games ever made and will ruin all other Final Fantasy games and RPGs for you in terms of gameplay, story, and musical score.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Nvm

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Charles Martel posted:

Final Fantasy IV and VI are among the best games ever made and will ruin all other Final Fantasy games and RPGs for you in terms of gameplay, story, and musical score.

No, and no. They are, however, both fun games. FF4DS is ludicrously hard though. I never beat any of the superbosses.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
FF4DS is poorly made, but base/remastered FF4 is not really lighting the world on fire. For the time it was released it was pretty revolutionary, but there are better FF gameplay systems and 4's story is just kinda all over the place.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Baal posted:

FF4DS is poorly made, but base/remastered FF4 is not really lighting the world on fire. For the time it was released it was pretty revolutionary, but there are better FF gameplay systems and 4's story is just kinda all over the place.

It'd be a lot better if they could've managed to get all the characters in for the end game though but I guess it was just too much information; like a second save file for Pokemon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I don't like that most of the cast are effectively guest characters that stay for longer than they should and the final team is impossible to mess with. 6 has the inverse situation where every character that you can play as you can keep with a few exceptions (This is fine too because the story and characters of 6 are mostly good), but the gameplay is some of the most homogeneous I've seen in a jrpg.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Charles Martel posted:

IV's story and characters are barely there and VI's plot, character development and interactions die out the second you hit the WoR outside of their designated vignettes which are all so impersonal and separated and are mostly terrible.

VII is pretty cool though, as far as making an interesting cast goes. The only real dud is Vinny, but he's got interesting backstory at least. IX is also pretty good for setting and being one of the few final fantasy games that doesn't drop the ball on carrying it's narrative themes.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ive only beaten 4, 5, and 6 so those are the best mainline final fantasys imo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roobanguy posted:

5 is a good choice

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No Final Fantasy game is the best Final Fantasy game but all are flawed. You can substitute Sonic in that sentence and still be correct.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

No Final Fantasy game is the best Final Fantasy game

It's Tactics

Also, the best Sonic game is Smash Bros.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

It's Tactics

What, the one with the interesting political drama about monarchs and dukes backstabbing their family to succeed each other in power only to make room for devil powers to instead take center stage?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

FFX-2 lets you turn your team into suit-wearing magical girls that do jojo poses

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I dare you to find a flaw there

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ruggington posted:

I dare you to find a flaw there

tidus comes back

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

poo poo

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't know why you people are talking about RPGs when we could be talking about how cool FirebirdMan is.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I binged through every Metal Gear game back to back in the run-up to TPP.

I'm now convinced The Patriots run the world and that I might be a clone.

i am looking forward to playing mgs 2 cause i always liked that one more and it had more options in it, iirc

i'm at the cyborg ninja boss in mgs and i forgot how much i hate it and am bad at it. i spent every attempt reminding myself 'in a circle' and loving it up, then when i would get him low, i'd get too close and die to the huge aoe aura. gently caress.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I could never really get into the older MGS games because I thought the gameplay was always kind of bad.

I was probably spoiled by thief.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
its remarkable what they were able to do with 3d on a console with no 3d controls, but it definitely suffers for it

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Roobanguy posted:

You've literally played the best the series has to offer. Maybe a case can be made for 7, but it's all downhill from there.

Also, the last fight in the Enter the Matrix video was awesome.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Charles Martel posted:

You've literally played the best the series has to offer. Maybe a case can be made for 7, but it's all downhill from there.

Lying is not nice to people genuinely asking.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Don't listen to this guy and his bad opinions. Final Fantasy 7, and 9 are still good fun.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

5, 7, 9, 12, Tactics. Those are the must plays for RPG fans. I have serious gripes some of them but despite those problems they are all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
No two people have the same FF recommendations, it's a basic quantic physics concept.

(4, 5, 6, Tactics, 7, 9. Everything else is a crapshoot.)