Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

qsvui posted:

i think he is

well, i am an asian immigrant and two of the 3 nonfizzbuzzers i talked about were white americans so lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
A sample size of three is laughable, my dude. I'm not saying there are no compelling arguments to be made, but certainly yours isn't one.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
for what it's worth, I don't consider international students coming here for a Master's degree to be in the same boat. There's a very clear reason they got the degree.

Like I said before, I've mostly had bad luck with the "Directly B.S. > M.S. in CS" people, and I think it's because a lot of schools have been devaluing that degree.

I wonder if a decent part of that, too, is just that the extra 2 years in some programs is long enough for them to be out of practice technically from the constant dev projects of undergrad.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
there’s a difference between “anecdata + narrative “ and “here’s the A through Z of why every person with a master’s in CS are uniformly GARBAGE”

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
Just to further elaborate,

here's a table (from 2011) about who gets masters degrees in cs. notice how 56.7% are non-resident aliens (Indian devs looking for h1bs). Only 25.7% white males.

This corresponds with my master's experience (80% of my class were non-resident aliens).

here's a table about who gets BS degrees in cs. notice the 66% white males with only 7% non-resident aliens.

Now, I'm not saying that the MS candidates aren't going to seem weaker in the interviews - the guys with the BS degrees definitely feel like stronger interviews. But granted, I've never actually interviewed a white guy with a master's in CS. Is it my cultural bias showing? Who knows, but the demographic information is compelling enough for me that I wouldn't express an opinion about MS degrees out loud at work.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
most h1bs i've seen w us masters in cs have bachelors in cs from their home country, weren't looking for a career change mostly a country change and were fine

america isn't the only place with bachelors degrees...

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

most h1bs i've seen w us masters in cs have bachelors in cs from their home country, weren't looking for a career change mostly a country change and were fine

america isn't the only place with bachelors degrees...

it's true, but the way the system is set up in the US, people with master's degree (regardless of country) are in a separate, higher-priority lottery to get into the US. you would have to think that a lot of people who want to emigrate would know this and attempt to get these degrees. it isn't necessarily just going to be the ones who failed to get jobs, as the h1b is literally a lottery...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, peeps w cs masters are fine, its the peeps who only have a cs masters, thats the signal

marumaru
May 20, 2013

yall have degrees? drat

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Buncha bias talk in here. Even if you think you see an anectodal pattern you should approach all your interviewees or coworkers with an open mind regardless of what kind of credentials they have. As well, a direct CS to MS will of course lack deep technical skills because they have been in book land forever, that doesn't mean they can't pick up what they need to on the job. Also your happiness will be better off in the long run by helping them develop rather than huffing about how they don't have skillset XYZ.

Votlook
Aug 20, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Wow, talk about a cultural difference. Where I'm at (Scandinavia), nobody gets a bachelor's unless they are either 1. eager to get out of school and earn money, or 2. not up to the academic challenges of a master's. Employers will offer a higher starting salary for new graduates with a master's.

Anecdotally, at my workplace (a large company), almost every senior engineer and manager I've met has a master's degree of some sort. The only bachelor's degrees I see are in IT/admin/operations, and some of the ancient self-taught programmers who started as electronic engineers in the 80's.

It's amazing what can happen when higher education is free and the state provides subsidized student loans. (Lobby your congressperson now!)

It's the same in the Netherlands, not doing a MS after your BS is seen as quitting halfway.
Getting into a PhD program without getting a MS first also also really uncommon here.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Votlook posted:

It's the same in the Netherlands, not doing a MS after your BS is seen as quitting halfway.
Getting into a PhD program without getting a MS first also also really uncommon here.

My understanding of US education is that if you're going for your PhD you'll generally get your MS as a side-effect, like, you maybe make a minor detour to pick it up because you might as well. Alternately, getting an MS is what you do as an "escape hatch" if you decide you don't actually want a PhD after all. But plenty of people stop after the bachelor's degree. Educations are expensive and the sooner you can start paying off your debt, the better. :sadpeanut:

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Twitter now has open postings for remote dev jobs. How much do you think they'll pay for people living outside SF?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Doghouse posted:

Twitter now has open postings for remote dev jobs. How much do you think they'll pay for people living outside SF?

no clue but you got me to go take a look and drat, Indeed finally seems to work for finding remote jobs now.

When I looked up a specific technology + Remote in the past, 90% of the jobs would only have the word "remote" in descriptions as part of "this is NOT a remote opportunity"

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The flood of jobs going remote is feeding my imposter syndrome like crazy. Gonna be way more competition out there for a while it feels like. Disconcerting as my company is not likely to survive the pandemic!

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Doghouse posted:

Its the norm to adjust pay for CoL, so almost certainly less.

With how lovely places are with pay I think its a lot more likely to pull down the pay in high CoL than to bring low CoL pay up to the bay.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
can you learn enough algo poo poo to pass the interview gauntlet just by doing ctci and hackerrank (or w/e) questions? i don't have any formal cs education, and the only algorithm and date structure stuff i know has come from casual exposure

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

redleader posted:

can you learn enough algo poo poo to pass the interview gauntlet just by doing ctci and hackerrank (or w/e) questions? i don't have any formal cs education, and the only algorithm and date structure stuff i know has come from casual exposure

yes, assuming you at least somewhat internalize how those solutions are working and it isn't just rote memorization

the on-the-spot 45 minutes to a solution problems are the lovely irrelevant grind part

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Anyone else use TripleByte?

https://pastebin.com/RJdHJ408

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Yep, I saw both emails today. RIP to my ~2 years-out-of-date TripleByte profile: you never scored.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I didn't use TripleByte, but a good friend of mine tried it out last year. I think he was a bit underwhelmed with the contacts he got from it. He had a couple of interviews with some kind of interesting sounding companies but they lowballed him super hard (like ~80k for a mid-level dev in a tech hub???) and I think it left a bad taste in his mouth.

Anyway, he works as a Google SRE now as a result of that job search, no thanks to TripleByte.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I went through the initial screening with triplebyte then gave up when I realized they didn't do any remote placements at the time I just gave up on it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Just the most recent example of my Swedish employer looking for an M.Sc. This is from and ad for a Product Owner-like role in a dev organization.

quote:

Minimum Qualification and Experience Requirement

MSc in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Statistics, Physics, Mathematics or related fields
Minimum 5 years of real-world experience from similar role

I mean, it's clear the job market has no shortage of people with that kind of training, if they ask that for such a non-analytical role.

Of course, it's bullshit for multiple reasons, in this particular case.

1. The responsibilities of the role do not include anything requiring that kind of academia.
2. If you have 5 years of relevant experience, I don't give a poo poo what your degree is in. What will matter is a good reference from your previous position.

Just saying, this is what our ads typically look like.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
How long do undergrad and masters programs take in Sweden? My understanding is that in the UK (and I was thinking this is fairly similar throughout Europe, but I could be wrong), undergrad is closer to 3-4 years and masters is 1-2. In the US, it's going to be 4-5 for undergrad and typically 2 for masters. I feel like that makes a pretty big difference here. I know by the time I finished my CS undergrad in the US (five full years although I did co-op), I was pretty much sick of school and ready to do something different. If it had only taken three years and I could have added another degree in the same amount of time, it may have been more appealing.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

zerofunk posted:

How long do undergrad and masters programs take in Sweden? My understanding is that in the UK (and I was thinking this is fairly similar throughout Europe, but I could be wrong), undergrad is closer to 3-4 years and masters is 1-2. In the US, it's going to be 4-5 for undergrad and typically 2 for masters. I feel like that makes a pretty big difference here. I know by the time I finished my CS undergrad in the US (five full years although I did co-op), I was pretty much sick of school and ready to do something different. If it had only taken three years and I could have added another degree in the same amount of time, it may have been more appealing.

We're fully aligned to the Bologna Process, more specifically it's 3 years for a B.Sc and 2 more for a M.Sc. Other countries might do 4+1, I guess?

If a B.Sc takes 4 or 5 years, then I can certainly see why you'd be more qualified to start a career. Especially if you (or your parents) had been paying tuition for it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

US bachelor's degrees take longer than European ones because our secondary education system is much weaker. Colleges have to teach all the things that should've been done before, and that takes time.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I read a 4 year Masters, skipping the Bachelors. A minor gamble, if you fail the Masters you don’t walk away with a Bachelors. Benefits on immigration definitely worth it, even if not planned.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

If a B.Sc takes 4 or 5 years, then I can certainly see why you'd be more qualified to start a career. Especially if you (or your parents) had been paying tuition for it.

Yes in the US a Bachelors degree typically takes 4 years, and it's not uncommon to take up to 5 years especially if you're doing a double degree or some extra certification. Most Masters programs are then another 2 years, assuming you have all the entry prerequisites prior to starting the program. If not, add even more time. There are some 4+1 programs out there but they are not super common, and you'd have to know you want to do it from early on in undergrad.

A Masters grad that went straight from high school to undergrad to grad is going to be like 24-25 years old if everything went according to schedule.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 27, 2020

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
They way I've always seen it is a masters degree in CS is about equal to years experience in the field. So it takes you 2 years to get an MS, you start out at about the same spot as an industry newb after their first two years in the field.

This was probably true back when I graduated in 2002. It's probably not as true now. Maybe now I'd only give a recipient of an MS degree 1 year exp, equivalent, depending?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's not equivalent at all, though, you will learn wildly different things on the job and getting a masters.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Depends on the university a lot. When I was at uni, it was all academic CS theory, no software engineering, and no internships. (Which certainly was a shock in my first in-the-field year where I had to learn SDLC from basically scratch). But other unis had internship programs and/or better professors who prepared their students for the real world. To this day I'm still pleasantly surprised by the number of interns who don't need to be introduced to essential concepts like Git.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yeah I'm grateful to my fellow student who brought CVS into our project work. It was a breeze learning Subversion on the job (and then Git) since I was already highly motivated by knowing just how essential version control is. Back in the 00's, there was no coursework about it at all.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Back in the '10s version control wasn't even mentioned until 3rd year (and even then it was SVN) even though we had a "here's how to do a software project" course. It's probably a lot to dump on a first year, but definitely would have come in handy soon after.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

We're fully aligned to the Bologna Process, more specifically it's 3 years for a B.Sc and 2 more for a M.Sc. Other countries might do 4+1, I guess?

I don't know about Sweden but in the UK if you do a degree in X you only study X and nothing else, for three years straight. Thats not how it works in America.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Inacio posted:

yall have degrees? drat

In History :hist101:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I'm looking to change directions and get into the data analytics side of my field (pharmacy). I see there are a lot of 12~ week "bootcamp" courses, some free online, some incredibly expensive through accredited universities. Are any of these worth the time or money?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

kazr posted:

I'm looking to change directions and get into the data analytics side of my field (pharmacy). I see there are a lot of 12~ week "bootcamp" courses, some free online, some incredibly expensive through accredited universities. Are any of these worth the time or money?

the ones that will only let you in if you dont need them

i wish i was kidding

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Similar question, if I'm currently a mobile software engineer and I want my title to say "machine learning engineer" - what's a good way to go about learning the right stuff to make that happen?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Similar question, if I'm currently a mobile software engineer and I want my title to say "machine learning engineer" - what's a good way to go about learning the right stuff to make that happen?

https://www.deeplearningbook.org/ :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the ones that will only let you in if you dont need them

i wish i was kidding

Lol ok. Any recommendations on learning SQL, python and R?