Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

That faint sound in your ears is me screaming in the distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MizPiz posted:

You're right, but the reason they see Warhammer as 100% serious is because they think it's realistic. The depth doesn't come from the metaphoric or allegoric aspects of the work, but how "accurate" the setting, characters, and actions are based on their worldview. Basically, Warhammer doesn't extra levels because it's already portraying life as it really is.

Then again, this could be exactly what you're saying just with different words, thus confirming this as one of my more :goonsay: moments.

TBH I just used that as an example because I'm on a bit of a 40k lore-binge.

This is why as far as schlocky tabletop game space opera goes, I vastly prefer BattleTech because nobody could possibly take it that seriously, with its space feudalism being so completely and self-evidently corrupt and stupid.

Right? Please don't tell me somebody actually wants to live in those stagnant train wreck societies. :ohdear:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Peztopiary posted:

These are people who believe in meme magic. They think words and images can forcibly change the way you understand the world, such that you suddenly wake up and look in horror at what had previously taken for granted. After that revelation, you'll love the patriarchy (which is always the step I'm confused about) and a subset of weird psuedo-conservative beliefs.

This is the thing about these guys that always gets me. They aren't the first political group to believe their enemies are just better at charming people over than they are, but when traditional conservatives came to that conclusion they did something about it. They put a shitload of money into the debate teams at their favorite colleges, they got PR gurus like Frank Luntz to re-invent words on the fly, and did about a dozen other things I'm not recalling at the moment. Point is they actually try to win arguments

Meanwhile the Dark Enlightenment's luminaries believe that such things are ~word sorcery~. Not just a skill to be learned and taught but the kind of thing you have to climb to the top of a mountain and gain the favor of a mystical hermit to even grasp the basic concepts of, and as a result editing, coherence, consistency, and anything other than unfocused rambling is a power. They don't have it so why bother trying to use it

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

As Sandifer put it, the thing about the redpill view of the world isn't that it's wrong, but that it's obvious. NRx took the term from the Matrix, and the Matrix took inspiration from decades of analysis of how many common-sense ideas and planks of public discourse aren't true, but are convenient for certain powerful groups. But rather than engaging with and building on this work, it's seen to be threatening (because it's focused on actual oppressed groups) and so declared to be part of the Matrix, and replaced with a toyhouse that's fun to play in.

Like if the point of taking the red pill was to learn kung-fu and super jumps and tell yourself that's real, rather than to free humanity from the machines.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The thing about Lovecraft is a lot of his work itself was incredibly racist, so even nerds can't sweep it under the rug or mentally justify why actually no this story is totally happy and fine and i don't know why you have to see racism everywhere. He was about as unambiguously racist as you can get, which is actually kind of, uh, refreshing compared to today's dogwhistles and constant denial.

You say this but I've seen people react with huffing and hostility to the suggestion that Howard was racist and that this has significance for the Conan stories.

I think the key is more likely to be that people like analyses that flatter their preconceptions. There's also by now a segment of people who like analysis in response to the stereotype of reactionaries people hating it. This thread can be pretty crude with its use of 'nerds'.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That faint sound in your ears is me screaming in the distance

I legit feel bad for that dude.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

This comic is really dumb, because Poe has written fairly extensively about The Raven and how it was a mercenary, engineered poem. The first consideration was how many lines it should have; everything else came from that decision.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Somfin posted:

This comic is really dumb, because Poe has written fairly extensively about The Raven and how it was a mercenary, engineered poem. The first consideration was how many lines it should have; everything else came from that decision.

That's one reason. It's a hilariously bad comic because:

1: The symbolism in the Raven is really, really easy to get

2: Poe himself wrote about the symbolism

3: Even if you are just giving a straight description of the events, the narrator loving hated that raven.

It's still a surface-level reading even if the surface is stretched out to several miles

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That's one reason. It's a hilariously bad comic because:

1: The symbolism in the Raven is really, really easy to get

2: Poe himself wrote about the symbolism

3: Even if you are just giving a straight description of the events, the narrator loving hated that raven.

It's still a surface-level reading even if the surface is stretched out to several miles

I literally just googled for it and then pasted it. I don't know the original text either.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There's nothing inherently wrong with looking too deeply into stories or other forms of art, and in fact can be a fun creative exercise. It's when people start taking it far too seriously that it starts to be a problem.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Or you know, being unable to frame their thoughts without applying a pre-existing narrative to them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean taking a dumb concept and then trying to use it to express something meaningful or communicate an idea isn't inherently futile or insane.

Reading it into loving Warhammer is, though, unless (in recent years) that idea is 'man isn't fascism actually kinda cool', which is hilarious for something that started as a ripoff of 2000 AD.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

WrenP-Complete posted:

I literally just googled for it and then pasted it. I don't know the original text either.

Yeah, it's a guy who has sunk years of his life (I remember him doing this crap back in 2003) trying to enumerate how many space cathedrals the Imperium has and how many jiggawatts their turbophasers emit. It's "vs. debates" poo poo that is outright opposed to literary analysis.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's not a non-surface reading so much as the ultimate surface reading - taking the superficial phenomena of the narrative as literally existent and trying to make up work out as much trivial detail about their posited literal existence as possible.

You can play some fun games with it but my god.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I'm pretty sure that meme magic is real in some sense. It appears to obey the basic magic principle that whatever evil/lulz you put into the world returns to you 3x.

I mean have you ever seen a bigger bunch of cvcks than the alt-right?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
A thread relevant analysis of 40k.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Peel posted:

It's not a non-surface reading so much as the ultimate surface reading - taking the superficial phenomena of the narrative as literally existent and trying to make up work out as much trivial detail about their posited literal existence as possible.

Hitler purged gays out of the Nazi high command – out of everywhere. No gay books. No open homosexuals. Secret homosexuals, if caught, sent to prison or died in concentration camps.

Effective, and excellent beneficial results on military discipline, male solidarity, and male cameraderie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The tertiary Scott A is being a shithead again http://blog.dilbert.com/

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
As a rule nerds have no idea what a non-surface level reading even is, definitionally. This is what comes of prizing extraneous detail above all else.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

neongrey posted:

As a rule nerds have no idea what a non-surface level reading even is, definitionally. This is what comes of prizing extraneous detail above all else.

That is a profoundly interesting thing to say, and I don't know what set of tools you'd use to evaluate this. Is this what people who study competitive literature do? (What do they do?)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I mean taking a dumb concept and then trying to use it to express something meaningful or communicate an idea isn't inherently futile or insane.

Reading it into loving Warhammer is, though, unless (in recent years) that idea is 'man isn't fascism actually kinda cool', which is hilarious for something that started as a ripoff of 2000 AD.

Pretty much any work of art can be read into to some extent. Complexity affects the number of meanings you can (easily) find in something, while quality affects how many of those meanings are likely to be intentional, and how satisfyingly they're explored. Warhammer's lore may be a toy commercial, but it's a vast and complex toy commercial that's mashed together a few billion different artistic inspirations, and that means that a critic can find a lot to dig into. The themes may be unpleasant, and the way they're explored may be unsatisfying, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I mean, just look at Chaos and how it works. You've got a setting where emotions literally come alive and try to eat people. That's a dense thematic vein to mine right there, especially when you remember that Warhams is primarily sold to teenage boys navigating the minefield of puberty.

Darth Walrus has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Sep 28, 2016

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

WrenP-Complete posted:

That is a profoundly interesting thing to say, and I don't know what set of tools you'd use to evaluate this. Is this what people who study competitive literature do? (What do they do?)

I say that more out of watching it happen around me. They dive on non-pertinent world building details as a sign of how "deep" a setting is; any foreshadowing at all is a sign of depth to the work, and a detailed, below surface level is what they call a reading that largely focuses on theorycrafting answers to intentionally placed mysteries and/or bits of foreshadowing. Which is a fun activity but isn't plumbing the text for all it's worth in the analysis sense.

You can see this in action done by non-douchebags if you go to tor.com and check out any of their series rereads. The best of them look at older works and go into how the blogger is responding to the work now relative to when it was written and how it holds up to a modern eye, which is at least interesting. The worst focus in on "ooh I didn't notice that foreshadowing the first time" and "Perhaps this links in to the overall plotline of the series".

neongrey has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Sep 28, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Darth Walrus posted:

Pretty much any work of art can be read into to some extent. Complexity affects the number of meanings you can (easily) find in something, while quality affects how many of those meanings are likely to be intentional, and how satisfyingly they're explored. Warhammer's lore may be a toy commercial, but it's a vast and complex toy commercial that's mashed together a few billion different artistic inspirations, and that means that a critic can find a lot to dig into. The themes may be unpleasant, and the way they're explored may be unsatisfying, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I mean, just look at Chaos and how it works. You've got a setting where emotions literally come alive and try to eat people. That's a dense thematic vein to mine right there, especially when you remember that Warhams is primarily sold to teenage boys navigating the minefield of puberty.

Warhams has stuff you could do with it, yes, but it's stuff that is not done in the official stuff. I mean, back when I was into it my personal take on it was 'The Empire is worshipping great men without realizing they exist in a universe where great men are insignificant, and more importantly, every single one of them completely failed and only made things worse, but they don't see it at all and continue to author their own doom.'

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The mandatory monthly Varg Vikernes thread on Metal Archives led to an interesting exchange between me and another poster about the follies of Germanic national romanticism, and this guy mentioned Guido von List as a particularly ridiculous character from that movement. Hoo boy.

Wikipedia posted:

List generally saw the world in which he was living as one of degeneration,[54] comparing it with the societies of the Late Roman and Byzantine Empires.[55] He bemoaned the decline of the rural peasantry through urbanisation, having witnessed how Vienna's population tripled between 1870 and 1890, resulting in overcrowding, a growth in diseases like tuberculosis, and a severe strain on the city's resources.[56] A staunch monarchist, he opposed all forms of democracy, feminism, and modern trends in the arts, such as those of the Vienna Secessionists.[54] Influenced by the Pan-Germanist politician Georg Ritter von Schönerer and his Away from Rome! movement, List decried the growing influence of linguistically Slavic communities within the Austro-Hungarian Empire.[57] He was opposed to laissez-faire capitalism and large-scale enterprise, instead favouring an economic system based on small-scale artisans and craftsmen, being particularly unhappy with the decline in tradesmen's guilds.[58] He was similarly opposed to the modern banking sector and financial institutions, deeming it to be dominated by Jews; in criticising these institutions, he expressed anti-semitic sentiments.[54] Such views of the country's economic situation were not uncommon in Austria at the time, having become particularly widespread following the Panic of 1873.[54] The later Heathen and runologist Edred Thorsson noted that List's "theories were to some degree based on the anti-semitic dogmas of the day",[59] while Hammer stated that the Ariosophic tradition promulgated by List and others was "unambiguously racist and anti-semitic".[31]

List believed that the degradation of modern Western society was as a result of a conspiracy orchestrated by a secret organisation known as the Great International Party,[60] an idea influenced by anti-semitic conspiracy theories.[61] Adopting a millenarianist perspective, he believed in the imminent defeat of this enemy and the establishment of a better future for the Ario-German race.[62] In April 1915 he welcomed the start of World War I as a conflict that would bring about the defeat of Germany's enemies and the establishment of a golden age for the new Ario-German Empire.[63] Toward the war's end, he believed that the German war dead would be reincarnated as a generation who would push through with a national revolution and establish this new, better society.[64] For List, this better future would be intricately connected to the ancient past, reflecting his belief in the cyclical nature of time, something which he had adopted both from a reading of Norse mythology and from Theosophy.[65] Reflecting his monarchist beliefs, he envisioned this future state as being governed by the House of Habsburg,[66] with a revived feudal system of land ownership being introduced through which land would be inherited by a man's eldest son.[67] In List's opinion, this new empire would be highly hierarchical, with non-Aryans being subjugated under the Aryan population and opportunities for education and jobs in public service being restricted to those deemed racially pure.[68] He envisioned this Empire following the Wotanic religion which he promoted.[32]
The more things change, the more the far-right stays the same.

Also the idea of the House of Habsburg having a future after the rise of the Hohenzollerns and the German Empire :laugh:

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Sep 28, 2016

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

... the only person they actually interviewed were the people who invited him (some campus libertarian group I think) who were like "This is how we have a ~conversation~ and if he weren't so controversial nobody would care and we couldn't have this ~conversation~"

A ~conversation~ without a single non-white person in sight! :shepface:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This is a book report.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Peel posted:

I'm pretty sure most people who argue about the mechanics of fictional worlds are aware that it's just a fun game. Which isn't to deny that some people can be obnoxious about it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I'm pretty sure most people who argue about the mechanics of fictional worlds are aware that it's just a fun game. Which isn't to deny that some people can be obnoxious about it.

Yes but those people do it in real life, just for funsies, with friends, maybe over a few drinks. I think the line at which it starts to become weird is when you start writing it down on the internet.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Yes but those people do it in real life, just for funsies, with friends, maybe over a few drinks. I think the line at which it starts to become weird is when you start writing it down on the internet.
:rolleyes:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Very "good" essay on being a child

quote:

“Every doctrine tends to direct human activity towards a determined objective,” as Mussolini said. Although very few people would want to live in the Human Imperium, I also believe that there are also a lot of people who don’t want to live in Gene Roddenberry’s Federation or George Lucas’ Galactic Republic, yours truly included. Despite its obvious caricaturization, the Human Imperium represents a society where courage, valor, instinct and the will are more valued than equality, compassion and progress. It is a society that is not driven by the shallow morality of egalitarianism and individuality, but by the Will to Power as expressed by the Will to Survive.

I don't think individual virtues are valued at all in the setting where billions die just because they got run over by a wandering fleet of demon knights.
Why the altrighters don't identify with Chaos characters? If anything, they are purer expression of the "will to power" and the "will to survive". For being fans of a setting that is above conventional morality they sure support the designated "good" team. What rebels!

I love the paragraph about pop culture significance that is entirely empty huffing. Warhammer is mostly insignificant on a global pop culture scale, not because race traitors and liberals hide it from the people, but because it is hillariously unrelatable and is ultimately anchored by its goal - to explain why overpriced plastic soldiers need to bash each other. The right needs to find some stories about peacetime if it wants to influence popular culture.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The designated good team is those boring grey alien guys. The humans are gross and awful (in a fun way).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Doc Hawkins posted:

The designated good team is those boring grey alien guys. The humans are gross and awful (in a fun way).

Everyone is evil in increasingly edgy ways, which is great when people remember that the setting is highly satirical

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Improbable Lobster posted:

Everyone is evil in increasingly edgy ways, which is great when people remember that the setting is highly satirical

*used to be

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

You see, egalitarianism is shallow because it wastes time on ideas like "people have more in common than not" vs. my superior philosophy where surface identifiers like skin color are linked deeply to intellect (which is important beyond all else even though by writing this essay I've proven how damned stupid I really am!).

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Nerds hate reading on any level other than the surface.

Unless it's Lovecraft. With Lovecraft it's okay to talk about the underlying philosophy and how his racism might have affected his work. But nerds will tolerate that kind of discussion for nobody else, not even when it's really obvious.

from my memory of high school it was always the normalcool kids who got mad about the stuff in that comic, not the nerds

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

You don't even have to look at it as satire. 40K is, simply, a campy, ultra-heightened celebration of sci-fi villains. It's a game system based around a 'Predator versus the Terminator - who would win?' forum thread. Think that the Xenomorphs were cool as poo poo? How about the Combine from Half-Life? Space zombies? Space elves? Arrogant, neo-feudal space-knights trying to turn the universe into their serfs? Guess what, we've got a whole army and lore based around them.

The whole thing starts falling apart the moment someone tries to pretend that someone in the setting is one of the good guys, or their atrocities are justified, because the setting is so hellaciously dark that that's going to immediately lead you to some deeply uncomfortable messaging. Kind of like calling yourselves the 'Dark Enlightenment' like it's a good thing, for instance.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Law Cheetah posted:

from my memory of high school it was always the normalcool kids who got mad about the stuff in that comic, not the nerds

Yeah, this has always been a super-popular gripe about English classes. Throw a rock and 50/50 you'll hit someone who thinks the way. If anything, I think it is mostly symptomatic of English teachers not teaching the fundamentals of literary analysis well at all. Instead typically what happens is that soft-ball examples are presented without justification and then teachers jump right into the western canon. Blaming this attitude on nerds is to miss the fact that it is mostly a result of bad pedagogy

The reason it's funny when nerds do it is because they think they're smart and so it is hilarious to watch them misunderstand something that is part of the standard high school curriculum.

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Sep 28, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

fatherboxx posted:

Very "good" essay on being a child

I don't think individual virtues are valued at all in the setting where billions die just because they got run over by a wandering fleet of demon knights.
Why the altrighters don't identify with Chaos characters? If anything, they are purer expression of the "will to power" and the "will to survive". For being fans of a setting that is above conventional morality they sure support the designated "good" team. What rebels!

I love the paragraph about pop culture significance that is entirely empty huffing. Warhammer is mostly insignificant on a global pop culture scale, not because race traitors and liberals hide it from the people, but because it is hillariously unrelatable and is ultimately anchored by its goal - to explain why overpriced plastic soldiers need to bash each other. The right needs to find some stories about peacetime if it wants to influence popular culture.

Reactos are divided between those who want to be Conan the Barbarian(Most everyone in the Manosphere, The Golden One, Mister Mean-Spirited), those who want to be Cardinal Richelieu(Moldbug, Michael Anissimov, Konkvistador), and those who want to be Conan AND Cardinal Richeliu(Aurini, Matt Forney). The fact that there's an ideological conflict conflict between this is generally ignored, because the Conan types are too stupid to realize it, the Richelieu types realize the need scary guard dogs to bark at the progs and sjws and the fact that they'd lose a direct fight, and the Conan Richelius get a boner from being everything their ideal enemy hates.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

What the gently caress this isn't even a surface level reading, Lenore is the subject of the entire loving peom and is explicitly mentioned by name like a dozen times. This is some rear end in a top hat who's mad his teacher caught him not paying attention and is taking it out on the entire concept of academia.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

It's a hobby. Like most hobbies, it might be weird but it's basically harmless. I'm guessing the guy is autistic, which means all this long-winded accounting of the facts and figures of the 40K universe is just something fun for him to occupy his brain with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I want to see that dudes hot takes on other classics:

Moby Dick: Call me Ishmael. Please do not call me anything else, I really don't like that.

The Great Gatsby: Gatsby really likes the color green and also lights.

Ulysses: Jacking it on the beach to hot babes is cool and good.

Gravity's Rainbow: ????????????