Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

code:
                                                  Y: This is utmost foolishness.

X: I am wearing the romance ring, you have to marry me now.            B: What the gently caress satisfies if all you can tolerate is one point of view, one truth and all else is pointless drivel?

A: I have to go.  

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Games > Fallout 4: This is utmost foolishness.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

TontoCorazon posted:

Honestly, Mordaedil you sound like a real bitch complaining this much about a video game.

Everyone in this thread is just the worst. Mordaedil for complaining about nothing just to complain, Bob NewSCART for using the majority of his posts to just tell everyone how horrible they are without actually contributing anything worth reading himself, me for being too handsome and setting the bar too high for everyone else, you for bitching about someone bitching in a thread that's just bitching, and everyone else for making the thread about bitching.

We should all be ashamed of ourselves.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bob NewSCART posted:

Not to mention the fact that you're trying to have critical analysis on the Something Awful forums about a Fallout game that has not even been released yet .

When Neil Armstrong was interviewed after returning from the moon, he reflected on the fact that--up until the moment they physically set foot on its surface--nobody knew virtually anything about the moon. He recalled heated arguments at NASA HQ regarding every minutiae of Luna: What the moon was actually made of. If the moon made its own light. Whether or not the Soviets (or the Chinese) were already on the moon. If you could breathe on the moon. "What" the moon actually "was". Scientists and technicians would pore over grainy photos taken from observatories and jerky 8 mm films from planes that had tried to get a "closer look" at Earth's little sister. "Here," a geologist would point at a black speck on a photograph. "This is a lake. A lake on the moon." A Darwin-medal Biologist maintains that the porousness of the moon's surface means that it is comprised primarily of a biological "sponge-like" material. Generals squint after repeated viewings of film until secrets are ferreted out of their frames. "The military wanted to send us up there with a hand grenade," Armstrong reflected. "They said that the 'unnatural jaundice' of the moon could only mean that the Chinese had already begun to colonize it. For a while, people started hating the moon--they didn't trust it. Not if Chairman Mao was already building a palace on it."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 4, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

When Neil Armstrong was interviewed after returning from the moon, he reflected on the fact that--up until the moment they physically set foot on its surface--nobody knew virtually anything about the moon. He recalled heated arguments at NASA HQ regarding every minutiae of Luna: What the moon was actually made of. If the moon made its own light. Whether or not the Soviets (or the Chinese) were already on the moon. If you could breathe on the moon. "What" the moon actually "was". Scientists and technicians would pore over grainy photos taken from observatories and jerky 8 mm films from planes that had tried to get a "closer look" at Earth's little sister. "Here," a geologist would point at a black speck on a photograph. "This is a lake. A lake on the moon." A Darwin-medal Biologist maintains that the porousness of the moon's surface means that it is comprised primarily of a biological "sponge-like" material. Generals squint after repeated viewings of film until secrets are ferreted out of their frames. "The military wanted to send us up there with a hand grenade," Armstrong reflected. "They said that the 'unnatural jaundice' of the moon could only mean that the Chinese had already begun to colonize it."

The moon isn't real. It's just a hanger in Nevada.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

JackBadass posted:

The moon isn't real. It's just a hanger in Nevada.

Where do you think we get our cheeses?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

TontoCorazon posted:

Where do you think we get our cheeses?

Church.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

That's where we get our sodomy.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

JackBadass posted:

Everyone in this thread is just the worst. Mordaedil for complaining about nothing just to complain, Bob NewSCART for using the majority of his posts to just tell everyone how horrible they are without actually contributing anything worth reading himself, me for being too handsome and setting the bar too high for everyone else, you for bitching about someone bitching in a thread that's just bitching, and everyone else for making the thread about bitching.

you werent around for the lead up to skyrim. this thread is bush league at best

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

The skyrim thread was great. My favorite was when a guy saw a person for a split second in the announce trailer getting stabbed in the gut and decided all NPCs looked like ugly monkeys.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Blue Raider posted:

you werent around for the lead up to skyrim. this thread is bush league at best

Man Whore posted:

The skyrim thread was great. My favorite was when a guy saw a person for a split second in the announce trailer getting stabbed in the gut and decided all NPCs looked like ugly monkeys.

poo poo, I'm going to have to go find this thread and take a peek.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If anything we aren't hating Bethesda enough and making more outlandish and stupid speculations until some actual info about this game comes out. You kids and your blind loving optimism.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Bethesda conspired to screw millions of dollars out of Obsidian after NV (The Best Game Ever), what more needs to be said about those scum....

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

frajaq posted:

Bethesda conspired to screw millions of dollars out of Obsidian after NV (The Best Game Ever), what more needs to be said about those scum....

Yeah if you're gonna hate on Bethesda, it should be for this, and for the whole suing interplay over fallout online thing. Sounds like everyone lost on the latter. (Interplay had to can Fallout Online and whatever millions investment they'd already committed, and Beth had to pay out 2 million, +legal fees for both)

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I really like this Fallout Shelter game. Bought five big dollars worth of lunchboxes on super-sale. Disappointed you can't send children into the wastes. :(

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Cheap Shot posted:

Yeah if you're gonna hate on Bethesda, it should be for this, and for the whole suing interplay over fallout online thing. Sounds like everyone lost on the latter. (Interplay had to can Fallout Online and whatever millions investment they'd already committed, and Beth had to pay out 2 million, +legal fees for both)

Bethesda is still probably going to make Fallout Online someday. ESO kind of feels like their testing ground for the genre.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

Dude.

I asked you to clarify your point and you posted an unrelated screenshot. What about having a voiced protagonist necessitates voice acting in mods to the extent that it would be impossible to make quest mods? Why does having the protagonist also voiced (as opposed to every character besides the PC) suddenly make quest mods restricted to people who can hire professional voice actors for $5000?

Relax drat.

Sorry, I thought the screenshot made the point kind of clear, but I guess I could elaborate, ignoring other people complaining about me posting.

Essentially the only reason a dialog wheel works as a method of delivering dialog options for anyone at all is because there is going to be some performance of act behind it following a selection. If we're really going to just have the player go mute and show subtitles after picking choices, it's going to be two mute people expositing dialog at each other with no real feedback for who is talking. I guess quest mods were never all that great, but it's still a bit of a stick in the wheels.

Again though, it's not the thing I care the most about.

JackBadass posted:

Thanks, that is the nicest thing you've said to me all thread.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I really like this Fallout Shelter game. Bought five big dollars worth of lunchboxes on super-sale. Disappointed you can't send children into the wastes. :(

I was just starting to get over it when my battery died while playing it and now it crashes everytime I try to load my vault even after reinstalling and creating a new vault, so I took that as a sign to stop. Those stupid Vault residents probably all starved to death

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Setting Three Dog's sheer awfulness aside, why the hell would anybody expect him to appear in a completely different geographic setting.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

If we're really going to just have the player go mute and show subtitles after picking choices, it's going to be two mute people expositing dialog at each other with no real feedback for who is talking.

Because it's technologically impossible to write subtitles in such a way that indicates who's talking.

JOHN FALLOUT: Hello, I am mute.

DOORMAN: Nice to meet you. I, too, am mute.

JOHN FALLOUT: WHAT? WHO THE gently caress IS TALKING?! I'M COMPLETELY LOST!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I can't wait to get a sniper rifle and sneak everywhere!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

I can't wait to get a sniper rifle and sneak everywhere!

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Setting Three Dog's sheer awfulness aside, why the hell would anybody expect him to appear in a completely different geographic setting.

It's just over 400 miles. It's not like he's on another planet.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

JackBadass posted:

Because it's technologically impossible to write subtitles in such a way that indicates who's talking.

JOHN FALLOUT: Hello, I am mute.

DOORMAN: Nice to meet you. I, too, am mute.

JOHN FALLOUT: WHAT? WHO THE gently caress IS TALKING?! I'M COMPLETELY LOST!

If you don't feel like that would play like complete horseshit, then I guess your levels of acceptance are higher than mine, but I prefer a consistent experience over a hack-job. Again, it's a minute complaint.

I don't see why people keep trying to offer a solution for it when it's just going to be rear end.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I feel like we'll probably know exactly how it plays in a couple of months.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Which is why it's *so* important to argue about poo poo that won't matter in the end now, when it's still an unknown, and when the worst can safely be assumed.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

Which is why it's *so* important to argue about poo poo that won't matter in the end now, when it's still an unknown, and when the worst can safely be assumed.

Yes, it is the most fun now.

I mean, when it is out, we probably won't even bother posting because we'll be too busy playing.

I mean, the worst thing you can do is have really high expectations for the game and then when you begin playing it, it just ends up being disappointing because your expectations are too high.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mordaedil posted:

I mean, the worst thing you can do is have really high expectations for the game and then when you begin playing it, it just ends up being disappointing because your expectations are too high.

Because everyone knows, when you want to get hyped about something you want to go to SA! :v:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

Because everyone knows, when you want to get hyped about something you want to go to SA! :v:

I was honestly hoping to be the one hyped about the game, I hate playing the devil's advocate.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Mordaedil posted:

I was honestly hoping to be the one hyped about the game, I hate playing the devil's advocate.

...? What is going on? Is this the twilight zone? Do you feel like you have an obligation to whine about how you don't think the dialogue will be good?

Has Beth said anything about factions and stuff? What kind of groups are there in Boston?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bob NewSCART posted:

...? What is going on? Is this the twilight zone? Do you feel like you have an obligation to whine about how you don't think the dialogue will be good?

No, this is an Internet gaming forum. I don't even care about the dialogue system.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
Looking forward to doing a Kill Everything run in this. Hell I may even do that the first time I play. :smug:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I'm actually psyched about the voiced protagonist in this. After listening to interviews with the two main actors for the protagonist, I think it will actually be some good poo poo.

Between that, and the fact that me picking up random junk like some sorta crazy klepto actually having a benefit in fallout 4 ( as opposed to the previous 2 ) this seems like the fallout for me.

I just hope that the radio is good this time. Obsidian really picked some crappy songs for their run in New Vegas. I preferred Fallout 3's selection. At least if the radio is lovely, i can mod in good songs.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Talkc posted:

I'm actually psyched about the voiced protagonist in this. After listening to interviews with the two main actors for the protagonist, I think it will actually be some good poo poo.

Between that, and the fact that me picking up random junk like some sorta crazy klepto actually having a benefit in fallout 4 ( as opposed to the previous 2 ) this seems like the fallout for me.

I just hope that the radio is good this time. Obsidian really picked some crappy songs for their run in New Vegas. I preferred Fallout 3's selection. At least if the radio is lovely, i can mod in good songs.

b-b-but I've got spurs!! That jingle jangle jingle!!!

♪ jingle jangle ♫

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Cheap Shot posted:

♪ jingle jangle ♫

♪Play the guitar, play it again, my Johnny♪

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I will happily avoid the issue of mod quests being hot garbage by employing the same tactics I used to avoid them in Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim.

Just don't download and install mod quests, they're hot garbage.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Cheap Shot posted:

♪ jingle jangle ♫

That was one of the base songs i really liked. Otherwise i just ended up using some of the radio mods that had a lot of public access songs.

KiddieGrinder posted:

♪Play the guitar, play it again, my Johnny♪

Any time i had to listen to Johnny Guitar or Aint that a kick in the head, i wanted to put a bullet through the Courier's brain.

one on a bun
Oct 23, 2008
Stop arguing with that mordaeil guy and go back to being really credulous about those cream of plenty posts. That's what makes this thread worth it

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Sorry, I thought the screenshot made the point kind of clear, but I guess I could elaborate, ignoring other people complaining about me posting.

Essentially the only reason a dialog wheel works as a method of delivering dialog options for anyone at all is because there is going to be some performance of act behind it following a selection. If we're really going to just have the player go mute and show subtitles after picking choices, it's going to be two mute people expositing dialog at each other with no real feedback for who is talking. I guess quest mods were never all that great, but it's still a bit of a stick in the wheels.

But quest mods are already like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bholder posted:

But quest mods are already like this.

Yeah it's not that I'm disagreeing with the fact that silent everything and subtitles only and lovely amateur voice acting that is hit or miss at best isn't going to blow, but it's just kind of the norm for quest mods so what's the point of giving FO4 poo poo for it?

• Locked thread