Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google Chat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Just refuse to grant the contacts permission to the app when asked. You'll still be able to add people manually via phone number or whatever the app uses.

I'm positive this can be done with Whatsapp, because it's what I've done. I'm 90% sure it will work with Signal as well.

If you have an app that refuses to run without contact permission and you absolutely want to use it: install Insular and put the app in the work profile, and only put the contacts you want to share with the app in your work profile contact list.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

Bright Bart posted:

I already posted about this in another thread but this is more app related:

I am having problems with getting through to my sister when I need to because she has her WhatsApp messages notifications off or else she gets swamped she says. And calling is really expensive as we're on different continents.

Someone recommended Signal. But you can't add just one or two people. You'd have to block everyone else in your contacts list and that might be awkward.

Is there any IM app (ideally with voice calls but not necessarily) that you can add people without automatically showing up to every contact who also has your number? There were a few like AIM but they're not around anymore and I can't find anything on Google.

I don't know about WhatsApp, but I know with Signal you can mute individual chats or group chats, but still leave one on that you still want notifications from.

You can also make profiles on it that also controls which ones will have notifications and which chats won't.

Also, you can pin important chats to the top of the list.

Regretful Humming fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 28, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Signal only shows you the other signal users once you connect it. It also does it in a privacy preserving way - they don't actually ever upload your contacts list. It would be totally safe to try it out.

She should also mute the hell out of those whatsapp groups holy christ. This is less of an app problem and more a your sister needs help with her phone problem.

https://support.signal.org/hc/en-us/articles/360007061452-Does-Signal-send-my-number-to-my-contacts-

It is made to be private first, not Facebook notification spam first.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 28, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Signal just shows your contacts that are also on signal on your signal contacts list.
If you are afraid that they start compulsively spamming her on any platform as soon as they notice her there, get her better friends.

More productively, I had people recommending simplex as privacy fanatic chat option, though I haven't gotten around to trying it myself.
Wechat and Telegram are the other popular chat systems, each with their own problems.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

Signal just shows your contacts that are also on signal on your signal contacts list.
If you are afraid that they start compulsively spamming her on any platform as soon as they notice her there, get her better friends.

More productively, I had people recommending simplex as privacy fanatic chat option, though I haven't gotten around to trying it myself.
Wechat and Telegram are the other popular chat systems, each with their own problems.
if their friends add them automatically on signal that's a good sign if we're being honest (you both need to be on there and sms is depreciated)

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
You're not going to solve a person problem with technology. They need to learn how to manage messages and alerts on their phone or else you're just kicking the can.

"Overwhelmed" lol. How do these people manage life?

Comedy option use a chat app nobody in her circle has. Line? WeChat?

FunOne fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 28, 2023

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Ignore me. Dupe.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

FunOne posted:

There’s any number of reasons that something most or all of us find trivial to deal with might overwhelm someone else. OP says sister has/had medical/health problems. For all we know that’s related to her need to handle things this way. Honestly it’s kinda irrelevant though and giving a suggestion that boils down to “toughen up” doesn’t help.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FunOne posted:

You're not going to solve a person problem with technology. They need to learn how to manage messages and alerts on their phone or else you're just kicking the can.

My mom had a friend fly in from out of country, turn on her phone and it beeped non-stop for like fifteen minutes. She got some news app and every topic of dozens and dozens was set to beep when there was an update and turning them off required clicking on every freaking notification and toggling it off.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Uthor posted:

My mom had a friend fly in from out of country, turn on her phone and it beeped non-stop for like fifteen minutes. She got some news app and every topic of dozens and dozens was set to beep when there was an update and turning them off required clicking on every freaking notification and toggling it off.

Sounds like a great app to delete and never reinstall.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bright Bart posted:

I am having problems with getting through to my sister when I need to because she has her WhatsApp messages notifications off or else she gets swamped she says. And calling is really expensive as we're on different continents.

Someone recommended Signal. But you can't add just one or two people. You'd have to block everyone else in your contacts list and that might be awkward.

Is there any IM app (ideally with voice calls but not necessarily) that you can add people without automatically showing up to every contact who also has your number? There were a few like AIM but they're not around anymore and I can't find anything on Google.

Telegram, IG, WeChat, etc.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FunOne posted:

Listen to this post:

Branch Nvidian posted:

There’s any number of reasons that something most or all of us find trivial to deal with might overwhelm someone else. OP says sister has/had medical/health problems. For all we know that’s related to her need to handle things this way. Honestly it’s kinda irrelevant though and giving a suggestion that boils down to “toughen up” doesn’t help.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

As a suggestion to the post itself, what about a couples app like Between? My partner and I use it, and it is handy having a completely separate app just to communicate with one person.

Years ago we used Couple for the same purpose, but that app no longer exists.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Buy your sister an account with plat and just use it for PMs

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Signal is everything you need.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bright Bart posted:

Simplex or signal is probably what you want. Simplex has some advantages though as it doesn't require your phone number to sign up, and while it already doesn't start populating your chat list with your phone contacts (unless you explicitly set it to, it defaults to not), you can also create one off incognito profiles for your chats too so you can just blow out that profile and never contact that person or group chat again. You can also create more permanent profiles under the same user that can be blown out later too.

Simplex also does VoIP calls so that's a free way to contact your family member across continents (bandwidth allowing).

Keep in mind all your profile stuff lives only on your device so you need do a database backup to move phones or protect against losing everything if your phone is lost or stolen.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I apologize to the thread for being more blunt than is appropriate, but I'd like to note the original post does not imply any kind of issue other than "too many notifications."

I do stand by my point, this is something to tackle at the "managing notifications" level, not by "lets add additional apps" as I believe that'll lead you right back here in 3-6 months.

I've got several family members where I've had this same conversation, usually about WhatsApp, where the 'solution' is some version of "other people should know I'm busy and get too many notifications so I disabled them and they should call/sms/Signal instead" the cycle repeats for SMS or Signal in a few months, because people who want to get in touch figure it out.

Given that WhatsApp is already a known solution, maybe work through Androids Notification Channel settings and WhatsApp's own notification and mute settings to find a way to still get in touch when necessary without being blown up by family group chat all day.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 29, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

FunOne posted:

I apologize to the thread for being more blunt than is appropriate, but I'd like to note the original post does not imply any kind of issue other than "too many notifications."

That's fair, the context was in a different thread and I just assumed the OP cross posted that entire post, including those details. Also, though I pushed back, I do agree with the crux of your argument that figuring out how to better manage notifications will be the long-term solution.

It's honestly kinda wild to me that there aren't notification options that you can configure to where if greater than X number of notifications come from Y app inside of Z time limit to silence notifications with the exception of notifications generated by user A. I have a couple of contacts who tend to do stream of consciousness messaging and end up sending like 7 messages when 1 or 2 would have sufficed, which results in a barrage of notifications coming in.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I mostly want to scream that I can't make my phone screen not light up when the POS Samsung texting app gets a text. Or if you can it's buried as hell.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Thank you everyone who helped (or tried to help) with me and my sister's issue.

Simplex and Jami (which I learned about through Simplex's site) seemed promising. Signal has the mode posted above but it doesn't work for iOS which is what she uses. You can deny it access to your address book and presumably that means others won't be able to see you on in the Signal contacts; but this also means that you can't add anybody. You can only send an invite to a number you don't have to get Skype. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you can start a conversation with someone you just know the number of but don't have in the address book you permit the app to access.

If that fails, she suggested Threema. Which I hadn't heard of but sounds promising.

As for the talk of dealing with the problem at the source, I think that's a personal issue. My philosophy is that if it's easier to work around a problem than hitting your head against the wall doing things like playing IM app musical chairs, I just go with the easier approach. It wouldn't be some weird life lesson for us to get tougher or just put up with inconvenience/distractions. We both can handle very high stress environments. Doesn't mean we want to add more even if it pales in comparison. I understand that for some, this might be entirely unacceptable; that they wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing they have an app installed just to talk to one person instead of turning notifications on and learning to prioritize. But I do not grant that one method is superior to the other and I don't think it's cool to imply that one obviously is.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
More than anything I believe whatsapp is the worst offender overall. My wife had to install it for some elementary school group chat thing and it's just awful. Other apps at least pretend that you don't want them to rule your life.

Either way, enjoy kicking the can down the road if that makes you happy. My phone only makes noise for phone calls and alarms and that makes me happy. Even then I have contact group called "gently caress off" (very edgy, I know) which has a custom ring tone of "silent" I add companies to who insist on calling me but I also cannot make stop. (SCE, UHC are the top offenders.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

H110Hawk posted:

Even then I have contact group called "gently caress off" (very edgy, I know) which has a custom ring tone of "silent" I add companies to who insist on calling me but I also cannot make stop. (SCE, UHC are the top offenders.)

Dang, I only called mine "potential spam". I'm less creative!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

I mostly want to scream that I can't make my phone screen not light up when the POS Samsung texting app gets a text. Or if you can it's buried as hell.

Looking at the app settings, under Notifications, I have 3 options: Lock Screen, Badge, and Pop-Up. Maybe only selecting Badge will stop the screen from turning on?

I use Textra, so I can't say for certain if it'll work…

H110Hawk posted:

More than anything I believe whatsapp is the worst offender overall.

Well, it's owned by Facebook, so that's a given.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I got googled again with them deciding to nuke their podcast app. What do people like for a replacement? I'm okay looking at a paid app if it means I don't have to deal with in-app ads.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

I got googled again with them deciding to nuke their podcast app. What do people like for a replacement? I'm okay looking at a paid app if it means I don't have to deal with in-app ads.

I use YTM and frankly it sucks. Why it thinks if I play one podcast that when I'm done what I want is a random loving episode of another random loving podcast I do not know.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

Still using pocketcasts. But a real old version of it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Antennapod works for me. Don't know if it's missing super advanced features I wouldn't use anyway, but it's a good app.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
AntennaPod has been good for me. Pretty bare-bones but I don't need much for a podcast app.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Oh man don't use that, use Textra.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Ok

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

H110Hawk posted:

Still using pocketcasts. But a real old version of it.

I've been using pocketcasts forever. Long enough that I got grandfathered into a lifetime sub for it. Not sure if I'd recommend it without paying

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rap Game Goku posted:

I've been using pocketcasts forever. Long enough that I got grandfathered into a lifetime sub for it. Not sure if I'd recommend it without paying

I've never paid for it. Nothing in the paid sub seems game changing to me. It just works.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

H110Hawk posted:

I've never paid for it. Nothing in the paid sub seems game changing to me. It just works.

Same for me. They broke something a few years ago, but IIRC it was fixed fairly quickly. Or maybe I'm thinking of the other one I used to use which also had a red icon. Can't remember the name, though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

This isn't bad so far other than I wish the persons name was a little more prominent. I'm in a group chat with two people with extremely similar names, one is my wife. And the screen doesn't light up.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Antennapod gang

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

H110Hawk posted:

At the time I was using the web player a lot, not as much any more.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

This isn't bad so far other than I wish the persons name was a little more prominent. I'm in a group chat with two people with extremely similar names, one is my wife. And the screen doesn't light up.

I think there's quite a lot of change you can implement from the options but I haven't dived in for a long time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are there any apps that will let me see how some art will look on my wall? I have four small things to put up, and I'm not sure how I want to arrange them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Rap Game Goku posted:

i bought it over 10 years ago to support them during the amazon app store debacle. i haven't listened to a podcast yet but when i do i'll use pocket casts