Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

A paragon of anti-imperialism (that saber-rattles over a colony on the Iberian mainland):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Private Speech posted:

I knew you'd bring that up

Saint Helena?

this is getting a bit silly

e: wait actually St. Helena is in Africa, what's this about last colony (yeah I know canaries and azores)

I'm not sure it's accurate to call it part of Africa when it's 1200 miles off the nearest bit of Africa.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

fishmech posted:

I'm not sure it's accurate to call it part of Africa when it's 1200 miles off the nearest bit of Africa.

Which continent it belongs to then. It's 4000 km (2500 miles) away from the nearest part of mainland South America.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think it matters how far away these colonies are from the countries they belong to as long as the people who live there have their wishes heard and respected.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

kapparomeo posted:

I'm sure that France will join their Spanish friends in the spirit of a modern, progressive, united One Europe and echo Spain's plea to end centuries of imperial iniquity represented by Gibraltar and so also immediately withdraw from Guiana.

Nah, while the Brits are busy in their slapfight against the Spaniards, France will take over Jersey and Guernsey.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

kapparomeo posted:

I'm sure that France will join their Spanish friends in the spirit of a modern, progressive, united One Europe and echo Spain's plea to end centuries of imperial iniquity represented by Gibraltar and so also immediately withdraw from Guiana.
Considering that the situation in Guinea is that the locals are maintaining (they just refused a 1 billion € investment promise) a full strike to get their own Judiciary court (don't loving ask me why they don't have one yet, we are loving terrible at colonizing i swear), some french police force to help secure the place and a new prison, you may found out independence may not be exactly what they want, but sure let's have a referendum everywhere concerned if you want.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Toplowtech posted:

Considering that the situation in Guinea is that the locals are maintaining (they just refused a 1 billion € investment promise) a full strike to get their own Judiciary court (don't loving ask me why they don't have one yet, we are loving terrible at colonizing i swear), some french police force to help secure the place and a new prison, you may found out independence may not be exactly what they want, but sure let's have a referendum everywhere concerned if you want.

And in Gibraltar's last referendum on sovereignty 98% voted to remain a British territory. Can Spain be censured by the UN for its flagrant disregard for the principle of self-determination enshrined in its international charter?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

With a French veto thats unlikely

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

kapparomeo posted:

And in Gibraltar's last referendum on sovereignty 98% voted to remain a British territory. Can Spain be censured by the UN for its flagrant disregard for the principle of self-determination enshrined in its international charter?
Didn't they also massively voted to stay in Europe during the brexit vote? Look IDK just do a referendum again, so we can have a clear answer rather than a war? Hell, they could vote to remain outside both spain and england but as a new European country for all i care.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Toplowtech posted:

Didn't they also massively voted to stay in Europe during the brexit vote? Look IDK just do a referendum again, so we can have a clear answer rather than a war? Hell, they could vote to remain outside both spain and england but as a new European country for all i care.

What's more clear than 98%?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The referendums will continue to be held until correct result is produced.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pissflaps posted:

Not quite as high but they voted >96% to remain in the EU, too.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pissflaps posted:

Private Speech posted:

lol

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Private Speech posted:

They voted 96% for the UK to remain in the EU.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^^Clarity on what the locals want is clearly an enemy of the English crown. Let's point guns at each other instead. :wtc:

Pissflaps posted:

A new referendum having the same result. One that doesn't date from what? 2002? Like guys, i know you are afraid, but i will tell you a secret: there is no more European empires anymore. And if you guys keep it that way there won't be no more countries either.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 2, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Toplowtech posted:

^^^^Clarity on what the locals want is clearly an enemy of the English crown. Let's point guns at each other instead. :wtc:

A new referendum having the same result. One that doesn't date from what? 2002? Like guys, i know you are afraid, but i will tell you a secret: there is no more European empires anymore.

This is getting really bizarre now.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

This is getting really bizarre now.
Then stop worrying, it's just our way to celebrate the UK returns to its "assholes to everyone" status.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Toplowtech posted:

Then stop worrying, it's just our way to celebrate the UK returns to its "assholes to everyone" status.

Return?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

They stopped pretending they were in the EU when it please them to do so, so yes, full return. Aren't the roads from spain to gibraltar fully open without even a border fence at the moment btw?

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 2, 2017

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
The only possible solution for Gibraltar is to do a Singapore and declare independence from both the UK and the EU.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Toplowtech posted:

They stopped pretending they were in the EU when it please them to do so, so yes, full return. Aren't the roads from spain to gibraltar fully open without even a border fence at the moment btw?

Not exactly but it was the quickest border crossing of my life. And I was driving!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/arappeport/status/848612347711283200

So does anyone have any idea what 'outside distractions' means here, because I haven't the slightest clue what the hell he's talking about.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Office Pig posted:

So does anyone have any idea what 'outside distractions' means here, because I haven't the slightest clue what the hell he's talking about.
Well considering that the same country complaining about Russia hacking their elections, literally got caught hacking all parties' computers in France last cycle... anything? Also lol at "this was a war declaration from Russia" routine, Democrats. Are you trying to tell us something? :france:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm Spanish and personally this seems like it should be a non-issue, as the right to self-determination comes first. That's not a popular opinion here though. Allow me to provide some context:

Toplowtech posted:

Spain doesn't recognize the UK's territorial sovereignty over Gibraltar, since technically the Treaty of Utretch specifically said they had none (they only got to own the city and the port). Of course this treaty also said jews and moors shouldn't be allowed to live in Gibraltar and "infest" Spain's coast, so 300 years later you may wanna take it with a grain of salt. At any rate, the UK does claim territorial sovereignty as well as 3 miles' worth of territorial waters, which Spain doesn't accept.

Other noteworthy stuff: the land border was supposed to be closed according to the treaty, and it was only opened in 1985 since that was one of the conditions for Spain's EU membership. Of course now they want to push that issue.

And there's the fact that Gibraltar is currently a tax haven, and has more registered companies than inhabitants. Even if that wasn't the case, our conservative government isn't big on the right to self-determination, given Catalonia's separatist movement (and other smaller ones).

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

The only possible solution for Gibraltar is to do a Singapore and declare independence from both the UK and the EU.

On that note, there's this part of the treaty:

And in case it shall hereafter seem meet to the Crown of Great Britain to grant , sell or by any means to alienate therefrom the propriety of the said town of Gibraltar, it is hereby agreed and concluded that the preference of having the sale shall always be given to the Crown of Spain before any others.

Which I have no doubt Spain would bring up should Gibraltar attempt anything like that.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Let's settle Olivença while we're at it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Uh just in case I wasn't clear, I think Spain's push for a land grab is ridiculous and uncalled for. I was just trying to elaborate on why they're making it an issue in the first place.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The tories are always making GBS threads their pants about ghosts like that. Back during the chunnel discussions they thought it was a secret plan by France to reenact the napoleonic wars and invade the country.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Don't discuss the secret invasion plans in the thread, please.

Crossposting from the politically loaded maps thread:

Platystemon posted:

Make Doggerland Dry Again

Kassad fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 2, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Office Pig posted:

are we getting a false flag attack

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

are we getting a false flag attack

Maybe he is planning to drone-strike everyone except Le Pen?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/848588066172391424

"I'm not saying we should go to war, I'm saying we should do what we did with the Falklands"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

YF-23 posted:

"I'm not saying we should go to war, I'm saying we should do what we did with the Falklands"

Protect the civilian population from the military aggression of a foreign power?

Sounds eminently reasonable.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I love that diplomacy in the age of trump is conducted by retarded toddlers.I'm personally hoping for another war of Jenkins ear myself.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Elman posted:

Uh just in case I wasn't clear, I think Spain's push for a land grab is ridiculous and uncalled for. I was just trying to elaborate on why they're making it an issue in the first place.

I'm just loving with you, no one here gives a gently caress about Olivença. I think the last war we had should last us another generation at least before anyone raises war as a possibility without being pelted with rotten cabbage.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

YF-23 posted:

""I'm not saying we should go to war, I'm just conspicuously adjusting my codpiece in case our neighbors forgot the kind of people we are."

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Pissflaps posted:

Protect the civilian population from the military aggression of a foreign power?

Sounds eminently reasonable.

And it would have been, if he didn't couch it in terms of "we should show what kind of people we are" and "theresa may should make a show of strength just like thatcher did". He could have easily talked about this as something that Spain chooses to escalate, and hell, the journalist gave him an out by asking if he's saying "we should go to war if necessary" and he didn't take it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I can picture it already, spanish tanks crossing the border, masses of civilians in the streets waving british flags and the bloodlusting spanish indiscriminately open fire. A woman attempting to flee trips and loses control of her union jack stroller which is mercilessly crushed by a tank. Retirees seek shelter in a church and sing God Save the Queen while a swarthy mob piles bales of straw in front of the doors and windows and soak them in gasoline.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

I can picture it already, spanish tanks crossing the border, masses of civilians in the streets waving british flags and the bloodlusting spanish indiscriminately open fire. A woman attempting to flee trips and loses control of her union jack stroller which is mercilessly crushed by a tank. Retirees seek shelter in a church and sing God Save the Queen while a swarthy mob piles bales of straw in front of the doors and windows and soak them in gasoline.

I'm so close

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Senor Dog posted:

I'm so close

A lone monkey hops down the street, fleeing in terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

YF-23 posted:

And it would have been, if he didn't couch it in terms of "we should show what kind of people we are" and "theresa may should make a show of strength just like thatcher did". He could have easily talked about this as something that Spain chooses to escalate, and hell, the journalist gave him an out by asking if he's saying "we should go to war if necessary" and he didn't take it.

If Spain invades Gibraltar in the morning I don't think they could reasonably point to this interview with a washed up politician as being the start of hostilities.