Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Wangsbig posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/wangsbig im playing this game. very high skill

"Play with goons"

[video of everybody screaming at each other]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Nehru the Damaja posted:

"Play with goons"

[video of everybody screaming at each other]

Most goons are fine. Some goons are shitlords just like everyone else. THe solution is simple: Don't play with the bad goons.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There is a delicate chillgoon balance between the groups where no one says anything for the entire match then drop out at the end and the ragegoon groups where perfect play isn't just encouraged, it's enforced

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Torbjorn is OW's cancer

This post was originally meant to only address his turrets, but after playing a game against 6 Torbjorns, I'd also like to address the issue of hero stacking in OW. Hero stacking should NEVER be a viable option in my opinion, and I really hope Blizzard will put in a hero limit of 2 per team (2 so you arent completely locked out of you favorite because someone else picked it - a lot of people like Genji and Widowmaker)

Now for the turrets:
The problem I see is that it requires absolutely NO skill from the player. It will spot enemies for you, it will shoot for you and it never puts the player in any danger.. he can litterally just put up a new turret if it's shot down!
I used to be on the band-wagon of "f*** Bastion", but at least Bastion requires the player to know flanking positions to defend himself, actually requires minimum amount of aiming and spotting (i know, not much) and he puts HIMSELF in danger while doing all of this!
I have a few suggestions on how to change him, without completely breaking him. Only one of the changes should apply:
1. Give the turret a short lock-on window, so you can at least run past an opening without getting shot to pieces. It makes no sense that you should lose a poke duel to a turret -.-
2. Give the turret a 100-180 degree cone of fire, making it possible to actually flank the turret, while also demanding the Torbjörn player to defend his own turret from behind (while putting himself in danger).
3. Emphasize his scrap collecting. Atm, it seems rather pointless.. perhaps make it a requirement for his Molten Core or something (TBD). Again, that would put the Torbjörn player himself in danger and not just his turret.
4. Make it so the turret can only shoot heroes in Torbjörns own line of sight. This would make it so the player would need to know possible flanking positions. Obviously this would then require the turret to be better while firing since it would fire a lot less because Torbjörn would need to take cover from time to time.
5. And the least favorable: a damage nerf to the turret. It's the easiest, but would most likely also break the character.

Anyway, that's just some ideas off the top of my head. If you have any other suggestions or comments, feel free to post them. I'd like to hear other people's ideas :)

Inb4 "just pick widowmaker and hanzo and snipe it, dude", I just don't believe that's a valid excuse. I know Overwatch is meant to be played as a team, but I'm willing to bet that most people queue solo or with just one friend, which makes the tactical element a lot harder, since it's more difficult to call things out to your team and coordinate. Hero swap is a thing, but having to swap every 1 minute just seems idiotic, since you'd be throwing what Ultimate % you'd have built in that time.

Peace guys!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Verranicus posted:

Torbjorn is OW's cancer

This post was originally meant to only address his turrets, but after playing a game against 6 Torbjorns, I'd also like to address the issue of hero stacking in OW. Hero stacking should NEVER be a viable option in my opinion, and I really hope Blizzard will put in a hero limit of 2 per team (2 so you arent completely locked out of you favorite because someone else picked it - a lot of people like Genji and Widowmaker)

Now for the turrets:
The problem I see is that it requires absolutely NO skill from the player. It will spot enemies for you, it will shoot for you and it never puts the player in any danger.. he can litterally just put up a new turret if it's shot down!
I used to be on the band-wagon of "f*** Bastion", but at least Bastion requires the player to know flanking positions to defend himself, actually requires minimum amount of aiming and spotting (i know, not much) and he puts HIMSELF in danger while doing all of this!
I have a few suggestions on how to change him, without completely breaking him. Only one of the changes should apply:
1. Give the turret a short lock-on window, so you can at least run past an opening without getting shot to pieces. It makes no sense that you should lose a poke duel to a turret -.-
2. Give the turret a 100-180 degree cone of fire, making it possible to actually flank the turret, while also demanding the Torbjörn player to defend his own turret from behind (while putting himself in danger).
3. Emphasize his scrap collecting. Atm, it seems rather pointless.. perhaps make it a requirement for his Molten Core or something (TBD). Again, that would put the Torbjörn player himself in danger and not just his turret.
4. Make it so the turret can only shoot heroes in Torbjörns own line of sight. This would make it so the player would need to know possible flanking positions. Obviously this would then require the turret to be better while firing since it would fire a lot less because Torbjörn would need to take cover from time to time.
5. And the least favorable: a damage nerf to the turret. It's the easiest, but would most likely also break the character.

Anyway, that's just some ideas off the top of my head. If you have any other suggestions or comments, feel free to post them. I'd like to hear other people's ideas :)

Inb4 "just pick widowmaker and hanzo and snipe it, dude", I just don't believe that's a valid excuse. I know Overwatch is meant to be played as a team, but I'm willing to bet that most people queue solo or with just one friend, which makes the tactical element a lot harder, since it's more difficult to call things out to your team and coordinate. Hero swap is a thing, but having to swap every 1 minute just seems idiotic, since you'd be throwing what Ultimate % you'd have built in that time.

Peace guys!

Really I'd say a reduction to the turret's range would solve a lot of the issues with it(maybe increase the lock-on time as well), also I fully agree on hero stacking, although I think it should be a one per team limit(but add in an option to kick someone off a hero if they suck at it and refuse to switch)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Torbjorn is OW's cancer

Now for the turrets:

Peace guys!

Hes one of the two easiest champions to counter in the game. Cancer is McCree since he can deal with almost any situation by pressing E. I hope in the future you learn that a bad time in a game != cancer

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Really I'd say a reduction to the turret's range would solve a lot of the issues with it(maybe increase the lock-on time as well), also I fully agree on hero stacking, although I think it should be a one per team limit(but add in an option to kick someone off a hero if they suck at it and refuse to switch)

Congrats dude you're agreeing with some brain damaged rear end in a top hat from Reddit.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

drrockso20 posted:

They've already tried the one hero limit and it makes the game boring and lifeless.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

6 Torb's is insanely easy to counter though. Like it doesn't even require some specific team comp or a bunch of coordination, just get a couple Pharahs or Junkrats or Widows, or poo poo even Mei, or a couple Reins with basically anyone behind them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You'd think people would get copypasting by now.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dias posted:

Some people just can't resist the allure of owning the poo poo out of some ignorant person, even if the entire voice of what they've written is completely at odds with the rest of their posting and even the site they're on.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Dias posted:

Try countering Bastion Torbjorn as Hanzo, Genji or Widowmaker

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Dias posted:

Especially since it is literally every post Verranicus has made in the thread.

And :lol: at Torb turrets being overpowered. I am an incompetent scrub who can't aim and they're completely a non-issue.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 11, 2016

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

That's me. I am addicted to ownage.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
People always complain about Torb turrets because it gives them the feelsbads because apparently an incompetent AI shooting at you feels a lot worse than an incompetent person shooting at you for whatever reason.

If we're gonna balance based on feelsbads though then please remove Mercy's ultimate as it upsets me to get a sick quad feed and then immediately have all my hard work undone.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

They were some serious slam dunk owns to that copy paste.. too bad the owner has become the ownee!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lady Naga posted:

They've already tried the one hero limit and it makes the game boring and lifeless.

Don't really see how, every time I've seen more than one of the same hero on the same team it's ruined that game's balance in one form or another and just makes things frustrating

I will note that I'm playing on console(PS4 to be specific) so my experiences with this are probably different from most of you guys who are on PC

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Four or five Torbjörns on Hanamura A is still amusing to watch the enemy team wrestle against.

drrockso20 posted:

I will note that I'm playing on console

Ah,

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like my gimmicky 6 of a kind comp every now and then.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

drrockso20 posted:

Don't really see how, every time I've seen more than one of the same hero on the same team it's ruined that game's balance in one form or another and just makes things frustrating

I will note that I'm playing on console(PS4 to be specific) so my experiences with this are probably different from most of you guys who are on PC

feel free to make your own decision, but this outlines the arguments for and against it in practice pretty well

http://www.planetoverwatch.org/13-overwatch-tier-list-and-hero-meta-report-1-hero-limit-and-you

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

drrockso20 posted:

lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
has anyone done any testing on the turret AI in this game? i'm used to TF2 where it immediately snaps to whoever is closest to the sentry, but in this it feels like it locks onto someone and is pretty sticky, but still seems to retarget sometimes. I haven't been able to really test it but I figure other people have documented it somewhere

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Turrets are fine, and if you're Zarya, it's free charge for you. Cancer is Widowmaker, and she's going to be adjusted.......eventually.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If you have multiple Torbjorns, does one death drop scrap for each of them? I mean multiple Torbjorns is already pretty iffy since there's only so many effective turret spots so you're kind of eating each other's lunch (and also Torb is not that strong anyway), but if you have to share the scrap too then it's even worse than I thought.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dias posted:

I like my gimmicky 6 of a kind comp every now and then.

yeah we did 6 soldiers on attack for volskaya and it was funny as hell even though theoretically it should suck. it ended up working really well at first tho we struggled with Ob B when they went 2x winstons and luico but we came out ahead with a bunch of aimbot ults in a row.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Asimo posted:

Especially since it is literally every post Verranicus has made in the thread.

And :lol: at Torb turrets being overpowered. I am an incompetent scrub who can't aim and they're completely a non-issue.

Hey, I've made a few real posts!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I wish Torbjorn turrets had a slightly slower reaction time. They're annoyingly hard to plink down around a corner as Genji. Theoretically you should be able to pop out, fire, pop back into cover, but it always seems to nail me in the half second I'm exposed.

Also all Torbjorn teams can be surprisingly difficult to beat, but its mainly map dependent. Hanamura point A is a nightmare for this because of the complete lack of flanking routes.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 12, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cicadalek posted:

I wish Torbjorn turrets had a slightly slower reaction time. They're annoyingly hard to plink down around a corner as Genji. Theoretically you should be able to pop out, fire, pop back into cover, but it always seems to nail me in the half second I'm exposed.

If no one is shooting at you then you can angle yourself so you can hit the edge of the turret constantly and it can't even shoot back.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Alternatively, press the button that is explicitly designed to render you invincible to frontal assaults while also doing damage.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Reaper is excellent at taking out turrets. Wraith form directly up to it, blow it to pieces.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Behold the wonders of solo queue:

That's effectively 9 team wipes and the team still manages to lose.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Wraith Forming onto a turret seems like a wonderful way to die immediately after (or before) blowing it up and having the Torbjorn just put down another one since it's pretty rare for a turret to actually be in a dangerous place if it isn't close behind the other team. Engaging with Wraith Form is usually just a death sentence.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I also wish the turret would have a slight lock on time, specifically because more than once I've been flanking people, killed a couple and barely escaped with ~10 hp or so, and while i'm running away behind cover to find a medpack I get sniped by the drat thing. Usually the kill feed just shows the turret spot two pixels of me above terrain or something and just snipes that one bullet necessary to kill me through it all. No inaccuracy, no time delay, no margin of error. My lack of 100% perfect awareness of the turret's field of view cost me my life.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Lady Naga posted:

Alternatively, press the button that is explicitly designed to render you invincible to frontal assaults while also doing damage.

This won't do enough damage to kill the turret and it makes you incredibly vulnerable from every angle other than the front while doing it. Plus if you burn it on the turret you won't have it up for the angry Swede when he comes looking.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Torbjorn is one of my main classes and while I may be speaking from bias, the only people who have trouble with my turrets are the ones making mistakes, flanking my group solo or ignoring the sentry entirely. As a result, I always place turret where people will try to flank or in areas where you'll most often find people desperately trying to overextend like on points. The level 2 turret is basically a Soldier 76 with 100 more health that can't move. Treat it that way by respecting its range and realizing that as some classes, there's nothing you can do about it except help those who can.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Why are people seemingly attacking the turrets alone anyway do team mates not exist in these theoretical games???

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Lady Naga posted:

This is bad advice

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

flashman posted:

This is bad advice

What else would you do with it? Pocket it for that one situation where the most important thing to be attacking at the moment is a torbjorn turret yet also you are in danger of dying to something else in eight seconds and also nobody is around to help you out for some reason?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Why does widowmaker get hitscan, higher damage, AND an assault rifle secondary while hanzo literally only has arrows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lady Naga posted:

What else would you do with it? Pocket it for that one situation where the most important thing to be attacking at the moment is a torbjorn turret yet also you are in danger of dying to something else in eight seconds and also nobody is around to help you out for some reason?

well the turret does ~110 damage over the full Deflect duration and has 300 health so you aren't really going to scratch it with the reflected damage and then you no longer have one of your most powerful flanking escape tools. like sure if you're going to die to the turret use it, but Deflect's damage would actually be low enough for the Torbjorn to heal the turret through it and that's saying something