Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/873600926128504832

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I went to Super Potato in Japan in 2014, 2015, and 2016

As of 2016 there's basically nothing left, it's just a tourist destination now.

I went in 2015 and I didn't care that they didn't have many games. It was still cool as gently caress to go to the upstairs area and play all the arcade games. Plus they let you smoke indoors which is pretty novel as an american :911:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

brb moving to canada

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Code Jockey posted:

brb moving to canada

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/873601054226698242

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mac had best version of the original Might & Magic. Shame it was never ported.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ofecks posted:

I think it was more than "a few". Off the top of my head:

First two Toaplan 68k board series (Flying Shark/Twin Cobra/Truxton/OutZone)
Irem's m72 hardware (R-Type, Image Fight, etc. 55hz, looks jerky as gently caress on 60hz monitors)
Seibu SPI (Raiden Fighters)
1st-gen Cave (DonPachi, Air Gallet)
IGS PGM

Really, if you click through a lot of the weird hz values under "Refresh" in MAME UI variants, there are quite a lot of games that used them. In fact, I'd estimate that they are the rule rather than the exception.

e: I have failed, 60hz games are 4000+. Still more than a few, more like "several". :D

Not to mention the oddball 60+ hz games like Tetris TGM.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

wow :canada:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Now he's just pandering to the middle aged nerd demographic.

But I will admit that it is working.

al-azad posted:

Mac had best version of the original Might & Magic. Shame it was never ported.

I got a wacky idea to do a full playthrough of the Might and Magic series last month. I've never managed to finish 1, 2, or 9, so I thought since I'm going to have a ton of free time it would be kind of amusing to do. I was going with the C64 version but I was having trouble figuring out how to handle the character disk stuff with it so I jumped over to the DOS version. I haven't gotten a lot further than rolling up my party, though, since M&M1 is still from the "really punishing to get started" school of mid-80's RPG's.

I'm not sure I'll last that long, but I'm really looking forward to playing 3-5 again since I think that was the peak of the series...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 10, 2017

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

This is the best celebrity video-game tweet since Asuka from the WWE talked about her complete sets of Virtual Boy and Nintendo 64DD games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Now he's just pandering to the middle aged nerd demographic.

But I will admit that it is working.

I got a wacky idea to do a full playthrough of the Might and Magic series last month. I've never managed to finish 1, 2, or 9, so I thought since I'm going to have a ton of free time it would be kind of amusing to do. I was going with the C64 version but I was having trouble figuring out how to handle the character disk stuff with it so I jumped over to the DOS version. I haven't gotten a lot further than rolling up my party, though, since M&M1 is still from the "really punishing to get started" school of mid-80's RPG's.

I'm not sure I'll last that long, but I'm really looking forward to playing 3-5 again since I think that was the peak of the series...

Get a Mac emulator going and try it out. Having a mouse interface to do poo poo like inventory management is lifesaving, there's no blips or bloops to piss you off, and the art is redrawn and looks like an HD Tiger Electronics game or something.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Kid Fenris posted:

This is the best celebrity video-game tweet since Asuka from the WWE talked about her complete sets of Virtual Boy and Nintendo 64DD games.

what

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

END ME SCOOB posted:

This is actually the correct answer. It just runs at a nicer resolution.

The music is butchered and the music in Bubsy is nothing to talk about anyway.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

WWE's Asuka used to work in the games industry and she has an obscene game collection that she sometimes tweets about :
https://twitter.com/wweasuka/status/842138150470356993

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Seeing those SNES games reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. Is there any actual difference between SNES cartridges that look like this:

and ones that look like this without the recessed chunk on the bottom?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mak0rz posted:

Seeing those SNES games reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. Is there any actual difference between SNES cartridges that look like this:

No difference, but there are reasons for it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Holy poo poo I never knew this! That's fascinating, thank you.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Until today I thought the change was to make it easier to insert the cart.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Similart to the SNES lock is the Gameboy lock. Only the first model would lock the game in place when you switched it on, but they had to keep the little notch in the game carts until GBC became the standard.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Japanese Mega Drive model 1 likewise has a cart lock, which is why Japanese and reproduction carts have a notch missing on the left.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Woah that's neat!

Why the gently caress were so many people yanking the games out while the system was on? :psyduck:

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Because little kids don't think things through all the way. I would guess that as soon a a sub 7 year old wanted to play a new game he would just grab a new cart and yank the inserted one out without powering down the console. I know that's what I would have done because I have vivid memories of doing that to my poor Sega Genesis.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you didn't slam on the SNES' eject button as hard as possible then you didn't live. I think that's another hardware thing they tinkered with because I vividly remember being able to launch games clean out of the console.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

al-azad posted:

If you didn't slam on the SNES' eject button as hard as possible then you didn't live. I think that's another hardware thing they tinkered with because I vividly remember being able to launch games clean out of the console.

Actually, Sony is the company that perfected that tech. :v:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4YDXTr55-U

Lord Voultar brings us a great video of him repairing Doujindance Pcengine Duos. There will be glue...

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Actually, Sony is the company that perfected that tech. :v:

Ah, the old disc-to-shuriken converter. It's a shame that design flaw feature got removed in later versions.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

That's probably what my doujindance Duo-R looks like and I'm afraid to ever open it or power it on again. The bubble wrap is absurd but what's wrong with using epoxy or hot glue to keep the connections secure? It makes future modding work near impossible but it should be a set-and-forget kind of thing.

The guy talks about learning CAD and fabricating boards which interests me. I've used autoCAD a bit before but I have no idea how one would go about getting pcb boards printed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

The guy talks about learning CAD and fabricating boards which interests me. I've used autoCAD a bit before but I have no idea how one would go about getting pcb boards printed.

Oh hey, I've actually done that for class!

There are specific computer aided design (CAD) programs just for laying out PCB's, so not autocad. They take a list of components that you'll need on the board with the connections between them (usually taken from another CAD program because engineering software can never be user friendly) and let you place them down however you want and define the traces, through holes, pads that they connect to, and everything else. Once that's done there are two options: there are places that will take your file and do a proper PCB for you with all the acid etching done, or if you have a CNC machine and sheet of copper cladding on a PCB then you mill it out yourself by having the machine carve away the copper on the board. I'm sure there's a couple more options than that, but those are the methods that we've used. It actually doesn't cost that much to have a place make the PCB for you as a one-off.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Huh. I knew about the different cartridge styles, but didn't realize they had gone back and reissued earlier games with them, I'd always thought it was just a "games released after a certain date used the new cartridge style" thing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

univbee posted:

Huh. I knew about the different cartridge styles, but didn't realize they had gone back and reissued earlier games with them, I'd always thought it was just a "games released after a certain date used the new cartridge style" thing.

SMW was a packaged game and a number of other first-party titles were probably in print for the duration of the console's life. They wouldn't just go back to using an old shell mold for a cartridge just because a game was originally released before x date.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Presumably SMW and a number of other first-party titles were in print for a long time during the console's life. They wouldn't just go back to using an old shell mold for a cartridge just because a game was originally released before x date.

Yeah, that definitely makes sense, I guess in my youth I never thought about things like multiple print runs, and I never knew anyone who got SMW outside of in the launch bundle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think SMW is a unique case because it was a pack-in throughout the consoles life, so it was sold as new through both case revisions

E: beaten

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think SMW is a unique case because it was a pack-in throughout the consoles life, so it was sold as new through both case revisions

I think they dumped it when All-Stars came out for the bundle-exclusive All-Stars + World cart, but pretty sure SMW was sold separately due to the $99 gameless SKU of the console.

Man, remember when current consoles were $99? :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

I think they dumped it when All-Stars came out for the bundle-exclusive All-Stars + World cart, but pretty sure SMW was sold separately due to the $99 gameless SKU of the console.

Sure can! Six months ago when the NES Mini came out! :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

The last few years of the Wii before the Wii U came out?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Many games had at least two print runs because of the Player's Choice line.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

univbee posted:

Last Thanksgiving with the Amazon exclusive black and white Mario 3ds xl.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Last Thanksgiving with the Amazon exclusive black and white Mario 3ds xl.

REALLY sorry I missed that, hopefully there'll be something similar this year.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Zelda, F-Zero, and a few others also are available in both case styles.

I can't think of any third party SNES games that came out in both case styles, though.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Getting any Nintendo system without some kind of Mario was definitely not the norm. I did appreciate the Killer Instinct bundle when I needed a replacement SNES and got a cool new game that I didn't already have.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that felt mega gypped when Mario 64 was sold separately for $60. Even the fact that it only came with one controller bothered me.

I needed another replacement and got the SNES mini brand new for a cool $39 on sale when Toys R Us was clearing out the last run of them. I think the Genesis 3 got as low as $29 before it disappeared. $99 was awesome when they were more current, but getting any new console from a store for 20% of launch price will never happen again.

I'm still pissed I missed out on a cheap top loader NES since my old one was still technically working just barely. That's another one I know I'm not alone on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Zelda, F-Zero, and a few others also are available in both case styles.

I can't think of any third party SNES games that came out in both case styles, though.

Cursory glance, Actraiser has both styles.

• Locked thread