Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I love piloting the mech. It's so strong and can really pack a punch in a team fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Man, I dunno why Rexxar never clicked with me previously, but man is he clicking with me now.Just playing full coward with Rexxar and Animal Husbandry, I was contributing a ton to fights with my bear that had an extra 2k health.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Lprsti99 posted:

Man, I dunno why Rexxar never clicked with me previously, but man is he clicking with me now.Just playing full coward with Rexxar and Animal Husbandry, I was contributing a ton to fights with my bear that had an extra 2k health.

How does he work with vehicles? I've never seen it..

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

lucifirius posted:

How does he work with vehicles? I've never seen it..

Bear also despawns while he's in a vehicle, reappears next to him on exit.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I like to skim the official forums because I think it's a glimpse into what the masses care about moreso than Reddit. There are several fascinating posts complaining that the new AI is too good, especially on Beginner.

quote:

Being a longtime AI only player I used the game as a short relaxing release on some days. Loved collecting the heroes and seeing all the new mechanics behind them.

Ever since the AI change my enjoyment has pretty much tanked.

I think out of all the changes I hate the most is the AI's ability to know what I am doing skill shot wise the microsecond I do it. Add that to the inhuman reflexes and it's unerring ability to even know where you are when off screen or in fog of war and it's a mountain of frustration to a casual fun loving player like myself.

It had me today hovering over the option to just uninstall the whole Bnet client and walk away from Blizz games entirely.

Please tell me there are plans in the works for us players that just like having fun to have our fun back?

quote:

The beginner AI, however is irritating, it attempts to run from any danger(skillshots), even Chromie's W. Not even the old hardest bots dodged that.

When I tested on Haunted Mines, the enemy Recruit bots tried to get the Sapper camp as soons as it poped, what the hell, since when easy bots are supposed to make rushes or whatever?

quote:

The new AI is unimaginably retarded and completely ruins the fun of the game. They spam the everloving christ out of every escape move they have to get away when they're above 75% HP, they don't take any fights unless they have a very, VERY clear advantage or are on an objective. They are far too punishing and responsive to skillshot moves, you may as well just play Zul'jin or Butcher 100% of the time.

Here, you want to make the game fun? Change the response time the bots have on skillshots, change their unimaginable reaction speeds. I shouldn't have to feel like I'm playing against professional idiots. Yes, Professional -idiots-. I don't want the AI to be stupid, I want it to be entertaining. Right now? It's absolutely as far as it can be from entertaining, I might as well not play.

quote:

To be honest, part of me likes the new AI, except not at the current settings for "Beginner". It feels too frenzied, for lack of a better term. It seems as if I need to juice up on espresso or Mountain Dew to keep up, when compared to the pre-patch levels.

Forgive me, I'm trying to find the words to describe the sensation. More chaotic? Jerky? It feels like the game got kicked into "fast-forward".
Those are kind of LOL but this one gave me pause:

quote:

My two kids are having a similar problem to the OP and his wife.

Before there was "Beginner" level AI that would ignore you until you initiated something. Watching them play, it almost seemed as if their characters gained an unofficial stealth after not attacking for a few seconds. When brand new to the game, my younger kid would just sit on the map waiting to become the Garden Terror or the Dragon Knight, then cackle with glee when it happened.

Now both kids play a bit better, but the dynamics the OP describe regularly happen. It is frustrating and not fun.

The "Beginner" enemy team groups well and rotates lanes well. If either kid's hero is out of position, it gets pounced upon. That should definitely happen, but not at the very very lowest difficulty setting.

The "Beginner" enemy team pursues objectives much better. My kids are used to winning the map objective collection task unless their heroes are busy reviving. Now they fail the task about one-third of the time. That's not fun. Failing only one-sixth or one-tenth of the time might work to give value to trying hard. But one-third is too much -- on days they can play they only have time for one or two games per day, and now chances are neither game has them always win the objective so they miss that satisfied feeling.

Please re-instate the old easiest difficulty. You can call it "Wimpy" or "Dopey" and they won't mind at all.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
People who only play vs AI really are the worst.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Dude probably shouldn’t have birthed a couple of complete scrubs imo

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Lprsti99 posted:

No, we just like the game in a super casual way or suffer from some sort of anxiety/stress when interacting with people. Very rarely I'll play Gul'Dan in quick match when I'm feeling good about myself on a day though.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

blizzard the AI is moving around now, pls fix

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
You're a weirdo if you can't sympathise with "my kids used to love this game but now it's too hard"

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

peer posted:

You're a weirdo if you can't sympathise with "my kids used to love this game but now it's too hard"

It's not that, it's more that there are so many fulfilling and fun games out there for your kids that making them play a competitive MOBA in AI mode is... weird ?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I didn't read any "making them play" in the quoted post. Kids like weird things sometimes, they may legitimately like playing "The game Mom/Dad plays" on the level that they can.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mind over Matter posted:

I didn't read any "making them play" in the quoted post. Kids like weird things sometimes, they may legitimately like playing "The game Mom/Dad plays" on the level that they can.

This is the perfect opportunity for that guy to do some parenting and have them Git Gud.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

It's not that, it's more that there are so many fulfilling and fun games out there for your kids that making them play a competitive MOBA in AI mode is... weird ?

Maybe the kids like the blizzard art style and characters?

Kids aren't thinking about mechanics of a game, they want to play as good ol Jimmy

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Heroes of the Storm, much like Hearthstone, is a game for children.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

heroes of the storm has very simple gameplay, encourages/teaches cooperation, and features a ton of different playstyles

it also has a lot of customization, is free to play, and requires little immediate time investment

HOTS is probably one of the better options for kids atm as long as you remember to turn off Allied Chat

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just have the kids be easy, effective characters like Nova or Abathur and let them shine.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
When I was a kid all I played was SC1 custom maps, this doesn't seem so different.

The AI has become much more aggressive and less relaxing without getting substantially more difficult because they can't evaluate objectives well. Like Lucio AI and Sylvanas AIs are just pains in the rear end. I don't mind it but I can see why people would prefer the more passive, cow-like behavior of the old beginner AI.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 17, 2017

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I was like 13 I scammed people in trackmania and some weird F2P racing game.

Kids will get you if theres a firm hand in the parenting. I think the guy that let his kids sit in spawn to get the dragon or whatever should have CPS involved to help them git gud because holy hell.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm being facetious of course I don't think CPS should take his kids because he's not teaching them good tactics in HOTS but he definitely needs to be on some sort of watch list.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

peer posted:

His complaint was that his kids "miss that satisfied feeling" of winning the objective 100% of the time. Now, they lose it a third of the time. I don't sympathize or care much either way except to say that it's a little odd to complain about it on the official forums.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

i play only against AI because it's fun.

it's like playing a silly game on your phone to pass the time. you're not "winning" against anyone, but it's still fun to play.

not everyone wants to be competitive all the time.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
That guy's kids should play with tcjimbo

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The best part of playing with tcjimbo is that I'm usually drunk / high as hell but I just say I don't have a mic but will listen on discord

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
goddamnit i just want to poo poo up a second game as hanzo already

C'MON BLIZZ HURRY UP :argh:

Edit: also, I tend to play only AI games when I'm by myself. I don't enjoy moba PVP with stupid pubbies and I just tend to grind quests/levels, so AI works fine. When my girlfriend wants to play, though, I'm fine with PVP since I have at least one other person I can count on and communicate with.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 17, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The AI unerringly dodging skillshots is the part that irritates me the most. I don't need them to blunder into 99.9% of spells like before but now with stuff like Kel'Thuzad's W they'll instantly nope out of the full radius pretty much every time.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

The AI unerringly dodging skillshots is the part that irritates me the most. I don't need them to blunder into 99.9% of spells like before but now with stuff like Kel'Thuzad's W they'll instantly nope out of the full radius pretty much every time.

kel'thuzad always lands his chains and sylvanas will always manage to banshee away at 1hp. it's definitely something i've noticed as well and it's annoying.

i haven't played stukov in a while so i'm not sure if they still dodder about in his lurking arm. that was always funny.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Did those AI changes go live recently? I've been getting into this to try and scratch the LoL/DOTA itch without having to figure those games out all over again, and the bots seem a lot dodgier than the other players, at least at my level.

I was playing Kael-Thas and his Q felt really unreliable against them unless the terrain was nice and favored it.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Trip report: despite my previous misgivings over chromie, I got the urge to give her another try. It took me a while, but I finally started getting the hang of her skillshot. In the last game I played I managed to complete the 60-hit quest by the 9 minute mark and after level 20 I could delete tanks in two hits.

The three things that made the difference for me were (1) hiding behind terrain and using my vision skill to line up surprise hits; (2) getting better about dropping time traps at choke points and waiting to ambush/lure people into them, and (3) using temporal loop then using it offensively to line up skillshots (I had been following the icy veins guide that recommended the sand heroic).

I hope this helps someone.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

kel'thuzad always lands his chains and sylvanas will always manage to banshee away at 1hp. it's definitely something i've noticed as well and it's annoying.

i haven't played stukov in a while so i'm not sure if they still dodder about in his lurking arm. that was always funny.

Junkrat bot will also automatically detonate his mine the instant you touch it even if he accidentally left it a mile across the map and doesn't have vision of you. Edit: Oh, mine does give vision. But still an inhuman reaction time on that thing.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 18, 2017

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I sometimes play this game with my 8 year old nephew. It boggles my mind that, given how much time he spends gaming, he can still be a huge liability even against medium bots. Kids are really dumb and bad at video games, but I suppose they should be allowed to play.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

I dunno, i'm super garbage at kelthuzad so played some AI games with him to get him to 5 and didn't notice any crazy dodging. maybe it's only certain characters though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Specifically post-Alex patch?

The AI does have some odd variation to it that I haven't been able to put my finger on, so maybe it is an issue of old bots vs. new bots. Because hand in hand with the frustration with them zipping out of the way of certain skillshots I've about as often had cases where I had to double check what difficulty they were because I'd roll up to Adept bots and they'd start acting like Beginner ones and just eat poo poo.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 18, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

peer posted:

I started playing Starcraft when I was like 5, dude's been raising his kids wrong. :colbert:

Strontosaurus posted:

I sometimes play this game with my 8 year old nephew. It boggles my mind that, given how much time he spends gaming, he can still be a huge liability even against medium bots. Kids are really dumb and bad at video games, but I suppose they should be allowed to play.

There's something about DotA styled games that just makes people retarded. My older brother is a top of the line computer scientist who does work I couldn't even begin to comprehend, and yet "don't face check smoke vents" is a concept beyond his grasp. :v:

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i play only against AI because it's fun.

it's like playing a silly game on your phone to pass the time. you're not "winning" against anyone, but it's still fun to play.

not everyone wants to be competitive all the time.

It baffles me because when you get right down to it, HotS is a pretty awful game. You could spend your time playing one of thousands of much better designed single player games that are available for free, but you're choosing to play this. I have played games in this genre for over half of my life and I don't understand the appeal of playing an RTS with one unit and zero macro strategy. I don't know why you'd want to raise your kids to play them. I'd never touch the genre if my friends weren't all so obsessed over it. :shrug:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 18, 2017

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like my IQ drops 10-20 points whenever I play. I guess its because theres a lot going on during fights and its easy to make a boneheaded mistake. poo poo hits the fan really fast and somewhat unpredictably too. Theres also a bit of stress involved for some people which makes them dumb. MOBAs aren't really "smoke one and chase the dragon one handed" type of games.

SCtrumpHaters fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 18, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What are the 'new laning mechanics' people are talking about.

Edit:phoneposting

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 18, 2017

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What are the 'new laning mechanics' people are talking about.

Edit:phoneposting

Globes can be picked up by both teams during the final two seconds before they disappear and towers and forts won’t have finite ammo anymore.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Star posted:

Globes can be picked up by both teams during the final two seconds before they disappear and towers and forts won’t have finite ammo anymore.

So pushing is... Weaker?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So pushing is... Weaker?

No. It means you actually HAVE to push in order to get anything done, because you can't just run the towers out of ammo by pushing minions up to them and then loving off.

The globe change means that if you can dominate a lane then you get more health globes, giving you more sustain.

Also, to correct the globe thing mentioned above: Globes last 8 seconds now. The first 4 seconds they can only be picked up by the appropriate team. The last four seconds they can be picked up by anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So pushing is... Weaker?

A bit but in some ways more important than ever. Winioning is weaker so more often you need to have someone present helping (or have good mercs) to push forts and towers.