Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

I don't know about netjets but it's pretty common to have group ownership of a plane.

It's common to own horses too, doesn't mean it's GWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

NancyPants posted:

At a certain wealth threshold you might argue that flying on a private plane is worth the speed and convenience you can't get out of a commercial air travel at any price. And for most people even in that category leasing time on a private plane is going to be more cost effective than owning or leasing one outright.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 17, 2018

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

BattleMoose posted:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/former-anz-boss-tracey-lee-cook-sentenced-over-300k-scam/news-story/b40a62ee77d472f77dace89dd7950ec6

This is such a beautiful combination of being very BWL and BWM. Household income 500k+ so she steals 300k+ from her employer and gets jailed.

This is similar:

https://abovethelaw.com/2017/11/biglaw-associate-fired-when-her-husband-pleads-guilty-to-insider-trading/

quote:

According to the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s Office, Yan used inside information about Linklaters client Sibanye Gold’s $2.2 billion acquisition of Stillwater Mining in 2016 to buy stock options in Stillwater. His wife had worked on the Sibanye transaction. Yan then off-loaded his stock options on the day the deal was announced, for a profit of more than $100,000.

Just in case you're wondering salary wise, these two were grossing 300k at the absolute low end.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Harry posted:

This is similar:

https://abovethelaw.com/2017/11/biglaw-associate-fired-when-her-husband-pleads-guilty-to-insider-trading/

Just in case you're wondering salary wise, these two were grossing 300k at the absolute low end.

Jesus. Imagine what the smart crooks are getting away with.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Nocheez posted:

Jesus. Imagine what the smart crooks are getting away with.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:lol:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

NancyPants posted:

Oh yeah, my point was just that a "timeshare" for a plane isn't like a real timeshare. Obviously if you can't afford to fly then it's bwm but because of the high cost and time commitment of getting a pilot's license, I think that usually excludes people who really can't afford it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

lmao

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

:perfect:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Given my personal experiences with family owned businesses, I can safely say all of those can be assumed guilty of breaking multiple tax/hiring laws until proven innocent.

Needless to say when you climb up more on that job creators pyramid

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Palladium posted:

Given my personal experiences with family owned businesses, I can safely say all of those can be assumed guilty of breaking multiple tax/hiring laws until proven innocent.

Needless to say when you climb up more on that job creators pyramid

I've seen it work a bit differently. Small busineesses are an absolute shitshow of tax fraud, terrible bookkeeping, no controls, etc. No one pays attention in any real sense, including tax authorities

When they get into the medium sized enterprise space and start introducing institutional financing, auditors and such swoop in an make sure everything is to the letter of the law. There's somewhat more scrutiny here and straightforward violations can often trigger enforcement so better safe than sorry.

Then once the company becomes substantial and influential itself, legal questions become more flexible again and are really more of a starting negotiating point for lawyers and lobbyists than absolute rules. At this point all of the executives are effectively insulated from real penalty by layers of lawyers and prosecutors/regulators who don't want to upset the industry.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I've seen it work a bit differently. Small busineesses are an absolute shitshow of tax fraud, terrible bookkeeping, no controls, etc. No one pays attention in any real sense, including tax authorities

When they get into the medium sized enterprise space and start introducing institutional financing, auditors and such swoop in an make sure everything is to the letter of the law. There's somewhat more scrutiny here and straightforward violations can often trigger enforcement so better safe than sorry.

Then once the company becomes substantial and influential itself, legal questions become more flexible again and are really more of a starting negotiating point for lawyers and lobbyists than absolute rules. At this point all of the executives are effectively insulated from real penalty by layers of lawyers and prosecutors/regulators who don't want to upset the industry.

Didn't Dodd-Frank make C-level executives responsible again for their company's financial reports? Like they couldn't just say, "I didn't know". At least as easily or effectively as before.

Although, I don't know how much of that the GOP has repealed. Probably most of the good stuff.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Didn't Dodd-Frank make C-level executives responsible again for their company's financial reports? Like they couldn't just say, "I didn't know". At least as easily or effectively as before.

Although, I don't know how much of that the GOP has repealed. Probably most of the good stuff.

Sarbanes Oxley did that, lot of good it did in 2008 thanks to aforementioned regulatory capture. Dodd Frank may have added some teeth on paper, but in practice...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sarbanes Oxley did that, lot of good it did in 2008 thanks to aforementioned regulatory capture. Dodd Frank may have added some teeth on paper, but in practice...

I get my symbolic, but largely useless laws mixed up. Sarbanes Oxley was in response to stuff like Enron and WorldCom. Dodd-Frank was because of Lehman's and AIG.

The Guillotine Act of 2024 will probably have something to do with Facebook.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

Oh yeah, my point was just that a "timeshare" for a plane isn't like a real timeshare. Obviously if you can't afford to fly then it's bwm but because of the high cost and time commitment of getting a pilot's license, I think that usually excludes people who really can't afford it.

Netjets isn't like that at all. The time you are paying for is inclusive of pilots and cabin crew. One of my friends is a stewardess for them and has mentioned when shes had trips with "Uncle Warren".

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Krispy Wafer posted:

Sarbanes Oxley did that. One of the first people charged because of it joined an all black church, got a black lawyer, and made sure to get a black majority jury. I believe the lawyer compared it to a government funded lynching as well. He was acquitted while all his executives plead guilty and took a deal.

Harry fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 18, 2018

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

:yikes:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

I get my symbolic, but largely useless laws mixed up. Sarbanes Oxley was in response to stuff like Enron and WorldCom. Dodd-Frank was because of Lehman's and AIG.

The Guillotine Act of 2024 will probably have something to do with Facebook.

SOX isn't even something all companies have to be compliant with. I worked for a privately-traded company that was wanting to go public, and a big thing was trying to get SOX-compliant.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

SOX isn't even something all companies have to be compliant with. I worked for a privately-traded company that was wanting to go public, and a big thing was trying to get SOX-compliant.

Which makes perfect sense if you consider who SOX was meant to protect it's shareholders.

Watching a hundred billion dollars in wealth disappear down the trash fires that were WorldCom and Enron gets people's attention. Heck, WorldCom died around 2003 and their former CEO is still in prison.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

NancyPants posted:

I see your time-share horse and raise you a time-share private jet:

https://www.netjets.com/en-us/programs

Purse Forum!!!

eta: You guys, I think I hit pay dirt: Coach purse banme thread

It just keeps getting better

I worked at NetJets and it's bad with money on both sides. The salespeople will give away anything to make a sale - free hours, lower rates, free jet upgrades - so most sales are break even for the company. The company is Buffett's worst investment.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

employers steal a lot

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

an actual dog posted:

employers steal a lot

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

an actual dog posted:

employers steal a lot

Interesting chart, would like to see the sources for it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cicero posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/7ebdyu/billions_of_dollars_stolen_every_year_in_the_us/dq3rtgk/

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Cicero posted:

Here's more. About a billion recovered every year, yet structures to recover stolen wages are being gutted, and there's so many other reasons a worker would not report this happening.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My job at the HQ of a Fortune 50 company has lots of blurbs and FYI's on various display monitors on every floor. One was a hypothetical question from an employee who reported a problem with their manager and had their hours cut. The response was to never be afraid to report concerns. Notice the lack of, 'and report any malfeasance or retaliation' or 'we'll back you up.' And sure, maybe it's just an omission.

Not saying that company's name because it's my livelihood. But at AT&T, they had a policy where you got your prorated yearly bonus no matter when you left the company. So if you quit on January 2nd, you'd only get 1 day's worth of bonus money, but you still got it. That's pretty incredible. Like I've never seen a policy so comprehensive. There's no way AT&T wasn't caught laying people on December 30th to get out of paying that year's bonus and had to overcompensate by agreeing to pay bonuses no matter when you separated from the company. Not a chance.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

an actual dog posted:

Here's more. About a billion recovered every year, yet structures to recover stolen wages are being gutted, and there's so many other reasons a worker would not report this happening.

Well duh, why should the government spend time recovering money for poor people? It's not as if the lower middle class and poor drive the most spending and it could even decrease reliance on welfare programs or anything. If they don't like it, these people who make less than minimum wage should use some of their sleeping and commuting time to just sue their employers.

ETA: real statement heard from a college student regarding the wage gap: "it's been illegal to pay men and women different wages since the 60s, they're full of poo poo."

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 18, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

My job at the HQ of a Fortune 50 company has lots of blurbs and FYI's on various display monitors on every floor. One was a hypothetical question from an employee who reported a problem with their manager and had their hours cut. The response was to never be afraid to report concerns. Notice the lack of, 'and report any malfeasance or retaliation' or 'we'll back you up.' And sure, maybe it's just an omission.

Not saying that company's name because it's my livelihood. But at AT&T, they had a policy where you got your prorated yearly bonus no matter when you left the company. So if you quit on January 2nd, you'd only get 1 day's worth of bonus money, but you still got it. That's pretty incredible. Like I've never seen a policy so comprehensive. There's no way AT&T wasn't caught laying people on December 30th to get out of paying that year's bonus and had to overcompensate by agreeing to pay bonuses no matter when you separated from the company. Not a chance.

AT&T has unions

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

an actual dog posted:

AT&T has unions

This was management, so it would have nothing to do with represented employees.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Only ten spots left, guys. Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime...

oh wait, there's another one next week.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Bad With Money 2018: Maybe I could pay the accountant in leggings

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
They have a serious problem 😂😂😂

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Ulf posted:

They have a serious problem 😂😂😂

Yeah they spent thousands of dollars on inventory for a fad MLM business and got left holding the bag

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Sundae posted:

Only ten spots left, guys. Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime...

oh wait, there's another one next week.

I feel like with enough malfeasance, there's room for personal gain creating something along the lines of TrumpCoin/PepeCoin/AR-15coin/Southerncoin and marketing it to lovely people.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

You're a little late.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
BWM: not paying for the legal fees of people that might testify against you:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/18/politics/gates-manafort-plea-deal/index.html

quote:

Gates has told associates he had hoped for outside assistance from a legal defense fund, but deep-pocketed GOP donors have shown little interest in helping either Gates or Manafort cover their legal fees, two sources said.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

So does anything with the word "horse" just get posted automatically now regardless of it being funny or an example of people being bad with money

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Enfys posted:

So does anything with the word "horse" just get posted automatically now regardless of it being funny or an example of people being bad with money

Are you all butt hurt because bwm horses died after farting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Some crazy lady is posting about paying an accountant in leggings, but half the thread never notices any actual content anymore because they are constantly tripping over themselves to remind each other that horses exist and that many years ago, Ruddha made a funny post