Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Krispy Wafer posted:

Dark Helmet said it best. Good is dumb.

BFZ is struggling to keep the lights on, Vegas has fighter jets.

Really only Stu seems to not pick up at all. Franny breaks into his place and hides her feelings, Larry comes away from their meeting skeeved out after thinking he would be different than what he was, and Nick and everyone else openly says there’s something wrong with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

nate fisher posted:

I want King to go back to the club again for a story (The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands is the only other story from the club).

I could have sworn that there was at least 3 or 4 of his short stories that start at the weird story club with the eternal butler. How does their slogan go? It is the tale, not he who tell it? Or something along those lines.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Zombie Guy posted:

I could have sworn that there was at least 3 or 4 of his short stories that start at the weird story club with the eternal butler. How does their slogan go? It is the tale, not he who tell it? Or something along those lines.

Yes that is the slogan. I did check wiki and it is saying only 2 stories occur at the club. There is some mention that the club might be located in the Dark Tower.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m staying at a motel for work this week and it keeps making me think of All That You Love Will Be Carried Away. God drat did that story nail the feeling of traveling for work.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I like that one a lot. Is that the same collection as That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is In French? That story gave me the shits.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Teach posted:

Yeah, I like that one a lot. Is that the same collection as That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is In French? That story gave me the shits.

Yep, they’re both in Everything’s Eventual. Looking back, that collection is up there with Skeleton Crew. So much of it is really fantastic.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

nate fisher posted:

Yes that is the slogan. I did check wiki and it is saying only 2 stories occur at the club. There is some mention that the club might be located in the Dark Tower.

It’s the storefront cafe. I just read Different Seasons for the first time too, and yeah The Breathing Method stood out over the others. The synopsis really doesn’t do it justice and the club’s motto is especially apt for this tale. Like, “spooky pool table” sounds pretty loving goofy, but becomes downright sinister within the context of the short story.

I’m surprised Ur didn’t have a callback to BM. That device seemed very much like a digitized version of the club’s library.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yep, they’re both in Everything’s Eventual. Looking back, that collection is up there with Skeleton Crew. So much of it is really fantastic.

Interesting. That was probably my least favorite short story collection.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I’m staying at a motel for work this week and it keeps making me think of All That You Love Will Be Carried Away. God drat did that story nail the feeling of traveling for work.

It was my favorite of the book and the one that stuck with me the longest, that's for sure. Being profoundly depressed and unmedicated when I read it probably had a lot to do with it though lol

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

There's a fun hashtag on Twitter tonight:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/NiceUpStephenKing?src=hashtag_click

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This is good stuff and after another rough day at work it's making me feel better. So many of these are super clever. Thanks!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I just caught up with the latest season of Mr Mercedes which was really good despite not having Mr Mercedes in it much. The new antagonists were very good and each death topped the last. Probably is my favourite adaptation of King's books in recent years.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

nate fisher posted:

I re-read Different Seasons for the first time in 25 years. Now during those 25 years I have re-read The Body and Shawshank, but never the whole thing during that time. Still great overall, but my favorite story this time was The Breathing Method. I want King to go back to the club again for a story (The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands is the only other story from the club). Hell I want to join the club now.

Huh, I thought the club shtick was a one-off. I'll have to look this one up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Octy posted:

I just caught up with the latest season of Mr Mercedes which was really good despite not having Mr Mercedes in it much. The new antagonists were very good and each death topped the last. Probably is my favourite adaptation of King's books in recent years.

I was delighted to see the first two seasons available for purchase on Amazon, that show was needlessly difficult to actually get to watch because AT&T was pushing that dumb audience network thing so hard. Partway into the first season now and it’s great.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm halfway through season 2 and I'm finding it a hard slog.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

I'm halfway through season 2 and I'm finding it a hard slog.

Yeah, I didn't much like season 2 either but things pick up towards the end.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So... IT: Chapter 2 was...good?

I watched it last night and enjoyed it pretty well. I can see how some people had a problem but I really enjoyed it. Weird how it just came and went after the hype and success of the first one and how many people saying it sucked.

I thought it's only drawback was being not quite as good as the first one but I really liked both movies

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BiggerBoat posted:

So... IT: Chapter 2 was...good?

I watched it last night and enjoyed it pretty well. I can see how some people had a problem but I really enjoyed it. Weird how it just came and went after the hype and success of the first one and how many people saying it sucked.

I thought it's only drawback was being not quite as good as the first one but I really liked both movies

Regarding both films, my big nitpick was ... the kids' section is set in 1989, and not a single person is wearing a Batman shirt? C'mon, that poo poo was ubiquitous back then!

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I thought the gay couple stuff at the beginning was really gross. is it redeemed after?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

papa horny michael posted:

I thought the gay couple stuff at the beginning was really gross. is it redeemed after?

I mean ... define gross, because I think it's definitely supposed to be uncomfortable and I don't feel like I can judge it beyond that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Chapter 2 was pretty good, just not as good as the first. I think part of the problem was that everybody knew what to expect from Pennywise this go-around.

Davros1 posted:

Regarding both films, my big nitpick was ... the kids' section is set in 1989, and not a single person is wearing a Batman shirt? C'mon, that poo poo was ubiquitous back then!

The marquee at the theater shows Batman and Lethal Weapon 2 are playing.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

papa horny michael posted:

The attack that happened on screen was basically how it happened in the book. In fact, that was the opener to the book, wasnt it? But yeah, overt gay bashing on screen in 2019 is super gross and shocking, but I think that was the point since pennywise was the driving force behind the assault and people's indifference to it.

The attack isnt really addressed in any way. The only possible "redemption" regarding LGBTQ representation the movie is that it is revealed that Richie is gay/bi/pan etc and was in love with Eddie at the very end

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The book opens with the aftermath of the attack on the gay couple, with the group who started it getting blamed for the murders instead. Considering the town itself gets destroyed in the book and tons of people get killed by collateral damage they might have not made it out alive either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I mean ... define gross, because I think it's definitely supposed to be uncomfortable and I don't feel like I can judge it beyond that.

I mean, yeah, it was absolutely presented as evil, mean, gross, etc. So "IT" basically. I didn't find it gratuitous for the sake of it and thought it was much like the opening scene in Chapter 1 where Georgie gets his loving arm ripped off and is dragged into the sewers. You're meant to be revolted, scared and shocked and I had equal revulsion to both openings.

More on IT:C2

I thought they did a good job blending the mystical (sometimes bullshit) elements of the book into the previously established story and using Mike as a catalyst/narrator. The adult actors were really good and the way they wove in the flashbacks and the individual set pieces (totem quests) were some of the best parts of the movie and I wondered why people didn't think it was creepy enough. I got creeped out plenty. The pacing was good and I was never bored but some of the CGI came off as iffy.

Unlike most, I didn't find Bill Hader all that great and was left wondering how most reviews said he stole the show. I didn't care for grown up Eddie either (hello Ziggy from the Wire!) and thought both characters were over acted and too over blown but towards the end of the movie I let it sink in that they were regressing to their childhood personas in order to do the fight again so I was able to let it slide. Loved Ritchie's grown up line about "he doesn't write his own jokes" and when he told Eddie that he was braver than he thinks. Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy and Jay Ryan were terrific

But the comedic bits didn't land for me in C2 the way they did on C1 and the story brushed way too close to cornball poo poo at times and I rolled my eyes more than once. I was disappointed by IT's final SpiderClown form but what are you gonna so? All that poo poo is from the book and really hard to translate on screen. Reminded me of the Watchmen movie in a sense: faithful to the material but held back by it at the same time.

I think there was more poignancy in IT than might be obvious and thought that the some of the messages about letting go, moving forward and that forgetting the bad things that have scarred you is harder than remembering the good thing that happened to you. They did a good job with IT and I think the 2 films back to back would make for a good Halloween double feature. The ending/epilogue was on the long side but I caught a smile for remembering that I recognized the window reflection part of the trailer was missing 2 characters.

I give the first one an A- and part two a B+. Good stuff.

It's not perfect and C1 WAS better but for those who say it wasn't scary...it's gonna be a minute before I let my kid watch it at least. Not sure what I'd do different tbh.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 12, 2019

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

There are lots of things I liked about IT2 but the goofy poo poo like the scene in the pharmacy basement, or the way they defeated Pennywise, were really stupid and I'm not surprised if people can't get over those to like other parts. I thought it was OK but I doubt I'd ever watch it again.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ziggy was absolutely perfect as grown up eddie, best performance in the movie imo

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://twitter.com/FamousCeleb/status/1204824723491676160

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
And everyone thinks "Hang On Sloopy" is the epitome of hard driving rock.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

ziggy was absolutely perfect as grown up eddie, best performance in the movie imo

I dont know if I can say with impartiality that Ransone was amazing because I thought that his casting after Ziggy and Ray from "generation kill" was easily my favorite decision ahead of the movie, so I may have had some rose tinted glasses on, but ditto. I thought he did the best of the grown up losers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah, I got used to it like I said. I thought grown up RItchie and Eddie were a little annoying and over acting until I bought into the idea that they were regressing or rediscovering who they were as kids in the attempt to re-band and then it made more sense.

Eat This Glob posted:

I dont know if I can say with impartiality that Ransone was amazing because I thought that his casting after Ziggy and Ray from "generation kill" was easily my favorite decision ahead of the movie, so I may have had some rose tinted glasses on, but ditto. I thought he did the best of the grown up losers.

I gave it to Chastain. I need to watch Generation Kill.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 12, 2019

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Chastain was my easy #2; I thought she was fantastic as grown up Bev. I dont know that I've seen much of her stuff before.

Ransone absolutely stole the show in Generation Kill imo. He and Pennywise's brother (Alexander Skarsgard) were great.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

chicken in the barn whose barn my barn, yep rock and roll is pretty okey dokey

Having re-listened to the audiobook lately, it makes me dislike Chapter 2 a little more. I need the crazy psychedelic mushroom poo poo and King gleefully tap-dancing across the entire city's grave at the end, but we're never gonna get that in movie/miniseries format.

also, goddamn does the smoke hole, Derry interludes, and horrific little Patrick Hockstetter short story still rule.

Eat This Glob posted:

Ransone absolutely stole the show in Generation Kill imo. He and Pennywise's brother Randall Flagg (Alexander Skarsgard) were great.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 13, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The one decision I'll defend is having the Loser's club remembering each other and staying friends. The original book I get the idea, but maybe it's too sad of a concept for me to agree with.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

The one decision I'll defend is having the Loser's club remembering each other and staying friends. The original book I get the idea, but maybe it's too sad of a concept for me to agree with.

The single most heartbreaking thing King has ever written. I’ve read/listened to IT 3 trice and I get choked up every time.

If IT Chapter 3 is ever made they’ll finally forget their friends at the end, but it’ll be because they’re old and wearing diapers.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I will be honest, I didn't think the new IT (part 1) was great. Not to say it was bad, and I thought Pennywise was pretty good in it. I just felt the movie lacked the heart the of the book. Of course to say this is to acknowledge you can't really blame the movie for this. They had to shove so much into it story wise. I mean how many of you left the theater thinking that wasn't a bad movie, but it would have been a 100 times better as 2 season series on Netflix or something like that? That while you enjoyed most of it, something was just missing. Maybe I am being too harsh on the movie (it had some well executed scenes), but I just feel like while it checked a few of the boxes to make a great IT adaptation it missed a few. Also it is the type of movie that the longer I get from when I seen it, the more I dislike it. I should honestly give it a re-watch to see if that changes how I feel.

Still haven't watched the second one despite going to the theater to see the first one. I need to correct that soon.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I mean yeah in general I think any of King's 800+ page behemoths would be better served as a miniseries than a movie. It, the Dark Tower, the Stand, etc., his stuff is just too big for 2-4hrs and there will always be people mad that X, Y, or Z was cut for time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It would have made such a better series than movie just for all of the legacy content.

Hell the first season could have been a period anthology show, with each episode being one of It's previous triumphs throughout history. The bank robbers' massacre, the mad lumberjack, burning the jazz club, the mill explosion, etc. Then season two is all Losers Club, but we've already established the stakes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

moths posted:

It would have made such a better series than movie just for all of the legacy content.

Hell the first season could have been a period anthology show, with each episode being one of It's previous triumphs throughout history. The bank robbers' massacre, the mad lumberjack, burning the jazz club, the mill explosion, etc. Then season two is all Losers Club, but we've already established the stakes.

13 episode season one, 7 of the losers club, 6 of historical IT. Do what Love, Death, And Robots did and have different episode orders drop for people, with which historical episode goes in which historical episode spot up in the air.

Eat This Glob posted:

Chastain was my easy #2; I thought she was fantastic as grown up Bev. I dont know that I've seen much of her stuff before.

I don't like her at all, but I can see her working in It for you if you haven't seen much of her stuff- I don't like her because she always takes basically the same role and plays it basically the same way.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

chicken in the barn whose barn my barn, yep rock and roll is pretty okey dokey

Having re-listened to the audiobook lately, it makes me dislike Chapter 2 a little more. I need the crazy psychedelic mushroom poo poo and King gleefully tap-dancing across the entire city's grave at the end, but we're never gonna get that in movie/miniseries format.

also, goddamn does the smoke hole, Derry interludes, and horrific little Patrick Hockstetter short story still rule.

oh gently caress, i didnt ever look at cast stuff for the new stand miniseries. Great choice! Hopefully he rocks the full mullet from the ABC version.

I don't like her at all, but I can see her working in It for you if you haven't seen much of her stuff- I don't like her because she always takes basically the same role and plays it basically the same way.

I hit up IMDB and It Chapter 2 was the first thing I've seen her act in. That probably helped a lot of that's the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just finished reading The Outsider. I picked it up in almost new condition for $2, which isn't bad at all.
So, here's what I think (spoilered for those who haven't read it).
Overall, I thought it was pretty good. I did an eye roll when I saw arc-sodium lights early on, but hey, King is gonna King. It felt a bit close to The Dark Half, with the whole "murder suspect leaves lots of evidence at the crime scene, yet was far away, and with an ironclad alibi." I guess after such a volume of work, any creator can't help but using some of the same themes. I was a little annoyed at the constant APPLE IPAD IPHONE APPLE APPLE popping up every page it seemed like. I also thought the little nod to the Dark Tower (the Outsider mentioning Ka) was completely unnecessary. Not every single thing has to tie in to the Tower, Steve.
I feel like a lot of King's supernatural antagonists act in ways that seem a bit silly, given what it seems they can do. It seems like the Outsider wasted effort with spooking Ralph's wife and the kid who called Howie (I forgot who's kid it was) and passing along a message instead of appearing directly to Ralph and threatening his son, or appearing directly to the son and scaring the pants off him. I'm sure a phone call from his kid saying "hey Dad, some freak showed up at camp and told me to tell you to back off or he'll kill me" might have gotten a better response.
Anyway, I feel like the background and origin of the outsider wasn't over-explained too much. The ending went over without Steve stepping on his own dick and blowing it, so that was alright. So on the shelf it goes now. Might re-read again some other time, unlike some of the ones I've suffered through over the years.