Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
It's a Washburn GW Lyon (as it says on the headstock)? Strat copy, sss one on ebay is selling for 70 bucks most of these starter style guitars sell between 60-90 on ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
So I should expect this guitar to play like poo poo and have an action that has to be super high for the frets to not buzz like crazy?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
If properly setup it'll probably play fine, just depends on the fret's condition. It's not inherent that a starter guitar will play like poo poo but yeah it's possible the frets are worn depending on how much it was played.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Sleep is for the weak

Let's clean up those frets!

Aw yeah

Had to start folding tape because gently caress cutting them to each fret length

Come here my sweet babies.

I don't remember buying these....how old is this package of strings... :crossarms:

Bridge after it's cleaned up. There's rust on the pickups but that doesn't affect the tone so I won't bother it.

peeeekups

Shiny Frets!

These tuners are weird.

Man, that was fun! Might as well restring my Dean while I'm at it!

gently caress I hate restringing Floyd Roses.

Man I did not take care of this thing.

I love the finish on these.

A :krad: sticker

This took 0 hours (this took 3 hours because I hosed up)

New guy in the family photo!

Hello, little buddy!

Cool older bro

Hmmm I haven't given you any love, maybe I'll do something special for you...

bass

It's...a seat belt!

It's...um...a seat belt belt? :confused:

It's a seat belt belt guitar strap! :dance: I used all 32 matches in the match box so I could fuse the polyester edges of the belt where I cut so it didn't fray. Seat Belt Belt is dead. Long live Seat Belt Belt Guitar Strap!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

NTT posted:

gently caress I hate restringing Floyd Roses.

I thought you just replace two strings at a time, tune a little flat, lock down the nut, and then fine tune from there. Rinse and repeat on the other two locking nut pieces. It didn't seem like a huge deal when our lead guy complained of dead strings and did the swap in 10minutes on his EVH MusicMan.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
:O

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I went out yesterday intending to buy a gs mini, but everything I picked up just sounded like the acoustic guitar I already have. Instead, I bought a Seagull Merlin and basically haven't put it down. It's a dulcimer inspired 4 string tuned to open D. For about $100 it's a stupid amount of fun.

Then some 20% off sales forced me to buy a Ditto x2 and the Hardwire Supernatural Reverb. I won't have those to play with until they arrive, though.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

havelock posted:

Instead, I bought a Seagull Merlin

Now that I know this exists I really want one

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
That Washburn has a Matsumoku look about it. How does it play?

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'm going to go in there with pride knowing full well I suck.

I really like the look of the Gibson SG. It seems like a lot of well known guitarists play one. Are there any brands that make a quality alternative for less money?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RagingHematoma posted:

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'm going to go in there with pride knowing full well I suck.

I really like the look of the Gibson SG. It seems like a lot of well known guitarists play one. Are there any brands that make a quality alternative for less money?

I don't know much about non gibby SGs but check out the Gibson SGJs. They're stripped down affordable versions of the expensive ones but you're still getting the same guitar. If you ask me there isn't a more comfortable guitar than the SG by the way. Mine just melts into my body. Have fun man!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

RagingHematoma posted:

If you want a Gibson SG style exact you'll have to go either Gibson, Epiphone, or CIJ Burny or a CIJ Tokai. Gibson themselves make cheaper SGs that trade in some features for price.

Otherwise you can go with Rondo's SG type guitar, ESP/LTD's, a Reverend Sensei.

Or a Yamaha SG

ed

New Greco's are pretty hot

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 5, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Ferrous Wheel posted:

That Washburn has a Matsumoku look about it. How does it play?

Plays really great, actually. Action's low and the nut is probably micrometers from being too low for fret buzz, so it plays really smooth, especially after a brand new set of strings and a fretboard reoiling.

Some issues:

3rd's strings locking tuner is...uh, it's not there. I expect that string to loosen and pop out any second, but I've been pulling full note bends on it to test, so it will probably be alright as it gets used to the tension.

Lots of chip damage, you can see the wood underneath in a few places.

Pickups are rusty, but that's cosmetic iirc.

Volume knob only works cranked up to 10. The pot cuts all signal off if you turn it down even to 9 and a half. Tone knob works great.

Of course it only has 22 frets because it is an entry level guitar, but I was shredding on it just fine. It plays like a mid range guitar, it just has very obvious physical indicators that it is a budget guitar. But it was made very well, considering the guy I got it from said it sat propped up against a wall in a garage for a really long time. Oh and the strings I pulled off of it? They looked like they were put on by a 15 year old who has never changed strings before, because they WERE. Those strings were -15 years old-. He had put them on when he was a teenager and this is the second pair of strings, ever, on this guitar since he's owned it. The strings were really curly and uncut at the top, which is what I associate with a novice doing his first string change.

I'll get a soundcloud with some noodling in a little bit to show what it sounds like.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

RagingHematoma posted:

Epiphone is the obvious choice. These days, they are to Gibson what Squier is to Fender: inexpensive import versions of their main line (though Epiphone has more of a range of price and quality than Squier. There are some Epis that go for a grand new). The G400 is a fine guitar, I have a friend who loves his. One of those with some nice strings and a setup will do you well. They also make a cheaper SG Special that looks the part but has a bolt on maple neck. That is not bad per se, but it isn't true to the original design. It also has cheaper pickups and build quality.

There is the SGJ, but I wasn't too impressed with the one I tried in a store. Half the reason I love the SG is the look, and the SGJ just didn't have the look to me, you know?

I don't like the look of most non-Gibson/Epiphone SGs because they look all melty to avoid lawsuits.

I like where this Burny is going http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chuya-online/item/32328/ but I suspect it is one of their Chinese-made models and if I'm going to go out of my way to order from Japan, I want a Japanese guitar.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
My new baby:

Threw in a warmoth modified mustang bridge with the height adjustment screws, and Seymour Duncan SJAG 2 pickups. So fun to play, so versatile, so pretty.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That thing has like 5 things I have never seen before

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
If you're up to it you should think about getting a "real" jag tremolo with the locking mechanism. It is by far my favorite trem system.

How do you like the bridge btw? I have a mustang bridge from years ago that didn't work quite right and I had to level a b saddle to get a little more height on the high e and I've always wanted a better solution than that.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Synonamess Botch posted:

If you're up to it you should think about getting a "real" jag tremolo with the locking mechanism. It is by far my favorite trem system.

How do you like the bridge btw? I have a mustang bridge from years ago that didn't work quite right and I had to level a b saddle to get a little more height on the high e and I've always wanted a better solution than that.

Updating the trem is something i may get around to doing at some point in the future. I'm gonna be in London for work in a few weeks and may grab some StayTrem parts while I'm there. Right now I am really digging the stock trem. It has a lot more tuning stability than I had expected after seeing reviews.

I really like the bridge. I got this one: http://www.warmoth.com/Modified-Mustang-Bridge-Chrome-P616C716.aspx and brought it in for a setup. Everything feels great and there's no string buzz at all. The high E string spacing was a little wide at first but we tilted the saddle towards the middle of the neck and it sorted things right out. Intonation is pretty much perfect right now. It sounds a tiny bit "plinky" up around the 19th fret on the D string, but it isn't bothering me and i'm sure a little fretwork would work it out if it started to get on my nerves.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Removing Polyurethane finish is a real Bitch

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Long shot but has anyone tried the mastodon lace pickups? They are two sounds that I love to death but demos aren't always honest and there's a lack of reviews online. I'm so curious about them.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Any recommendations on a kids size guitar?

Not a piece of crap, something my daughter can actually learn on. She's 6, which is probably a bit young, but I started the piano when I was 5, so...

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

crm posted:

Any recommendations on a kids size guitar?

Not a piece of crap, something my daughter can actually learn on. She's 6, which is probably a bit young, but I started the piano when I was 5, so...

Acoustic, electric? Steel string, nylon?

Yamaha makes a number of 3/4 sized acoustic and classical guitars, one of those with a good setup would be great.

I have a tiny nephewy-cousin-thing about your daughter's age, and Christmas before last he got a small Yamaha classical, and I was think it sounded good enough out of the box, but the action was a bit high. It was easy for me to play because of the nylon strings, but a bit tough for him. Any competent guitar tech could make it play great, but he has ditched guitar for drums.

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 6, 2014

crm
Oct 24, 2004

TopherCStone posted:

Acoustic, electric? Steel string, nylon?

Yamaha makes a number of 3/4 sized acoustic and classical guitars, one of those with a good setup would be great.

I have a tiny nephewy-cousin-thing about your daughter's age, and Christmas before last he got a small Yamaha classical, and I was think it sounded good enough out of the box, but the action was a bit high. It was easy for me to play because of the nylon strings, but a bit tough for him. Any competent guitar tech could make it play great, but he has ditched guitar for drums.

Something easy for a 6 year old girl to play :D

We can get fancy with types later (or she'll just grow more and start playing mine)

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

crm posted:

Something easy for a 6 year old girl to play :D

We can get fancy with types later (or she'll just grow more and start playing mine)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acoustic-ukuleles/yamaha-gl1-mini-6-string-nylon-guitalele

Very low string tension, small, but plays like a real guitar. Or, as Topher wrote, a fractional Yamaha classical.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I know everyone hates the TONE KING, but what about the Tone Fiend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou7dDqFiFXI

I like this guy's style

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

baka kaba posted:

I like this guy's style

Well I did actually laugh out loud at Guitars That Yell Like Goats That Yell Like Humans, but that could be because I drank half a bottle of tequila first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjGiiesddM4

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Some time in the 90s there was a thing on IIRC HBO about how tv production works, and the sound guys at the Simpsons used a midi guitar to trigger sound effects back then.

e: it was Travis Powers, and he used a midi guitar rigged up to a Synclavier

http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/pdf/features/at46_wade_wilson_hollywood_sound_designer.pdf
http://filmsound.org/studiosound/pp_simpsons.html

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ that's kinda weird, seems like it would just be easier to use a keyboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuB2hprvfdc

That thing sounds pretty drat cool. Get the kid one of those, crm. Then YOU can steal it

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

So RIT fabric dye turns out pretty well it seems.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

iostream.h posted:

So RIT fabric dye turns out pretty well it seems.

What did it look like before?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

baka kaba posted:

^^^ that's kinda weird, seems like it would just be easier to use a keyboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuB2hprvfdc

That thing sounds pretty drat cool. Get the kid one of those, crm. Then YOU can steal it
Sounds a bit like an Ovation...but probably a bunch cheaper.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Allen Wren posted:

What did it look like before?

It's the one I found on the sidewalk in Dorcester.

I'm thinking of throwing a maple neck with no inlays on it and throwing some weird electronics of some sort in it.
Either way, it's yet another trans purple LP, and that makes the world a better place.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 7, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
So I know lots of people harp on about alternate picking, but I never really got it. I mean, when I'm picking I go up and down a lot, but when playing something that involves going from, say, the B to E strings, I pick both downwards. Or when playing a scale, if I need to go to the string below where my pick is, I always downpick, no matter what motion I did before. Same with up-picking.

While it works for me is there any reason to learn proper alternate picking?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

So I know lots of people harp on about alternate picking, but I never really got it. I mean, when I'm picking I go up and down a lot, but when playing something that involves going from, say, the B to E strings, I pick both downwards. Or when playing a scale, if I need to go to the string below where my pick is, I always downpick, no matter what motion I did before. Same with up-picking.

While it works for me is there any reason to learn proper alternate picking?

No, economy picking is the one true way of picking.

It never hurts to practice different techniques though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's economy picking if I'm reading you right - basically alternate picking unless it makes sense to break it, because you're moving a shorter distance (like picking down to hit a vertically lower string, instead of moving the pick all the way past it and picking up instead).

That's a good technique and honestly it's probably better if it comes naturally and doesn't slow you down. Really the reason you HAVE* to learn alternate picking is because downpicking everything pretty much sucks, and alt picking is a simple one weird trick concept that's a huge improvement. You can do fancier stuff if you want, just do something. There might be some other special situations where it helps to only alt pick, like if it sets you up better for a particular movement, but you can deal with them when you hit them.

But the other thing about alt picking is that it's basically robotic, so you can play quickly without tripping yourself up. Depends how well you can handle your style for what you want to play, really

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

iostream.h posted:

It's the one I found on the sidewalk in Dorcester.

I'm thinking of throwing a maple neck with no inlays on it and throwing some weird electronics of some sort in it.
Either way, it's yet another trans purple LP, and that makes the world a better place.

gently caress, that's fantastic. I kind of want to try that, now. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash to start getting parts for a project guitar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
gently caress every bar in this song is anus

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Yeah, thanks, it's nice to have a name for it (it is economy picking).

I noticed it when a guitarist buddy told me to try alternate picking the riff to "Driver 8" instead of what I was doing. I...just didn't see the point.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm pretty much a strict alternate picker for reasons I don't really know. I don't really think about my right hand that much anymore, not as much as I should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

For me it seems like one of those things I might do naturally, but as soon as I start thinking about it as a thing to do it all comes crashing down.

I think I do it more fingerpicking bass though. It definitely owns there