Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Tae posted:

It's a game that plays like more like Kessen 2 except less strategic.

Kessen 2 is great, but do you mean Kessen 3, the one with the squad of troops like Bladestorm?

I am gonna chime in to say Bladestorm is actually pretty fun, sorry to all you non-fun havers, but the challenge evaporates like halfway through so if you desperately need a challenge stay away.

Also don't buy it unless it goes on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Aww Zhuge Dan. I played him a bunch, mostly because he had that move where he handcuffs an enemy at the end of it. Arresting Lu Bu. :allears:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Aww Zhuge Dan. I played him a bunch, mostly because he had that move where he handcuffs an enemy at the end of it. Arresting Lu Bu. :allears:

Don't forget the one where he tosses a dude in the sky, catches them by the face and then slams them into the ground.

Police brutality man was the loving best, and I want him to have a storyline that is just him going COPS on the rest of the game's cast.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

loving LIVE ACTION DIAO CHAN

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

disjoe posted:

loving LIVE ACTION DIAO CHAN

That, Himiko, Xun Yu being a lady who wants to gently caress Cao Cao, Yu Jin getting the Zhang He treatment, the twist ending of Liu Bei and Cao Cao being long lost brothers and Buff rear end Liu Zhang....

Kessen II was a treasure.

It did continue the tradition of Wu being extraneous to everything though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wu was so extra that Sun Xiang was named Sun Li as a third party harem member. Lesser billing than some OC named Mae just for Kessen 2.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Keeshhound posted:

Police brutality man was the loving best, and I want him to have a storyline that is just him going COPS on the rest of the game's cast.

zhuge liang standing around in a motel parking lot in boxers and a stained wifebeater tank top because his wife is threatening him with a baseball bat

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Brony Hunter posted:

We can't talk about Kessen II without an obligatory link to this classic scene -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIP2lEMqNa4

Cow cow

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Never played Kessen II myself, but it looks hilarious. Still, I can endorse the third game as legit awesome. Pretty good gameplay and a nice retelling of the Nobunaga story.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

my friend exclusively played as cow cow in early dysnasty warriors games because kaukau means "eat plenty" in hawaiian

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Brony Hunter posted:

We can't talk about Kessen II without an obligatory link to this classic scene -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIP2lEMqNa4

At first, I thought the joke was the fact she was pronouncing it Cow Cow instead of Tsao Tsao. Then she starts fidgeting around, and I thought maybe it was that the joke was that the animations were weird. Then she gets upset that she's interrupted and pulls out a remote control and rewinds time in order to finish what she's saying, only for it to blink back to normal and for her to start growling in a possessed voice. That I didn't expect.

I also find it funny that Cao Cao's like "Ha! A fire attack won't work with this wind!", but that's probably because I finished the Wei campaign in DW8 the other day, so I know that's not going to pan out like he thinks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kessen 2 was 2001, that was way before Tsao Tsao became the standard.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

DW3 had some of the best pronunciations. Just for the ridiculous over-emphasis on some names.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

DW3 had some of the best pronunciations. Just for the ridiculous over-emphasis on some names.

zhang liao... zhang liaaaooooo...! im god

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

This is veering off topic from the Musou games, but I was curious about the Koei strategy games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition. I thought I saw someone make a post about them a couple of pages back, so I wanted to ask for some info on them.

I've heard that RotTK X is considered one of the best entries in the series, and that the PS2 version got a localization (though I think I found a translation patch for the PC version). I was curious about the newest ones, RotTK XIII and Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence. I know they were both released on Steam, but I"ve also seen that they have PS4 versions, and I'm sort of curious about how they play with a controller.

I should also say that I'm not really good at strategy games, but even now and then, I like to give them a try. I remember reading about one of the games on one site, and they described as being pretty difficult and hard to approach, even if you're pretty skilled at strategy games.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I like RotK XIII but I'll be first to admit it's not exactly great. The tutorial is actually pretty good I found, so getting set up for the game is fairly easy. Once you know how to play there's two game modes to choose from, a story and objective focused Hero mode, and a more sandbox style Main mode. They're both fun for a couple of playthroughs or so, and you can play in multiple different roles (Ruler, Officier, some slob who never gets involved and just watches the story unfold from the sidelines) but afterwards that's pretty much it. The game is pretty shallow, more so compared to a lot of the other titles in the series. Also it's pretty expensive and rarely ever goes on sale.

If you're willing to drop more than usual on it, it can be fun to learn about the huge variety of often unmentioned or unfeatured officers and characters that make up RotTK, plus I'd say the presentation of the game is fantastic. Maybe not graphics wise exactly, but the music and the artwork is wonderful.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 10, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I like RotK XIII but I'll be first to admit it's not exactly great. The tutorial is actually pretty good I found, so getting set up for the game is fairly easy. Once you know how to play there's two game modes to choose from, a story and objective focused Hero mode, and a more sandbox style Main mode. They're both fun for a couple of playthroughs or so, and you can play in multiple different roles (Ruler, Officier, some slob who never gets involved and just watches the story unfold from the sidelines) but afterwards that's pretty much it. The game is pretty shallow, more so compared to a lot of the other titles in the series. Also it's pretty expensive and rarely ever goes on sale.

If you're willing to drop more than usual on it, it can be fun to learn about the huge variety of often unmentioned or unfeatured officers and characters that make up RotTK, plus I'd say the presentation of the game is fantastic. Maybe not graphics wise exactly, but the music and the artwork is wonderful.

The ability to play different roles was the bit I found sort of interesting. I heard that if you take the role of a officer give you can only suggest ideas or orders to the ruler in some decisions, which is an idea I haven't really heard of in strategy games before. If you're playing as some random person who's not involved, it sounds akin to setting up a game to observe how the AI competes against each other, and seeing as how you can tweak the stats for other characters, you could set up some interesting scenarios and watch how they play out. Like I said, though, I'm not very good at strategy games in general, so I imagine I'd struggle with the game if I tried to play it legitimately, and I'm not really up to dropping sixty dollars on it..The console versions look to be a good deal cheaper (around $25-35 on Amazon), but again, I'm skeptical to how well they play with a controller. I'd still like to give it a try at some point, though.

Back to Musou games, I'm still working my way through DW8, but I was thinking about picking up another game for PS4. Right now, it's a toss-up between Warriors Orochi 3, Samurai Warriors 4, or one of the Empire games. Unless I misunderstood, the difference between SW4 and SW4-II is that 4-II has a different story and set of characters. The Empire games really caught my eye when I saw that you could create custom characters, and I always like having fun with that sort of thing. I sort of want to get Samurai Warriors Empires, but I'm wondering if I should play the regular Samurai Warriors 4 first.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 11, 2017

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

ROTK XIII plays well enough with a controller, to the point I'm far better using the controller for it than a mouse now (then again, back in the days of the ROTK VIII on PS2 I was so fast issuing commands with a controller I crashed the game a few times.)

If you do pick it up, I'd say to make sure and get the version with the fame and strategy expansion pack, since it adds a bunch of depth over the base game, especially if you aren't playing a ruler.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I've never bought a DW empires game. What exactly do they have, and do they include the base game with story mode?

Like is there any reason to get DW7 over DW7: Empires?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

Like is there any reason to get DW7 over DW7: Empires?

XL is the complete version with a story mode. Empires is a separate thing with almost no story but a region conquering aspect.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Empires games are generally more simulation/customization based. You won't get the main storylines going in those, for that you'll want to buy the main numbered titles. Xtreme Legends entries add more story content/missions, but didn't include the main storyline until DW8 when Xtreme Legends was bundled with the main game for a rerelease.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Is that the reason I see people recommend DW7 and then jumping to DW8 XL? Well that sounds good to me, thanks guys! :tipshat:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Billzasilver posted:

Is that the reason I see people recommend DW7 and then jumping to DW8 XL? Well that sounds good to me, thanks guys! :tipshat:

I assume DW7 had a better story campaign than DW8's, while DW8 basically refined the gameplay, since its story basically covers the stuff that DW7 didn't. I haven't actually played DW7 cause it never came to PC

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

DW7 probably has the most extensive and revamped telling of the story. DW8's in comparison is kinda scattershot with taking moments from the recent TV series randomly.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
DW7 actually hit me in the feelings once or twice, which is impressive for a Musou game.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Another thing, what exactly is this TV series? I know there's been over 20 adaptations in TV and movies and anime, so why is this particular one changing Dynasty Warriors?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Billzasilver posted:

Another thing, what exactly is this TV series? I know there's been over 20 adaptations in TV and movies and anime, so why is this particular one changing Dynasty Warriors?

Because it was a really solid series with excellent acting and some pretty high production values. Start here if you want to see what the fuss is about.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Airspace posted:

DW7 actually hit me in the feelings once or twice, which is impressive for a Musou game.

The Jin ending is particularly well constructed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't get a little misty eyed at the end of Fate Extella, you did.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Keeshhound posted:

The Jin ending is particularly well constructed.

I will go to bat for the Wei ending of DW7 any day.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
What a twist

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/907657309832323073

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
It's only a twist if you forget Yuanji is in the running
https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/907665138244763648

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I've never played as Wang Yuanji or played much of a game with her in it, why and how did she become the most popular character in like, 2-4 years time?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

She's got big cans and has a personality weebs love

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/907679960319569921

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I've never played as Wang Yuanji or played much of a game with her in it, why and how did she become the most popular character in like, 2-4 years time?

There are two big reasons for it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RentACop posted:

She's got big cans and has a personality weebs love

Don't kinkshame people who want her to step on them.

Selane
May 19, 2006

I don't have a problem with it, I really don't mind KT putting in eye candy for men when they're one of the very few devs that put in just as much for women.

Also, I like playing as Wang Yuanji because she's an overpowered piece of poo poo for the same reason that SSX and Yue Ying were in 6: piercing projectile weapons generate way, WAY more meter than they really should.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Oh Wow. I had hope that it would be Cao Cao at number 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wang Yuanji is one of the most fun and unique play styles in the franchise. For those unaware, she has no hitstun on any of her moves besides her musou so she's basically a pure momentum character.