Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought this was illegal somehow. Maybe I'm thinking of the time-tested investing with your federal student loan money tactic, which isn't illegal per se but is, uh, inadvisable.

It falls under a category of fraud. If it turns to poo poo it may end up a criminal matter.

quote:

Credit card kiting refers to the use of one or more credit cards to obtain cash and purchasing power they do not have, or pay credit card balances with the proceeds of other cards. Unlike check kiting, which is illegal under nearly all circumstances, laws against credit card kiting are not completely prohibitive of the practice, thereby allowing it to be done to some degree. It is up to the banks to detect the practice and when necessary, stop it.

In order for prosecution to occur in a credit card kiting scheme, a bank must prove intent to deceive.[1] Eq seq reference infers paying credit card minimum balances with credit card proceeds is de facto evidence of deceit.

Harder to prove than cheque kiting according to the wiki. :v:

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Devian666 posted:

Nothing to stop an appeal to a higher court.

I guess that's something.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Nope, you are understanding perfectly; the bank didn't like the unforseen consequences of their contractual agreement with their customers and told them to gently caress off. Just remember this if you ever face an unforseen circumstance and it is in your best interest to walk away from a debt of some kind.

Yeah, that's infuriating to me. I'm sure I'm not alone. I can't tell you how many conversations I've had about debt (especially regarding houses and credit cards) where the other person just keeps repeating, "Personal responsibility. Personal responsibility." It's always the woman who lost her job and is supporting two kids and trying to keep a roof over their heads who needs to learn a lesson about personal responsibility. It's never the multi-billion-dollar national banking concerns that make huge profits from predatory lending that need to be held responsible. Then, what appears (from the little I know) to be a clear-cut case where those banking concerns need to eat what they dish out, and the courts give them a get-out-of-your-obligations-free card.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm not sure I buy the "men target function over form so their stuff is cheaper" thing(at least not for clothes), since it's difficult to find women's clothes that are more functional than fashionable. Try finding women's dress shoes that don't have heels and do have decent support, for instance. Or women's shirts that aren't paper-thin, or women's pants that have decently sized pockets. No poo poo we buy stuff that's form over function when that's all that's being sold!

I've also compared prices for hygiene & beauty products. In my experience, there's generally not any price difference between comparable men's and women's products of the same brand, and the cheapest product overall will often be gender-neutral. There is poo poo like "store brand shaving cream" vs "store brand lavender-scented shaving gel for women, now with aloe & vitamin E". The woman-specific version is usually more expensive...but there's also no reason to buy it, because the generic shaving cream does the same damned thing.

tl;dr The pink tax is half unavoidable bullshit, half self-inflicted bullshit. At least from my point of view.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 23, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Centripetal Horse posted:

I guess that's something.

Yeah, that's infuriating to me. I'm sure I'm not alone. I can't tell you how many conversations I've had about debt (especially regarding houses and credit cards) where the other person just keeps repeating, "Personal responsibility. Personal responsibility." It's always the woman who lost her job and is supporting two kids and trying to keep a roof over their heads who needs to learn a lesson about personal responsibility. It's never the multi-billion-dollar national banking concerns that make huge profits from predatory lending that need to be held responsible. Then, what appears (from the little I know) to be a clear-cut case where those banking concerns need to eat what they dish out, and the courts give them a get-out-of-your-obligations-free card.

In NZ we've had a code of conduct passed (it's only a guideline) but it states that lenders are to check that the people they lend to are able to repay the loan.

There was a time when banks were a respected part of the community and provided a valuable service. Now they have an image of being no better than loan sharks. Socially unacceptable loans trump personal responsibility.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Re: pink tax:

I finally found a pair of pants with pockets large enough to (mostly) fit my phone (iPhone, not one of those monster tablet/phone hybrids) and the pockets are cut at such an angle that my phone falls out every time I sit down. I'm now one of those people rocking a phone with a shattered screen because of those stupid pants. Choosing function over form still results in a lovely product when it comes to women's clothes unless you work on a farm and can wear carhartts or something every day.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

This pink tax is fascinating, the tariff differences are really arbitrary. Personal choice between body wash aside, women's shoes being taxed more than men's is kind of hosed up.

But Jesus I guess I haven't been over to GBS in a while because what the gently caress is going on in that thread, did GBS become fyad or something? Is fyad still a thing? I'm out of the loop over here with the adults.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

reddit posted:

I want to be a home owner by the end of 2015. I need help getting there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/33jlea/i_want_to_be_a_home_owner_by_the_end_of_2015_i/?sort=confidence

I am 25 years old, making $35K per year, $2K in credit card debt, $12.5K remaining on my car, and $80K in student loan debt. My take home after taxes is ~$1K per paycheck. My student loans are ~$1K per month. My current rent is $300 per month, and I have no other home related expenses (cable, internet, etc...). The homes I'm looking at range from $50K to $80K. How shall I approach this if my goal is home ownership by 1/1/2016?

Folly
May 26, 2010

Switchback posted:

This pink tax is fascinating, the tariff differences are really arbitrary. Personal choice between body wash aside, women's shoes being taxed more than men's is kind of hosed up.

But Jesus I guess I haven't been over to GBS in a while because what the gently caress is going on in that thread, did GBS become fyad or something? Is fyad still a thing? I'm out of the loop over here with the adults.

It's not tax, it's markup. It's based on what the consumer is willing to spend. It's not too shocking that men and women have a few different priorities in the way they dress, especially in regards to shoes. In my experience, the clothes thing is exact opposite. Mens clothes cost more, but are noticeably higher quality from the stores that sell to both sexes.

Also, I had roughly the same reaction on the GBS=FYAD thing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Switchback posted:

Yes and yes. There's a weekly contest for best thread which is maybe helping a little.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Switchback posted:

Yeah, at some point last year, or the year before, GBS became whatever the gently caress it is now. Its a shame too, because GBS used to have some really interesting and funny threads for things that didn't quite belong in D&D or one of the special interest forums. Now it may as well be FYAD or /b/. I have no idea why it became what it is.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Folly posted:

It's not tax, it's markup. It's based on what the consumer is willing to spend. It's not too shocking that men and women have a few different priorities in the way they dress, especially in regards to shoes. In my experience, the clothes thing is exact opposite. Mens clothes cost more, but are noticeably higher quality from the stores that sell to both sexes.

Also, I had roughly the same reaction on the GBS=FYAD thing.

I thought the source was saying there is literally a higher import tariff on women's shoes versus men's shoes. Like Nike sneakers cost more to import just because its a woman's size rather than a mans.

Folly
May 26, 2010
oh, I missed that one. I didn't catch the second link. Ya, that one makes no sense. I'm really curious about the history of that. The allotment looks so random it seems like they just didn't check what the other tariff was before they passed the new one. Better article on that issue: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/28/business/28gender.html?_r=0

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I love going to get my hair cut with my mother so I can rub the price in her face. $8 cheaper and I have longer/more difficult hair to cut than she does.

(yeah I'm a dude who goes to a hair salon. Price is the same as a barber, better end result because of the kind of hair I have)

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

turevidar posted:

quote:

reddit posted:
I want to be a home owner by the end of 2015. I need help getting there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfi...sort=confidence

I am 25 years old, making $35K per year, $2K in credit card debt, $12.5K remaining on my car, and $80K in student loan debt. My take home after taxes is ~$1K per paycheck. My student loans are ~$1K per month. My current rent is $300 per month, and I have no other home related expenses (cable, internet, etc...). The homes I'm looking at range from $50K to $80K. How shall I approach this if my goal is home ownership by 1/1/2016?

Doesn't seem too awful. Yea home ownership seems to be some kind of evil thing here, but at least he's looking at things in a reasonable price range. Student loans at 1k and only making 35k a year sucks, to call back the whole discussion earlier. Hopefully that's starting, no-experience pay and not what he's going to be making 5-10 years from now, but he didn't say what he got his degree in.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's not that home ownership is evil, but it's not something to be rushed into, and it's not like you've "made it" when you "buy" a property with a huge mortgage. That's only the start of the whole process that has a lot of headaches and financial pitfalls.

There's no need to hurry to be a homeowner by a certain date, it's retarded. Home inflation will not outpace the S&P 500 for an extended period, and if it does, and you don't sell in time, the crash will be enormous. Plus, you're paying lots of maintenance etc. in the meantime, and big closing cost fees on both sides of the transaction.

I rushed into home ownership at 26 and it was a bad, bad, bad move. I'm going to end up losing 50k plus closing costs on both sides, nearly another 20k. That's after waiting five years for the market to actually improve quite a bit in the area. But hey at least I got an 8k credit for the home purchase, thanks to Obama. :v:

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 23, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The real question is, where can you buy a habitable home with more than 1 job in a 100 mile radius for $50k?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Radbot posted:

The real question is, where can you buy a habitable home with more than 1 job in a 100 mile radius for $50k?

In Detroit that might buy you a mansion, and there are definitely jobs around. But you will probably be shot dead, or killed when your neighbor's meth lab explodes.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Radbot posted:

A lot of places in Michigan and Ohio.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

ChipNDip posted:

A lot of places in Michigan and Ohio.

I was just going to say, "In my hometown in Ohio." You could get a really nice place in town for less than $100k, but you're still living in Ohio.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Radbot posted:

Where I live is considered rural/Midwest/Bumfuck, but I am only 45 minutes from a major city. You can get a pretty decent place for 60-70k here, and still have the advantages (good jobs, entertainment, etc.) if you're willing to drive a little bit for it.

But this is probably going to be another rural/city debate, so I'll leave it at that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I mentally added a zero to that guy's post. Looking at houses for 50-80K? And that's not just the downpayment??

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

triplexpac posted:

I mentally added a zero to that guy's post. Looking at houses for 50-80K? And that's not just the downpayment??

Funny, my wife was talking about a house that some relative got, for 30k and now it's at 60k and he's super excited!

I looked at her so loving confused until I made her clarify "OH poo poo I was thinking in Man (chinese for 10k) and said 30 thousand when I meant 30 man so it was 300k whoops"

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I don't intend to demonize buying a home, but that person is comically unready, even for the modest home prices mentioned. They are currently paying half of their take home pay to student loans, they have another 14.5k of consumer debt, and they don't pay any of their own utilities, so they probably have no idea what living expenses actually are. But they HAVE to be in their own house this year!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

turevidar posted:

I don't intend to demonize buying a home, but that person is comically unready, even for the modest home prices mentioned. They are currently paying half of their take home pay to student loans, they have another 14.5k of consumer debt, and they don't pay any of their own utilities, so they probably have no idea what living expenses actually are. But they HAVE to be in their own house this year!

I bet his parents are kicking him out by 1/1/2016.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I bet his parents are kicking him out by 1/1/2016.

Maybe it's one of those situations where an extremely wealthy relative has willed a huge chunk of money to the first relative to meet some arbitrary set of conditions, such as having a child and owning a home before the start of 2016. That poo poo happens all the time.

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Maybe it's one of those situations where an extremely wealthy relative has willed a huge chunk of money to the first relative to meet some arbitrary set of conditions, such as having a child and owning a home before the start of 2016. That poo poo happens all the time.

Brewster's Thousands

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

Brewster's Thousands

You have to spend your money on a deposit for a lovely house plunging you into debt you are unlikely to be able to repay. Of course this is to learn how to hate your family and love unnecessary debt.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

I had to be 24 and possess a 4-year degree in order for my trust to be released.

Ironically, it just covered my remaining student loan balance :shepspends:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

potee posted:

I had to be 24 and possess a 4-year degree in order for my trust to be released.

Ironically, it just covered my remaining student loan balance :shepspends:

I hope it was worth 4 years of your life to get a degree literature. :iamafag: I had some money to be released when I turned 21. Instead it was taken out early to go towards my education. Using it up front was a good idea.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I get my none life insurance trust thingy at 32 or was it 34... gently caress I don't know. Attaching a trust to home ownership strikes me as really strange. 4 year degree also seems like bullshit to me.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 24, 2015

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Duck and Cover posted:

I get my none life insurance trust thingy at 32 or was it 34... gently caress I don't know. Attaching a trust to home ownership strikes me as really strange. 4 year degree also seems like bullshit to me.

My dad put the 4 year degree requirement in his life insurance policy because he's 100% convinced that without it my brother and I wouldn't have a good life. Yeah. :|

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

My dad put the 4 year degree requirement in his life insurance policy because he's 100% convinced that without it my brother and I wouldn't have a good life. Yeah. :|

All my degrees add up to is that I have a lot of work to do. Being busy and stressed out does not necessarily equate to a good life.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

For my college roommate, he had to achieve the age of 20 to receive his $300,000 trust. He was not my college roommate the next semester.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bad with money: I have a roughly zero net worth at age 30 with a degree, while the dude above makes $200k/yr in IT. We're on what I like to think is parity though because he likes Pappy Van Winkle.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Smart trusts say you have to read and understand several books after age X and be reasonably debt free. Eg 4 pillars of investing.

There is also a test.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

Bad with money: I have a roughly zero net worth at age 30 with a degree, while the dude above makes $200k/yr in IT. We're on what I like to think is parity though because he likes Pappy Van Winkle.

Don't get too worried about only zero net worth I hit 30 and had paid off my student loan. My main asset was a really expensive computer which has long since been thrown away because I used it to destruction. At least you can improve from this point on.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

Don't get too worried about only zero net worth I hit 30 and had paid off my student loan. My main asset was a really expensive computer which has long since been thrown away because I used it to destruction. At least you can improve from this point on.

Yeah I'm 29 and if I keep up my pace right now I'll be Worthless a bit before my birthday in December.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I think this poor gullible bastard fits in neatly with the theme of this thread.

Basically he gets taken for a ride by a really scammy-sounding loan company and just keeps giving them more loving money and doesn't realize what's happening till he's pretty deep in the hole.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Noyemi K posted:

I think this poor gullible bastard fits in neatly with the theme of this thread.

Basically he gets taken for a ride by a really scammy-sounding loan company and just keeps giving them more loving money and doesn't realize what's happening till he's pretty deep in the hole.

LoanZ? Man, it's like the scammers aren't even trying to sound legitimate.

"Yo, you've reached CrackerJaX Financial, where every loan has a prize inside, how can I help you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A loan company asking for a PayPal cash cards and money to repay Western Union fees yes that sounds legit and totally a good idea.

• Locked thread