Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Which is better out of gargoyle bident or chariot lance? I'm looking for something comical to powerstance.

Chariot lance is really good. I watched a vid of someone dual wielding Chariot lances for PvP and it kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Heliosicle posted:

You can farm for humanity's pretty easily in the first section of Shrine of Amana.

For Darklurker get chaos storm, then once you've got it down to 2/3 hp it will try to split in two, run into the middle of it while it does this (you have about 5 seconds) and blast the thing, you should one shot it if your flame is +4 or more. In terms of getting it to that hp all of its attacks are pretty easily dodged, I wouldn't suggest blocking.

For the fire attack just circle around, for the black orb thing watch for the 2nd orb, which fires off an orb at you (it doesn't track you though) for the laser beam just run and get underneath it for a couple of free hits.

Thanks for this. But I equiped tons of dark defense stuff and it seemed to do zero difference and i still die in 2 hits. I tried firestorm, and of course, I hit absolutely nothing standing right in between them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

VisAbsoluta posted:

Thanks for the very informative post! When it comes to PvE, I guess those hexes are basically the best ones too?

That guy is an idiot. Hexes are extremely good way before you get to the absurd level needed for those stats. Even with just 30 fth/int they're OP as poo poo for PVE. Aim for 20/20 early on so you can use a fair amount of Hexes (especially if you use the Int/Fth boosting rings as well). Raise Int/fth as needed to meet spell requirements. 30 for both or 40 for both are both good stopping points. Att 20-30, and then put any more puts into End/Str/Dex/whatever you want.

Casting implements; Archdrake Chime/Staff early on. Caitha's Chime to replace the chime. You can replace staff with Sunset Staff from Felkin (Talk with 20 Int/fth); it's the best hex staff tho it requires twinkling to upgrade.
Bone Staff; garbage for sorceries, looks good for hexes, at least on paper (I've never used it). It might be better than Archdrake Staff for hexes, not sure. Only requires regular titanite to upgrade, at the least.
Bat Staff (rare drop from hollow mages in Brightstone) is not particularly great as a catalyst, but because of its innate poison Dark Fog cast with it will pretty much instantly poison any player.
Black Witch's Staff; casts miracles sorceries and hexes. Hex and sorcery bonus are pretty good, miracle not so much. Useful if you want to use two or three types of magic and you don't want to bother with multiple catalysts and is very good for PVP.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

bat duck posted:

Thanks for this. But I equiped tons of dark defense stuff and it seemed to do zero difference and i still die in 2 hits. I tried firestorm, and of course, I hit absolutely nothing standing right in between them.

You need high agility and low equip load to dodge his stuff. Or you can try dark infused max upgraded transgressor's leather shield for +100% dark resist block. You won't even need to wear any dark defense stuff anymore.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

At 35 int and 55 faith, Great Resonant Soul did two damage less than Great Lightning Spear for me. I used a maxed out Lightning Dragon Chime and Dark Caitha's Chime for the relevant spells. Hexes do a lot of damage.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Finished the story on NG, switched to Sentinels to start grinding out kills for WoG. Had a dozen or so tokens of fidelity laying around so I went to the arena and cheesed a bunch of fights with spammed Emit Force. It's hilariously effective, everyone's like 'wth? I can't even fall off here' and then they take 650-700 damage.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

That guy is an idiot. Hexes are extremely good way before you get to the absurd level needed for those stats. Even with just 30 fth/int they're OP as poo poo for PVE. Aim for 20/20 early on so you can use a fair amount of Hexes (especially if you use the Int/Fth boosting rings as well). Raise Int/fth as needed to meet spell requirements. 30 for both or 40 for both are both good stopping points. Att 20-30, and then put any more puts into End/Str/Dex/whatever you want.

Casting implements; Archdrake Chime/Staff early on. Caitha's Chime to replace the chime. You can replace staff with Sunset Staff from Felkin (Talk with 20 Int/fth); it's the best hex staff tho it requires twinkling to upgrade.
Bone Staff; garbage for sorceries, looks good for hexes, at least on paper (I've never used it). It might be better than Archdrake Staff for hexes, not sure. Only requires regular titanite to upgrade, at the least.
Bat Staff (rare drop from hollow mages in Brightstone) is not particularly great as a catalyst, but because of its innate poison Dark Fog cast with it will pretty much instantly poison any player.
Black Witch's Staff; casts miracles sorceries and hexes. Hex and sorcery bonus are pretty good, miracle not so much. Useful if you want to use two or three types of magic and you don't want to bother with multiple catalysts and is very good for PVP.

Prior to high stats, a pure faith build easily over-damages hexes. Not only that, but bosses and enemies aren't smart enough to dodge your sunlight spears very well. If you want to compare a 20/20 int/faith setup with hexes to anything, you'd be more honest to compare it to a 40 faith miracles build. At 40 faith, lightning spears easily out-damage any hexes you can use at 20/20. If you want, I can even pull up the precise numbers for you.

VisAbsoluta, if you listen to Genocyber, you'll be gimping the hell out of your DPS. Using the build I listed earlier, I had a 30:5 KD ratio on the ironkeep PvP bridge, from a single ~3 hour period of hanging out there. Genocyber, on the other hand, is a chump that can't make a single post without starting with an ad hom.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 9, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ComaPrison posted:

Prior to high stats, a pure faith build easily over-damages hexes. Not only that, but bosses and enemies aren't smart enough to dodge your sunlight spears very well. If you want to compare a 20/20 int/faith setup with hexes to anything, you'd be more honest to compare it to a 40 faith miracles build. At 40 faith, lightning spears easily out-damage any hexes you can use at 20/20. If you want, I can even pull up the precise numbers for you.

VisAbsoluta, if you listen to Genocyber, you'll be gimping the hell out of your DPS.

Great Resonant Soul is considerably stronger and casts much faster than either lightning spear or great lightning spear. And guess what, enemies dodge GRS even worse because of how fast it casts.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

At 35 int and 55 faith, Great Resonant Soul did two damage less than Great Lightning Spear for me. I used a maxed out Lightning Dragon Chime and Dark Caitha's Chime for the relevant spells. Hexes do a lot of damage.

Chime of Want does even more damage.

In PvP related news, I broke the 15M barrier. It's pretty dead! Most invasion hits I get are three dudes camping directly next to the spawn.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I've summoned Benhart for the Prowling Magus, Looking Glass Knight and Throne Defender&Watcher, making sure he survived each fight but he still won't give me his sword. Did I do anything wrong?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is Great Combustion as terrific as its Dark Souls 1 counterpart? Or has it been heavily nerfed since then?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

bat duck posted:

Is there a way to cheese Darklurker? I'm sick of this boss and I've already wasted 10 humanity on him. And as far as I know theres a pretty limited supply of it in this game.
And is it just me or is every single enemy in this game mixed with some gimmick like pitch black, poison or some other affliction on all sides or narrow pathways. I'm getting kind of sick of it, very little of the fighting is enjoyable when the main problem is navigating the terrain.

bat duck posted:

Silence him, I just got over saying it a page or two ago.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Domattee posted:

Chime of Want does even more damage.

I made Bow of Want instead so I couldn't test that one.

Asehujiko posted:

I've summoned Benhart for the Prowling Magus, Looking Glass Knight and Throne Defender&Watcher, making sure he survived each fight but he still won't give me his sword. Did I do anything wrong?

Yes, you need to do Throne Defender/Watcher back to back with Nashandra or it won't count. You can still summon him for the Giant Lord.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
As someone who has played both a Hexer and a pure faith build I'd agree with him that playing the Hexer after the fact, Hexers don't really feel like they stack up in PvE. I mean sure you can still pick off most random scrubs easily enough but Resonant Soul and the like don't really compare to the sheer damage lightning spears put out. It seems like most enemies are either weak or neutral to lightning, whereas Dark resistance is far more common.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Is Great Combustion as terrific as its Dark Souls 1 counterpart? Or has it been heavily nerfed since then?

It's not as good as it was. Instead of creating a sphere of fire in front of you, the flame follows your hand as you wave it for a second; you cover about the same area, but not all at once, and it's slower. Still good at catching people trying to roll towards/behind you, though.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

Apples and oranges. If you're testing the damage of a 35 int 55 faith build, you should be comparing it to the damage of a 90 faith build. At 90 faith, the innate lightning BNS of 192 vs a 35/55 int/faith innate dark BNS of 166. Even if you had done the optimal split by going 45/45, the dark BNS is still only 173 vs the pure faith build's 192 lightning BNS. Also, a dark infused +5 chime of want has 287 dark damage, vs a lightning infused +5 dragon chime with also 287 lightning damage. On top of that, for PvE, sunlight spear and great lightning spear has a significant range advantage for binocular sniping. As I've previously said, end-game PvP at high soul levels (SL 250+ for me), a pure hex build is by far the best choice. The cast animation is shorter, the damage is better (due to abyss seal +20% dark damage vs sun seal +5% miracle damage), etc. etc. For PvE casters, the main factors are raw DPS and snipe range, wherein a pure faith build gets you a better bang for buck.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 9, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't bring myself to try a hexer because your best spells use souls. Its like you're literally throwing money away! Also none of the hexes really look cool. I usually like dark magic in video games but in Dark Souls it doesn't really impress me.

The only hexes I've wanted to use are repel and silence. How effective are they? Repel just sounds incredibly annoying to deal with, while silence I could see being useful or useless depending on how long it takes to cast.

Cowcaster posted:

It still kicks rear end. Deals a ton of damage and casts super quick. Last time I did PvP on my pyromancer I could kill almost anyone with two casts of it. There was even one guy that rolled into my combustion and got one shotted by it. He must have had super low health for that to happen but it was still hilarious. Great combustion is one of the spells to other spell schools don't really have an equivalent to, so if you're going pyromancy you should definitely use it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 9, 2014

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

ComaPrison posted:

You can get bracing knuckle ring +2 on your first run. It's in the undead crypt.

Yes I have that ring, it's just that I'd rather wear others. I work around it by carrying 3 weapons with me (I wear light armour so equip load isn't an issue) but still, having to swap weapons every 5 minutes or so (because one of the ones I upgraded was a falchion, which is also really fragile and hits the floor on every swing) feels more annoying than it should.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

As someone who has played both a Hexer and a pure faith build I'd agree with him that playing the Hexer after the fact, Hexers don't really feel like they stack up in PvE. I mean sure you can still pick off most random scrubs easily enough but Resonant Soul and the like don't really compare to the sheer damage lightning spears put out. It seems like most enemies are either weak or neutral to lightning, whereas Dark resistance is far more common.

That is exactly the case! Lightning is the most common weakness in the game for PvE, the entire end game is weak to it barring the optional bosses. Hexes do more damage when you hit someone neutral to both and don't take as long to cast, but you can get more casts of Lightning Spear/Great Lightning Spear because they only take up one attunement slot and have more casts naturally.

Plus they don't eat your souls.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm wrapping up the primal souls now, and I'm still using the basic sorcerer's staff. Is there a better one I could have found by now?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Where should I ascetic to fight NG+ Iron King for that sweet sweet Dragonslayer Greatbow?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

It's much better. It takes a bit longer to cast but it lingers for quite a bit longer and covers a slightly larger area.

Re: Hexes. It's a lot easier to get/upgrade Caitha's chime than it is Dragon Chime. GRS is stronger than great lightning spear in many cases, and casts much faster. And with the Hex boosting ring it's already crazy damage gets even better.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Which is better out of gargoyle bident or chariot lance? I'm looking for something comical to powerstance.

I'm having fun with the chariot lance in PvE just need the Bracing Knuckle ring cos it breaks fairly quickly.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I'm running around with a +5 dark rulers sword, and I have around 750000 liquid souls. So far it's kinda underwhelming. Does it ever become worth it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

How'd he break the word filter? Or are you using the mod that gets rid of it?

edit: Oh wait that's a 1. Or an L. Or something.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 9, 2014

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I'm running around with a +5 dark rulers sword, and I have around 750000 liquid souls. So far it's kinda underwhelming. Does it ever become worth it?

No. The damage scaling with souls is broken and/or gimped. The scaling caps at 1 million and is still weak.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yes, you need to do Throne Defender/Watcher back to back with Nashandra or it won't count. You can still summon him for the Giant Lord.

Only Nashandra counts, technically. So you have the option of dying or exiting out after her stage begins to give him another chance with full health against her alone.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

It's much better. It takes a bit longer to cast but it lingers for quite a bit longer and covers a slightly larger area.

Re: Hexes. It's a lot easier to get/upgrade Caitha's chime than it is Dragon Chime. GRS is stronger than great lightning spear in many cases, and casts much faster. And with the Hex boosting ring it's already crazy damage gets even better.

It has worse sniping range, more targets seem to have higher dark resists in PvE, and at an equivalent investment in stat points, it does less damage. 90 faith gets 192 lightning BNS vs 45 int/45 faith getting 173 dark BNS. +5 dark infused chime of want and +5 lightning infused dragon chime do the same damage (287 lightning BNS vs 287 dark BNS), but dragon chime has hidden scaling with soul memory (edit: false rumor, disregard soul memory scaling). Dark gets the 20% bonus from abyss seal, but people can't get that until they're already at drangleic castle anyways. Miracles' sun seal +5% bonus can't keep up, but you get access to it much earlier in the game. And again, you also have to factor in that for the equivalent investment in stat points, lightning already has an 11-12% damage premium over dark (assuming you optimally distributed you points for you hexer, with int being = to faith.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 9, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Why are we disvussing 90 faith like it's a plausible outcome

Really this issue starts and ends with the absurd prevalence of lightning weakness.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

I'm soul level 253. I can easily respec into 99 faith, with enough left over to hit the soft caps for vigor, vitality, agility (end/adpt), and attunement. I use dark for end game precisely because it casts faster, is harder to dodge, and gets the abyss seal bonus. We were discussing a lower level character though, which benefits from the damage premium from a pure faith investment, earlier access to its respective seal ring for the damage bonus, etc.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 9, 2014

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
Okay, so I managed to beat the game without ever having put on a shield. Mostly, for the bosses, this was only possible because I had someone (or an AI NPC) tanking for me while I nuked with lightning, and because I farmed lots of things into extinction. Now I'm at endgame with fully upgraded weapons, and I have a few questions.

First, I'm having trouble deciding on armor to upgrade; I have base equip load, so it has to be ultra-light. I have Hexer set, Chaos set, Black set (from Straid), and Black Witch's set. I'm thinking of going with the Chaos set, because I have enough attunement that the Hexer and Black Witch hats aren't that appealing, despite the obviously better stats of the Black Witch set. I also noticed that the Black Dragon armor looks great, though, but I don't have it. Is there other great endgame caster armor I've overlooked?

Second, I'm trying to farm souls in the memory of Jeigh, but I suck enough that I mostly end up killing the entry enemies over and over instead of the boss. Is there a cheap way to kill him at range without an NPC summon?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Really this issue starts and ends with the absurd prevalence of lightning weakness.

It's not like stacking the gently caress out of a single stat costs more souls than splitting evenly between two stats, so if you're going to talk about 50 int/50 faith hex builds you should probably talk about 90 int sorcery or 90 faith miracle builds.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

ComaPrison posted:

No. The damage scaling with souls is broken and/or gimped. The scaling caps at 1 million and is still weak.

Well time to level up like 30 times. Thanks, I liked the look of the crypt black blade more anyway

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm wrapping up the primal souls now, and I'm still using the basic sorcerer's staff. Is there a better one I could have found by now?

Yes. In Black Gulch, you can get the forbidden key; that will get you the witchtree branch immediately.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ComaPrison posted:

I'm convinced you're either trolling or literally retarded. Nothing you say is correct. Dark Ruler's Sword does a shitton of damage with a million souls. On my Hexer (20 everything except Fth/int which are 30) Normal+5 does 500 pure phys, making it the strongest greatsword, and Dark does ~680 split roughly evenly between Dark and phys. Buffed with resonant weapon and the thing does absurd damage (4k crits, thank you).

ComaPrison posted:

but dragon chime has hidden scaling with soul memory

This is the first time I've heard of this, and a quick google brings nothing about this up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ComaPrison posted:

I'm soul level 253. I can easily respec into 99 faith, with enough left over to hit the soft caps for vigor, vitality, agility (end/adpt), and attunement. I use dark for end game precisely because it casts faster, is harder to dodge, and gets the abyss seal bonus. We were discussing a lower level character though, which benefits from the damage premium from a pure faith investment.

How is that in any way relevant to advising someone playing NG

You can't seem to make up your mind on whether or not the immediacy of anything is important. I'm generally on your side but you are all over the map and it undermines your argument.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

I'm convinced you're either trolling or literally retarded. Nothing you say is correct. Dark Ruler's Sword does a shitton of damage with a million souls. On my Hexer (20 everything except Fth/int which are 30) Normal+5 does 500 pure phys, making it the strongest greatsword, and Dark does ~680 split roughly evenly between Dark and phys. Buffed with resonant weapon and the thing does absurd damage (4k crits, thank you).

This is the first time I've heard of this, and a quick google brings nothing about this up.

The latter rumor was my bad. I thought I remembered seeing it somewhere but it was false.

As for the ruler's sword, here's the damage table for it http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Ruler%27s+Sword#.U2wnyfldXG8

Your 4k damage comment sounds like utter BS. At 99 str and 99 dex, +5 upgrade, and ring of blades (not +2 though), it gets 280+299 damage. That's with the damage scaling capping out at 1 million souls.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 9, 2014

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

How is that in any way relevant to advising someone playing NG

You can't seem to make up your mind on whether or not the immediacy of anything is important. I'm generally on your side but you are all over the map and it undermines your argument.

Cliffs: lower level characters' damage output benefits from pure faith investment, early access to sun seal, longer binocular sniping range, etc.

end game characters benefit from dark's advantages.

How is that too "all over the map?".

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

SirDan3k posted:

Hey I know I could use a hammer to drive these nails but I've got a perfectly good pipe wrench and it gets the job done.

This quote should be on the front page for people who talk down using controllers. I went out and purchased a controller just because the mouse+keyboard was like pulling teeth due to horrible binding options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Out or curiosity what is the absolute lowest STR requirement 100 percent physical shield