Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
If you want a little (or a lot) crazier or more realistic worldgen without a mod (in 1.8 and newer), you can also design or copy a preset for a Customized world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

modded_minecraft.tga

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

modded_minecraft.tga

MORE LASERS

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

MORE LASERS

I still have another 81 to install on the left wall, and however many will fit on the wall that has the entrance.

Even with the number in that screenshot, a resonant machine frame takes a little while to make. I haven't even tried to make iridium ore yet. (infinity expert skyblock)

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I went with the rule of thumb that if it took lasers, it was better to mass fab it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Heffer posted:

I went with the rule of thumb that if it took lasers, it was better to mass fab it.

Well, this is Infinity Evolved Expert, where the list of stuff you can dupe with UU-matter is pretty small. The best the Mass Fabricator can do is make the odd bit of Plutonium. In order to get a piece of iridium ore, you need to combine a unit of MOX fuel and a unit of RTG pellets in the Buildcraft assembly table, along with 80 million RF. With a stack of iridium ore (processed along with other things,) you can make the gateway item to Applied Energistics (which opens up big reactors shortly thereafter.)

It ends up being about six stacks of plutonium total.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Well, this is Infinity Evolved Expert, where the list of stuff you can dupe with UU-matter is pretty small. The best the Mass Fabricator can do is make the odd bit of Plutonium. In order to get a piece of iridium ore, you need to combine a unit of MOX fuel and a unit of RTG pellets in the Buildcraft assembly table, along with 80 million RF. With a stack of iridium ore (processed along with other things,) you can make the gateway item to Applied Energistics (which opens up big reactors shortly thereafter.)

It ends up being about six stacks of plutonium total.

So how long does it take to get each plutonium?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 1, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

So how long does it take to get each plutonium?

There's three ways to make plutonium.

The first way is with UU-matter. You need 291 mB of UU-matter to grunt out a single plutonium. Each mB of UU-matter takes 1m EU, or 166,666 EU and 34 scrap. (A typical IC2 reactor puts out 420 EU/t.)

The other two ways are by centrifuging spent fuel rods; either enriched uranium or MOX fuel rods. Enriched Uranium fuel rods are made with the processed results of uranium ore only, and MOX fuel is made with a blend of uranium and plutonium.

Each spent fuel rod you centrifuge yields 1/9th of a plutonium, in addition to either four U238 (enriched uranium fuel rod) or 3 plutonium (MOX fuel rod; this is recovering the plutonium you used to make the MOX fuel in the first place.) It takes 20,000 seconds to fully spend an enriched uranium fuel rod, or 10,000 seconds to spend a MOX fuel. The best design I've found can stuff 44 fuel rods into a single reactor, which is just shy of 5 plutonium per cycle. Since MOX fuel lasts half as long in a reactor, it's the best to use for breeding more plutonium.

I have 10 reactors right now on my IE:S map. Nine of them are fully automated. The tenth can turn itself off when fuel rods deplete, but is deliberately not replacing its fuel rods. This is so I can mix MOX and enriched uranium fuels. (This lets me put my existing plutonium to work making more plutonium before I get enough for a whole new reactor.)

Thank goodness for Logistics Pipes; the Placement Rules Upgrade allows you to specify which items go into which slots. Without it, I would have to limp along with 28 fuel rod reactors.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

poo poo ton of words

These packs always put me off...

Speaking of packs, there's an amateur ytuber I found who put out a pack called serious remnants. It's a 1.11.2(I THINK, might be 1.10) pack which focuses on the better than mods mod, and embers. He's put some cool towers in for the waystones.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I JUST figured out that you can target iridium in the replicator. And that a piece of iridium ore, a thing that takes 6 plutonium to make, costs less than half the UU-matter of a piece of plutonium. :cripes:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I wish Thaumcraft would realease for the newer versions finally.

also I've been playing with the Direwolf20 pack and it's got a decent selection of mods. Loads fairly quick and has interesting options for all kinds of stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

exciting update: the LASERCUBE is now finished

this thing runs pretty fast

Carsius
May 7, 2013

New vivecraft release adds forge support to 1.10. If only I could get it to not crash with any mod pack I throw at it

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Yet more worldgen fun the game hates from the bottom of its black heart: heavily customized RFtools dimensions. That's a shame. :gonk:

I spent awhile wishing that the mod offered any sort of high-cost workaround for the dimension builder's limited ability to accept power beyond [spend stupidly high amounts of time farming dimlet copies], but so far, every dimension I've put together that had a maintenance cost higher than around 40-50k RF/t has been so insanely laggy with chunkloading as to be functionally useless anyway.

My Draconic Reactor's fuel conversion is high enough that it finally crossed the 1mil net output threshold, but the most obvious sink in Beyond for hilarious amounts of power is, simply put, busted. Woe is me.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a good 1.10+ pack on Tecnic that has a good range of the current state of the art? I feel like I should peck at it.

Do you really need it to be on Technic? Direwolf20's 1.10 pack and All the Mods over on Curse have a wide range of tech and magic mods, and the first one also has the benefit of a Let's Play series to go along with it.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Looking for a simple mod to either make monsters spawn at light level 6 or 5 instead of 7, build some structure to prevent monster spawn in an area, or make lights brighter. Want to keep my server vanilla besides this.. anything?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

cyclical posted:

Do you really need it to be on Technic? Direwolf20's 1.10 pack and All the Mods over on Curse have a wide range of tech and magic mods, and the first one also has the benefit of a Let's Play series to go along with it.

I caved and got that Curse/Twitch/Whatever launcher the other day and tried to run All the Mods. It spawned in a bunch of crashing jungles and I couldn't get through ten contiguous minutes without it outright crashing out or lagging for about 20 seconds. So I guess I try Direwolf20's pack now...?

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
step 1: install grimdark on technic or curse it doesn't matter because grimdark is that good, step 2: run chunkgen to pre-generate some world using the commands here, step 3: profit from playing a pack that has everything in those packs plus everything they missed because they're lazy

alternate step 2: just join the server

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
It really bothers me that Agrarian Skies 2 has no cosmetic block mods aside from microblocks and exu's colored blocks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McFrugal posted:

It really bothers me that Agrarian Skies 2 has no cosmetic block mods aside from microblocks and exu's colored blocks.

Yeah! Apart from Bibliocraft furniture, Minefactory Reloaded bricks, and Forestry wood types.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
You could probably get away with dropping something like xtones in ag skies, just make a backup

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah there is definitely no shame in adding mods to packs

i put better builder's wands into the infinity evolved skyblock so building out a platform wasn't exceedingly tedious

(and yes i tolerate tedium in tech trees more than just making room for poo poo)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Like how I added Thaumic Energistics to Regrowth because gently caress Thaumcraft otherwise. :v:

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Black Pants posted:

Like how I added Thaumic Energistics to Regrowth because gently caress Thaumcraft otherwise. :v:

Thaumcraft Energistics should be a requirement for any mod pack with thaumcraft in it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
There's a fairly simple fix for making thaumcraft not suck to do w/o thaumic energistics - always use essentia buffers instead of pipes at any intersection and read the thaumonomicon page on essentia buffers in excruciating detail

Controlled suction (ie being able to put stuff in jars but not pull stuff from them) and essentia buffers are how you automate the entirety of essentia distillation, and that's the part that's actually annoying as poo poo.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Thaumcraft 5 essentia wrangling is so, so much easier. Instead of pipes, you just emit and acquire essentia over the air. The thaumatorium goes from irritating (without thaumic energistics) to absolutely convenient and drat near necessary.

In unrelated news:

I did it. :yaycloud:

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

Polish posted:

Looking for a simple mod to either make monsters spawn at light level 6 or 5 instead of 7, build some structure to prevent monster spawn in an area, or make lights brighter. Want to keep my server vanilla besides this.. anything?

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/in-control

modify spawn.json in config to:

code:
[
  {
    "mob": "Slime",
    "result": "default"
  },

{
    "minlight": 6,
    "hostile": true,
    "result": "deny"
  },
]
Will cause any hostile spawn at light level of 6 or higher to be denied. Rules are processed top to bottom, so if you want to carve out an exception for slimes, just include a block that does so.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Thaumcraft 5 essentia wrangling is so, so much easier. Instead of pipes, you just emit and acquire essentia over the air. The thaumatorium goes from irritating (without thaumic energistics) to absolutely convenient and drat near necessary.

In unrelated news:

I did it. :yaycloud:

Enjoy your "Certus" Wrench.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Enjoy your "Certus" Wrench.

I'm going to enjoy the Big Reactor it unlocks more. :sun:

Carsius
May 7, 2013

frenzy posted:

step 1: install grimdark on technic or curse it doesn't matter because grimdark is that good, step 2: run chunkgen to pre-generate some world using the commands here, step 3: profit from playing a pack that has everything in those packs plus everything they missed because they're lazy

alternate step 2: just join the server

I'm sure you're not biased.

I am enjoying the pack quite a bit, though. Is there a way to turn on cheats post-gen so I can use the chunk creation commands?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Carsius posted:

I'm sure you're not biased.

I am enjoying the pack quite a bit, though. Is there a way to turn on cheats post-gen so I can use the chunk creation commands?

Open to LAN, click the turn on cheats button in the process.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Are there any good 1.10 HQM modpacks out that aren't skyblocks? A friend is looking for something to do multiplayer and everything I'm seeing is still on 1.7

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Tyty posted:

Are there any good 1.10 HQM modpacks out that aren't skyblocks? A friend is looking for something to do multiplayer and everything I'm seeing is still on 1.7

why can't they use 1.7.10?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I guess we could, but he wants to see the updates that have happened to the mods. We could also forgo the HQM part I guess but that seemed like kinda an important feature.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Tyty posted:

I guess we could, but he wants to see the updates that have happened to the mods. We could also forgo the HQM part I guess but that seemed like kinda an important feature.

Minus hqm, I'll have to suggest grimdark as well. If he can stand 1.7, you can't go wrong with Blightfall.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd suggest going into the Browse All Modpacks section of the Twitch client and filtering by Quests. No guarantee for quality but you can check them out and see if you find anything you like.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This is going to sound like a weird question, but...what's the point of Draconic Evolution? Is it just a bunch of complicated endgame doodads to give you something to do during the late game?

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is going to sound like a weird question, but...what's the point of Draconic Evolution? Is it just a bunch of complicated endgame doodads to give you something to do during the late game?

Pretty much.

And the stuff you get is pretty powerful, like the infinite energy storage, crystals which can transfer ludicrous amounts of rf/t and let you connect machines to power wirelessly (no more power conduits) , creative flying without the mining slowdown, multi-purpose pickaxe/shovel/axe/weapon that can dig out 15x15x15 areas in a swing, and the machine-gun bow (machine-bow?) that can kill the Ender dragon in four seconds.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, that's what I figured, thanks.

I've been playing around with my single-mod-per-category modpack thing again after finding some really good new mods, and it still surprises me how easy it is to just start scope creeping and just adding thing because they look neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Maybe you should have a single "it looks neat" category then :v:.