Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Anybody heard that Russia is doing a covid shutdown in Crimea starting Monday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Anybody heard that Russia is doing a covid shutdown in Crimea starting Monday?

Same as literally anywhere else in the Russian Federation, from October 30 to November 7.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
But Crimea is not R.. :can:

There was a huge explosion at a gunpowder factory in Lesnoy village earlier today, seems like at least 16 dead. Article in Russian but with some videos from the scene

https://www.mk.ru/incident/2021/10/22/vzryv-na-ryazanskom-zavode-glazami-sotrudnicy-vzryvchatku-razmeshivali-na-kolenke.html

Seems pretty bad.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Covid lockdown.

Flights to the black sea are basically overbooked due to Russians going on holiday

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

But Crimea is not R.. :can:

De facto facto membership is not mutually exclusive with unlawful annexation.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It really is ironic to look at Russia’s vaccination stats when we have a double digit % domestic population that would only accept Sputnik.

In other Ironic News, many Russians are travelling to Croatia to get vaccinated by a western vaccine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://tass.ru/obschestvo/12750415

Sputnik vaccine author says that 80% of corresponding breakthrough cases with severe infection development are actually attributed to people who have faked their vaccination credentials.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Makes sense, really. Especially funny, considering Putin claimed that foreigners come to Russia to get a Sputnik shot, and then forge Phizer/AZ certificates at home.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I visited Estonia last weekend. The thing with covid is that you won't see it anywhere. It is invisible. I understand Estonia has another covid crisis on their hand, but during my trip the only thing different from Finland was that nearly all places wanted to see my EU covid pass.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

I visited Estonia last weekend. The thing with covid is that you won't see it anywhere. It is invisible. I understand Estonia has another covid crisis on their hand, but during my trip the only thing different from Finland was that nearly all places wanted to see my EU covid pass.

I mean, what would you expect to see? City streets littered with corpses? Police patrols in hazmat getup for handling neurotoxins?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

In Poland, the official stance on vaxxed people is that they do not have to isolate after/during even prolonged contact with positive cases (as in you live with someone sick). No testing required, no stricter regime of mask wearing etc.

So you got asymptomatic/mildly sick people spreading the virus with full acknowledgment from the government. In my case I managed to convince someone close to self isolate and test after a few days of living with a positive family member. They have a mild case now and would definitely infect more people if didn't self isolate.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What fun, starting today, there are even no more stickers about masks on buses or anywhere else. They've just removed everything. Lukashenko says, people just don't know how to wear masks correctly, only doctors possess this secret knowledge, so there is no point in masks whatsoever.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I mean, what would you expect to see? City streets littered with corpses? Police patrols in hazmat getup for handling neurotoxins?

I assume ihmemiäs meant there were no mask or safe distance mandates in places that have the covid passport mandate, so you just have to trust that others don't have forged certificates.

After a year+ of isolation it's understandable that the end of strict isolation brings uncertainty when simultaneously media is telling that the virus is spreading like crazy.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Yes. Restaurants like Olde Hansa were packed. Went to Kalma saun and it was also full of people. Maritime museum was full of people etc etc. They didn't seem to have any distance or "only 50% of places can be used" or other limitations if you had the eu COVID pass, despite all the cases and hospitalizations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ah I see. Well yeah, that’s just Baltics.

:negative:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Our healthcare minister didn’t give the most optimistic presentation today, so it seems that we’re headed for at least 3k/day cases until we get to measure if the lockdown with most recent set of restrictions is bearing meaningful effect. Consequently, we’ve already requested a giant pile of hardware via European joint civil defence mechanism, and we’re preparing to call for medical personnel mobilisation, and for further medical personnel reinforcements from other EU countries.

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/ministrs-ja-nenostradas-majsede-divu-nedelu-laika-latvija-bus-4000-covid-19-inficeto-diena.a427363/
https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/sonedel-plano-valdibai-iesniegt-pieprasijumu-mobilizacijas-izsludinasanai-medikiem.a427397/
https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/latvija-lugs-starptautisko-palidzibu-covid-19-pacientu-arstesanai.a427402/

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 26, 2021

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/estonia/
759 per 100k people in last 7 days. In total figures it was 2025 detected cases today.
https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/finland/

Since the 25th people are supposed to wear masks in public places. For real this time. :smith:
Last Saturday we had a protest against the new measures. Our conservative racist party got to show off their populist tricks again with their leaders present there totally not calling people not to vaccinate (while being vaccinated themselves). They must have stocks in the companies that produces ivermectin because they promote the hell out of it. Instead of vaccinating.
A year and a half ago when they were in the coalition, the leader of their party was the minister of interior. He sang a totally different tune back then. On a brighter side, a number of their members quit after this because they aren't dummies. Just perhaps racists and/or homophobes.

I won't link the whole parade of clowns but I'll link this prophetic picture. Seeing as there was a church at one end of the square with a funeral procession.

They're all nuts. Again, I'm only going to the office now and to the stores during off-peak hours.

This morning I couldn't get any sleep so I went to buy some paperclips at 4 am from the local Prisma. There were about five people. Two clerks, two customers, one security guard. That CEO from Finland wants to make their business here truly work.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Prismas are the same in Finland, if they are 24h open. Big giant halls full of nothing during night time. Well at least you can go buy a new tent or a fridge or whatever 24/7.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Prisma was the best supermarket chain and I was more than a little mad when they left Latvia.

They had a lot of fake bomb threats in the year before they left, but I can't recall if that was the only reason they left.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Prisma's private label products are dirt cheap. Although soon we're getting Lidl in Estonia as well. We're the last country in Europe not to have Lidl shops. (I only went to buy paperclips at 4 am because I had marinaded strips of beef that I needed to hang for drying and I couldn't get any sleep)

Also, it seems that the gloves are finally coming off. Now the health inspection and police announced that they will be doing raids in public places, enforcing masks and checking covid certificates. Including their validity and if they belong to the right person. Arguing will result in detaining. Yeah, it figures: The elections have been over for more than a week so the main coalition parties no longer need to win the elections. :F

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Never seen a Prisma store but Lidl is good. They even have it on Malta.

mobby_6kl posted:

I see Czechia is on a great trajectory too

I guess that's just going to continue with sub-50% vaccination rates among younger people and probably close to 0 among the open 'er up crew but there's some time before poo poo gets real bad again

Oh no, who could've seen this coming??

:jerkbag:

They still can't enforce mandatory vaccination or tests in workplaces, but at least the politicians are going to get a nice 6% raise

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The European Court of Justice is fining Poland €1m per day over their illegal reforms of the justice system.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

More fuel for the fire that we are paying more than receiving from EU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

More fuel for the fire that we are paying more than receiving from EU

You’re refusing to pay 500k/day for Turow, I don’t see why would you suddenly agree to pay this one in reality.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I expect both of these will be taken out of whatever Poland is supposed to get in the future :shrug:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Polish government is genuinely perplexed the EU commission is actually imposing fines. Their master plan literally didn’t account for this happening.

Also, shadow PM/president/puppet master Kaczynski had a rough press conference. First , his grandpa cell phone rang, then he fell asleep as someone else was talking and finally, his sleeve revealed he wore his watch upside-down. Truly the Machiavelli we deserve.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mokotow posted:

Polish government is genuinely perplexed the EU commission is actually imposing fines. Their master plan literally didn’t account for this happening.

What are youn going to do, fine us?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The fines aren't that big, just a combined 1.5m € per day.

The big one is the recovery fund that is being held back. That's a good 28 billion euros in cash, afaik.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

The big one is the recovery fund that is being held back. That's a good 28 billion euros in cash, afaik.

It’s 12 billion in loans and 24 billion in grants, leading to Morawiecki threaten European Commission 4 days ago with this:

Morawiecki posted:

If you start the Third World War, we will defend our rights with any weapons which are at our disposal.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 28, 2021

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I guess the plan is that they will burn even more coal, taking the planet with them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/10/27/poland-facebook-algorithm/

Facebook Papers piece on political polarization in Poland in the last couple of years.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Antigravitas posted:

The article mentions that the ECJ can impose larger fines in the future if noncompliance continues, too.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Larger fines plus not granting recovery funds. Truly we have risen

And some idiots in the govenment cite the TK judgement about Polish law being more important than the EU's, and that's just:/

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh no, who could've seen this coming??

:jerkbag:

They still can't enforce mandatory vaccination or tests in workplaces, but at least the politicians are going to get a nice 6% raise
Current 7-day incidence in Slovak Republic, whoops, haha. And the interest in vaccination is still low.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.politico.eu/article/european-commission-ursula-von-der-leyen-sees-path-compromise-to-unlock-polish-recovery-funds/

Commission is suggesting that Poland should forget about the recovery funds, if it doesn’t want to fix the recent spate of issues with the judiciary.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, we are now in "find out" phase of the pandemic after "gently caress around" phase went splendidly

Bars and stores are full, schools will switch to online for two entire days, masks are nothing but polite suggestions, and we are about 42% of total population vaccinated.

Truly, we are Florida of Europe.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Doesn't Poland get like €13B/y net from EU. What does a €365M/y fine matter in that scheme? It should be €10M/day at least. Preferrably more.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

Doesn't Poland get like €13B/y net from EU. What does a €365M/y fine matter in that scheme? It should be €10M/day at least. Preferrably more.

The point of the fine is to pressure for compliance, rather than to destroy the one receiving the fine. Now, you could argue that 1 million/day is not particularly "motivating" to a 600 billion economy, but I wouldn't rush to predict how the political implications of it will play out.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I expect there to be a ramping mechanism in place for sustained noncompliance. So ignoring the court could get more costly in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

I expect there to be a ramping mechanism in place for sustained noncompliance. So ignoring the court could get more costly in the future.

There is one, but I would be extremely surprised if a court fine would ever reach proportions where the Polish establishment does yield on the grounds of financial hardships.