Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I have the climb and superhot VR on Oculus Rift..

What are some other games I can invite my friends over and we can take turns and have a blast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TipsyMcStagger posted:

What are some other games I can invite my friends over and we can take turns and have a blast?

I assume you've also played robo recall with them? You should have, its free and amazing. Gorn is a good silly one as well, but if you're planing to have friends over get "keep talking and nobody explodes".

Its a party game where one person wears the headset and has to defuse a bomb, but the people outside of VR have the instruction manuals (best to print off enough copies for each person so they don't have to share) and they have to try and talk the person in the headset through the disarming before it blows.

EDIT: It might sound dumb, but fruit ninja VR could be fun for a group taking turns.

If you have any interest in football, hockey, baseball, or basketball you guys might get a kick out of "vr sports challenge" Its sot of a wii sports like experience of snippets from different sports with different goals, I hate sports games as a rule but for some reason really enjoyed this game, especially the hockey goalie part.

Dreadhalls is a nice little spooky experience if you want to scare all your friends away.

Space Pirate trainer is an older one, but pretty much the purest form of a score based wave shooter.

If you happen to have a compatible rock band guitar sitting in a closet, and you got the separate rift headset/touch boxes that include the guitar adapter, Rock Band VR is a hell of a lot of fun, and a good game for people to switch off on.

EDIT 2:

Might want to look into soundboxing/audio shield, knockout league as well.

Echo Arena is free and amazing, and well, you could swap out after each match or something, but I don't know that its exactly a party game in any way.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 1, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyErujM1zI

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TipsyMcStagger posted:

GORN for sure. Tons of laughs once everyone has had a few. Just watch out. It's dangerous. 5 minute rounds

Soundboxing is great because you've got music while you're playing and chilling with your pals, also people look ridiculous. 4 minute rounds.

If you like The Climb, Climbey and To The Top are similar but much, much better games (with less of a focus on graphics). Levels are anywhere from 30 seconds to an hour to complete.

Robo Recall is good for switching off - intense robot blasting slow motion action - levels are about 10 minutes

Sairento VR is similar. Levels about 5 minutes.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Another vote for Soundboxing - though why oh why can't I get a perfect score on Stayin' Alive? I always manage to miss at least one. Argh!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I forget who it was who was interested in streaming games after moving their VR machine to another room, the steam link is on sale for 15 dollars right now.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I forget who it was who was interested in streaming games after moving their VR machine to another room, the steam link is on sale for 15 dollars right now.

Good news: TPCast went up for sale in Europe.

Bad news: It's equivalent to USD $440, and appears to not have solved any of the cons including the router.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6xd3gf/psa_preorder_for_tpcast_wireless_device_addon_for/

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Tom Guycot posted:

I assume you've also played robo recall with them? You should have, its free and amazing. Gorn is a good silly one as well, but if you're planing to have friends over get "keep talking and nobody explodes".

I have not installed robo recall yet! I have a storage issue where my 500 gig SD is filled with a bunch of games i go and regularly play so I've only installed Elite Dangerous/Superhot/Climb to VR since I just got it a couple weeks ago.

I'll see about deleting something to try these out.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I picked up a Vive last week due to the sale and I'm loving everything about it.

I'm hesitant to trust buying games for Oculus and playing them via Revive though since they've cut access once, so I'm sticking to Steam or at least Vive native games for now (Open to free Oculus games but haven't looked too hard). Picked up Gorn and Vanishing Realms and those are awesome as far as I've played them (Beat the second champion in Gorn, just about to the point of having the gold for the wand in VanRealms and started being able to mine, beat the second bone hulk, etc)

I can't wait for there to be a full-scale proper 60-unlimited hour RPG available. These are a good start and a fine taste of what's to come but, drat, I'd drop some real coin on Elder Scrolls 6 VR if it were available today. Skyrim VR I'm not so excited for since I've played it hundreds of hours now.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there even any free Oculus games if you buy a vive?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

PerrineClostermann posted:

I just installed revive and have grabbed a handful of the free oculus things. Seem to mostly be the experiences though; Henry, Lost, Dear Anjelica, and a few others I've found so far

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Echo Arena

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Job Sim is pretty perfect (Rick and Morty is the same thing)

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is mad fun but can be a bit much for some people to process (And some of the latter puzzles like the Morse code are loving hard)

You don't get any paid games for free with a VIVE like you do Oculus, but there's lots of games on Steam that support VR which are "free", so there's that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

That was me, thank you sir, puchased.

edit: Ah man still 60 bucks in Canada.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 1, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PCOS Bill posted:

I picked up a Vive last week due to the sale and I'm loving everything about it.

I'm hesitant to trust buying games for Oculus and playing them via Revive though since they've cut access once, so I'm sticking to Steam or at least Vive native games for now (Open to free Oculus games but haven't looked too hard). Picked up Gorn and Vanishing Realms and those are awesome as far as I've played them (Beat the second champion in Gorn, just about to the point of having the gold for the wand in VanRealms and started being able to mine, beat the second bone hulk, etc)

There`s no way they could ever cut access now. I mean I don`t know for sure, but if they did it would bury them. The public outcry would be crazy.

You just got your Vive so there`s a ton of stuff for you to play in the meantime, but the stuff on the Oculus store is an order of magnitude more polished, and the only place really you`re going to get something that feels like a AAA game in VR.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Gorn is an especially good pick since it supports additional non vr players now

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I had no idea that the TPCast had so many limitations. The Router thing seems like a pretty silly design decision.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Zaphod42 posted:

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is mad fun but can be a bit much for some people to process (And some of the latter puzzles like the Morse code are loving hard)

Jesus christ, this.

The SO and I were having a blast until we came up across a bomb with a ton of morse code modules and gently caress that.

Does anyone have a trick to interpreting morse code other than (ughhhhh) practice?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Boxman posted:

Jesus christ, this.

The SO and I were having a blast until we came up across a bomb with a ton of morse code modules and gently caress that.

Does anyone have a trick to interpreting morse code other than (ughhhhh) practice?

I managed one puzzle with morse by hard work, determination, and some amount of luck and guesswork.

From that point I've simply avoided them. Its too hard, too fast. I feel like laughing at myself even trying to attempt those. "okay its uhhh beeep...beep beep...beeeeeep no gently caress that was a short...no beep beep, gently caress.... gently caress"

Like its good for a laugh just for how hard it is, but not really fun after that. I can't imagine how hard the puzzles at the end of the game are. I got about halfway and I'm meh on getting past that. Would rather just take turns with new people playing the bomb defuser on easier difficulties.

If you want to succeed at that game you need to work for the Navy :v:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Luckey's Tale is free for anyone

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Poetic Justice posted:

Luckey's Tale is free for anyone

Yeah and haters can hate but I find it fun. I like this style of VR game. A lot. It's fun having roomscale and being able to walk around a level and see behind stuff. Super fun.

Games clearly not the most polished long epic game. It's fun though.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah and haters can hate but I find it fun. I like this style of VR game. A lot. It's fun having roomscale and being able to walk around a level and see behind stuff. Super fun.

Games clearly not the most polished long epic game. It's fun though.

Yeah I really enjoyed it a lot too. I really like 3rd person games in VR in general and screw the people who want to somehow claim it's not "real vr" or whatever the hell, although thankfully there seems to be less and less of that attitude going around.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I bought Minecraft and installed Vivecraft.

Guess I'm autistic now because this is awesome.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

PCOS Bill posted:

I bought Minecraft and installed Vivecraft.

Guess I'm autistic now because this is awesome.

It feels like an entirely new game. I installed the "All the Mods 2" mod pack to go along with it and it works great.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Bought an MSI Nightblade 3 earlier in the year and now just picked up an Oculus, but it doesn't seem to recognize either of the two HDMI ports I have (this is a "VR Ready" machine!!). What are my options to check that the ports and/or the headset are working properly?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cacator posted:

Bought an MSI Nightblade 3 earlier in the year and now just picked up an Oculus, but it doesn't seem to recognize either of the two HDMI ports I have (this is a "VR Ready" machine!!). What are my options to check that the ports and/or the headset are working properly?

Make sure they are USB 3.0
Make sure drivers are up to date.
Make sure its not on the list of "chipsets that dont work right with VR"
And as a long shot, Make sure you're not already exceeding your usb bandwidth or whatever.

Looks like you could slap a usb card in though, so dont stress it. Worst case you buy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPIMICA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1ICJ7FUGT6HJZ&colid=2RWJD4F3EJYDF or something.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Make sure they are USB 3.0
Make sure drivers are up to date.
Make sure its not on the list of "chipsets that dont work right with VR"
And as a long shot, Make sure you're not already exceeding your usb bandwidth or whatever.

Looks like you could slap a usb card in though, so dont stress it. Worst case you buy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPIMICA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1ICJ7FUGT6HJZ&colid=2RWJD4F3EJYDF or something.

USB ports are all 3.1 and are working fine, I have two HDMI outputs that aren't the main display, one at the front of the computer is specifically marked for VR so I assume that's the one attached to the graphics card (GTX1070). Drivers are all up to date too.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Vivecraft is great but it gives me vertigo and makes me nauseated something fierce. Haven't run into that with any other game yet.

Is there any way to get Subnautica working on a Vive? Right now the UI is at the periphery of my vision, thus making it useless. I see that you should be able to tweak the POV via the console but apparently you have to do that every time you play and also they disabled that two days ago, right as I got my Vive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/6wvtbp/cant_change_fov_in_vr_with_htc_vive/

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cacator posted:

USB ports are all 3.1 and are working fine, I have two HDMI outputs that aren't the main display, one at the front of the computer is specifically marked for VR so I assume that's the one attached to the graphics card (GTX1070). Drivers are all up to date too.

Still 2 things to check. And if the ports are not seeing the sensors/headset, then they clearly are not working correctly or are not compatible. :(

Do ANY ports see the sensors/headset? Even the 2.0s?

EDIT: Try using the rear port for HDMI?

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 2, 2017

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Still 2 things to check. And if the ports are not seeing the sensors/headset, then they clearly are not working correctly or are not compatible. :(

Do ANY ports see the sensors/headset? Even the 2.0s?

No, the USB ports can see the headset and sensors in the Oculus setup. This is strictly an HDMI issue from the looks of it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cacator posted:

No, the USB ports can see the headset and sensors in the Oculus setup. This is strictly an HDMI issue from the looks of it.

I edited, But I was going to say, get an adapter for your displayport from walmart for 10 or less dollars, and use the HDMI port for your headset off the card. If that front HDMI is just a "split" the HDMI port cant really be split and shared for VR. Maybe I missed somewhere we've done that and if so, my bad. I have no idea beyond that. Unless the cable for your headset is loose.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

InevitableCheese posted:

It feels like an entirely new game. I installed the "All the Mods 2" mod pack to go along with it and it works great.

Still can't get that to work

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

I edited, But I was going to say, get an adapter for your displayport from walmart for 10 or less dollars, and use the HDMI port for your headset off the card. If that front HDMI is just a "split" the HDMI port cant really be split and shared for VR. Maybe I missed somewhere we've done that and if so, my bad. I have no idea beyond that. Unless the cable for your headset is loose.

Ughh apparently I have to connect the HDMI port on the back with a "VR Link" port on the back using a cable I forgot came with the computer in order to use the HDMI port on the front. Fun! :smith:

edit: Using the HDMI port on the back by itself didn't work either so I might be hosed on this. Fingers crossed!

Edit 2: No dice. Guess it's time for tech support.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 2, 2017

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

I can't wait for there to be a full-scale proper 60-unlimited hour RPG available. These are a good start and a fine taste of what's to come but, drat, I'd drop some real coin on Elder Scrolls 6 VR if it were available today. Skyrim VR I'm not so excited for since I've played it hundreds of hours now.

At the very least, as everyone is saying, get the free stuff, the demos and films are great and Echo Arena is only free for a little while longer.

Personally I think your fears are unfounded, that 'once' they cut access caused a massive, massive backlash and I think they even apologised.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chadzok posted:

At the very least, as everyone is saying, get the free stuff, the demos and films are great and Echo Arena is only free for a little while longer.

Personally I think your fears are unfounded, that 'once' they cut access caused a massive, massive backlash and I think they even apologised.

Yeah and they have openly said they wanna support non oculus headsets and poo poo in oculus home. Pretty drat sure I read a recent thing even about that.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cacator posted:

Ughh apparently I have to connect the HDMI port on the back with a "VR Link" port on the back using a cable I forgot came with the computer in order to use the HDMI port on the front. Fun! :smith:

edit: Using the HDMI port on the back by itself didn't work either so I might be hosed on this. Fingers crossed!

Edit 2: No dice. Guess it's time for tech support.

Is there some option you have to enable to activate the ports? I take it theres no HDMI port coming directly off the video card?

EDIT:

This is the computer you got? https://www.msi.com/Desktop/Nightblade-3.html#hero-overview

Did you try the HDMI port right on the video card?

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 2, 2017

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Is there some option you have to enable to activate the ports? I take it theres no HDMI port coming directly off the video card?

EDIT:

This is the computer you got? https://www.msi.com/Desktop/Nightblade-3.html#hero-overview

Yup. Opened it up to confirm, the HDMI port on the back is connected directly to the video card, there's a second port on the back that connects to the port on the front. Connecting directly to the video card's HDMI port still isn't recognized.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

EDIT:

I feel like he said he did, without saying video card, But maybe he used the HDMI or something off the mainboard?

EDIT: damnit, beat me

Cacator posted:

Yup. Opened it up to confirm, the HDMI port on the back is connected directly to the video card, there's a second port on the back that connects to the port on the front. Connecting directly to the video card's HDMI port still isn't recognized.

poo poo I'd just call MSI. Be the dumb consumer for a few min and be like "So heres the deets, thoughts?"

I mean if the HDMI ports work (On other devices). I'm pointing fingers at the headset, either the HDMI or the headset itself. Before you dick with tech support maybe check the cable at the frame? Make sure its in all the way?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cacator posted:

Ah ok, yeah the amount of weird ports on the back of that computer was confusing me in what you were actually talking about.

EDIT

EbolaIvory posted:

I mean if the HDMI ports work (On other devices). I'm pointing fingers at the headset, either the HDMI or the headset itself. Before you dick with tech support maybe check the cable at the frame? Make sure its in all the way?

Yeah, this is true, theres always the outside chance the cable is loose where it plugs into the headset. If you pop off the plastic bit with the facial foam on it, the wire plugs into the headset behind it, you could double check it didn't some loose in shipping or something.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

I feel like he said he did, without saying video card, But maybe he used the HDMI or something off the mainboard?

EDIT: damnit, beat me

poo poo I'd just call MSI. Be the dumb consumer for a few min and be like "So heres the deets, thoughts?"

I've never used the HDMI ports for anything else (my monitor is hooked up to the motherboard's HDMI port though). As far as I could tell everything was connected fine including the cables in the headset.