Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just lol if your alarm is anything other than the Pillar Men theme from Jojo.

Mine is the boss battle theme from Final Fantasy VII. gently caress the haters, it works!

Also my ringtone when I have the sound on is Peaches en Regalia by Frank Zappa. I never confuse it with anyone else’s ringtone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
The galaxy brain ringtone is an old fashioned bell. Not even a digital cell phone ring from the 80s, but the sound of a bell from the 50s.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Mine is whatever the default is, because I never changed it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Close Encounters of the Third Kind tones. Sounds normal, but occasionally someone recognizes it and compliments me.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

In 2019 the only acceptable ringtones are from the Earthbound soundtrack

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I have mine as the Metal Gear Solid Codec tone.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

blatman posted:

In 2019 the only acceptable ringtones are from the Earthbound soundtrack

Megalovania, but only the Halloween Hack version.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I had the CTU ringtone from 24 on my phone. Then I started watching the next season, and for the first five episodes I instinctively grabbed for my phone when there was a call on screen.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Wii Shop music or bust.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Lambert posted:

Mine is whatever the default is, because I never changed it.

mine is vibrate. what the gently caress is wrong with y'all having ringtones on

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Wii Shop music or bust.

MvC2 character select music for me

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Who has ringtones anymore? or even vibrates when your pixel glitches out months ago.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Jesus there’s nothing more depressing than walking past a 9am morning meeting in a Walmart where they make the employees do a Walmart related sports cheer.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Give me a squiggly

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

anonumos posted:

The galaxy brain ringtone is an old fashioned bell. Not even a digital cell phone ring from the 80s, but the sound of a bell from the 50s.

Okay Boomer (the only people I see using it).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My dad has that and I hate it.

e: scratch that, I meant the message notification, so imagine eating with the family and if dad's extra popular for some reason you keep randomly hearing a super loud 'GONG'

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 18, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

My ring tone for years was just my brother saying "Ring Ring" in a firm voice. He switched it as a joke, and I kept it because was extremely distinctive.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Are you even an American if your ringtone isn't Hulk Hogan's entrance song from the 90s?

IM A REAL AMERICAN

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019
I use a clip from a podcast where one of the hosts yells AAAAAAA GET OUT OF BED, GET OUT OF BED, YOU ARE UNDER PSYCHIC ATTACK (he's reading from a website)

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
So, retail huh. It's not going too well.

My experience from working in the places is that they're really glorified warehouses no matter what is sold. Also customers occasionally get angry because us employees don't know poo poo about the things we sell, but training is expensive, you know? One time I was working at a place selling building materials, and some guy told me straight out "I'm building a cabin, what would I need?".

That's my story about retail, thanks for reading!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Beachcomber posted:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind tones. Sounds normal, but occasionally someone recognizes it and compliments me.

:same:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you don’t have Chewbacca yelling as your text notification, I’m not even sure why you have a phone.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

My text notification is that one guy saying "eight" from the Stanley Parable demo (but only the demo, as that sequence does not occur in the full game).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Paul.Power posted:

My text notification is that one guy saying "eight" from the Stanley Parable demo (but only the demo, as that sequence does not occur in the full game).

Joker from Mass Effect saying, "Message coming in, patching it through," :allears:

One of my brothers uses this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsiZOJjfUg

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Nosfereefer posted:

My experience from working in the places is that they're really glorified warehouses no matter what is sold. Also customers occasionally get angry because us employees don't know poo poo about the things we sell, but training is expensive, you know? One time I was working at a place selling building materials, and some guy told me straight out "I'm building a cabin, what would I need?".

So, what do I need for building a cabin? Let me show you this schematic of what it's supposed to look like:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nosfereefer posted:

Cases where actually knowing poo poo and explaining it face to face helps is the niche retail could defend against online, but 1) training and disposable minimum wage labour are incompatible and 2) sales volume would be low. I wonder if there'd be a viable business model in becoming purchasing consultants and then offering to buy the costumer a complete package for a fee (vs them having to dig through 50 pages of search results for every but and bolt) as a service.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

suck my woke dick posted:

Cases where actually knowing poo poo and explaining it face to face helps is the niche retail could defend against online, but 1) training and disposable minimum wage labour are incompatible and 2) sales volume would be low. I wonder if there'd be a viable business model in becoming purchasing consultants and then offering to buy the costumer a complete package for a fee (vs them having to dig through 50 pages of search results for every but and bolt) as a service.

We have that for building a cabin, it's a combination of architects, contractors, project managers, etc. They all do one aspect of helping you build a cabin or whatever. The reason people forego that and wander into a home improvement store asking "how do I cabin?" is because they are cheap, and do not want to pay for people who know what the gently caress they're doing.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think there's also an abusive expectation of retail workers in that those workers are supposed to spend all of their time being passionate and researching every aspect of the goods they sell so that they can deliver the highest possible level of customer service. any deviation from this unrealistic ideal is an excuse for someone to throw a tantrum

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Which is why everyone needs to work retail. Those people are dumb as poo poo and then ultimately get their way cause big corporations will eat the loss to make the customer “happy” while grinding their workers to dust.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I've always said the US should have a few years of compulsory retail service the same way some countries have compulsory military service.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Only after the boomers die, otherwise it's not fair to the first generation that has to go through that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

luxury handset posted:

i think there's also an abusive expectation of retail workers in that those workers are supposed to spend all of their time being passionate and researching every aspect of the goods they sell so that they can deliver the highest possible level of customer service. any deviation from this unrealistic ideal is an excuse for someone to throw a tantrum

Yes, on one hand this is true. No specific employee should be expected to be an expert on everything. However, I do believe it's reasonable to task retail management with ensuring that there's at least one person who is an expert on any given thing, in the store. How consistent this needs to be depends, to me, on the size of the store. Some small operation? "Come back Tuesday, that's when Frank's in." But at a Home Depot or a Best Buy where there's tons of employees, yeah, there should be at least one around at any given time that can answer a moderately in-depth question about any given product. But it's management's responsibility to make that happen.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Haha gently caress, you have to pay more to get experts. You aren’t getting an “expert” on part time slightly above minimum wage.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Haha gently caress, you have to pay more to get experts. You aren’t getting an “expert” on part time slightly above minimum wage.

Well then I guess you have to pay money to get an expert, or send a non-expert for training at your expense. Them's the breaks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's very difficult to guarantee subject matter expertise on every issue through the day, when your overriding priority as a manager is to not give anyone full-time hours.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PT6A posted:

Yes, on one hand this is true. No specific employee should be expected to be an expert on everything. However, I do believe it's reasonable to task retail management with ensuring that there's at least one person who is an expert on any given thing, in the store. How consistent this needs to be depends, to me, on the size of the store. Some small operation? "Come back Tuesday, that's when Frank's in." But at a Home Depot or a Best Buy where there's tons of employees, yeah, there should be at least one around at any given time that can answer a moderately in-depth question about any given product. But it's management's responsibility to make that happen.

Menards sells prefabricated framing you'd use to build a roof or frame an awning. They're hanging like 30 feet in the air on the wall. No retail employee is going to be a SME in roofs.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there's a difference in knowing about the products for sale in the store versus the kind of complex projects that can be undertaken with those products. i think this is especially true for hardware stores, where in the classic americana sense your hardware store employee is going to be some omnicompetent salty old white guy missing some fingers versus the reality of the person behind the paint counter being a mom on her second job who has been trained on how to mix and sell paint specifically

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I work in a meat department for a company that's currently in the process of driving out all their experienced meat market managers and folk. Why? Because they make close to twenty dollars an hour, lots of legacy workers from back when we actually cut the lion's share of our meat instead of selling a lot of pre-pack.

I've worked in the department for roughly two months now and we've still not had time to train me how to cut a steak. The time is not there. I know how to do it in theory, but I've only been shown once, and I'm not going to waste hundreds of dollars of ribeye and strip trying to wing out a sleigh of steaks to satisfy some finicky fucks who won't be happy with anything that falls from my knife.

We've people ask us if we cut roasts, or if we'll cut this that or the udder thing for them. No, we don't. No, we can't. Even if I knew how, if I cut anything that isn't authorized, I'll get extremely fired.

People ask me about the merits of this cut of steak versus that cut of steak. Just last night I told a guy, "I don't know, sir. It's a good week if I can afford to buy a cut of steak." It's even worse when people use old or regional names for cuts of meat. Y'all know what the gently caress a hog maw is? Pig stomach. You know what makes it better? When forty different geriatrics all have a different definition of what qualifies as a goddamn ham hock and none of them are satisfied with what you've got in stock.

One of the few rewarding things at work is when I learn to do new tasks and accumulate knowledge so of course they actively discourage it and everyone, managers and customers, get mad when you don't know.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

luxury handset posted:

there's a difference in knowing about the products for sale in the store versus the kind of complex projects that can be undertaken with those products. i think this is especially true for hardware stores, where in the classic americana sense your hardware store employee is going to be some omnicompetent salty old white guy missing some fingers versus the reality of the person behind the paint counter being a mom on her second job who has been trained on how to mix and sell paint specifically

Well, yeah, I think there's a difference between being able to ask someone at a Best Buy about the relative merits of different TV types or which laptop would be appropriate for a given use case, and pointing at some prefab roof stuff at Home Depot and expecting any employee to tell you how to use it to build a roof. Someone should, on the other hand, be able to tell you the relevant product information about prefab building supplies, like strength ratings, comparisons with other similar products, etc. and it's your responsibility as a store owner/manager to either find someone who knows that poo poo, or train them.

Management is getting off way too easy here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Late stage capitalism is a bitch.