Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

That was just racism, pure and simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
People talking about they felt "unsafe" at the Oscars, lol.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

"He might have killed him!"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

it was Judd Apatow who was like "He could have KILLED him!" right

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The way the moment was reacted to, you'd think Will Smith decked Chris Rock, who then did a full 360 and collapsed off the stage in agony. It was a slap from a 54 year old man.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I gotta tell you, I felt like a lot of that was conniving little white collar twerps who know, deep down, their passive-aggressive horseshit probably deserves a couple smacks.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the best part was Will Smith holding back tears after. celebrities are so hosed up lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yes, lol. Good grief!

These are all people who were buddies with Brett Ratner and whatnot. You've seen and probably done worse!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hard pass on Will loving Smith as my Marvel big bad. The gently caress are they even doing?

Smith's a good actor and all and can be physical (Ali) but who wants this?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Weirdest part is it’s like why is the guy who made Good Hair, a movie entirely about how black people get hosed up by having their hair commented on in a white dominated culture like America, making a crack about a black woman’s hair or lack thereof? Especially when you made the movie because your own daughter came up to you and asked why she had “bad” hair?! How loving myopic do you have to be to not go “maybe this will fly about as well as a dumbbell strapped to a chicken”

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Will Smith is a loser, a pathetic shell of a human, and possibly the biggest beta cuck on the planet.

Still a million times better than Majors.

But Marvel should just stop making movies for a couple years.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Man, wish I were a beta cuck.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Will Smith doing the Ian McKellen Only Pretends To Be A Wizard-sketch about starring in Ali.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The best part of the Will Snith situation is that he almost ruined his career for someone he was separated from.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

The best part of the Will Snith situation is that he almost ruined his career for someone he was separated from.

A part of Will Smith's rebranding to stay relevant has been going very TMI on his personal life, and he kind of comes across as a doormat who really wants to please people who really do not care for him. It's kind of wild when you consider that he's an insanely successful and beloved music & film star.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

More comedians should be publicly slapped for hack jokes imo

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Many actors and entertainers have an intense, near pathological need to be loved and appreciated, and society’s tendency to switch between that love and appreciation to hatred and criticism can only intensify that need, or sometimes drive them into the sort of nervous/emotional breakdowns that scatter the landscape of tabloids found in every checkout aisle and newsstand across the first world. Some fill the void between those moments with drugs, sex, or romances that never last, and only dull the need somewhat; some figure out they’re in a spiral and climb out of it. Some find faith, some find therapy, some find nothing and it ends in darkness, pain, and obituaries. So it goes.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Cameo posted:

Weirdest part is it’s like why is the guy who made Good Hair, a movie entirely about how black people get hosed up by having their hair commented on in a white dominated culture like America, making a crack about a black woman’s hair or lack thereof? Especially when you made the movie because your own daughter came up to you and asked why she had “bad” hair?! How loving myopic do you have to be to not go “maybe this will fly about as well as a dumbbell strapped to a chicken”

THANK YOU!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

Many actors and entertainers have an intense, near pathological need to be loved and appreciated, and society’s tendency to switch between that love and appreciation to hatred and criticism can only intensify that need, or sometimes drive them into the sort of nervous/emotional breakdowns that scatter the landscape of tabloids found in every checkout aisle and newsstand across the first world. Some fill the void between those moments with drugs, sex, or romances that never last, and only dull the need somewhat; some figure out they’re in a spiral and climb out of it. Some find faith, some find therapy, some find nothing and it ends in darkness, pain, and obituaries. So it goes.

Pretty much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like there has to be an actor besides Majors or Smith out there. I know that is a controversial statement but I'm pretty sure you don't have to pick between the two and can instead find someone who isn't a garbage fire in different ways. Smith is a step up from Majors but still.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Tim heidecker is Kang.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like there has to be an actor besides Majors or Smith out there. I know that is a controversial statement but I'm pretty sure you don't have to pick between the two and can instead find someone who isn't a garbage fire in different ways. Smith is a step up from Majors but still.

Sam Jackson as Kang? Morgan Freeman as Kang??

LL Cool J as Kang???

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Tim heidecker is Kang.

It all comes back to antman!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
This Twitter account you all are taking completely seriously for some reason seems legit.

https://twitter.com/PhysicalMedia_/status/1739072897715741004

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Keith David as Kang. I would go to so many Marvel movies just so I could hear his voice.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

josh04 posted:

Man, wish I were a beta cuck.

the only way to get beta is to practice

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Crackbone posted:

I'm not hip to the mainstream, but replacing the guy convicted of assault with the dude who committed unprovoked assault on live TV, seems like a bad look?

Public sentiment has come out pretty strongly on Smith's side about the Oscar thing, especially after people pointed out that Jada Pinkett Smith has been the butt of some of Rock's jokes for years, way before the Oscars even.

The Cameo posted:

Chris Rock has always been a comic who relied on a lot of misogynoir-ish tropes in his routines and he's not really evolved much, despite his support for movies like Good Hair (which is not quite as good as it gets credit for, IMO). I think he attempted to launder some of his reputation when he did that big press tour like a decade ago for Top Five but it didn't really stick because his personal opinions are clearly borderline reprehensible.

Neurolimal posted:

A part of Will Smith's rebranding to stay relevant has been going very TMI on his personal life, and he kind of comes across as a doormat who really wants to please people who really do not care for him. It's kind of wild when you consider that he's an insanely successful and beloved music & film star.

This is probably the biggest risk with Smith, he has just not transitioned well to the current era of celebrity where part of the formula for success is sharing a bunch of personal stuff so as to create the sense of a parasocial relationship with the audience. All the stuff about the open relationship with JPS, his stage dad tendencies with his kids, the stuff with Margot Robbie, etc - there's no small chance something really weird comes out and throws off the marketing for a big tentpole MCU thing but honestly Smith has been Teflon to any lasting reputation hits. Little reason to think that won't continue.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 27, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
the next marvel movie isn't all the way till May with Captain America..

and I guess Thunderbolts? which I feel is gonna be weak. Looking forward to some hopefully more grounded marvels after the past few loaded mystical/other world stuff. Some nice little earth espionage stuff might be okay again. Don't think the new Cap can carry it though.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Will Smith as The Will Smith, a man who forges the multiverse into whatever shape he pleases

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Rhonne posted:

Keith David as Kang. I would go to so many Marvel movies just so I could hear his voice.

The phase ends with Ant Man and Kang sitting across from each other in a quantum wasteland. "Why don't we wait awhile....see what happens?"

vegetables posted:

Will Smith as The Will Smith, a man who forges the multiverse into whatever shape he pleases

Again, wish this drat forum had a "buy a poster a drink" button for a post like this. Extremely clever.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

GateOfD posted:

the next marvel movie isn't all the way till May with Captain America..

and I guess Thunderbolts? which I feel is gonna be weak. Looking forward to some hopefully more grounded marvels after the past few loaded mystical/other world stuff. Some nice little earth espionage stuff might be okay again. Don't think the new Cap can carry it though.

Isn't the next Cap the one they had to heavily re-work since it had an IDF "hero" as a major character and *gestures broadly towards the smoking rubble of the Gaza Strip*.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

There's a fair few youngish Black actors out there who haven't already been cast in an MCU flick and I'm sure would be happy to get a big check from Disney for a few years. Lakeith Stanfield, Trevante Rhodes, Donald Glover, JDW, Kofi Siriboe, Boyega (if the threw enough money at him), Andre Holland, Regé-Jean Page, etc. Michael K Williams also would've been great too, RIP.

Holland or Page would be my pick but any of those guys would do a solid job. Glover would be the most predictable (and boring) re-cast but given his agitation around Spider-man stuff for years it might energize the MCU fanbase.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

There's a fair few youngish Black actors out there who haven't already been cast in an MCU flick and I'm sure would be happy to get a big check from Disney for a few years. Lakeith Stanfield, Trevante Rhodes, Donald Glover, JDW, Kofi Siriboe, Boyega (if the threw enough money at him), Andre Holland, Regé-Jean Page, etc. Michael K Williams also would've been great too, RIP.

Holland or Page would be my pick but any of those guys would do a solid job. Glover would be the most predictable (and boring) re-cast but given his agitation around Spider-man stuff for years it might energize the MCU fanbase.

Wasn't Donald Glover Aaron Davis/The Prowler in Homecoming (and Across The Spider-Verse?) Not that they couldn't reuse him.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

will smith does seem like the safe choice that makes sense both for disney and for him at this weird chapter of his career where his old image is sort of faded and he needs to reinvent himself if he plans on continuing to act. but he's still will smith so his "risky villain turn role" would definitely just be playing the heavy in some Marvel movies

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Wasn't Donald Glover Aaron Davis/The Prowler in Homecoming (and Across The Spider-Verse?) Not that they couldn't reuse him.

He was Aaron Davis in Homecoming (more of an easter egg than any sort of commitment to a live action Miles Morales storyline in the future) and then an alternate universe Prowler in ATSV. Recasting worked out great with Chris Evans and with no real issues when they swapped out Terrence Howard for Don Cheadle, so no reason they couldn't do it here. And tbh they hopefully have learned the right lessons from BP2 where they should've just recast T'Challa, make the correct noises about honoring Boseman's legacy, and then moved on.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Will Smith can do YouTube anytime: https://youtu.be/twa_7XVCpNQ?feature=shared

Also, this thread has breached my news algo so now I'm putting this here: https://www.cbr.com/patty-jenkins-wonder-woman-1984/

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pirate Jet posted:

This Twitter account you all are taking completely seriously for some reason seems legit.

:gowron:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This was so awesome lol.

Hilarious

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

And? Someone needs to be asking the tough questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Will Smith can pass and then it'll go to Keanu Reeves. Worked for the Matrix!

Also I feel like Godzilla is already draggin a wagon, normally the enormous tail just gets in the way. This is just Godzilla after ditching his tail to escape an even larger Kaiju toddler.