Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

WrenP-Complete posted:

We updated the Irma charities list (found here - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Um3j5mHkS7bR72Zc625qtQ0P1QRNCXPGtIMx7HWKNb), and we have some charities specifically for USVI and non mainland US.

Here's what we've got right now - mostly this is a list of lists - and please let me know if we should add more

this is good and you are good. thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

The worst part about all the 9/11 ceremonies is the people who are incapable of letting others mourn/remember in their own way. Oh, you don't want to watch the ceremonies and talk about what it was like watching the towers come down? Well you must be an al-Qaeda sympathizer!

Or conversely, "you want to keep fetishizing this day every year, you're broken just move on."

People will bitch about the stupidest stuff. Everyone copes differently. If the 9/11 retrospectives aren't your game you can watch day 22 of the Hurricane Apocalypse on the Weather Channel.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pembroke Fuse posted:

God, I hope so. However, I fear that Kelly will edit his speech down to:
"what a crowd!"
"radical islam terrorists are bad people"
"We're doing amazing things in the middle east"
"those were good towers. great towers"

Post your predictions!

I think you pretty much nailed it, except you left out a mention of his huge electoral college victory.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Boris Galerkin posted:

100% he wasn't oblivious to it. He knows. But all of his peers and cop buddies do the same, so he had to fit in. This is also exactly what the dude in the video says. He knows it's "one bad apple" but at the same time he knows that one bad apple spoils the entire thing. Maybe this cop didn't start off this way, but the "one bad apples" certainly changed him and everyone else in his squad, assuming he wasn't like this already.

In large part that "bad apple" isn't even a cop, his name is Dave Grossman. He travels around the country doing "safety" workshops for police officers which basically are a pep rally for how when you kill somebody as a cop, you're going to go home and have the best sex of your life.

He also wrote a book called "On Killing" which is extraordinarily masturbatory.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Boon posted:

At the very least, 9/11 represents an inflection point in America and in history in general and that should be pondered.

yeah at the very least it's definitely a before and after moment.

With uh nothing good coming after.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Reminder that USPOL is back for non Trump related USPOL

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833800

Being I'm a horrible statist, the tax is all animals, dogs only is too regressive.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

A friend of mine died in a ski accident back in 1999. I still visit her grave twice a year: once on her birthday and once on the day she died. I don't get "broke brains" about it, but it's a nice way for me to remember somebody that meant a lot to me. I consider it a way of celebrating her life. Also, she died on March 15, so I make a lot of perverse "Ides of March" jokes.

The perversion of the 9/11 ceremonies is that they have nothing to do with remembering or celebrating the victims. It's the political equivalent of wearing an American flag lapel pin. Politicians are effectively required to mourn to show how patriotic they are.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

16 years ago, the president bragged that his building was now the tallest building in New York.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Rigel posted:

16 years ago, the president bragged that his building was now the tallest building in New York.

I feel like this is one of those times a small idea like this should be trending on Twitter, but that would be a Good Thing.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Your Taint posted:

I think you pretty much nailed it, except you left out a mention of his huge electoral college victory.

You're right.

"and let me tell you folks I had a huge victory. biggest one ever"
"what was Crooked Hillary doing on 9/11?"
"Obama created ISIS"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Carlosologist posted:

We're also crossing that plane where kids who are going to vote in 2018 will have no memory at all of the event. 2020 will feature those who remember it as that dumb thing we talk about every year in social studies/history

Not too far after 2020 you'll have teachers teaching the social studies class that were infants when 9/11 happened who are teaching that class.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What does get taught in school about 9/11?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

TheMadMilkman posted:

The perversion of the 9/11 ceremonies is that they have nothing to do with remembering or celebrating the victims. It's the political equivalent of wearing an American flag lapel pin.
Politicians are effectively required to mourn to show how patriotic they are.

1) Be religious

"We worship God in America!"

2) Never Forget

"Our values will endure."

3) Condemn Nazis

"There is hatred and bigotry, ON MANY SI--D'OH!"

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

coyo7e posted:

In large part that "bad apple" isn't even a cop, his name is Dave Grossman. He travels around the country doing "safety" workshops for police officers which basically are a pep rally for how when you kill somebody as a cop, you're going to go home and have the best sex of your life.

Oh yeah, this is the murder boner guy. Whenever I hear about him, I think of this (also relevant to 9/11 references):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG8krx040VE

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Communities Nationwide Create Local Monuments With Sept. 11 Artifacts

This was an odd segment on Morning Edition. People flocking to random museums in the middle of nowhere to touch salvaged pieces of the WTC, like they were pilgrims in the Middle Ages pursuing saints' relics.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Fixed that for you.

Thinking that one can't get-got and then getting-got really does something to an in-group.

Come on.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Why "move on" as a country when we could hold a vigil for this every year to prop up the "violent Islam" narriative? A free bump for Are Troops every year is not going to get passed over.

To be fair, American doesn't have to hold a vigil to prop up that narrative. Extremist incidents still happen and are very useful for propping up the narrative that all Muslims are violent.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Deteriorata posted:

This was an odd segment on Morning Edition. People flocking to random museums in the middle of nowhere to touch salvaged pieces of the WTC, like they were pilgrims in the Middle Ages pursuing saints' relics.

I don't think Bin Laden ever predicted how he and his band would literally break some people's brains. Theyre building one of these in my home town.

In the Pacific northwest.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Chilichimp posted:

To be fair, American doesn't have to hold a vigil to prop up that narrative. Extremist incidents still happen and are very useful for propping up the narrative that all Muslims are violent.

Then US bombings props up the narrative that America is the great Satan.
It's a vicious cycle.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Deteriorata posted:

The worship of Graven Idols is as old as civilized Humanity.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

RuanGacho posted:

I don't think Bin Laden ever predicted how he and his band would literally break some people's brains. Theyre building one of these in my home town.

In the Pacific northwest.

People get really ghoulishly "into" mass casualty events, and with September 11th it's even worse because in America we can all pretend it "affected" us even if all we did was watch it on TV and enable Bush. There's a Titanic museum in Tennessee that scratches the same itch.

There was a big shooting at my college right before I graduated, and the ensuing weeks-long media vigil of unaffected people trying to steal a piece of our grief was maddening.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just hope we're all dead before it becomes acceptable for businesses to do Patriot Day promotions.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Here's the best article ever written about the human dimension of 9/11. You should read it.

The Real Heroes are Dead.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What does get taught in school about 9/11?

I was in a 7th grade class not 15 minutes ago moving some laptops and it was the teacher telling their story, asking the kids what they knew, then watching a video of phone calls from 9/11. The kids actually seemed pretty well informed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Watching it on TV obsessively hosed people up more than actually seeing it in person.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

haveblue posted:

I just hope we're all dead before it becomes acceptable for businesses to do Patriot Day promotions.

Towering SUV prices are collapsing, this weekend only! You'll never forget these savings, it's a real fire sale!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PerniciousKnid posted:

Towering SUV prices are collapsing, this weekend only! You'll never forget these savings, it's a real fire sale!

Onion

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
New Yorkers are simultaneously ruining the country and also the real heroes for getting 9/11ed.

Caros
May 14, 2008

JonathonSpectre posted:

Here's the best article ever written about the human dimension of 9/11. You should read it.

The Real Heroes are Dead.

Thanks. I needed to cry like a grade school child today. :(

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

coyo7e posted:

I find this really surprising that Grossman went in this direction, but you're right.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/02/dave-grossman-training-police-militarization/

I admittedly read "On Killing" more than 20 years ago, but I thought his view was that our military has been intentionally breaking the brains of US soldiers after studies in World War II showed that most soldiers were too grounded in morality and compassion to kill without intentionally conditioning them to view their enemy as a dehumanized other. The result has been producing soldiers who are great at killing and pretty much terrible at the non-combat tasks that the US government has been asking soldiers to fulfill (like, police roles and civilian support).

It's really sad that Grossman's conclusion is to turn the world into an even worse killing zone. That book actually is popular among domestic violence counselors I worked with during my interships because it describes very well the kind of mentality abusers cultivate to justify their treatment of others.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Caros posted:

Thanks. I needed to cry like a grade school child today. :(

I can't get over how well-written and engrossing it is. You know what's going to happen, you know it, and still when it does it's like a thunderbolt of grief and horror.

I find myself sometimes doing what other posters in this thread have done today, raging at our stupidity and fear and hubris in how we reacted to 9/11. But today's not about remembering that. Today's about remembering Rick Rescorla and all the others we don't know about whose stories are just like his, ended too soon by the actions of murderous fanatics.

If you love someone, today's the day to let them know it. The enduring lesson of 9/11 for all of us should be that tomorrow's never guaranteed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Just a reminder that Senator Kid Rock and Senator Mitt Romney will be negotiating with President Donald Trump in 2019.

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/907233581763907590

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best piece of critical media about 9/11 is that political cartoon that's a collection of newspaper strip parodies except the punchline to all of them is "terrorists destroyed the world trade center, killing thousands".

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just a reminder that Senator Kid Rock and Senator Mitt Romney will be negotiating with President Donald Trump in 2019.

I still won't vote for him (I throw my Utah vote away every year by pressing the "straight D" button), but I'm curious which version of Mitt would come out in a state election.

He'd still vote the party line, regardless.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Reminder, the Kid Rock poll was fake and from a fake polling firm:

quote:

After Delphi Analytica released its Michigan survey (it has released eight polls in all), I received a direct message on Twitter from Michael McDonald, a source I had spoken to before. McDonald follows political betting markets and had previously contacted me about another survey firm, CSP Polling, that he believed was a shell organization started by some people who use PredictIt, a betting market for political propositions. McDonald said that CSP stood for “Cuck Shed Polling.” Like Delphi Analytica, CSP Polling doesn’t list anyone who works there on its website.

McDonald, who most recently worked as the social media manager for The Moving Picture Institute’s “We The Internet” YouTube series and has no official connection to any polling organizations or betting markets, told me that after the 2016 election, some PredictIt users started gathering in a chat room on Discord, a voice and text application often used by gamers, to talk politics and betting. McDonald shared screenshots from that chat room, where a person going by the screen name “Autismo Jones,” who claimed to have started Delphi Analytica, bragged about the publicity the Kid Rock poll was receiving. Jones, apparently reacting to an email I had sent to Delphi, wrote, “we dont need Harry Enten. we got governors tweeting out our polls. we are already famous.” Jones even claimed to have closed the comment section on Delphi Analytica’s post sharing the Kid Rock poll because people were saying the poll wasn’t real. The comment section did, in fact, close, but it has since reopened.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/fake-polls-are-a-real-problem/

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Avirosb posted:

Then US bombings props up the narrative that America is the great Satan.
It's a vicious cycle.

And blood vendettas are a barbaric remnant of the brutal Arabic culture. No siree, the war in Afghanistan and Iraq was totally different, you guys.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

haveblue posted:

The best piece of critical media about 9/11 is that political cartoon that's a collection of newspaper strip parodies except the punchline to all of them is "terrorists destroyed the world trade center, killing thousands".
Ruben Bolling.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but my own congressman, David Trott, is retiring:

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/907267079119802369

You won't be missed, Dave.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/907067073062330368

quote:

Police in Vancouver this afternoon arrested a man after a Patriot Prayer rally when he nearly ran his truck into a crowd of antifascist counter-protesters.

After a rally organized by the right-wing group Patriot Prayer, antifascist protesters marched north into downtown Vancouver along Columbia Avenue.

A black Chevy Silverado with Oregon plates and two large American flags and several small flags hanging from its windows (along with a Confederate flag decal displayed on the back window of the cab) drove up to the marchers. It was driving slowly down a street flanked by people dressed in black bloc clothing.

As the crowd parted to clear the way for the truck to move forward, protesters filled the street behind it and started throwing rocks and water bottles at the truck.

The driver suddenly put his vehicle in reverse and accelerated toward the protesters. As he sped up, people jumped out of the street.

The driver continued to drive in reverse for nearly a block, stopping at the next intersection and revving his engine.

The protesters yelled for everyone to clear the street and changed their path to escape the truck, walking down 6th Avenue to Washington Street. At that point, however, the truck re-appeared cutting the marchers off.

A Vancouver police vehicle pulled up behind he truck, sirens blaring, and the truck stopped after turning left on Washington Street. The man, who could not immediately identified, was arrested at the scene.

Police arrest a man who drove his truck into a crowd of antifa protesters in Vancouver, Wash. (Willy Gagan)
Police arrest a man who drove his truck into a crowd of antifa protesters in Vancouver, Wash. (Willy Gagan)
After the man was arrested, a group called the "Proud Boys" drove down Columbia Ave and sprayed pepper spray out their windows at protesters in the street. The counter-protesters lobbed rocks at their truck.

Police stopped the Proud Boys, but did not detain them. Fifteen minutes later they drove away.

But they didn't get far: Reporters nearby say the Proud Boys crashed into a police vehicle.

The Vancouver Patriot Prayer event had originally been scheduled to be held in Portland but organizer Joey Gibson changed his mind and moved it across the Columbia River. This afternoon's gathering attracted about 80 Gibson supporters and a crowd of counter-protesters, some of whom drove over after an earlier gathering in Portland at which police arrested seven people

Ban cars

Caros
May 14, 2008

JonathonSpectre posted:

I can't get over how well-written and engrossing it is. You know what's going to happen, you know it, and still when it does it's like a thunderbolt of grief and horror.

I find myself sometimes doing what other posters in this thread have done today, raging at our stupidity and fear and hubris in how we reacted to 9/11. But today's not about remembering that. Today's about remembering Rick Rescorla and all the others we don't know about whose stories are just like his, ended too soon by the actions of murderous fanatics.

If you love someone, today's the day to let them know it. The enduring lesson of 9/11 for all of us should be that tomorrow's never guaranteed.

I think it has to be both, though.

The US was fundamentally damaged, perhaps even nearly broken by 9/11. The poo poo people did in response, patriot acts, wars, torture. Some of it is understandable when you look back at the time. But we are sixteen years out, and things haven't gotten better.

If it happens again, if some crazy fucker working out of a cave kills a few thousand Americans with a well placed bomb, or a series of attacks, what is going to happen? Boston shut down for two days because of two assholes with crockpot bombs, and the US simply isn't even back to pre-9/11 levels of social liberties.

It sucks to have to discuss it on 9/11,but there are few days where the discussion is actually poignant enough to get through to people. The US lost more treasure and lies in the knee-jerk reaction than we did in the attack, and there really does need to be a discussion on how to prevent our base urges, before the next attack brings reichstag fire levels of hosed up to the US and the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but my own congressman, David Trott, is retiring:

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/907267079119802369

You won't be missed, Dave.

Any viable Dem candidates? From what I've read the district was created to be safe for Republicans but even still people are calling it to be a toss up.

• Locked thread