Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

colonelsandy posted:

Question. My cat is almost 1 year old now and is an rear end in a top hat. She won't stop digging her claws into everything (furniture, bed, my leg, my face, etc.). I bought her one of those scratch thingys that hangs on the door but she rarely uses it and being the little rear end in a top hat she is she prefers more expensive things despite my repeated threats against her furry rear end. Can anyone recommend a good and STURDY scratch post or something similar for her to use?

Also your cat is still in kitten rear end in a top hat stage. Mine ignores the two giant Armarkat trees and goes after the couch :argh: so at this point we just spray him with water or throw pillows at him or whatever since he's a butt hole. The water works well, until he sneaks back later.

If you get the cardboard scratcher, I'd avoid putting it on a carpet. They can get pretty messy (bits of cardboard everywhere) and hardwood or linoleum or whatever would probably be easier to clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

justFaye posted:

We started growing a flat of wheatgrass for the rabbits and the cat and they all love it. It's super easy to grow and is ready to eat about 10-14 days after planting, as long as the soil is super moist. Plus the seeds are cheap if you buy them online. The cat has never had a problem after eating wheatgrass and I read online that it is fine for them, assuming there are no chemicals on the grass.

I tried that, but the small flat I had always ended up as a sopping wet toy he'd carry around in his mouth.

My cat is just a little bit :downs:

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Guys, check out this sweet flyer that was on the door of the clinic this morning! These are NOT brown tabby kittens at all! ONLY FIFTY DOLLARS!!11!!1

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

RheaConfused posted:

Guys, check out this sweet flyer that was on the door of the clinic this morning! These are NOT brown tabby kittens at all! ONLY FIFTY DOLLARS!!11!!1

:ughh:

I realize I'm a total layperson when it comes to breeds, but based on this sweet Animal Planet documentary I watched recently (I know, I know), those don't even look a little bit like Abyssinians.

And poo poo, 50 dollar adoption fee? I hope they had their first round of shots and poo poo, otherwise let's call a spade a spade and admit they're selling cats for profit (I actually did pay 50 bucks a pop for my first two, but they had their first round of shots, deworming, and their first round of Revolution, or whichever brand, when I got them).

Speaking of my cats...the kitty in that poster looks suspiciously like Susake did when he was a kitten. OH MY GOD, I HAVE A PUREBRED!

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

RheaConfused posted:

Man ,you gotta post the website/phone number of that place I need a kitty.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Phuzzy posted:

Man ,you gotta post the website/phone number of that place I need a kitty.

Come to Houston and you can have this one.

He got overzealous during a syringe feeding and shoved his face in the bowl. :3:

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RheaConfused posted:

Come to Houston and you can have this one.

He got overzealous during a syringe feeding and shoved his face in the bowl. :3:

Man I don't know he looks all normal and not purebread

Infact you got batter all over him you monster

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Phuzzy posted:

Uh look at the picture dude, he's abbyyssinnian.

You caught me :lol: I was actually trying to drown him!

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Phuzzy posted:

Actually, the batter PROVES he's purebread. It just shows that he's not quite ready to come out of the oven yet. Give him 15 more minutes in the oven and he'll be a perfect purebread cat.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Auracounts posted:

:ughh:

I realize I'm a total layperson when it comes to breeds, but based on this sweet Animal Planet documentary I watched recently (I know, I know), those don't even look a little bit like Abyssinians.

And poo poo, 50 dollar adoption fee? I hope they had their first round of shots and poo poo, otherwise let's call a spade a spade and admit they're selling cats for profit (I actually did pay 50 bucks a pop for my first two, but they had their first round of shots, deworming, and their first round of Revolution, or whichever brand, when I got them).

Speaking of my cats...the kitty in that poster looks suspiciously like Susake did when he was a kitten. OH MY GOD, I HAVE A PUREBRED!

Actually it's a bad idea to advertise cats as "free to good home." By doing so, you greatly increase the odds that they will not in fact go to a good home. This link gives you sort of an idea of what can happen. Not that charging a fee guarantees a pet a good home but it helps to filter out a lot of really horrible fates for the animal. The moron who made the poster is obviously breeding the kittens to sell which is lovely as hell but to me it's almost better that she charge rather than give them away because god knows what would happen to them. :smith:

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

HondaCivet posted:

Actually it's a bad idea to advertise cats as "free to good home." By doing so, you greatly increase the odds that they will not in fact go to a good home. This link gives you sort of an idea of what can happen. Not that charging a fee guarantees a pet a good home but it helps to filter out a lot of really horrible fates for the animal. The moron who made the poster is obviously breeding the kittens to sell which is lovely as hell but to me it's almost better that she charge rather than give them away because god knows what would happen to them. :smith:

Oh jesus, that was some short-sightedness on my part. Good call. I kind of forgot about the crazy assholes out there that use small animals for cruel and unusual stunts.

I don't really want to click that link, do I? *Sigh* I will, just for education's sake, but gently caress if I don't hate you right now anticipating what's in that link.

Whatever. That poster shows purebreds. You're all just jealous that I have an Abyssian and you don't:

And if that poster is any indication, I also have an authentic Persian Coon!

Yes, I did just turn this into an excuse to post pictures of my cats.

Edit: I just looked at your link... I'm at a loss for words.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wisconsin advocates have for a long time been trying to stop the lax puppy mill laws around here and it's getting to the point where the Amish/Mennonite people around here who run the mill auctions are starting to move underground.

http://www.cchs-petshelter.org/id76.html

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Phuzzy posted:

Wisconsin advocates have for a long time been trying to stop the lax puppy mill laws around here and it's getting to the point where the Amish/Mennonite people around here who run the mill auctions are starting to move underground.

http://www.cchs-petshelter.org/id76.html

Yay Wisconsin: where there's little to no regulation of any kind but we still have to pay businesses to stay here because it's so devoid of anything worthwhile. Can't wait to get out of here.

Whenever I think of "free to good home" ads I can't forget that fucker in Janesville, WI who picked up "free to good home" cats and brutally killed them in his home in front of his kids for fun. He also made his kids watch him stuff a puppy in a plastic box and let it starve to death. gently caress if I'm looking up his name but seriously people don't post "free to good home" ads ever. Or move to Wisconsin, especially Janesville.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 29, 2010

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

Yay Wisconsin: where there's little to no regulation of any kind but we still have to pay businesses to stay here because it's so devoid of anything worthwhile. Can't wait to get out of here.

Whenever I think of "free to good home" ads I can't forget that fucker in Janesville, WI who picked up "free to good home" cats and brutally killed them in his home in front of his kids for fun. He also made his kids watch him stuff a puppy in a plastic box and let it starve to death. gently caress if I'm looking up his name but seriously people don't post "free to good home" ads ever. Or move to Wisconsin, especially Janesville.

but but Woodman's!

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

HondaCivet posted:

Jesus christ, what is wrong with people? Anyone else think the punishment for this kind of cruelty is way too low? Remember that rear end in a top hat bitch who baked her roommate's pet? Her sentence was way too light. Every time I think humanity has hit rock bottom, I hear some new story that shows just how creative people will be to reach that new level of supremely hosed up.

Edit - Thanks for the insight, Honda. I try hard to be optimistic, and it obviously clouds my judgment sometimes. I'd have completely forgotten that people will take advantage of free pets. I guess what I'm saying is, regardless of whether the breeder had an "oops" or is a BYB, a rehoming fee is, at a minimum, responsible.

Auracounts fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 29, 2010

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Auracounts posted:

Jesus christ, what is wrong with people? Anyone else think the punishment for this kind of cruelty is way too low? Remember that rear end in a top hat bitch who baked her roommate's pet? Her sentence was way too light. Every time I think humanity has hit rock bottom, I hear some new story that shows just how creative people will be to reach that new level of supremely hosed up.

He got the maximum sentence ever given for animal cruelty I believe, which is . . . 12 years. Yup. I'm sure he only got that because his kids are almost certainly hosed in the head for life now.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Both of my cats started as "free to a good home" and I'm glad no one else grabbed them up :ohdear:

oishii
Aug 13, 2006
hat
Just an update on my FIV kitty! I never did end up finding her a home :( So she's just gonna stay with me! She took to the place right away like she owned it, while my other cats just sort of looked confused for a while and then just shrugged it off.

For reference here is how I found her:

NO KITTY THAT'S NOT WHERE YOU SLEEP! :mad: (that's my outside doormat; she did this every day for about 2 or 3 weeks)

and now inside with a new collar! turns out she's a pretty little russian blue(?

and this is what she is forced to play with all day

also I'm pretty glad that my boy cat has a playmate now; although he is pretty dumb and doesn't really know when to quit it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zh-F2qxyRU

So thanks again all for the advice about FIV kitties! I'm glad I didn't take the vets' advice to "not keep the cat" or "lock her in your room forever" o_0

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

oishii posted:

Just an update on my FIV kitty! I never did end up finding her a home :( So she's just gonna stay with me! She took to the place right away like she owned it, while my other cats just sort of looked confused for a while and then just shrugged it off.

Sorry that you had such trouble finding her a home but at least she gets to stay with you! She looks so happy, maybe it was just meant to be. Anyway, if you haven't already, just make sure you read up on how to care for FIV+ cats. From what I have read, it's really important for them to have a good diet high in protein and vitamins and to keep their lives as stress-free as possible. It looks like the cats are getting along great though, "kitty hugs" are perfectly normal (and hilarious).

Also, I don't know if you've heard about it but there's a FIV vaccine. Don't bother with it, it will make your boy kitty test positive for FIV for the rest of his life and there's only a 50-70% chance it would protect him anyway. FIV is hard to transfer anyway and it looks like your cats are good friends and don't fight hard or anything.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

I think the indoor/outdoor debate is kind of a personal and cultural issue, but I just wanted to link to the Ohio State University CVM's Indoor Cat Initative website, in case you want to add it to the FAQ.

It is not at all a site that is preachy about keeping cats indoors, but rather has well organized suggestions and articles on the behavioral stimulation, nutritional, socialization and other unique needs of cats that are housed indoors.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I haven't had the time to read through everything in the link, but I trust you so it's been added. ;)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Hey everyone, as an update my two cats are now mostly getting along. They drank out of the same water dish today. Hooray.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey everyone, as an update my two cats are now mostly getting along. They drank out of the same water dish today. Hooray.

When they start sleeping curled around each other in a catpile we will of course need pics. :colbert:

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
Matins is doing much better! :D He's such a good boy about taking the antibiotics, too-- he clearly hates it, but he hasn't bitten, scratched, or spit it back up once.

Now that we're not dealing with sickness, we're trying to get the feeding thing under control, and I'm kind of confused. My cats were free-fed dry food at the shelter, so that's how we've been doing it here, but they're both eating more than the recommended amount, so we want to switch them to a meal schedule. I've also heard that feeding only dry food can make them dehydrated, so I wanted to switch to wet food, as well - but that means we can't use an auto-feeder.

Do we have to do two meals a day? Do they have to be at the exact same time every day? If we usually feed them at 7pm, and then one night we don't get home until 11pm, will they be okay with waiting? (I mean, presumably they won't be happy about it, but will it actually cause them any harm?)

If we usually feed them in the morning before we leave for work, will they then make it impossible to sleep in at all on weekends?

If we're going away for a day or a day and a half, could we switch back to dry food and use an auto-feeder? Or will they not eat it?

The hungry beasts in question (because all my Facebook friends are sick of cat pictures, but I can't stop taking them):

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Seven for a Secret posted:

Matins is doing much better! :D He's such a good boy about taking the antibiotics, too-- he clearly hates it, but he hasn't bitten, scratched, or spit it back up once.

Now that we're not dealing with sickness, we're trying to get the feeding thing under control, and I'm kind of confused. My cats were free-fed dry food at the shelter, so that's how we've been doing it here, but they're both eating more than the recommended amount, so we want to switch them to a meal schedule. I've also heard that feeding only dry food can make them dehydrated, so I wanted to switch to wet food, as well - but that means we can't use an auto-feeder.

Do we have to do two meals a day? Do they have to be at the exact same time every day? If we usually feed them at 7pm, and then one night we don't get home until 11pm, will they be okay with waiting? (I mean, presumably they won't be happy about it, but will it actually cause them any harm?)

If we usually feed them in the morning before we leave for work, will they then make it impossible to sleep in at all on weekends?

If we're going away for a day or a day and a half, could we switch back to dry food and use an auto-feeder? Or will they not eat it?

The hungry beasts in question (because all my Facebook friends are sick of cat pictures, but I can't stop taking them):

My cats' feeding schedule does vary by a couple hours either way due to weekends and such. They don't seem to notice much. I wouldn't worry about it, it isn't like they can read clocks or anything. They have a pretty good sense of when food time is but it isn't like they'll starve to death in an hour's time.

You could probably go back to the autofeeder for small periods of time if you keep dry food in their diet. Cats can get picky about "new" foods so you'll want to keep it a regular part of their meals. Best thing would probably be to just feed them some wet and dry at every meal. I guess you could maybe give them wet food in meals and leave a little dry food out all the time but you said they were eating too much as free-feeders so I don't know if that would work. They won't be thrilled at losing their wet food for a day but that's less traumatic than having to board them or whatever.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My girlfriend and her upcoming roommate, her good friend, both just decided on getting two kitties, one each. They're apparently Manx and Maine Coon mixes, pretty drat adorable already with nub-tails and all. They will be rooming together beginning in June, but they would be leaving out of state for a vacation on May 23 that they had already arranged months ago. Gaining two (free) kitties were unexpected, but they had also wanted kitties for a while and came upon those glorious ones. They're now 4-5 weeks old, and my girlfriend is distraught that she will be out of town for three weeks and missing out on the development of the two kitties.

Anyhow, I offered to take care of the kitties for those three weeks. I have experience raising a shelter kitten myself, ten years ago, which turned into a wonderful cat. I have a (different) cat myself, Tom-Tom the tuxedo cat, a very intelligent and mature 3 year old cat I adopted last summer. Tom goes along excellently with other cats, even becoming "aggressive" in meeting others that he encounters. I live in a house with a total of four cats. The kitties will be in our hands in 2-3 weeks, from a litter with both parents attending to them. I have a few questions...

1. What should we be feeding the kitties? My parents did the feeding of that kitty I had 10 years ago (crappy cat food). I feed Tom-Tom Solid Gold tuna wet food with Chicken Soup For the Cat Lover's Soul dry food. I already have in-depth knowledge on what premium food to feed adult cats, but I'm clueless about what to feed the kitties. Premium is required, of course.

2. Is it wise to keep the kitties in a house like that, with four cats? Two of them, including mine, are fit, outdoor cats. The other two are just fat asses who sit around. Tom-Tom is fine with meeting new cats, but the others would have to get used to it. Since my gf's new apartment (a short biking distance from mine) would be open for moving-in on June 1, it looks like we don't really have any option for May 23-June 1. Any advice?

3. My girlfriend has been worrying about me gaining the "parental role" for the kitties, resulting in them bonding to me and ignoring her and her roommate upon coming back from vacation. Tom-Tom pays attention mainly to me, and comes when I call him, but doesn't do the same for her. How do I assuage her, what should I do?

thanks!

bonus picture of kitty!

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 2, 2010

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
If they're only going to be there three weeks and they're tiny, keep them away from all the other cats - a bathroom, a bedroom, somewhere isolated. It'll take a week or so to properly introduce them to the other cats and they won't really warm up over that time frame. For food, ask in the pet food megathread - most of the premium brands offer kitten food, and they should be free-fed at this point.

From your timeline, they could just be 6 weeks when you pick them up. It's really better in the long run to not separate them from their mother and the rest of the litter until 8 weeks. And three weeks isn't going to prevent them from bonding with your girlfriend.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Seriously, let them be with their mom as long as possible. We've had cats that weren't with their mothers for the 8 weeks for various reasons and there's nothing more miserable than a cat that never learns to eat or clean itself properly. My sister's cat can't drink normally because we found her in the yard at a week old. This cat drinks by slapping her paw in water and licking the paw (my sister refused to show her how to lick milk out of a bowl :lol: ) and my newest cat, we don't know anything about his past, but he's still learning to clean his own butt. FYI neither of these two cats know how to bury their own poo.

Kitten poo is bad enough. Kitten poo smeared on every surface of your house is the WORST. Let their mom do all the teaching work. They will still love you guys because cats are stupid. Really, really stupid. My cat loves his toy octopus and it never did anything for him. Stupid cat.

RepliCarter
Dec 5, 2007

Megalomaniac
We kind of adopted a stray cat two years ago. I named her Todd, because at the point of meeting she looked like a he. :v: Anyway, she has gotten pregnant various times the last two years but we never saw any kittens. Yes yes, we should have taken her in and had her spayed but... Yeah. I cannot properly defend myself for that one, money was just tight and all we had we had to spend on our own cats. (They all got sick last year, one nearly died, hundreds upon hundreds in E-vet and regular vet)

Anyway, today.

She brought all her little babbies here and put them in the little kitty house we made for her that she has never ever used.

SUDDENLY, KITTENS

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

We have four other cats. All spayed/neutered, get their shots, kept inside. We can't really bring the babies and Todd in because we don't want the possibility of feline leukemia in the house. That is, until we can get enough money together for everyone to be tested and fixed.

I'm worried about taking them all to a shelter. Todd we might have to keep because well... She's an adult, we all know adult cats don't fare well in shelters. The babies might have a chance.

Anyone have any advice? :( They are so loving cute and I don't want them to die.

edit:
gently caress she just brought a fourth one. I hope there aren't any more, there's a severe thunderstorm moving in. :[

RepliCarter fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 3, 2010

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

RepliCarter posted:

Anyone have any advice? :( They are so loving cute and I don't want them to die.

Call your local shelter. They'll have more local resources, maybe someone who has a spare room for mom + kittens until they're old enough to be separated and adopted. Kittens are fairly adoptable, mom should at least be spayed even if she stays outside - look for TNR programs. You run a certain risk of them being put down if they test positive for leukemia and maybe FIV, but the realistic alternative is a much-shortened life span as a semi-feral outdoor cat who may transmit it on to other cats, so it's not as cut and dried. Let them know you're willing to take the adult cat if it helps with their space constraints.

RepliCarter
Dec 5, 2007

Megalomaniac

Engineer Lenk posted:

Call your local shelter. They'll have more local resources, maybe someone who has a spare room for mom + kittens until they're old enough to be separated and adopted. Kittens are fairly adoptable, mom should at least be spayed even if she stays outside - look for TNR programs. You run a certain risk of them being put down if they test positive for leukemia and maybe FIV, but the realistic alternative is a much-shortened life span as a semi-feral outdoor cat who may transmit it on to other cats, so it's not as cut and dried. Let them know you're willing to take the adult cat if it helps with their space constraints.

Thank you very much, I'll contact them either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, now that the cats are looking good, I def think the one thing we need is a cat tower of sorts. Thoughts on something decent, cheap, simple? I don't need some crazy tree hut, just something with preferably two platforms.

Any other recommendations on cat stuff? So far they LOVE jingle balls, so thats the main thing, and we get some catnip toys. I'm thinking of getting some catnip from the catnip dude here too at some point.

And here is my catpile picture

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey guys, now that the cats are looking good, I def think the one thing we need is a cat tower of sorts. Thoughts on something decent, cheap, simple? I don't need some crazy tree hut, just something with preferably two platforms.

Honestly, if you really want something simple & cheap, you can make it yourself. Plywood, a couple two by fours, screws, & some carpet remnant is all you need. And ideally a staple gun, though I guess you can nail in the carpet too.

Otherwise, Armarkat. edit: And it looks like people sell them on Etsy, too, naturally.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 4, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Honestly, if you really want something simple & cheap, you can make it yourself. Plywood, a couple two by fours, screws, & some carpet remnant is all you need. And ideally a staple gun, though I guess you can nail in the carpet too.

Otherwise, Armarkat. edit: And it looks like people sell them on Etsy, too, naturally.

Going the Etsy route, much rather support the DIYers. Thanks!

RepliCarter
Dec 5, 2007

Megalomaniac
Update!

Once they are weaned, Todd will go in to get spayed and tested for FeLV and FIV. If negative, Todd comes home, we keep her as well as one of her babies(gray and white one) and we will look for good homes for the other two.

If positive... Well, they lived like royalty for a month.

Picture:

Click here for the full 631x540 image.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
Just adopted him today! Currently napping on me as I type this.

He is 5 weeks and was rejected by his mom according to the people I adopted him from. Any advice on special needs kitty?

Also, cab cats dream? he is a jumpy sleeper.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
Do you have another cat? If not, you should get one. 5 weeks and no sibling is a high chance of a an angry kitty.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:

RheaConfused posted:

Do you have another cat? If not, you should get one. 5 weeks and no sibling is a high chance of a an angry kitty.

He was the only one up for adoption, I'm on the look out for another kitten though. He needed a good home and I couldn't say no because he is freakin adorable.

He is kinda dumb but really sweet and a cry baby. He was scared of a tiny little spider.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

second best sponge posted:

He was the only one up for adoption, I'm on the look out for another kitten though. He needed a good home and I couldn't say no because he is freakin adorable.

He is kinda dumb but really sweet and a cry baby. He was scared of a tiny little spider.

It's currently kitten season, so shelters everywhere are going to have plenty of kittens to pick from. Good look with your little kitty, a friend will help him immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Do you guys think he should get a slightly older kitten/cat that's been well-socialized with other cats? 5 weeks is a bit early, he's really going to need help learning how to do kitty things.