Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.
I wish that it was not such a pain in the rear end to apply for jobs, i would be interested in leaving public accounting at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
It's like that for every USAJobs posting, FYI. Well, every one that requires transcripts or additional material. If it refers to some other site - Homeland, DEA, etc often do this - then yeah, you would have to spend an hour fiddling around to know where to send stuff. Oftentimes it would be directly in the job posting, usually the last few lines.

I'm not sure if Faxing it or mailing a PDF is easier, though.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.
I think we're looking at working on CRs for the entire rest of the fiscal year. :sigh: Bad timing for me.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Finally got something on paper that I converted on the first. And since CIS is a fee-based org, less need to worry about furloughs.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Well I just got all my tax stuff in the mail, which brings up a question. For the average federal worker in DC, roughly what percent of my salary should I expect to take home? I'd like to construct a sort of preliminary salary for the coming months, but I won't get my first actual paycheck until sometime around May 6th. I know this probably differs a lot per person depending on health insurance and retirement and such...so feel free to tell me to shhh.

Also, and I may just ask recruiting about this too, but I thought I'd run it by you guys (who knows, it might be useful for someone else too) I'm currently living on Capitol Hill, but I'm moving to NoVa on August 1st. Do I need to redo all my tax paperwork then or can I fill stuff out for my future address now? It just seems annoying to all parties involved to redo EVERYTHING in like 4 months.

edit: Just wanted to add that I can't even believe I'm starting my job in like three and a half weeks.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

CherryCola posted:

Well I just got all my tax stuff in the mail, which brings up a question. For the average federal worker in DC, roughly what percent of my salary should I expect to take home? I'd like to construct a sort of preliminary salary for the coming months, but I won't get my first actual paycheck until sometime around May 6th. I know this probably differs a lot per person depending on health insurance and retirement and such...so feel free to tell me to shhh.

Also, and I may just ask recruiting about this too, but I thought I'd run it by you guys (who knows, it might be useful for someone else too) I'm currently living on Capitol Hill, but I'm moving to NoVa on August 1st. Do I need to redo all my tax paperwork then or can I fill stuff out for my future address now? It just seems annoying to all parties involved to redo EVERYTHING in like 4 months.

edit: Just wanted to add that I can't even believe I'm starting my job in like three and a half weeks.

It's the first thought/question I had too, but of course, as you know, the short answer is that you'll need to wait for your first pay stub to really know.

That said, yes, it depends on insurance (~$30-60 per pay period--every two weeks-- depending on what plan you get, assuming you're on a single plan) and poo poo, and where you live. People talk poo poo about how MD taxes more or DC taxes more or whatever, but the whole DMV taxes you to poo poo so don't bother with the arguments too much. For really rough math expenses, figure you'll take home ~60% (it will realistically be closer to 66-67%, depending on bracket and your pay grade, but be on the safe side and consider that factoring in TSP, insurance, etc).

In your calculations, remember you get paid 26 times per year. Don't do your math based on dividing by 12 or someshit. You get 26 pay periods. Also google for salary calculators because I am pretty sure there's one that lets you factor in tax and locality info to get the real numbers that I seem to recall nailing it when I was checking into mine.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Oh and you have to do your W-2 and tax paperwork for wherever you lived when paid, but there's a limit. If you made under $X, you don't have to file; I forget the number unfortunately, so look it up for DC's.

Honestly though, I lived in MD/VA/DC in 2010 and filed in all three. TurboTax makes it easy. You won't have to re-do much at all when you move... the W-2 is super easy/simple and you can get it from your agency's HR no problem. It might even be changeable online at work. So don't worry about that part.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh balls, I just found out I have to go to freaking Reston for a good chunk of my orientation. Either I need to find a nice person who wants to carpool or I need to be on the metro at 5:58 am.

Welp.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Stupid question: I finally got on USAJobs and when I apply for positions (using their resume builder, filling out the questionnaire), they often send me an email saying 'oh, by the way, you also need to send us a written resume and transcripts.' But they never say where. Where do I find out where to send these things?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Stupid question: I finally got on USAJobs and when I apply for positions (using their resume builder, filling out the questionnaire), they often send me an email saying 'oh, by the way, you also need to send us a written resume and transcripts.' But they never say where. Where do I find out where to send these things?

You can upload both to your documents. (Edit: Your USAJOBS documents in your profile.)

Each vacancy is a unique snowflake in that some will take uploaded documents while others require you to fax it in with an autogenerated fax cover sheet.

Ready the vacancy announcement and highlight every time it says "Submit _________ via ________".

I uploaded my fresh sf-50 and other stuff today with my SSN redacted.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 21, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Evil SpongeBob posted:

You can upload both to your documents.

Each vacancy is a unique snowflake in that some will take uploaded documents while others require you to fax it in with an autogenerated fax cover sheet.

Ready the vacancy announcement and highlight every time it says "Submit _________ via ________".

I uploaded my fresh sf-50 and other stuff today with my SSN redacted.

Oh, then the warning I'm getting for a lot of these is just a 'if it matters' statement. Reading through the descriptions really just say 'just use your resume and any documents if we bother to choose you,' so I'll be fine. I'll go through them again just to make sure.

Thanks!

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
How long after a job posting closes do they usually come out with a decision?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

madkapitolist posted:

How long after a job posting closes do they usually come out with a decision?

As long as they feel like.

edit: don't expect it to be soon :smith:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

As long as they feel like.

edit: don't expect it to be soon :smith:

Earlier in the thread I think it was six to eight months. I'm graduating in that amount of time so I'm putting in applications as often as I can. I get the feeling I might be better off just playing the lottery. Then again, that's pretty much the American job market in a pinch.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Hhahaha holy poo poo, Im graduating in 3 months so I guess I shouldn't expect to hear from the FDIC by then.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

madkapitolist posted:

Hhahaha holy poo poo, Im graduating in 3 months so I guess I shouldn't expect to hear from the FDIC by then.

I'm going on month 15 after applying for a transfer to another agency. Like I said earlier, go on with your life and find non-Federal employment whenever you are applying for a Federal job. That way, it's a nice surprise when you get the final offer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Any news on the new version of the FCIP yet?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Cool to see this thread. I'm a NOAA goon and have been with them for 8 years now. For some content... making sure you have the ride documents uploaded and included with your application is important! I applied for a promotion I was really hoping to get only to gently caress myself dry up the rear end by not including an SF50 (which proves I'm already a gov't employee). That sure was an awesome way to not get a job.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

SirPablo posted:

Cool to see this thread. I'm a NOAA goon and have been with them for 8 years now. For some content... making sure you have the ride documents uploaded and included with your application is important! I applied for a promotion I was really hoping to get only to gently caress myself dry up the rear end by not including an SF50 (which proves I'm already a gov't employee). That sure was an awesome way to not get a job.

I guess I have it easy in some regard: I'm not a government employee so the only thing a lot of places have asked me for is a transcript (unofficial so far) and a resume. And the latter you can do on USAJobs because NASA and a few other places only like those kind.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

psydude posted:

Any news on the new version of the FCIP yet?

I don't believe it's going to be ready until later in the year, if not the end of it (IIRC there was no mandate/deadline for implementing the new one). Border Patrol had me sign an updated agreement a week or two ago that changed it to a 1-year probationary period rather than the two of FCIP I applied under, but other FCIP programs just outright canceled those applications because of the change.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I don't believe it's going to be ready until later in the year, if not the end of it (IIRC there was no mandate/deadline for implementing the new one). Border Patrol had me sign an updated agreement a week or two ago that changed it to a 1-year probationary period rather than the two of FCIP I applied under, but other FCIP programs just outright canceled those applications because of the change.

That would cut it close for 2010 grads in regards to the 2 year limit for pathways (especially with everything taking forever). I seriously hope things change, since I really would love to work for the government eventually. At least I have a private sector job in the DC area to hold me over for a long while and give me experience so I can apply in the GS 9+ grades whenever things change.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

NintyFresh posted:

That would cut it close for 2010 grads in regards to the 2 year limit for pathways (especially with everything taking forever). I seriously hope things change, since I really would love to work for the government eventually. At least I have a private sector job in the DC area to hold me over for a long while and give me experience so I can apply in the GS 9+ grades whenever things change.

I'm a December 2009 grad with a 2012 deadline to find a federal job or risk repaying a federal scholarship that exceeds my current annual income. It basically couldn't have been worse timing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

When the DA told me that they really wanted to hire me but couldn't it was pretty much like being dumped.

If they manage to get it together soon maybe I'll reapply, but right now I'm getting enough leads from the private sector that it looks like my short affair with the US government is about to end. I'm a 2011 grad, so I guess I've still got some time.

VanishXZone
Apr 1, 2010

Carlton Banks posted:

Has anyone been able to check their application status for IRS positions over the last week? I keep getting "We were unable to complete your request at this time." after USAJobs tries to forward to the IRS

I doubt any progress has been made, but just wondering.

I was getting that for a while but it seems the computer system has updated. I just wish they would provide more of an update; the silence is both deafening and maddening at this point.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Not giving anyone hope here, but I'm seeing a lot of calls for interviews among friends and such that I wasn't seeing a while ago. At my host agency, they sent an e-mail to "all" cryptically saying that details on how to operate in continual CRs will be forthcoming in the days ahead. I read that at the time--and still read it-- to mean that it'll be a pep talk of living in hard economic times, blah blah, but it seems like there are more vacancies popping up and calls being made than a week ago. I am turning down an interview this week, as is my girlfriend, so the jobs I want aren't coming to me yet, but.

Anyone else experiencing this or not?

gmilo
Jun 27, 2006
wooo

VanishXZone posted:

I was getting that for a while but it seems the computer system has updated. I just wish they would provide more of an update; the silence is both deafening and maddening at this point.

Last time I got silence from the IRS it was followed by the position being frozen due to budget related issues and then the position was closed altogether. Yay federal government.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Is there a specific credit union for federal employees? I need to get my finances in order and finally get myself a good credit card. In my experience, credit unions are usually best for that kind of stuff.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

CherryCola posted:

Is there a specific credit union for federal employees? I need to get my finances in order and finally get myself a good credit card. In my experience, credit unions are usually best for that kind of stuff.
Nope. Practically every department has their own credit union (e.g., Treasury, Energy, even the Census Bureau). It looks like the Constellation Federal Credit Union caters specifically to the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, but you should also take a look at the Pentagon Federal Credit Union.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CherryCola posted:

Do you work for any DoD agency? If so, I'd recommend USAA.

e: Never mind, it looks like they don't accept civilian employees.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 25, 2011

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

CheshireCat posted:

Nope. Practically every department has their own credit union (e.g., Treasury, Energy, even the Census Bureau). It looks like the Constellation Federal Credit Union caters specifically to the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, but you should also take a look at the Pentagon Federal Credit Union.

The PFCU looks pretty good, though the NGA is like the one agency that isn't eligible. My brother IS in the military though, so it looks like I could actually join the military family thingamajig.

Also, 17 days until I start my job!!

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

CherryCola posted:

The PFCU looks pretty good, though the NGA is like the one agency that isn't eligible. My brother IS in the military though, so it looks like I could actually join the military family thingamajig.

Also, 17 days until I start my job!!
The NGA is part of the DoD which is eligible. But, yes, you would also be eligible with having an immediate family member in the military. Or, if all else fails, you can drop $20 to join the NMFA and be eligible through them.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

gmilo posted:

Last time I got silence from the IRS it was followed by the position being frozen due to budget related issues and then the position was closed altogether. Yay federal government.

I wonder if I should start expecting this for the revenue agent position I applied for. A few weeks ago I noticed an email in my spam folder dated March 3 saying that the IRS would begin scheduling assessments in the next week, but that is the last I have heard from them (and I've been watching my spam folder like a hawk).

I should probably just take the approach others have mentioned and assume that nothing will happen until I get a pleasant surprise a year from now.

If anyone has received one recently, do assessment notices come from HCO.SBSEexternal@irs.gov like the previous email? I added a filter to send it to my inbox instead of the spam filter, but that won't help if the assessment notice comes from somewhere else :allears:

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

There's much debate between which FCU is best (Navy, Tower, Pentagon mostly). But sign up for USAA.

VanishXZone
Apr 1, 2010

Carlton Banks posted:

I wonder if I should start expecting this for the revenue agent position I applied for. A few weeks ago I noticed an email in my spam folder dated March 3 saying that the IRS would begin scheduling assessments in the next week, but that is the last I have heard from them (and I've been watching my spam folder like a hawk).

I should probably just take the approach others have mentioned and assume that nothing will happen until I get a pleasant surprise a year from now.

If anyone has received one recently, do assessment notices come from HCO.SBSEexternal@irs.gov like the previous email? I added a filter to send it to my inbox instead of the spam filter, but that won't help if the assessment notice comes from somewhere else :allears:

I haven't received anything else either, aside from the automatic updates from USAjobs whenever there's an update to your status (which is when I went from application received to them reviewing qualifications). From the sounds of it they simply had more applications than expected so they're working to sort through everything.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
I should hopefully be starting my GS-7 job soon. How does the internal recruitment system work after your one year probationary period ends? Am I allowed to apply to GS-11 positions outside of competitive service or am I only able to apply to GS-9 as an internal candidate? I have a degree which allows substitution for experience in many of the GS-11 so I'd like to move up quickly through internal vacancies if possible.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

blar posted:

I should hopefully be starting my GS-7 job soon. How does the internal recruitment system work after your one year probationary period ends? Am I allowed to apply to GS-11 positions outside of competitive service or am I only able to apply to GS-9 as an internal candidate? I have a degree which allows substitution for experience in many of the GS-11 so I'd like to move up quickly through internal vacancies if possible.
Most jobs require you to have at least one year experience at the prior level. There are some exceptions for some professional programs which fast track you GS-7-9-11 (you should already know if this applied to you) with just 6 months between GS-7 and GS-9, but for the most part, you're stuck looking at just the next GS level.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I'm a relatively fresh college grad, and man, there is a lot to applying for jobs on this site. They want so much info :psyduck:

Does it matter if my resume is searchable or not?

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 26, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Gadamer posted:

I'm a relatively fresh college grad, and man, there is a lot to applying for jobs on this site. They want so much info :psyduck:
Just wait until you get offered a job, and have to fill out the form for a security clearance...

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Carlton Banks posted:

Most likely the hiring was either canceled or frozen due to the Government running on a continuing resolution still. The same thing happened in 2009. The good news is, last time the CR was passed, agencies only had half of the year to spend all their hiring money so they ended up hiring a ton of people quickly. Make sure you start checking USAJobs as soon as a budget is passed for this year in case they do a new hire instead of emailing old applicants. Also, the proposed budget for next year has been increased substantially and it's mostly for hiring.

blar posted:

For internal hire you have to have a year at GS7 to apply for a GS9, and then another year as a GS9 to apply for a GS11. You can still apply externally for any GS11 positions while you're a GS7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

grover posted:

Just wait until you get offered a job, and have to fill out the form for a security clearance...

Have to get offered a job first :eng99: