Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I keep walking out to my garage and giggling, I'm so much more in love with this car than I was with my white cabrio.

Crosspost from the ride thread.

I've already ordered smoked marker lights and once I wrangle up some money will get new headlights/driving lights/taillights. Not smoked but "blackout" like in the 500 turbos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Just a heads up if anyone is in the market: http://www.ocfiat.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500+Abarth-72240f980a0a00e06ac614a853c0dd7f.htm

MSRP* $22814
Dealer Discount $2,281
Sale Price $20,533
Rebate $4,000
OC Net Price $16,533

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

drat, I wish I could find deals like that around seattle, I don't think I could walk away from one that cheap. The best deal I can find is $19,545 for a base 2014 abarth.

http://www.fiatusaofrenton.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500+Abarth-b09a7eb00a0a0064044cbf8a7d96b889.htm

*edit*
poo poo, I don't know why the cars pages don't reflect the special price I found on another page

http://www.fiatusaofrenton.com/specials/new.htm

$15,988. I think I will have to go visit that dealer this weekend.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 14, 2014

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

TheGoatTrick posted:

Just a heads up if anyone is in the market: http://www.ocfiat.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500+Abarth-72240f980a0a00e06ac614a853c0dd7f.htm

MSRP* $22814
Dealer Discount $2,281
Sale Price $20,533
Rebate $4,000
OC Net Price $16,533

God drat, even though it has ZERO options, it's like Fiat is trying to give these away for free pretty much.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Sorry I have MIA in this thread.

For the chrome I had it painted but the prep was poor and it started flaking off. I redid the front badge myself with a good rough sand and primer before paint it it has been solid for almost 2 years.

As far as the shifter goes, it's just ok. I'm not sure it was worth the money for the whole thing but the throw are shorter and that actually took some getting used to. I never hated the stock shifter and liked its close proximity to the wheel and now with the shorter lever I feel like that is a minus. If I did it again I would just change the link to that extended one for way less money and similar results.

I do like the lighter crank pulley and feel like it is a lot more snappy when rev matching downshifts. The only downside is that it can be a bit more clunky when starting off from lights if you don't like to ride the clutch.

I have not installed the ported TB yet and have not made the exhaust either I am waiting on a better tuning solution first since I don't really want to send my ecu off to be opened up and bench tuned.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
My drivers side exterior door handle broke off on one side, it still opens the door. I'm not ruling out that maybe someone tried to break in but looking at the metal part that broke it looks very cheap so it could be wear and tear. Car is a 2012 with 88,000 km.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

My drivers side exterior door handle broke off on one side, it still opens the door. I'm not ruling out that maybe someone tried to break in but looking at the metal part that broke it looks very cheap so it could be wear and tear. Car is a 2012 with 88,000 km.

Would you mind taking photos? I'm kind of curious where exactly it broke.

I haven't noticed any problems with the exterior handles, but I do feel like a lot of the interior controls are somewhat weak, particularly the seat adjustments. I've got a 2012 as well.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

WT Wally posted:

Would you mind taking photos? I'm kind of curious where exactly it broke.

I haven't noticed any problems with the exterior handles, but I do feel like a lot of the interior controls are somewhat weak, particularly the seat adjustments. I've got a 2012 as well.

I can take pictures as well but here is a google image search of exactly what it looks like,
Click

the sixth picture shows the cheap die-cast looking metal wich broke. There are also threads about this on euro 500 sites so its an issue for sure.

BigHouseOfBooty fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 17, 2014

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
In my experience I believe the 2012MY was not built as rugged as the 2013MY+...Every 2012 I've driven seems just slightly less refined than any 2013 or 2014 Fiat I've driven, it's odd.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Finally got around to updating my Abarth blog. Posted some articles about modified Abarths, thought you guys might be interested:

http://www.fiat500abarth.us/2014/avant-garde-abarth/

http://www.fiat500abarth.us/2014/sr-auto-group-project-scorpione/

http://www.fiat500abarth.us/2014/hg-motorsports-abarth-track-spec/

http://www.fiat500abarth.us/2014/pogea-racing-unlocks-euro-abarth-ecu/

If you know any other nice examples of custom Abarths, let me know!

ickna
May 19, 2004

sim posted:

If you know any other nice examples of custom Abarths, let me know!

Paging Holdbrooks and his orange vinyl-wrapped Abarth.

The matte black one is sexy. To me, the relative scale of the wheels to the body on the 500 is probably the weakest point aesthetically, and the hellaflush + drop on the avant garde one accentuates that in a bad way. I do like the look of the 5 spoke rim over the others, though.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

The matte black is probably my favorite too. I actually like look of the 9 spoke wheels over the chunkier 5 spoke one. I know what you mean about the wheels, since most of them are only 17". It makes the Abarth still look kinda "cute", like a more rounded Scion xB (my apologies). And yes, the hellaflush does look silly. But it's still tasteful compared to the norm for that scene.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

ickna posted:

Paging Holdbrooks and his orange vinyl-wrapped Abarth.

The matte black one is sexy. To me, the relative scale of the wheels to the body on the 500 is probably the weakest point aesthetically, and the hellaflush + drop on the avant garde one accentuates that in a bad way. I do like the look of the 5 spoke rim over the others, though.

Ickna is posting in AI! In fiat news I got new tires and powder coated my wheels I match the roof and such.

Hers is a before shot with a real camera and the Subaru.

And a lovely iphone pic of the the new look

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Holdbrooks posted:

And a lovely iphone pic of the the new look

I like it.

Giving me ideas. Likely very expensive ideas. I've always been a sucker for orange cars. Of course, now I can't go orange because you've already done it. drat. Maybe a more burnt orange as this is, after all, UTexas territory.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Wrote up a guide to Abarth ECU tuning:
http://www.fiat500abarth.us/2014/ecu-tuning-fiat-500-abarth/

I listed Magneti Morelli, TMC Motorsports, UniChip, Road Race Motorsports, and Tork Motorsports. Are there any others that I'm missing? Does anyone have experience with any of these chips?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Installed Neuspeed springs then went and took some rolling shots while my friend drove

sim
Sep 24, 2003

That looks really good and you have really good taste in cars. I'm really liking the clean white look.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

sim posted:

That looks really good and you have really good taste in cars. I'm really liking the clean white look.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the compliment!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Do 2014 Abarths have a known problem of PCM's going bad? I bought mine new two weeks ago and after 160 miles of driving, had a CEL (idle issue and throttle input issue were the codes returned). I took it to the dealer who diagnosed the PCM and being bad and was told that it'd be 2 weeks to get a new one.
I started harassing Fiat customer care, their facebook and twitter to get the PCM delivery expedited, which it was, reducing the time from 2 weeks to 1. The new PCM arrived at the dealer on Tuesday afternoon and I dropped my car off yesterday.

Today during lunch however, I get a call from customer care, apparently the dealer installed the new PCM and then had to work with Fiat engineering support because the one they expedited is ALSO defective, so another PCM is being sent out while I'm driving a godawful 500 pop auto as a loaner.

I've about had it with this goddamn car.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 18, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What other issues have you had?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Nitrox posted:

What other issues have you had?

That was the first one, just a frustrating experience. Turns out the diag was wrong and it was actually a bad throttle body so I waited over a week for the wrong part.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

I wrapped my dash in carbon vinyl today. I know it's not quite the same as the real thing, but at a total cost of about £6 in comparison to several hundreds for a proper carbon part, I think I'm OK with it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I wrapped my dash in carbon vinyl today. I know it's not quite the same as the real thing, but at a total cost of about £6 in comparison to several hundreds for a proper carbon part, I think I'm OK with it.

Looks pretty good.

I installed a Magneti Marelli Power Pedal and ECU a few weeks ago, it's a pretty noticeable difference. I do get points at low RPM where the car feels like it wants to surge which was a bit unnerving at first. I'm not sure the car needs much more than that in the power department, it's allegedly in the 200hp range now. Installed a Craven Speed short shifter at the same time too, that makes a world of difference.

After the winter I'll probably do a couple suspension mods and finish project "obliterate chrome" on the cosmetic side.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 30, 2014

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Whelp, I bought an almost base, (I had to spring for heated seats) 2015 Abarth a week ago, right before I took off for two weeks of business trips and just in time to park it for the northeast winters apparently, seeing as how we've already seen snow. It's a pretty one though, with appropriate small hatch cargo space... thank god I'm not a drummer.

Are there any obvious things that I should tweak to improve my chances of keeping this italian engineering rolling and/or make it more fun while it is rolling?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

thelightguy posted:

Are there any obvious things that I should tweak to improve my chances of keeping this italian engineering rolling and/or make it more fun while it is rolling?

Drive it like an Italian. Never drop below 4000rpm. Ever.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Always park towards the back of full-sized spots so you're visible, parallel park in places you never dreamed of on the first try, and get in the habit of mashing the sport button every time you get in.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

thelightguy posted:

Whelp, I bought an almost base, (I had to spring for heated seats) 2015 Abarth a week ago, right before I took off for two weeks of business trips and just in time to park it for the northeast winters apparently, seeing as how we've already seen snow. It's a pretty one though, with appropriate small hatch cargo space... thank god I'm not a drummer.

The Neu-F short shift adapter is $100 and it installs in about twenty minutes with a hex key and a socket set. It makes a huge difference for how awful the long throws are in the car. The Roadrace intake is under $400 and makes the car a night and day difference with drivability at low RPM and you get to actually hear the wastegate open like a prop car from 2fast2furious; in a good way. If you have the cash, a reflash or tuner is a HUGE HUGE HUGE amazing difference as well.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

nerdrum posted:

The Neu-F short shift adapter is $100 and it installs in about twenty minutes with a hex key and a socket set. It makes a huge difference for how awful the long throws are in the car.

Nice, does it make it feel any more gated too? I've missed more shifts in this car than I ever did in my father's Saab.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

thelightguy posted:

Nice, does it make it feel any more gated too? I've missed more shifts in this car than I ever did in my father's Saab.

It removes a dramatic amount of the "dildo in a bowl of jello" syndrome this cars gearbox has. I cannot explain how many times i've went into 5th instead of 3rd. The shifter helps immensely.

Eggimo
Jan 6, 2007
pancakes?
I installed the Madness short shift adapter about two months ago and I'd say it's helped with the wobblyness a decent amount. In saying that though, it wasn't as great as I'd hoped it would be and it still feels kinda lovely compared to other cars.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

So here's a question, does anyone else have a 2015 abarth where the handsfree buttons stopped functioning? I can push the voice activation button and yell at my car like a retard and it works, but nothing displays on the cluster when I try to use the menu or receive a call.

Gern Blandsten
Jan 28, 2012

thelightguy posted:

So here's a question, does anyone else have a 2015 abarth where the handsfree buttons stopped functioning? I can push the voice activation button and yell at my car like a retard and it works, but nothing displays on the cluster when I try to use the menu or receive a call.

I recently bought a 2013 Abarth with 8600 miles on it. I have had my eye on them for a while but buying one new was out of my price range. I got a good deal on this one because the Fiat dealership in my town hasn't been selling that many (especially in the winter) and is trying to sell off the lot to make room for the new stock. I love the drat thing. Anyway the previous owner installed this:

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=118_119&products_id=2100

In sport mode the power is considerably increased. But to answer your question, the handsfree button does not work, neither does the USB auxiliary in (audio jack aux works fine). The mileage odometer blinks in sync with the " : " on the clock. From what I read on the Fiat forums it is some electrical bug that the dealer has to fix. I think these issues are related to each other. Some people have said if you disconnect your battery for 15 minutes or so it resets and corrects the problem but i haven't tried this yet. I am thinking it may be related to the previous owner installing the aftermarket ECU, which I hope doesn't gently caress me over on the warranty, but seeing as other Abarth owners have experienced these problems it may be unrelated.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
The blinking odo is a canbus error. I have had that the entire time since I changed my head unit for a better one.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Every car is a truck if you believe in yourself and try real hard.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I have a request can any of you abarth owners take a pic of your drivers side control arm and post it with the year of your car? I hat a replacement for my busted one but it does not look the same. My car should have been made after the change but now I'm not sure if I got an early or late one.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I'm looking at replacing my trusty NB MX-5 with an Abarth. I'm more than happy with a used one, as they are pretty expensive down-under (40-50k new).

Not many come up, and there is one that's been on the car listings here for at least 2 months now. 2011 Abarth 500 Esseesse , 56,000k on the clock. http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Abarth-500-2011/SSE-AD-3166927/?Cr=12

Is there anything I should be looking for in particular with these cars? I've done a bit of research and haven't come across any common issues to look out for, apart from the regular used-car things.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

thelightguy posted:

A short shifter is pretty much required but that's been covered.

I have a power pedal and piggy back ECU installed as well which has made a huge difference in the car. I'm probably going to start working on the suspension once it gets warm again.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I'd say lowering springs over anything else. Improves the rear end feel (I felt a lot of "float" on the stock set up) and the overall appearance of the car is improved with the lesser wheel gap.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Granite Octopus posted:

I'm looking at replacing my trusty NB MX-5 with an Abarth. I'm more than happy with a used one, as they are pretty expensive down-under (40-50k new).

Not many come up, and there is one that's been on the car listings here for at least 2 months now. 2011 Abarth 500 Esseesse , 56,000k on the clock. http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Abarth-500-2011/SSE-AD-3166927/?Cr=12

Is there anything I should be looking for in particular with these cars? I've done a bit of research and haven't come across any common issues to look out for, apart from the regular used-car things.

I just replaced my NA Miata with an 2013 Abarth today. I'm not sure if they're any different than the Aussie market ones, but I spent a ton of time researching and couldnt come up with any major common issues. Seemed like lots of little things and some very nitpicky people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
So I bit the bullet and get myself a 2015 Abarth last month, I can honestly say it's in every way shape and form better than that '13 Sport Turbo I had. I love this car so much idgaf.

• Locked thread