Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pazrs posted:

The flag state has more to do with ships owner, not the nationality of the crew.

Not really. It depends on the flag state - for example a Canadian flag vessel has to be owned by a Canadian person (Either moral or actual) and crewed by Canadians. America has similar rules, and they're even stricter for vessels engaged in the coasting trade. Different countries have different rules, however - I spent some time on a Bahamas-flagged vessel that was owned by the Bahamian subsidiary of a Scandinavian-owned American company, and I think 3% of the crew were Bahamians.

For what it's worth, last time I spoke with a UK vessel on the VHF, the OOW over there certainly wasn't a native English speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
Australia is investigating opening a second register for Australian-flagged vessels to trade internationally, the tax and manning requirements would be different to the current system where you can have non-Australian crew, but they get paid in accordance with Australian EBAs (Enterprise Bargaining Agreements).

I think Australia needs to go to a system with Australian officers and engineers but foreign crew. Our I.R.s (equivalent to ABs) are ridiculously uncompetitive.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The overboard valves are completely hosed to the point where the evaps fill up with seawater at least once a watch, the sewage system has overflowed three times since I got here a week ago, the regulating valve for the starboard boiler doesn't work so the cadet has to manually maintain the level (at least, when yours truly doesn't crack the valve just so:smugdog:), the hotwell is a big pile of rust that sometimes holds some water, DG3 overspun to 1000rpm a few weeks ago before I arrived (rated for 514), the port boiler just spun the bearings for the atomizing cup because the office wouldn't loving listen when we kept telling them it had an unbalanced cup and JUST TODAY the new one turns up but now we need new bearings, an ER exhaust fan bangs like a poltergeist...

There is literally nowhere else in the world I'd rather be right now. Call me crazy, but I'm loving it.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

Two Finger posted:

The overboard valves are completely hosed to the point where the evaps fill up with seawater at least once a watch, the sewage system has overflowed three times since I got here a week ago, the regulating valve for the starboard boiler doesn't work so the cadet has to manually maintain the level (at least, when yours truly doesn't crack the valve just so:smugdog:), the hotwell is a big pile of rust that sometimes holds some water, DG3 overspun to 1000rpm a few weeks ago before I arrived (rated for 514), the port boiler just spun the bearings for the atomizing cup because the office wouldn't loving listen when we kept telling them it had an unbalanced cup and JUST TODAY the new one turns up but now we need new bearings, an ER exhaust fan bangs like a poltergeist...

There is literally nowhere else in the world I'd rather be right now. Call me crazy, but I'm loving it.

What ship is that? Sounds like APL...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Prefer not to say which ship to be honest. I'm sure you understand. Great learning experience though.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Must be decent people?

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

Trench_Rat posted:

I've been geeking out lately on marinetraffic.com and seen alot of UK flagged tankers operating both in the north-sea and international. Are these ship UK crewed or is there some sort of "international" (filipinos and eastern europeans) UK flag and domestic UK flag

I occasionally look at boats over the internet and don't know anything about who gets to do what where, but one thing that magnifies it is that there are a lot of ships registered in f.e the Isle of Man etc which are technically 'UK' (and show up as such on the webpage thing) but presumably get the usual tax evasion etc bonuses thrown in.

e: for example, this one.

or one of the Australian tankers someone mentioned earlier

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
You know things are getting weird in the E/R when the 1st starts a list on the galley whiteboard titled "Systems being run by the Fire/Emergency Pump" :wtc:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Don't leave us hanging, what are you running on that sucker.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If it's summer and you're not using the fire pump for "Crew moral and entertainment", you're on a lameboat.

Sprinkler on the poop deck errday.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
MEBA People:

If I was Group II and stopped sailing for a year or year and half, then tried to go back, would I drop down to Group III? Do I get bumped up with next batch of Group III's to II's after one sailing job or do i have to start over and get necessary number of sailing days?

Someone get me a 2 a/e Matson job plz k thx.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish Shalami posted:

Someone get me a 2 a/e Matson job plz k thx.

Those are the best jobs ever, as a cadet I learned what the best job looked like.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ahahahahahahaahahahaha a chainblock got wrapped around the shaft today ever seen a chain spinning at 120rpm????

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Company sounds like a poo poo show engineering jobs are a dime a dozen get out of there before you lose your ticket or a limb or something.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

Two Finger posted:

ahahahahahahaahahahaha a chainblock got wrapped around the shaft today ever seen a chain spinning at 120rpm????

That sounds horrifying and hilarious at the same time. What's the damage?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Fish Shalami posted:

That sounds horrifying and hilarious at the same time. What's the damage?

One broken chain block, lots of chipped paint, some bruised pride, and maybe some dents or scratches.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

sharkytm posted:

One broken chain block, lots of chipped paint, some bruised pride, and maybe some dents or scratches.

Bingo.

Not the pride though, wasn't me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

My new favourite phonecall happened a few days ago.
Bridge: Erm, yes, hello, we have no phones.

I was crying because I was laughing so hard.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Been studying the theory and process of Main Engine Crankshaft deflections. College is a putting a far larger emphasis on it then I expected. Which usually means its a common point of failure when you go for orals.

How to deal with an unknown boiler water level was the biggest failure point I think. On donkey boilers at least.

Trip the loving thing!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Make loving sure you can blow down a gauge glass in your sleep. It was a pass/fail thing in my orals.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Man the Blueseed thread is almost as funny for peoples' ideas of how ships work as it is for the actual libertarian hilarity content.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Man the Blueseed thread is almost as funny for peoples' ideas of how ships work as it is for the actual libertarian hilarity content.

Seriously I need to either stop browsing the gibbis or start drinking again. The sad part is that those ideas of how ships operate are widespread in the general population... Including amongst people who have a direct influence on how we operate. It's mind-boggling, really.

Part of it is the industry's fault, mind you. We tend to have a somewhat "You either know this or you don't" approach, so we really haven't made the effort to educate the public. Take the airline industry, for example; they've got dozens of shows about planes, plane crash investigations, pilots, airports... Meanwhile we have Mighty Ships, and uh... Yeah. Captain Philip: The Movie and Whale Wars, I guess? I guess part of it is people just aren't interested, but the shipping industry really hasn't done much to get people interested anyway.

Speaking of, is that Tom Hanks movie out yet? Is it any good?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Can you post some choice quotes for those of us who have to pay for internet by the minute at the moment?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Can you post some choice quotes for those of us who have to pay for internet by the minute at the moment?

Heh, just the usual GBSery, nothing extraordinary really:

SevenSixTwoX39 posted:

Doesn't really matter what the weather is like with a cruise ship-sized vessel.

sixide posted:

Keep in mind cruise ships are often not very stable with so much weight up high. They are built primarily to cram in as much moneymaking stuff as possible, with comfort secondary. Safety is somewhere farther down the list of priorities.

Context: Why aren't they just using an oil rig?

Nessus posted:

Insufficient room for a terraced garden overlooking my minions. Alternately, oil rigs are regulated and you can just buy a lovely old ship for cheap!

It's just that GBS feeling of banging your head against a wall. The "PYF Favorite Scary thing on Wikipedia" thread has a bit of discussion about disappearances off cruise ships, too - Did you know cruise boats are the ideal hunting grounds for human trafficers? To steal passengers from, not crewmembers, because that'd make way too much sense.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Double post for actual content:

The Carnival Splendor (The Spam one, not the poo poo one) accident report is out:

"GCaptain posted:

The Coast Guard report released today said that the vessel suffered a major mechanical failure in the number five diesel generator, resulting in the fire. The post-casualty analysis of the incident has revealed that the installed Hi-Fog (water mist) system for local protection took 15 minutes minutes to activate after the initial fire started, which allowed the fire to spread to the overhead cables and eventually cause the loss of power. This delay was the result of a bridge watchstander resetting the fire alarm panel on the bridge, the Coast Guard said.

:ughh: Goddamnit Carnival.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

I worked on an ammunition ship that would constantly get false fire alarms in the holds due to bad wiring and humidity. It was magical with something like 15 thousand tons of Net Explosive Weight onboard. :allears:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Azipod posted:

I worked on an ammunition ship that would constantly get false fire alarms in the holds due to bad wiring and humidity. It was magical with something like 15 thousand tons of Net Explosive Weight onboard. :allears:

:stare: Goddamn. Part of me is like "Just silence and deactivate that thing" and the other is... gently caress. What did you guys do, check every single time? How many people did you have on watch?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

:stare: Goddamn. Part of me is like "Just silence and deactivate that thing" and the other is... gently caress. What did you guys do, check every single time? How many people did you have on watch?

15 man crew, so just a mate and AB/Bosun on the bridge watches. After it kept going off during a Suez transit and freaking out the pilot the CHENG kind of accidentally on purpose broke it. MSC told us to keep on sailing. :colbert:

The poor Egyptian pilot was so freaked out he left the ship WITHOUT ANY CIGARETTES.

Herman Brood
Jan 30, 2006

Azipod posted:

The poor Egyptian pilot was so freaked out he left the ship WITHOUT ANY CIGARETTES.
No way. They NEVER leave without cigarettes.

Any of you ever sailed with a captain who likes to communicate his desire for changing over manoeuvring to sea mode (or vice versa), or even starting the engine at all, by calling the engine room and yelling in the receiver: "CAPTAIN ON THE BRIDGE!" without any additional information? Boy, he got the chief engineer upset quick.

Of course, when the chief was relieved and our captain wanted the engines to be prepared, he called up the new guy and told him: "captain on the bridge!" It stayed quiet for a few moments, then the chief replied: "chief engineer in engineroom!"

And hung up the phone.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Herman Brood posted:

Any of you ever sailed with a captain who likes to communicate his desire for changing over manoeuvring to sea mode (or vice versa), or even starting the engine at all, by calling the engine room and yelling in the receiver: "CAPTAIN ON THE BRIDGE!" without any additional information? Boy, he got the chief engineer upset quick.

I just wouldn't start the stand by.

In fact we never did until we hear the words '1 hours notice' from whomever is on the bridge. Then write that in the log. Until then its magazine reading time! 'Oh you want engines NOW captain?, Ok give us an hour.' *Click*.

Manoeuvring to nav full. and vice versa the FUBs can do whenever they want. It does automatic Load Up/Load Down anyway and slowly ramps the revs. At least then the JCW keeps up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Herman Brood posted:

Of course, when the chief was relieved and our captain wanted the engines to be prepared, he called up the new guy and told him: "captain on the bridge!" It stayed quiet for a few moments, then the chief replied: "chief engineer in engineroom!"

And hung up the phone.

What an rear end in a top hat. He probably pulled this poo poo on the bridge officers, too. I bet that guy was a fricking BRM nightmare. "You want the conn cap?" "Well I'm on the drat bridge ain't I?"

Although I did give an hour's notice by singing the first few bars of "Stand by me" in a sound powered telephone once... Engineer called me back and hour later and sang "Stand by your man" until I flipped the telegraph over. We'd been on watch together a while by that point, mind you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I called the bridge yesterday while underway to tell them I was about to start the steering gear tests.

There was dead silence for a few seconds, then '....what?

Oh... you absolute TWAT.'

Hung up, phone rings a few seconds later, 'Just to let you know I'm deploying CO2 to the ECR.'
Lol.

Herman Brood
Jan 30, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

What an rear end in a top hat. He probably pulled this poo poo on the bridge officers, too. I bet that guy was a fricking BRM nightmare. "You want the conn cap?" "Well I'm on the drat bridge ain't I?"
You bet.

What's that, cap? The C/O and I aren't "experienced" enough to handle watchkeeping after dark? You will take the watch from 20:00 until 08:00, all by yourself, no-one allowed on the bridge, not even a loving lookout?

Thanks for wishing me a good rest, rear end in a top hat. You're seriously deluded if you think I'm going to sleep for even 5 minutes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Herman Brood posted:

You bet.

What's that, cap? The C/O and I aren't "experienced" enough to handle watchkeeping after dark? You will take the watch from 20:00 until 08:00, all by yourself, no-one allowed on the bridge, not even a loving lookout?

Thanks for wishing me a good rest, rear end in a top hat. You're seriously deluded if you think I'm going to sleep for even 5 minutes.

Ahahaha what the gently caress, really? Night watch by his own goddamn self, for eight hours? No way. You have got to be making GBS threads me.

How long did that go on?

Edit: gCaptain keeps bring it today:

:stare: :ohdear: :stare:

(http://gcaptain.com/ship-pilot-ladder-failure/ for reference)

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 16, 2013

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Of course from the linked article there...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Of course from the linked article there...

It's like they took the "Don't do this" picture from that "How to set up a pilot ladder" poster and uh... Yeah.

How do you even get those things to bend? Is that poo poo plastic? Every one I've seen was wood, with the bottom five step rubber and non-skid rubbery stuff on every rung. Those things are expensive as all gently caress, too.

gently caress boarding a boat on a pilot ladder. gently caress signing off on one even more.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

gently caress boarding a boat on a pilot ladder. gently caress signing off on one even more.

Yeah when I got off at the mailboat last month they just lowered a long aluminum ladder. That was enough fun.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

On the subject of pilot ladders, one of my academy classmates sent me this photo from a training cruise.

I give you "Samoan Spiderman"

Somehow he didn't die.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Double post for actual content:

The Carnival Splendor (The Spam one, not the poo poo one) accident report is out:

:ughh: Goddamnit Carnival.

quote:

The Coast Guard report released today said that the vessel suffered a major mechanical failure in the number five diesel generator, resulting in the fire. The post-casualty analysis of the incident has revealed that the installed Hi-Fog (water mist) system for local protection took 15 minutes minutes to activate after the initial fire started, which allowed the fire to spread to the overhead cables and eventually cause the loss of power. This delay was the result of a bridge watchstander resetting the fire alarm panel on the bridge, the Coast Guard said.

quote:

This delay was the result of a bridge watchstander resetting the fire alarm panel on the bridge,

quote:

bridge

that samoan spiderman is loving horrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Well, it finally happened; I've started having dreams about the job. :argh: Dreamt that someone tried to blame me for hitting a quay even though I wasn't on watch at the time.

• Locked thread