Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just looked and equalizer apo can do exactly what you want. That said, I have a Mini DSP 2x4 HD doing sub crossover and EQ work on my main system (which doesn't have a computer in it) and it's been great. If you don't already have the soundcard, the HD mini dsp can act as one which would definitely be an easy solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, looking for some words of wisdom if y'all have any purty please? I'd like to add a cheap sub for music at low to medium volume coming from my PC.

Currently music goes out PC to a USB sound card:
Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro

To a pair of AV-40s:

I'm looking at adding a $100 Dayton Sub-800 (I'll take other recs, but this seems like the cheapest not-total-POS, and I'll keep my eye on Craiglist too)

The sound card has that C/Sub out, but looking at the user guide the pictures for hooking up a 2.1 system show just going out from L/R to what looks like an actual integrated 2.1 setup. The pictures for hooking up anything to that C/Sub output show for doing a whole 5.1 dealio. So I'm trying to figure out the smart way to add the sub in. I'd like to think I could just go 1/8" -> RCA out from that sub output and maybe even have the sound card be smart enough to do highpass to the speakers (super doubt that part). But it's looking more likely it'd be better to just do a splitter off the sound card to the sub and speakers, balance the audio, control volume with software. I kind of like being able to control volume with a real knob; could deal with using the knob on the sound card to control Windows audio but I worry about the "gain" not being right and it not sounding right (is that a thing for PC audio? like how if you plug a phone into a stereo and have the phone volume at 1 and the stereo at 100 it sounds very different from the phone at 100 and the stereo at 1?). It also looks like I could go sound card -> sub -> grab some bare wire to RCA plugs from the sub High Level Output -> speakers, and hopefully have the sub doing the speaker highpass. That may be the best route, but still with the PC output gain question.

Or would it be the smart play to just add in a receiver like this $100 2 channel Onkyo with a sub output https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktx8020/onkyo-tx-8020-2-x-50-watts-stereo-receiver/1.html. This is for a home office room, so less clutter and less heat output would be nice though, and getting a receiver sounds like the cost would tip towards just planning for a 5.1 setup. I also inherited a pair of M-Audio BX5a's sitting in a box I haven't checked out, but at a glance I don't know what the chain would look like for hooking up and controlling them either.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You should be able to use the sub out even in a 2.1 system. The examples given are the most common arrangements I imagine, but in windows at least it you have to set your system to 5.1 and disable the channels you aren't using from the control panel. I'd imagine your device has a similar set-up.

I haven't actually tested this yet though.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

ItBreathes posted:

You should be able to use the sub out even in a 2.1 system. The examples given are the most common arrangements I imagine, but in windows at least it you have to set your system to 5.1 and disable the channels you aren't using from the control panel. I'd imagine your device has a similar set-up.

I haven't actually tested this yet though.

Nice that totally worked, thanks! Got a 12" off Craigslist, went 1/8" Sub out on the sound card -> RCA Line In on the sub, did that Windows config, then in the sound card extra control panel doodad checked the enable subwoofer box. Even better, the sound card works as a proper crossover for sending the right audio to both the regular speakers and sub :) (so I have the crossover knob on the sub all the way up). Got the levels balanced and the sound card has a volume knob on it to control the Windows output which is sitting next to my keyboard. I did some quick tests with just the L/R speakers and doing high volume on the speaker knob with low Windows volume and vice versa seemed to sound the same, so I'm not worried about the concern I had for getting clean levels, like how if you plug an iPod set to max volume into a stereo it may overdrive.

Happy camper!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So I'm not the biggest expert in sound hw, and I bought the Logitech Z-313 as a quick replacement for my old, very old, speakers since they were cheap. Thing is.. they kinda suck, maybe it's just me but outside of the bass levels everything seems kinda off. What's a decent alternative, for gaming, movies etc..

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Those speakers are $27. If you're willing to raise your budget substantially, you could get a pair of scuffed AV40s for $97 through Amazon Warehouse:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=av40&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I dunno. Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe check craigslist and try to find some ok used powered monitors that someone will let go of cheap?

Or if you live in the bay area you can have my old AV40s for free, they're just layin' in the garage.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Taima posted:

Those speakers are $27. If you're willing to raise your budget substantially, you could get a pair of scuffed AV40s for $97 through Amazon Warehouse:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=av40&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I dunno. Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe check craigslist and try to find some ok used powered monitors that someone will let go of cheap?

Or if you live in the bay area you can have my old AV40s for free, they're just layin' in the garage.

hmm so they're supposed to sound like that then and if I want something better that's the next tier?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I dunno man $27 dollars for a speaker setup with a subwoofer is like, so cheap that of course it sucks. I don't feel that you're being realistic in your budget calculation, but I get the impression that going higher isn't a great option for you, so if I were you, maybe I would just stick with the 313s and forget about it. $27 for speakers is like, a reasonable dinner for 1 person. Not trying to downplay your situation, but you simply can't expect much at your level of expenditure. I don't know what else to say, except enjoy the speakers that make sense for your budget and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 13, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

hmm so they're supposed to sound like that then and if I want something better that's the next tier?

What is your actual budget here?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Crossposting from the recording thread-

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’m gonna pick up a new set of 305P’s and I wanna choose- should I get two of the limited edition ones, or one limited and one standard white?

The limited ones supposedly came out in June but I can’t find any real-world photos of them or posts about them.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Taima posted:

I dunno man $27 dollars for a speaker setup with a subwoofer is like, so cheap that of course it sucks. I don't feel that you're being realistic in your budget calculation, but I get the impression that going higher isn't a great option for you, so if I were you, maybe I would just stick with the 313s and forget about it. $27 for speakers is like, a reasonable dinner for 1 person. Not trying to downplay your situation, but you simply can't expect much at your level of expenditure. I don't know what else to say, except enjoy the speakers that make sense for your budget and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

it's all good, I just had next to zero idea how much these things cost. Now i know x) thanks.

KillHour posted:

What is your actual budget here?

I hadn't consider one, or rather I was looking for just how much a better setup would end costing me. I figure I'll keep these a while and budget for something else in the future.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Crossposting from the recording thread-

Isn't this like asking someone what color car you should buy or how spicy something is? The limited edition ones appear to be a purely aesthetic change, so it's all personal preference for you. Get what ever you think looks cute in your setup.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

Isn't this like asking someone what color car you should buy or how spicy something is? The limited edition ones appear to be a purely aesthetic change, so it's all personal preference for you. Get what ever you think looks cute in your setup.

Yes, you’re right. I was hoping that somebody may have seen them in person or otherwise had some sense about how the printed ones actually looked/held up.

I know one other goon in one of the threads mentioned pre-ordering them for his gf or something like that a few months back, but they’re apparently an Amazon exclusive (so nothing from other sellers or reviewers) and I haven’t seen any takes on them or shots of them in the wild.

Also I just wanted people’s honest opinions 🤷🏻‍♂️. Really at this point I’m debating whether I get a matching pair or one white/one printed. Maybe I sell one off next year if a different printed one comes out that I like and end up with a more interesting set.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Trip report, I'm still real happy after adding a 12" sub to pair with a couple AV-40s. If ya don't have one and don't have to worry too much about bugging neighbors, deffo recommend browsing your local CL/FB Market, it's a super good sound upgrade.

:gaz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxo_9KbVS0I

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The AV40s are Not Good™ and I say that as someone who used the AV40s for 2 years when I was just getting into sound systems. I would strongly recommend that anyone looking in that bracket checkout the LSR 305s which can be found for around $200/pair on sale. They don't need a subwoofer either unless you're listening to trap 24/7.

Since then I've had systems up to $2,000 and if I could do it all over again, I never would have gotten the AV40s. I would have gone straight to the 305/308 and probably, realistically, stopped there. They're that good, especially with a decent amp/dac. Literally the best value for dollar in the industry.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I need a recommendation for PC speakers at the $60 CAD, $45 USD range, for gaming and music. I'm looking at the Logitech Z313 and some weird Cyber Acoustics options for being available right now, but if I have to wait for shipping on a much better online alternative I will.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

El Generico posted:

I need a recommendation for PC speakers at the $60 CAD, $45 USD range, for gaming and music. I'm looking at the Logitech Z313 and some weird Cyber Acoustics options for being available right now, but if I have to wait for shipping on a much better online alternative I will.

is there any way you can stretch that, even just a little? (re: $65 USD instead of $45?)

because at least at that point you can stretch yourself into getting some halfway decent powered monitors, like this pair of TEAC's which is a great budget alternative to LSR305

https://www.amazon.com/Teac-LSM100B...ateway&sr=8-107

these sound great, come in @ $81.

or you can get some Edifiers, little more hyped, but still sound great and look great too

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXDZ8W...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

these come in @ $70 USD

then there are these amazing looking Swans powered monitors w/ sub. again, stupid good for the price point

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OKUAFY...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

these come in @ $80 USD, include a sub

strangely enough, if you can find a good deal for it, the bose companion II series 3 is actually something I'd suggest to. sweetwater sells them, and other pro-audio gear sluts swear by them for being good quick reference monitors. ymmv
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Comp2S3--bose-companion-2-series-iii-multimedia-monitor-system
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Comp2S3--bose-companion-2-series-iii-multimedia-monitor-system/reviews

these come in right @ $90 USD

finally, I can't emphasize this enough. if you buy jbl lsr 305's, you won't have any need for any other speaker system. they will suit 99.999% of your needs and they come in super cheap for what they can do. the only other monitors I'd suggest are easily in the $500+ category. these compete w/ speakers in that price bracket, and destroy almost anything else w/in their price bracket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-305P-M...6UAAOSwW6RcykaQ
https://www.ebay.com/p/JBL-LSR305-3...ECABEgIDnPD_BwE

this is the best deal going right now for a pair which you would need. however, it's by far the best investment you'll ever make into your audio. haven't looked back since I bought my first pair 3 years ago. still keeping strong.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Taima posted:

The AV40s are Not Good™ and I say that as someone who used the AV40s for 2 years when I was just getting into sound systems. I would strongly recommend that anyone looking in that bracket checkout the LSR 305s which can be found for around $200/pair on sale. They don't need a subwoofer either unless you're listening to trap 24/7.

Since then I've had systems up to $2,000 and if I could do it all over again, I never would have gotten the AV40s. I would have gone straight to the 305/308 and probably, realistically, stopped there. They're that good, especially with a decent amp/dac. Literally the best value for dollar in the industry.

iawtp 100%. there really isn't a need to gently caress w/ other audio gear once you have the lsr 305/306/308's. they will get you 98% of what's possible w/ neutrality and cleanliness, and they just sound great in almost any space, treated or not treated.

however, that 2%? that's when you start eyeballing stuff like Focal Shape's or Genelecs. don't get me wrong, they sound absolutely amazing. but it's incredibly difficult to justify that 2% for most any use case. this is where you start to get to truly eye watering prices, and this is coming from someone who spent $1500 on a pair of headphones.

oh, another fun fact, high end headphones like the Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD800S, or Hifiman Arya are absolutely worth it if you're needing to crank audio and you live in an apartment w/ lovely walls or has regs regarding noise levels. A/Bing the lsr 305's compared to my Arya's, there's no effective difference between the two.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 18, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

5-HT posted:

is there any way you can stretch that, even just a little? (re: $65 USD instead of $45?)

because at least at that point you can stretch yourself into getting some halfway decent powered monitors, like this pair of TEAC's which is a great budget alternative to LSR305

https://www.amazon.com/Teac-LSM100B...ateway&sr=8-107

these sound great, come in @ $81.

or you can get some Edifiers, little more hyped, but still sound great and look great too

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXDZ8W...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

these come in @ $70 USD

then there are these amazing looking Swans powered monitors w/ sub. again, stupid good for the price point

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OKUAFY...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

these come in @ $80 USD, include a sub

strangely enough, if you can find a good deal for it, the bose companion II series 3 is actually something I'd suggest to. sweetwater sells them, and other pro-audio gear sluts swear by them for being good quick reference monitors. ymmv
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Comp2S3--bose-companion-2-series-iii-multimedia-monitor-system
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Comp2S3--bose-companion-2-series-iii-multimedia-monitor-system/reviews

these come in right @ $90 USD

finally, I can't emphasize this enough. if you buy jbl lsr 305's, you won't have any need for any other speaker system. they will suit 99.999% of your needs and they come in super cheap for what they can do. the only other monitors I'd suggest are easily in the $500+ category. these compete w/ speakers in that price bracket, and destroy almost anything else w/in their price bracket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-305P-M...6UAAOSwW6RcykaQ
https://www.ebay.com/p/JBL-LSR305-3...ECABEgIDnPD_BwE

this is the best deal going right now for a pair which you would need. however, it's by far the best investment you'll ever make into your audio. haven't looked back since I bought my first pair 3 years ago. still keeping strong.

I’d add the Harman Soundsticks 3 at $99 refurb if you want to be a fancy design lad/lass.

Also- as bad as the AV-40s might be, the set I got my dad in 2010 are close to having 9 years on them come December.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

5-HT posted:

A/Bing the lsr 305's compared to my Arya's, there's no effective difference between the two.

This is curious to me, but I guess it might be an issue of preference. I use a pair of Focal Alpha 80s, so the bigger versions of the step down from the Shape you mentioned plus a decent KRK sub (12sHO mkii). A/B to my current daily driver HE6se (similar range to your Arya's in Hifimans stack) there is absolutely no contest, speakers win. Other headphones I've got on hand in the same acoustic space are Focal Elex, K7xx, ATH-AD2k, HD6XX, WM1000XM3 and I've demo'd basically everything kilobuck at a local store. Nothing matches the experience of speakers for me.

Maybe Arya's are just the special spice though, I've not tried them and I really want to.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I suppose it depends on the person how much this matters, but speakers give a visceral impact that headphones cannot. Especially if you have speakers that reach low and/or a well integrated sub.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What he said.

Headphones can sound great, but there are no headphones in existence that can replace the thump a good subwoofer makes.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

This is curious to me, but I guess it might be an issue of preference. I use a pair of Focal Alpha 80s, so the bigger versions of the step down from the Shape you mentioned plus a decent KRK sub (12sHO mkii). A/B to my current daily driver HE6se (similar range to your Arya's in Hifimans stack) there is absolutely no contest, speakers win. Other headphones I've got on hand in the same acoustic space are Focal Elex, K7xx, ATH-AD2k, HD6XX, WM1000XM3 and I've demo'd basically everything kilobuck at a local store. Nothing matches the experience of speakers for me.

Maybe Arya's are just the special spice though, I've not tried them and I really want to.

Wibla posted:

What he said.

Headphones can sound great, but there are no headphones in existence that can replace the thump a good subwoofer makes.

meant that in so far as tonality and balance, Arya's have the same level of extension in bass. really need to upload a clip I made of them pumping some bass heavy music at some point. it's nuts. you get tactile feedback from them. it's not as impactful as a good sub, but it's the closest I've heard from a headphone. joshua valour describes it really well here starting @ 6:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTukiN4GEqw

5-HT fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 31, 2019

zbig
Aug 5, 2019
i was looking for some nice computer speakers for my new setup and went for a pair of lsr305s as recommended in this thread with a DAC and I have to say I'm very satisfied.

if I hadn't looked here first I probably would have bought an overpriced 'gaming' set or something

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
Feeling a little overwhelmed trying to decide on what to buy for my PC. I started trying to do some independent research and feel like maybe I got off track somewhere.

My initial thoughts are that if I'm going to be spending more than $50 on the speakers, I'll probably want a DAC or dedicated sound card somewhere in the chain. If I had to boil down what I'm after, I think this short list will probably suffice:

*Bookshelf speakers, getting a subwoofer now if it's in my immediate budget, or have the option to add one later
*If a separate DAC/Amp is required (ie: passive speakers instead of powered speakers), they should be small enough to comfortably fit directly on my desk or on a nearby shelf that's no more than 8" deep. I don't mind chaining devices together if I have to / it makes sense for my budget. I'd really like to avoid a full sized receiver if at all possible
*Volume adjustments should be conveniently within reach somewhere. I don't want to have to go digging to the back of a set of powered speakers or fiddle with windows settings too much to adjust the volume, I want a physical switch, knob, or buttons somewhere (this also improves compatibility with other devices I may want to use this setup on later)

I don't know that I need any one component to be 'audiophile' grade. Largely, my goal is to get something that sounds nicer than these tiny old things I bought for like $30 a decade ago.

I think I'd say my budget is probably somewhere in the range of $200-300, but I can flex up a bit if it'll get me to a noticeable upgrade. Naturally, if something of universal acclaim exists below my price-point, I'm not opposed to that either. As a starting point, some of the information I've already come across elsewhere suggests that these passive bookshelf speakers aren't that bad, and I've also heard nearly universal praise for this subwoofer, which is said to pair pretty well with the aforementioned speakers.

Combined, however, they do eat up a substantial portion of my budget, and I currently live in a duplex. I do want to be able to hear the bass (and I do listen to a wide variety of music that would benefit from a dedicated sub), but I don't necessarily need something to rattle the walls and piss off my neighbors, so I almost wonder if a 10" sub would be overkill.

I'm pretty open to suggestions. If it's going to have any significant impact on the perceivable sound quality, my desk is backed into a wall and any ports the speakers might have would be pretty close to it. Probably 5-6" away tops.

The Big Bad Worf fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 18, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Feeling a little overwhelmed trying to decide on what to buy for my PC. I started trying to do some independent research and feel like maybe I got off track somewhere.

My initial thoughts are that if I'm going to be spending more than $50 on the speakers, I'll probably want a DAC or dedicated sound card somewhere in the chain. If I had to boil down what I'm after, I think this short list will probably suffice:

*Bookshelf speakers, getting a subwoofer now if it's in my immediate budget, or have the option to add one later
*If a separate DAC/Amp is required (ie: passive speakers instead of powered speakers), they should be small enough to comfortably fit directly on my desk or on a nearby shelf that's no more than 8" deep. I don't mind chaining devices together if I have to / it makes sense for my budget. I'd really like to avoid a full sized receiver if at all possible
*Volume adjustments should be conveniently within reach somewhere. I don't want to have to go digging to the back of a set of powered speakers or fiddle with windows settings too much to adjust the volume, I want a physical switch, knob, or buttons somewhere (this also improves compatibility with other devices I may want to use this setup on later)

I don't know that I need any one component to be 'audiophile' grade. Largely, my goal is to get something that sounds nicer than these tiny old things I bought for like $30 a decade ago.

I think I'd say my budget is probably somewhere in the range of $200-300, but I can flex up a bit if it'll get me to a noticeable upgrade. Naturally, if something of universal acclaim exists below my price-point, I'm not opposed to that either. As a starting point, some of the information I've already come across elsewhere suggests that these passive bookshelf speakers aren't that bad, and I've also heard nearly universal praise for this subwoofer, which is said to pair pretty well with the aforementioned speakers.

Combined, however, they do eat up a substantial portion of my budget, and I currently live in a duplex. I do want to be able to hear the bass (and I do listen to a wide variety of music that would benefit from a dedicated sub), but I don't necessarily need something to rattle the walls and piss off my neighbors, so I almost wonder if a 10" sub would be overkill.

I'm pretty open to suggestions. If it's going to have any significant impact on the perceivable sound quality, my desk is backed into a wall and any ports the speakers might have would be pretty close to it. Probably 5-6" away tops.

Audioengine A2+ has built in Bluetooth and USB DAC for $250.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

The Big Bad Worf posted:

you're overthinking it. at that budget, you can get the a pair of jbl lsr 305's, a cheap scarlet audio interface to act as your outboard dac and give you knob for your monitors. and that's it. best $ for buck setup.

for the speakers, i'm linking sweetwater but you can easily find the lsr 305 for much cheaper.

you will not be disappointed by this setup, that much I can promise. yes a 10" sub is overkill for what you're describing. just get these good speakers, only add a sub if you absolutely find it needed. I don't run a sub on my setup because I get house shaking low end out of my pair as is.

this fits the bill, and yes it will blow away most any other setup you can get at that price point. the only setups I've personally heard that are better are easily running 1K+ and the improvements are marginal at best. KEF LSX and LS50 (wireless) are an upgrade, so are Focal powered monitors, but at that point we're going off the deep end.

most studios still use JBL 305's or Yamaha HS8's to do their masters. you only start seeing what I'm talking about with stupid high end commercial studios, and even then most of the industry has veered into bedroom recording and mastering, smaller studios. if you wander over to gearslutz, a forum that's all about pro-audio, maximizing your $, mixing, mastering, etc. been around for ages too at that... you'll see exactly what I'm referring to. what you hear on these speakers compared to what the audio engineer is hearing is not going to much if any different.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 18, 2019

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

5-HT posted:

you're overthinking it. at that budget, you can get the a pair of jbl lsr 305's, a cheap scarlet audio interface to act as your outboard dac and give you knob for your monitors. and that's it. best $ for buck setup.

for the speakers, i'm linking sweetwater but you can easily find the lsr 305 for much cheaper.

you will not be disappointed by this setup, that much I can promise. yes a 10" sub is overkill for what you're describing. just get these good speakers, only add a sub if you absolutely find it needed. I don't run a sub on my setup because I get house shaking low end out of my pair as is.

I hadn't noticed / considered that there'd be a "first generation" version of the speaker that comes with some pretty non-trivial savings, or that a combination DAC/...pre-amp? would be so easily and readily available. The DAC even has a headphone out, which almost certainly has to be better than what's on my front panel. If I snag the LSR305s, cable and DAC included, this is exactly in my budget.

It even looks like there's a monitor-level subwoofer to add (the LSR310s ), if I double my budget. From what little poking at it I've done on google so far, it looks like if I do decide to get this subwoofer, I'd connect the DAC directly to the sub, the outputs from the sub to the monitor speakers, and any sort of crossover configuration stuff would be handled directly by the sub, without having to fiddle with software or find a new DAC that has L/R and sub outputs. Does that all sound about right so far?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Audioengine HD3s are very well reviewed and have a DAC, USB and Bluetooth audio options, a headphone amp, and subwoofer output if you decide to add a sub later.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

The Big Bad Worf posted:

I hadn't noticed / considered that there'd be a "first generation" version of the speaker that comes with some pretty non-trivial savings, or that a combination DAC/...pre-amp? would be so easily and readily available. The DAC even has a headphone out, which almost certainly has to be better than what's on my front panel. If I snag the LSR305s, cable and DAC included, this is exactly in my budget.

It even looks like there's a monitor-level subwoofer to add (the LSR310s ), if I double my budget. From what little poking at it I've done on google so far, it looks like if I do decide to get this subwoofer, I'd connect the DAC directly to the sub, the outputs from the sub to the monitor speakers, and any sort of crossover configuration stuff would be handled directly by the sub, without having to fiddle with software or find a new DAC that has L/R and sub outputs. Does that all sound about right so far?

you’re right. the scarlett is a dac and preamp with a great professional mic input and headphone jack. the sub will handle any crossover and you can select crossover directly on the sub unit based on your preferences.

it’s a killer setup, but I’d strongly suggest trying the monitors only first before adding the sub. you’ll be super surprised esp coming from your prior setup.

honestly it’s hard to argue why you’d want any other setup. it’s utility, flexibility, and quality is just unreal.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Audioengine HD3s are very well reviewed and have a DAC, USB and Bluetooth audio options, a headphone amp, and subwoofer output if you decide to add a sub later.

and measure terribly, they are not good speakers. Vanatoo makes better units for similar $
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/audioengine-hd3-loudspeaker-review-test-bench

compare this to the lsr305, huge difference. it’s flat as a rail and has more low end. this is what you need in a good speaker

http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Why are you comparing 2 sets of speakers where one is twice the size? Of course it has more low end. And you link a graph from sound and vision as proof that the HD3 is a bad speaker yet sound and vision itself have them a glowing review. Since you seem to be the only person on the internet claiming they’re bad speakers I feel like people should be taking your opinion with a grain of salt.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Why are you comparing 2 sets of speakers where one is twice the size? Of course it has more low end. And you link a graph from sound and vision as proof that the HD3 is a bad speaker yet sound and vision itself have them a glowing review. Since you seem to be the only person on the internet claiming they’re bad speakers I feel like people should be taking your opinion with a grain of salt.

graphs don’t lie. they’re the only objective measurement available, and they’re critical in evaluating speakers. sound and vision never give out bad reviews unless a unit is atrociously bad. this has always been the case with most of the audio industry.

the praises are mostly on features if you read into it. they aren’t a good value prop currently.

E: even a little digging shows that most people recognize the lsr305 as a better speaker
https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudi...ntent=post_body

E: here’s another review that just flat trashes the unit, measurements look similar to what sound and vision mag. and yes, the A2+ is the same unit, just without Bluetooth

http://noaudiophile.com/AudioEngine_A2_Plus/

5-HT fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 19, 2019

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a recommendation for small monitors/speakers? I’ve had LSR305s and, while great, they will definitively not fit on my desk. Mostly using them for video editing so sorta flat response would be great, but anything really important is going out to an actual audio engineer to get mixed so it doesn’t need to be perfect or anything.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

powderific posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for small monitors/speakers? I’ve had LSR305s and, while great, they will definitively not fit on my desk. Mostly using them for video editing so sorta flat response would be great, but anything really important is going out to an actual audio engineer to get mixed so it doesn’t need to be perfect or anything.

there are a few options that can fit the bill. what’s your budget?

first thing that comes to mind on the cheap would be the vanatoo transparent zero or transparent one encore. def most $$$$ per buck in its class

https://vanatoo.com/shop/speakers/transparent-zero/

https://vanatoo.com/shop/speakers/transparent-one-encore/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFW--Gj1jGc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8PgD5HqIH8

or you have $, Focal makes a good speaker too for smaller desks, the Shape 40

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Shape40--focal-shape-40-4-inch-powered-studio-monitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxoD5Ng4rpM

Finally there’s the genelec 8000 series if $ is no objection. personally want a set w/ sub, but it’s eyewateringly expensive

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/8030TriplePlay--genelec-8030lse-triple-play-5-inch-powered-2.1-monitor-system-with-subwoofer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O05GsH3sMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYhKrm-z3M

5-HT fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 19, 2019

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

5-HT posted:

you’re right. the scarlett is a dac and preamp with a great professional mic input and headphone jack. the sub will handle any crossover and you can select crossover directly on the sub unit based on your preferences.

it’s a killer setup, but I’d strongly suggest trying the monitors only first before adding the sub. you’ll be super surprised esp coming from your prior setup.

honestly it’s hard to argue why you’d want any other setup. it’s utility, flexibility, and quality is just unreal.

You probably know this being a headphone thread regular but It's worth noting the 10ohm output impedance of the Scarlett interfaces, which will significantly (>=1dB) change the frequency response of any dynamic or balanced armature driver headphone under 80ohm input impedance.

My 6i6 worked fine with my Elex but would noticeably change my AD900x versus a .1ohm source.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

You probably know this being a headphone thread regular but It's worth noting the 10ohm output impedance of the Scarlett interfaces, which will significantly (>=1dB) change the frequency response of any dynamic or balanced armature driver headphone under 80ohm input impedance.

My 6i6 worked fine with my Elex but would noticeably change my AD900x versus a .1ohm source.

true, and you’ve reminded me that this wonderful unit exists. this is a better unit overall on measurements versus the Scarlett. little bit more $ but worth it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC204HD--behringer-u-phoria-umc204hd-usb-audio-interface

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-behringer-umc204hd.1658/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

5-HT posted:

there are a few options that can fit the bill. what’s your budget?

Should have said that since I’m not directly making money off it I’m not looking to get into the higher echelons. The Transparent Zeros have been on my possibly list forever so maybe I’ll just go that way. Also noticed that JBL has a new little coaxial monitor that looks neat and is extremely cheap. I’m sure it’s no comparison to the Vanatoo, but I’ve had to buy so much gear of the last few months I’m really trying to scrimp where I can.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

5-HT posted:

graphs don’t lie. they’re the only objective measurement available, and they’re critical in evaluating speakers. sound and vision never give out bad reviews unless a unit is atrociously bad. this has always been the case with most of the audio industry.

the praises are mostly on features if you read into it. they aren’t a good value prop currently.

E: even a little digging shows that most people recognize the lsr305 as a better speaker
https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudi...ntent=post_body

E: here’s another review that just flat trashes the unit, measurements look similar to what sound and vision mag. and yes, the A2+ is the same unit, just without Bluetooth

http://noaudiophile.com/AudioEngine_A2_Plus/

Interesting. I was actually planning to buy the HD3s myself, so what else would you suggest at a similar price point *that I can buy in Australia preferably without shipping anything from overseas*?

JBL speakers seem to be flat out impossible to get hold of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Interesting. I was actually planning to buy the HD3s myself, so what else would you suggest at a similar price point *that I can buy in Australia preferably without shipping anything from overseas*?

JBL speakers seem to be flat out impossible to get hold of here.

they’re available. cheapest I could find for a set was here

https://www.bettermusic.com.au/jbl-lsr305mkii

Yamaha HS5’s are a pretty good bet if just going on price. also very commonly used monitors in the industry

https://www.storedj.com.au/yamaha-hs5-5-active-studio-monitors-pair

have to say it’s def a tough market. I’d suggest vanatoo as well but from what I understand they’re regional exclusive still. Yamahas are going to be your best bet currently unless I stumble on something else.

powderific posted:

Should have said that since I’m not directly making money off it I’m not looking to get into the higher echelons. The Transparent Zeros have been on my possibly list forever so maybe I’ll just go that way. Also noticed that JBL has a new little coaxial monitor that looks neat and is extremely cheap. I’m sure it’s no comparison to the Vanatoo, but I’ve had to buy so much gear of the last few months I’m really trying to scrimp where I can.

JBL one series?
https://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/one-series

hard to find reviews w/ numbers. but it has no low end from what I’ve read

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/1271225-jbl-one-series-104-a.html

the vanatoos at least have extension down to 40hz, which is huge imo. jbl I trust on voicing but I feel like there could be more done, just going on my gut.

e: they’re cheap enough I’m probably going to pick up a pair to demo at least.... this sound demo has me intrigued

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFvk_Tl8jmc

5-HT fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 19, 2019