Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Reivax posted:

You don't even have to go that far, the Marquis de Sade was a notorious French author, and his most well known work is the notorious '120 Days of Sodom.'

That's the same guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
I noticed this after watching Finding Nemo twice a day with my kid for about 6 months or so. It happens when Nemo meets the fish in the dentist's aquarium.

Deb: Kid, if there's anything you need, just ask your auntie Deb. That's me. Or if I'm not around, you can talk to my sister, Flo.
[swims up to her reflection]
Deb: Hi, how are ya? Don't listen to anything my sister says, she's nuts!

If she's his auntie Deb that would make her sister Aunt Flo, who is of course nuts

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I think it's more of an 'ebb and flow' joke than a menstruation joke

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Cabaret is on my top five movies. One thing to notice is that all of the music is diegetic and all but one of the musical numbers take place within the cabaret itself except for "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" which is sung by a Hitler youth at a beer garden in the county. Most of the time in musicals the song numbers take place "outside" the framed narrative.

Edit:

I also watched The Deer Hunter recently. One thing that stood out to me was the how on the first hunting trip, they kill a deer and sling it across the hood of the car because there's no room for it inside the car. In the second Act, after Mike rescues Steven he throws him over the hood of a jeep. I didn't really get a whole lot of the film's subtle moments except probably the whole "one shot" thing, but that wasn't too subtle to begin with.

Mr. Kurtz has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Apr 17, 2013

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

One that I just noticed from No Country For Old Men. When Llewelyn Moss fires his shotgun in the dark, he blinks from the muzzle flash, as most people would.

However when Anton fires his shotgun during the motel ambush, his eyes are wide open despite the massive flash, further emphasizing just how focused, desensitized and inhuman he is.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

In How to Train Your Dragon, Hiccup is left-handed, but he actually tries to use his right hand sometimes when trying to fit in with the others, when he’s trying to act in a traditional Viking way.

The most prominent instance of this is when he finds Toothless tangled in the ropes in the forest, and plans to kill him. During the “I’m going to cut out your heart…”/”I’m a VIKING!” speech, he’s holding the knife right-handedly:

But then he can’t do it, because he’s not like everyone else, so instead he cuts the ropes to let Toothless free… And he uses his left hand to cut those ropes:

In dragon-fighting training he tries to wield weapons in his right hand

But everything he's good at is different from the Viking way, and he uses his left hand:

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Augster posted:

In How to Train Your Dragon, Hiccup is left-handed, but he actually tries to use his right hand sometimes when trying to fit in with the others, when he’s trying to act in a traditional Viking way.

The most prominent instance of this is when he finds Toothless tangled in the ropes in the forest, and plans to kill him. During the “I’m going to cut out your heart…”/”I’m a VIKING!” speech, he’s holding the knife right-handedly:

But then he can’t do it, because he’s not like everyone else, so instead he cuts the ropes to let Toothless free… And he uses his left hand to cut those ropes:

But everything he's good at is different from the Viking way, and he uses his left hand:

Makes sense, if we assume that the vikings used some form of the shield wall, as historical vikings are said to have done.
If Hiccup was to become a warrior, he'd have to fight in one, and everyone in a shield wall need to hold the shield on the same side. A left-handed warrior would be a liability. I dunno how shield walls go together with the whole fighting dragons bit, but it's just one hypothesis.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
This doesn't really fit in the with the thread, but it was mentioned earlier on that scenes from Burton's Batman and Aliens were filmed in the same building.

Nobody said which building that was.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

glitchkrieg posted:

This doesn't really fit in the with the thread, but it was mentioned earlier on that scenes from Burton's Batman and Aliens were filmed in the same building.

Nobody said which building that was.

Batman and Aliens were actually partly filmed in Acton Lane Power Station. The one in your picture is Battersea Power Station. Acton Lane has now been demolished.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

The Animals pig also makes a cameo in Children of Men (it can be seen more clearly in a later interior shot).

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Augster posted:

He also loses his left foot at the end.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Vitamins posted:

Batman and Aliens were actually partly filmed in Acton Lane Power Station. The one in your picture is Battersea Power Station. Acton Lane has now been demolished.

Weird, I could have sworn I'd read they were filmed at Battersea. Can't seem to find anything supporting this though - although bits of the Dark Knight were filmed there.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

El Negocio posted:

The Animals pig also makes a cameo in Children of Men (it can be seen more clearly in a later interior shot).

It's kinda hard to miss :3:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

glitchkrieg posted:

The first time I read this, I thought there was a film called Batman and Aliens that was directed by Tim Burton. You really got my hopes up there for a second.

Lemon-Shaped Rock
Mar 7, 2012

Augster posted:

I really like How to Train Your Dragon and think it's one of the best animated movies in recent years. Way better than some of the written-by-committee, toy-driven, oh and can we get some celebrity voices in there? stuff that's happened. (Robots. I'm talking about Robots.)

Content: In the same film, that all the shields, houses, boats whatnot are covered in dragon carvings/paintings. Makes perfect sense in context and while it's not the most subtle thing I can always appreciate world building.

JMod
Dec 12, 2004
This is probably pretty obvious to everyone but I just rewatched Swingers and they discuss the Goodfellas tracking shot and then they try to replicate it when the guys are sneaking in the backway to the Derby.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

El Negocio posted:

I've only just noticed how much they changed Tate Modern in that film.

EDIT: Actually, I've only just noticed that it's Battersea done up like Tate Modern (the bridge and interior shots threw me).

Captain Splendid has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Apr 19, 2013

Thriftwood
Dec 13, 2005

Macaroni Surprise posted:

In Django Unchained there's a great bit where Django is practicing shooting on a snowman. There is a long shot of Django walking over to the snowman, then in the next shot Dr. Schultz slowly rises into frame where there was clearly no way he was there before. He would have had to been buried in the snow or something.

This is probably a nod to Sergio Leone, one of Tarantino's biggest influences. Roger Ebert mentions this technique in his review of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-1968 posted:

Sergio Leone established a rule that he follows throughout "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly." The rule is that the ability to see is limited by the sides of the frame. At important moments in the film, what the camera cannot see, the characters cannot see, and that gives Leone the freedom to surprise us with entrances that cannot be explained by the practical geography of his shots.

There is a moment, for example, when men do not notice a vast encampment of the Union Army until they stumble upon it. And a moment in a cemetery when a man materializes out of thin air even though he should have been visible for a mile. And the way men walk down a street in full view and nobody is able to shoot them, maybe because they are not in the same frame with them.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've been in doubt whether to post this in the Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out thread or here, but I'm going to post it here because it's a movie thing and I think more people reading this thread will appreciate it.

I just watched Life of Pi for the second time, this time at home with my parents instead of in the cinema. I read the book a long time ago, and after seeing the movie in the cinema there was still one thing that bugged me about it. I just didn't didn't understand one particular section of the story.

Spoilers ahead, obviously, and if you still plan on reading the book or watching the film, don't read this:

The significance of the island.

I just couldn't relate that part of the fantastical interpretation to the realistic one, but it's so goddamn obvious in hindsight.
The island represents the body of the cook he kept on the boat. He didn't dump it or eat it right away as he did with the others, instead he let it rot. The meerkats represent the maggots. The fresh water represents the blood.

e: Now that I think about it more, I'm begin to doubt it was the cook. Maybe it was the mother. IIRC he never really specifies what happened to his mother's body... Maybe it's time to reread the book.

Like I said, it's pretty goddamn obvious in hindsight, and not even that subtle. I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out.

Taeke has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Apr 20, 2013

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Not sure if this is subtle enough or maybe should be in the Stuff You Just Figured Out thread, but in Knocked Up, all of his friends' names are their actual names in real life. No one really finds this as amusing as I do.

azwethinkweizm
Jul 20, 2008

Taeke posted:

Like I said, it's pretty goddamn obvious in hindsight, and not even that subtle.

Is it obvious? I'm sure I remember there being an establishing shot of the island that showed it to be the shape of Anandi, in a lying down position. That, and the whole lotus in in the the forest thing gave me the impression that the island represented his love interest, in some way.

Fixed Expression
Nov 9, 2009

Augster posted:

I've heard we get the word 'cunning' from the vikings and it means 'left handed', as the ability to change weapon from hand to hand in a fight in order to throw off your opponent is pretty useful. Although now I type that out it kind of has the ring of a factoid that might not be true. Any viking experts in the thread? There has to be at least one viking expert on SA. Did you like the film? Were you annoyed they had Scottish accents? Have you ever been to Yorvik?

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I think it derives from the same word origin as the German word "kennen" (to know).

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Fixed Expression posted:

I've heard we get the word 'cunning' from the vikings and it means 'left handed', as the ability to change weapon from hand to hand in a fight in order to throw off your opponent is pretty useful. Although now I type that out it kind of has the ring of a factoid that might not be true. Any viking experts in the thread? There has to be at least one viking expert on SA. Did you like the film? Were you annoyed they had Scottish accents? Have you ever been to Yorvik?

Doesn't look like it.

quote:

cunning (adj.)
early 14c., "learned, skillful," present participle of cunnen "to know" (see can (v.1)). Sense of "skillfully deceitful" is probably late 14c. As a noun from c.1300. Related: Cunningly.

But maybe they were thinking about this?

quote:

sly (adj.)
c.1200, from Old Norse sloegr "cunning, crafty, sly," from Proto-Germanic *slogis (cf. Low German slu "cunning, sly"), probably from base *slog- "hit" (see slay), with an original notion of "able to hit." Cf. German verschlagen "cunning, crafty, sly," schlagfertig "quick-witted," literally "ready to strike," from schlagen "to strike." A non-pejorative use of the word lingered in northern English dialect until 20c. On the sly "in secret" is recorded from 1812. Sly-boots "a seeming Silly, but subtil Fellow" is in the 1700 "Dictionary of the Canting Crew."

(etymonline.com is a great website for all your word origin needs)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Also, "factoids", by definition, aren't true.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Babe Magnet posted:

Also, "factoids", by definition, aren't true.

Well, they could be, but they aren't verified. Generally speaking though, you're right, though.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just noticed something after watching Terminator 2: Judgement Day for about the 95th time.

In the scene where the T-1000 is chasing Arnie & Co. in the SWAT van, you see a few quick close ups of the T-1000 inside the chopper, shooting at the truck. In one of those brief shots, you can see that the T-1000 has sprouted another arm so that it can steer the chopper, shoot, and reload at the same time. Mind blown.

I also noticed a bit of a screw-up, in the part where Sarah, T-800, and John are headed south, before Sarah goes off to kill Dyson.
While Sarah is visiting with her old friend, and John and the T-800 are fixing up the truck, there are lot of kids running around playing with a dog, but the dog doesn't go apeshit that the T-800 is there. Kinda odd, since "Wolfy" was barking his rear end off being around the T-1000, and that was at a good distance.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

The Zombie Guy posted:

I also noticed a bit of a screw-up, in the part where Sarah, T-800, and John are headed south, before Sarah goes off to kill Dyson.
While Sarah is visiting with her old friend, and John and the T-800 are fixing up the truck, there are lot of kids running around playing with a dog, but the dog doesn't go apeshit that the T-800 is there. Kinda odd, since "Wolfy" was barking his rear end off being around the T-1000, and that was at a good distance.

Wouldn't Wolfy have been barking because his owners were just murdered? It could have been a screw up and all dogs could just freak out around terminators, but at the time we hear Wolfy barking.. well he's probably seen or heard some upsetting poo poo go down.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Dogs can detect terminators, the human resistance used them in 20XX

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Dogs can detect terminators, the human resistance used them in 20XX

I just looked up the 'dog' entry in the Terminator Wiki and it's uncertain whether they used specifically trained dogs in 20XX or whether dogs just naturally react that way to Terminators.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just looked up the 'dog' entry in the Terminator Wiki and it's uncertain whether they used specifically trained dogs in 20XX or whether dogs just naturally react that way to Terminators.

In the original "Terminator" they show a c.1984 dog barking at the original T-800. Also note that Sarah has a german shepard with her at the end. So yeah, it's natural.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Supreme Allah posted:

Wouldn't Wolfy have been barking because his owners were just murdered? It could have been a screw up and all dogs could just freak out around terminators, but at the time we hear Wolfy barking.. well he's probably seen or heard some upsetting poo poo go down.

I can go with that as a fanwank. The dog was outside at the time, so could have been responding to the disturbance in the house rather than the scent of Terminator.

(The dog isn't called Wolfie, BTW; that's a fake name the T-800 uses to trick the T-1000.)

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie
Not sure if this classic has been brought up, but there is an interesting continuity between Dr. Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange. In the former movie, the B-52 bomber's radio is called "CRM-114." In the latter movie, the drug that makes Alex sick is labelled "Serum 114."

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

QCIC posted:

Not sure if this classic has been brought up, but there is an interesting continuity between Dr. Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange. In the former movie, the B-52 bomber's radio is called "CRM-114." In the latter movie, the drug that makes Alex sick is labelled "Serum 114."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRM_114_(fictional_device)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

azwethinkweizm posted:

Is it obvious? I'm sure I remember there being an establishing shot of the island that showed it to be the shape of Anandi, in a lying down position. That, and the whole lotus in in the the forest thing gave me the impression that the island represented his love interest, in some way.

Well, it's all about how deep you want to go.

The interpretation I posted above is about the factual/realistic events in the story. Of course, everything has deeper meaning regarding religion, life, the human condition, etc. If you want to go deeper, you could indeed see it as Anandi. There are definite links, with the obvious femininity of island that's established in the shot and the lotus flower in which he finds the tooth. On the other hand, when he talks to Anandi about the lotus flower in the dance, he's asking question about the nature of god and its role in the greater scheme of things.

The femininity of the island is what made me doubt whether it was the cook or his mother. The latter makes more sense in that he'd have been more likely to keep his mother around on the boat, not being able to let go.

The dichotomy of the day/night cycle of the island can be read as the horrible situation he's in. By day the island provides life, it's sustenance and a means to survive, but by night it's carnivorous, showing the horrible price he has to pay. Cannibalism is a means of survival, but it costs him (part of) his humanity. By eating another human being, he becomes more animalistic. The devision beteen Pi and Richard Parker blur.

This is a story that can be read on many different levels.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

I can go with that as a fanwank. The dog was outside at the time, so could have been responding to the disturbance in the house rather than the scent of Terminator.

(The dog isn't called Wolfie, BTW; that's a fake name the T-800 uses to trick the T-1000.)

I know the dog isn't really called wolfie. I haven't seen the movie in probably 10 years but I remember that scene

"Wolfy's fine, dear. Wolfy's just fine. Where are you?"

"Your parents are dead."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Supreme Allah posted:

I know the dog isn't really called wolfie. I haven't seen the movie in probably 10 years but I remember that scene

"Wolfy's fine, dear. Wolfy's just fine. Where are you?"

"Your :eng101:foster:eng101: parents are dead."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

muscles like this? posted:

Inception is basically chock full of subtle movie moments. Once they get into the main dream section they ask Cillian Murphy's character for random numbers claiming its a safe combination and that number comes up multiple times later. Like the fake phone number the girl gives in the bar or the hotel room numbers they hide out in. Also it IS the combination to the safe in the final dream stage.

The movie also has a subtle way of letting you know when something is a dream or not because in a dream Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio's character) still wears his wedding ring.

And if you're smart enough to pick up on it, you realize that Cobb's ring is his totem :eng101: so you can tell at the end that he really does finish the job and isn't stuck in a dream, the spinning top is just added to throw you off.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

azwethinkweizm posted:

You're wrong about the shape, at least according to imdb. It's actually the shape of a reclining Vishnu, which there are several of in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

El Negocio posted:

Hmm, I see that in the future the Millennium bridge has been moved to Battersea, I guess maybe people decided it wasn't very appropriate as we got further from 2000!