Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Young Master Tugboat Romney seems a little too emotionally invested in the old man's campaign. Did he think he'd be made ambassador to East Wealthistan or something? They sound like the kind of family that always eats dinner at the dining room table no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

watt par posted:

They sound like the kind of family that always eats dinner at the dining room table no matter what.

That's one of the things Mormons are known for, actually.

monoceros4
Sep 1, 2006

As good at chess as Alekhine's cat

biznatchio posted:

That's one of the things Mormons are known for, actually.

The quality is horrible, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbqhxsHCsTk

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

So when can we expect Tagg Romney to start preparing his inevitable presidential campaign?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You know you're a lovely candidate when even your own family throws you under the bus, goddamn.

Grandasaur Egg
Oct 14, 2005

GROOR

watt par posted:

They sound like the kind of family that always eats dinner at the dining room table no matter what.

I had no idea that families could sound like they always eat together at dinner? What does this even mean?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Grandasaur Egg posted:

I had no idea that families could sound like they always eat together at dinner? What does this even mean?

Conservative and regimented to a fault.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chamale posted:

Conservative and regimented to a fault.

So, it's a bad thing if a family gets to sit down to eat every night? I mean, I get that it's a privilege thing - I know my family rarely managed such a thing - but is it actually a bad thing in and of itself? I would think that's a positive thing everybody should get to have...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wasn't Tagg also the one who helpfully suggested that he wanted to slug Obama after one of the debates? I don't think anyone has ever bothered getting Tagg on-message.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Erkenntnis posted:

So when can we expect Tagg Romney to start preparing his inevitable presidential campaign?

I'd worry about it after he becomes Governor of Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri or Montana.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Lote posted:

I'd worry about it after he becomes Governor of Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri or Montana.

I am pretty sure Tagg's actually a Massachusetts guy. The Romney son with political ambitions of his own is Josh, he's out in Utah.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Lightning Knight posted:

So, it's a bad thing if a family gets to sit down to eat every night? I mean, I get that it's a privilege thing - I know my family rarely managed such a thing - but is it actually a bad thing in and of itself? I would think that's a positive thing everybody should get to have...

If it's voluntary, yes.

If it's forced upon you by rigidly conservative values against your will and regardless of any extenuating circumstances... not so much.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Lightning Knight posted:

It comes across as a very 1950's Leave It To Beaver family setup. Here's a much better MST3K video about such family dinners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THYVh9AhtLk

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
This topic lasts any longer and you'll have to change the thread tag to the 'No, gently caress You, Dad' one (which seems to have disappeared. :( )

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

No, its not a bad thing. I come from a working middle class background and unless my father was working four to one's or midnights (he was a cop) we were all at that table. Even if he wasn't there, my mother, sister and I sat down anyways.

This is one of those points that really shouldn't be harped on.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

jeffersonlives posted:

I am pretty sure Tagg's actually a Massachusetts guy.

A Massachusetts guy, eh? They have any open seats up for election soon? :getin:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Joementum is the Joker of D&D.

Some people just want to see the world burn.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So, I'm kinda new to the scene of US politics. Joe, do you predict any kind of actual comedy (even one quarter of what we got in this year's republican primary would be enough) from the Dem side of things? I know Obama vs. Clinton was heated, but was it actually... funny? (Were any other Dem primaries?)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dancer posted:

So, I'm kinda new to the scene of US politics. Joe, do you predict any kind of actual comedy (even one quarter of what we got in this year's republican primary would be enough) from the Dem side of things? I know Obama vs. Clinton was heated, but was it actually... funny? (Were any other Dem primaries?)

At the deepest depths of Clinton's doomed struggle to overcome Obama, she was pandering really hard to the political winds, which led to things like Clinton tossing back drinks at a bar on TV to somehow humanize herself. Primaries always bring out bizarre political posturing.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 26, 2012

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Dancer posted:

Sadly, in 2008 neither Obama, Clinton, or even Edwards reached the levels of insanity displayed regularly in 2012 by Gingrich, Cain, Perry, Bachmann, Santorum, or the Good Doctor.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dancer posted:

Uncle Joe tried his hardest to make the 08 campaign season more interesting

Okay, only one of these is from the primary season. But still.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

notthegoatseguy posted:

Uncle Joe tried his hardest to make the 08 campaign season more interesting

Okay, only one of these is from the primary season. But still.

Don't forget this gem from the primaries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V-Ehchdje0&t=177s

I love Biden as a man but can respectfully disagree with a lot of what he's done in his political career (main thing being he's been a big-time drug warrior, but that issue hasn't had play in the past couple decades and the climate's such that an "evolution" would make sense for him), so for me the only upside to a presidential run for him in 2016 would be his inevitable gaffes like these.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

At the deepest depths of Clinton's doomed struggle to overcome Obama, she was pandering really hard to the political winds, which lead to things like Clinton tossing back drinks at a bar on TV to somehow humanize herself. Primaries always bring out bizarre political posturing.

My favorite was when she was campaigning in Texas, so of course she brought out a full mariachi band complete with a little boy dressed as a toreador. It was the silliest political pandering.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

greatn posted:

My favorite was when she was campaigning in Texas, so of course she brought out a full mariachi band complete with a little boy dressed as a toreador. It was the silliest political pandering.

Hey she won that, so more mariachi and toreadors it is!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dancer posted:

Democratic primaries are funny, but in a different way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Joementum posted:

Democratic primaries are funny, but in a different way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8

Biden had some foot in mouth moments and called a guy mentally ill on national TV. Democratic primaries are hilarious. Kucinich and Sharpton can also usually be counted on screwing something up. Oh, and there was the wonder that the only Democrat who talked about the poor and inequality, Edwards, not only couldn't get nominated (those things don't win over liberals, he should have trotted out the feel good social policy and pledged to reform SS), also managed to get a 250 buck haircut and then knock up his mistress on the campaign trail. Shirtless pictures of Wes Clark weren't all that classy either.

My favorite part about 2008 was if you supported Hilary you were a racist, loved nepotism, and supported the war. If you supported Obama you were a sexist and the most mysogynistic mysogyner that ever mysogyned, and an idiot because he had no experience.

Of course you could hate on everyone else just fine. Democratic primaries are funny because all the liberal interest groups start throwing the vilest accusations at anybody who doesn't get behind their pet candidate. Not shocking considering they gently caress each other over and even help the GOP if it raises their own personal profile in the party (NAACP is known for their cooperation with the GOP to RATFUCK Democrats out of seats and give the GOP a majority if the NAACP gets their guy) so you can't trust any of them not to screw the party over at the drop of a hat.

Ohh, and you think Tea Party people were upset about Mitt? Remember the PUMAS?

Democratic primaries are every bit the level of crazy and glorious entertainment that the GOP primaries are, and their primary voters every bit the frothing at the mouth loonies as well.

All politics is great entertainment.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Democrats don't cheer letting people die without health care or boo soldiers because of their sexual orientation. The Republican crazy is more crazy and frothing and the truth isn't in the middle there.

quote:

(NAACP is known for their cooperation with the GOP to RATFUCK Democrats out of seats and give the GOP a majority if the NAACP gets their guy)

Oh, what races are we talking about here?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
For a primary that went rather unnoticed, West Virginia Dems still managed to crazy it up this year.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Democrats don't cheer letting people die without health care or boo soldiers because of their sexual orientation. The Republican crazy is more crazy and frothing and the truth isn't in the middle there.

In the 1990s the GOP created "operation RATFUCK". They came to the NAACP with voting software that would allow them to create AA majority districts. The catch was you'd have one Democratic district that was certain to elect an AA rep, but you'd dilute the Democratic vote badly in races around it so the GOP won and came out ahead.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/04/scott-walker-defunding-democratic-donors

In the late '80s and early '90s, Republican strategists approached the NAACP with offers of free mapping software to help them create majority-minority congressional districts that would be more likely to elect black and Hispanic members of Congress. But this tactic, dubbed "Project Ratfuck" by one of its chief architects, had nothing to do with increasing minority representation. Rather, it was designed to pack lots of liberal-leaning minority voters into a single district, leaving the surrounding districts as easy pickings for Republican challengers.

This remains one of the reasons the GOP controls state houses and the congress. It's been going on for a while. It's a combination of Democratic interest groups being 100% willing to screw the whole party to get theirs, and the GOP being all to willing to play along. It's not just some races, it was a nation drat program.

And sorry no but the PUMAs and OBOTs are loving nuts.

EDIT- google ratfuck to get a whole laundry list of these tricks. A few of them involve funding and running options to the left of the Democratic main stream to create primary chaos as well, or proping up a Democratic interest group in one to do the same. It gets dirtier from there (faking documents, throwing parties for liberals), but a lot of it depends on banking that Democratic interest group A will back stab the party in an instant if you dangle a carrot in front them, works pretty well too. One of the more elaborate ratfucks is the libertarian party and it's non stop goal to peel liberals off via the single issue items for the anti-war movement and the pro-pot types.

SilentD fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 26, 2012

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SilentD posted:

In the 1990s the GOP created "operation RATFUCK". They came to the NAACP with voting software that would allow them to create AA majority districts. The catch was you'd have one Democratic district that was certain to elect an AA rep, but you'd dilute the Democratic vote badly in races around it so the GOP won and came out ahead.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/04/scott-walker-defunding-democratic-donors

In the late '80s and early '90s, Republican strategists approached the NAACP with offers of free mapping software to help them create majority-minority congressional districts that would be more likely to elect black and Hispanic members of Congress. But this tactic, dubbed "Project Ratfuck" by one of its chief architects, had nothing to do with increasing minority representation. Rather, it was designed to pack lots of liberal-leaning minority voters into a single district, leaving the surrounding districts as easy pickings for Republican challengers.

This remains one of the reasons the GOP controls state houses and the congress. It's been going on for a while. It's a combination of Democratic interest groups being 100% willing to screw the whole party to get theirs, and the GOP being all to willing to play along. It's not just some races, it was a nation drat program.

EDIT- google ratfuck to get a whole laundry list of these tricks. A few of them involve funding and running options to the left of the Democratic main stream to create primary chaos as well, or proping up a Democratic interest group in one to do the same. It gets dirtier from there (faking documents, throwing parties for liberals), but a lot of it depends on banking that Democratic interest group A will back stab the party in an instant if you dangle a carrot in front them, works pretty well too. One of the more elaborate ratfucks is the libertarian party and it's non stop goal to peel liberals off via the single issue items for the anti-war movement and the pro-pot types.

It's like Nixon never left us :allears:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
SilentD keeps invoking ratfuck with that same single, inconclusive paragraph from the same article, which only works if you assume that minorities are somehow so gently caress-stupid that they'd be easily deceived into helping the GOP against their own interests.

There are two equally unflattering assumptions, and he's making one of them: one is that us nonwhites who do redistricting plans are so dumb that we need to be protected from clever whites who will take advantage, presumably by benevolent whites: or that nonwhites should sit down, shut up, and trust white people to know and do what's best for us.

That the paragraph talks about the attempt to ratfuck and not what happened is telling (minority advocacy groups used the software and were wary of overpacking, but residential segregation makes not overpacking a bitch and a half - its really inaccurate to say that they "are known to cooperate with the GOP"); that SilentD thinks that the NAACP is an interest group that needs to fall in line is also telling.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

The Warszawa posted:

SilentD keeps invoking ratfuck with that same single, inconclusive paragraph from the same article, which only works if you assume that minorities are somehow so gently caress-stupid that they'd be easily deceived into helping the GOP against their own interests.

There are two equally unflattering assumptions, and he's making one of them: one is that us nonwhites who do redistricting plans are so dumb that we need to be protected from clever whites who will take advantage, presumably by benevolent whites: or that nonwhites should sit down, shut up, and trust white people to know and do what's best for us.

That the paragraph talks about the attempt to ratfuck and not what happened is telling (minority advocacy groups used the software and were wary of overpacking, but residential segregation makes not overpacking a bitch and a half - its really inaccurate to say that they "are known to cooperate with the GOP"); that SilentD thinks that the NAACP is an interest group that needs to fall in line is also telling.
On the other hand, it does succinctly explain Ron Paul's support and popularity

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat
A google search for "operation ratfuck" turns up a lot of rumours and speculation and nothing much more. Maybe there is/was a systematic campaign by Republicans to promote majority-minority districts; maybe some people in the NAACP even signed on. But I am personally gonna stick to ignoring anyone who uses the word "ratfuck" in a political debate.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

The PUMAS were crazy but barely existed. Believing they were any real force is the type of stupidity that led to McCain thinking Palin would peel off angry Democratic women. Those women just didn't exist and the party was and is extremely unified behind Obama.

"Obots" is a juvenile insult that means nothing. Some Obama supporters were and are over the top in their loyalty, but they do not cheer on death and bigotry for their countrymen in the manner that was displayed by the Republican primary audience.

Republicans are crazier and Republicans are more bigoted and hold more repulsive views and views without factual support. The truth is not in the middle.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Wait what, I think I missed something because holy poo poo what. :stare:

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Arbitrary Coin posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PepQF7G-It0

That was the old "Let him die" moment.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Republican primaries are like the quadrennial public Airing of the Freep.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Hey she won that, so more mariachi and toreadors it is!

Hillary didn't win Texas.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Hillary didn't win Texas.

Yeah she did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

greatn posted:

Yeah she did.

Nope, Obama won 99 delegates to Clinton's 94.

• Locked thread