Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

:agreed:

I don't think it's the government's job to protect people from making dumb decisions.

The problem is mass murder and suicide rates because of the ease of access to guns and a criminal subculture isn't "A dumb decision". It's stuff like this is why we have government to begin with. Obviously you didn't say that but it's just an important distinction to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DeusExMachinima posted:

They ought to have probable cause though.

Not for a checkpoint that pulls everybody over regardless of status. Driving definitely ain't a right.

It'd be a whole different thing with say, a checkpoint that picked at "random" and "randomly" pulled over all the black people and one white dude.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/09/alabama_sends_message_we_are_t.html
Oi so by the looks of it Republicans' African American Disenfranchisement Anti-Voter Fraud Initiative has entered phase two, which is that it may soon become loving possible to vote in Alabama.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Not for a checkpoint that pulls everybody over regardless of status. Driving definitely ain't a right.

It'd be a whole different thing with say, a checkpoint that picked at "random" and "randomly" pulled over all the black people and one white dude.

Maybe if they had some sort of breathalyzer robot that could check the drivers without involving a cop. All of us know quite well all of the dumb poo poo cops often do during traffic stops.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Meat Recital posted:

She said something like "at this point what difference does it make?" during a Benghazi hearing, and they trotted that line out for years trying to make her seem callous and indifferent.

As recently as July 2:

Rorus Raz posted:

Mike Lester would like to take the time to remind you to vote for Bernie Sanders

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

MaxxBot posted:

Maybe if they had some sort of breathalyzer robot that could check the drivers without involving a cop. All of us know quite well all of the dumb poo poo cops often do during traffic stops.

We all know that bio-cops will eventually find a way to hack those robots so that they can spoof a >0.08 BAC. And equip them with a gun and skin color index peripheral :tinfoil:

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/09/alabama_sends_message_we_are_t.html
Oi so by the looks of it Republicans' African American Disenfranchisement Anti-Voter Fraud Initiative has entered phase two, which is that it may soon become loving possible to vote in Alabama.

Whatever we didn't do in reconstruction we're paying for it in spades.

I'm thinking constitutional convention, reduce every former confederate state to one senator and remove all congressional districts so the people get to vote for proportional representation

And then burn all the plantations again

gently caress the south

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Killer robot posted:

I remember that. A million parents saw a story on CNN about Four Loko as the greatest new threat to college students, and immediately put down their rum and coke to call their senators to make sure something was DONE about the dangers of caffeinated alcohol. It's a pretty great model of crisis response, we should definitely follow it.

If you add the chalky poo poo from energy drinks to vodka you get psychotic rage.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

Killer robot posted:

The thing is a lot of people know about guns: how they technically work, what's popular and why, how they're used in crime, and how criminal and legitimate use varies. You don't need to be a manufacturer, or a "gun nut" or whatever, and just a little technical and practical knowledge would put you leaps and bounds ahead of the writers of most laws on the books.

The problem is that people who have this sort of knowledge, whether because they're into guns as a personal hobby, have worked with them professionally due to military/police experience, or just are non-shooters buckled down and done research on how to make better gun control: they all seem to not hop onto the loud cries to "do something", and they don't put their weight behind the current proposal for regulating cosmetic features, how many bullets can be bought a time, or how much pistols are allowed to weigh. They point out when proposals are already covered by current law. They might even suggest loosening laws that are known to be byzantine and ineffectual. In short, from the perspective of many gun control advocates, knowledge itself tends to turn people into the enemy.

Of course, it goes both ways. Try to propose consistent gun laws actually aimed at reducing violence and you won't only get pushback from panicked, ignorant incrementalists, you'll get pushback from gun owners who want literally zero restrictions and from those who are okay with reducing crime but from long experience associate gun control proposals with bad-faith actors.

I think you have the right idea here.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hhhat posted:

Whatever we didn't do in reconstruction we're paying for it in spades.

I'm thinking constitutional convention, reduce every former confederate state to one senator and remove all congressional districts so the people get to vote for proportional representation

And then burn all the plantations again

gently caress the south

So in response to disenfranchisement of voters in Alabama is to sarcastically propose further disenfranchisement?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Probably half of the DUI checkpoints I've been through didn't stop every car. Should those use probable cause?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The problem is mass murder and suicide rates because of the ease of access to guns and a criminal subculture isn't "A dumb decision". It's stuff like this is why we have government to begin with. Obviously you didn't say that but it's just an important distinction to make.

There some ways that can help without involving victimless crimes, and sometimes you can't. Avoiding victimless crimes is more important than deciding what's necessary in an individual's lifestyle.

Really though everyone knows (including fishmech) that handgun bans and confiscations are never going to happen in the US, ever, which is about what it'd take to do in mass shootings as a trend. The Columbine shootings racked up their body count during the assault weapons ban with compliant weapons. Even though I disagree with gun control advocates, I feel kinda bad in the sense that if they ever got what they wanted (mag limits and AWB federally again) you could imagine their growing horror when it just doesn't stop. :smith:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm kind of an old man now and don't drink to excess very often, but when I do.. I really enjoy the drunk from energy drinks + alcohol. It's pretty much the only way I can stay up past 10 anway...

Also regarding the pool fences, let the Private Sector (cue chorus of angels) fix the problem by jacking up rates on those who choose not to put one up. Problem solved. I'll take my Koch check now.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The problem is mass murder and suicide rates because of the ease of access to guns and a criminal subculture isn't "A dumb decision". It's stuff like this is why we have government to begin with.

This is why I think the scorched earth never-give-an-inch approach of the NRA and the like will ultimately bite them in the rear end, however well it might be working now. Complaining about bad or reactionary legislation like Jeb is doing stops working if you have no suggestions of your own and the issue keeps coming back.

As with healthcare, eventually something's going to get passed, and they'll have lost the chance to have input on what it is because of the refusal to engage.

MaxxBot posted:

I'd be pretty OK with every car coming with an ignition interlock. Maybe not the random checks while driving, since in aggregate that would be a lot of distraction of sober drivers while on the road. But to start the car, sure. Servicing so many of them could be a big logistics issue, though.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

MaxxBot posted:

You shouldn't be able to pull someone over without evidence that they actually did anything wrong. It's not a pro-drunk driving position to not want people pulled over at random to check their BAC.

This is fascinating to read living somewhere where police routinely stop people at random for breathalyzer tests and the practice is utterly inert politically, but then I remembered that our police don't have a tendency to shoot people on traffic stops.

Like, they put on high-vis jackets and go stand at a randomly picked spot and systematically stop every car passing by for a while, then move the operation somewhere else.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Antti posted:

This is fascinating to read living somewhere where police routinely stop people at random for breathalyzer tests and the practice is utterly inert politically, but then I remembered that our police don't have a tendency to shoot people on traffic stops.

Like, they put on high-vis jackets and go stand at a randomly picked spot and systematically stop every car passing by for a while, then move the operation somewhere else.

Parts of the U.S. do have checkpoints like that. A checkpoint is different than someone being pulled over at random.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Both The Atlantic and The Hill are running articles suggesting that Chaffetz's criticisms of McCarthy are a signal that he's going to make a leadership run. Not sure I see it, but he'd definitely make more of a challenge than Webster.

EDIT: Also, Vitter's gubernatorial bid seems to be in trouble. I wonder if the RGA taking money out of the Bevin race is because they're worried about losing Louisiana.

Franco Potente fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 2, 2015

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

jeb! posted:

"A child drowns in a pool and the impulse is to pass a law that puts fencing around pools," Bush said. "Well it may not change it or you have a car accident and the impulse is to pass a law that deals with that unique event and the cumulative effect of this is in some cases, you don’t solve the problem by passing the law, and you’re imposing on large numbers of people, burdens that make it harder for our economy to grow, make it harder for people to protect liberty, and that is, the whole conversation today was exactly about that."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/jeb-bush-oregon-campus-shooting-stuff-happens-214386#ixzz3nSBTYrsr

Jeb, the might have a bit more punch *if you hadn't signed a pool fence bill as gov* (sponsored by DWS!):

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2000-05-26/news/0005260161_1_pool-safety-new-pools-ibern

quote:

TALLAHASSEE — Three years after launching her battle for pool safety, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz saw her efforts become law on Thursday with the signature of Gov. Jeb Bush.

"I'm ecstatic," said Wasserman Schultz, D-Weston. "It is tragic that because of the length of time it took, more children drowned."

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

JehovahsWetness posted:

Jeb, the might have a bit more punch *if you hadn't signed a pool fence bill as gov* (sponsored by DWS!):

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2000-05-26/news/0005260161_1_pool-safety-new-pools-ibern

GOLD Jerry, That's GOLD!

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost
E: nvm

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

JehovahsWetness posted:

Wow.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

JehovahsWetness posted:

Did you find that, or is this something that's being talked about in the media? Either way that's just...wow.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/john-hanlin-sandy-hook-truther

In other news, that Sheriff that covers the county yesterday's shooting was in and also sent the letter to Biden is also a Sandy Hook Truther.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 3, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Four Loko doesn't kill people. People who drink Four Loko kill people.

namely themselves, becaues they drank four loko

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

JehovahsWetness posted:

This is almost as funny as Jindal's "volcano studies" statement.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

eviltastic posted:

Did you find that, or is this something that's being talked about in the media? Either way that's just...wow.

Twitter machine: https://twitter.com/KagroX/status/650069589590736896 . Actual bill: http://laws.flrules.org/files/Ch_2000-143.pdf

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's amazing. How is Jeb SO bad at this politics thing?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

JehovahsWetness posted:

That is the single most outstanding thing I will see today.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

STAC Goat posted:

Guess what else is amazing, the new title of this thread.

Thanks friendly Mod/Admin!

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

So in response to disenfranchisement of voters in Alabama is to sarcastically propose further disenfranchisement?

Shut up and help me light this torch

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

STAC Goat posted:

Real answer: he's never truly had to campaign before, and his wins to date have been more or less handed to him by the political machine his father and his father's party set up in Florida.

On a national stage, where you have to perform, he simply does not know what to do. He has essentially zero experience in actually being a politician.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Franco Potente posted:

Both The Atlantic and The Hill are running articles suggesting that Chaffetz's criticisms of McCarthy are a signal that he's going to make a leadership run. Not sure I see it, but he'd definitely make more of a challenge than Webster.

EDIT: Also, Vitter's gubernatorial bid seems to be in trouble. I wonder if the RGA taking money out of the Bevin race is because they're worried about losing Louisiana.

Roll Call today had a blurb about he was definitely running for Speakership

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Meat Recital posted:

She said something like "at this point what difference does it make?" during a Benghazi hearing, and they trotted that line out for years trying to make her seem callous and indifferent.

If Jeb! had said "what difference does it make" in response to being hounded as to whether or not this shooting was a spontaneous response to a youtube video or a premeditated attack as if being wrong about that was a criminal act, liberals would have hopefully withheld their criticism. Since that didn't happen who the gently caress cares

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fried Chicken posted:

Roll Call today had a blurb about he was definitely running for Speakership

You know, in Hebrew, "chaffetz" means "he desires" or something desirable.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Did we talk about Obama saying he won't sign another CR yet?

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Did we talk about Obama saying he won't sign another CR yet?

No. And can we change the thread title to USPOOL?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Well, we all know about Obama and red lines, but he said he won't negotiate on the debt ceiling and won't sign another CR. so that's staking out an aggressive position to start at least.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Alligator Horse posted:

No. And can we change the thread title to USPOOL?

Second

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, we all know about Obama and red lines, but he said he won't negotiate on the debt ceiling and won't sign another CR. so that's staking out an aggressive position to start at least.

Suppose Boehner steps down and the GOP and/or House are so split nobody gets elected Speaker. What happens?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

STAC Goat posted:

Dude reeks of an entitled rich kid that's had everything handed to him. His responses to reporters questioning his statements are always so standoffish.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Suppose Boehner steps down and the GOP and/or House are so split nobody gets elected Speaker. What happens?

Speaker Pelosi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Diamond Joe steps in to name Ronnie James Dio the new Speaker. And poo poo gets DONE.

• Locked thread