Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gannyGrabber posted:

Maddox is good if you like fun, instead of being a gunline shitlord

For reals. +3 POW and melee and the possibility of beat back allows you to really push people around. I was surprised in my Journeyman by how good Maddox has been when she's played front line. I gave a first game to a new kid (8-10 yo) yesterday. I was always going to give him the win anyway, so my learning experience is exactly what would I have to give away to lose with that much of a skill gap. As it turns out, the answer is play down a feat (i.e. don't use yours) and clarify that when Maddox feats, it's extra damage on every swing from Maddox or a jack. On her feat turn, the firefly killed the last bit of my chimera, and Maddox was able to kill a fresh Manticore (minus cortex) and a force-fieldless griffon. 7 attacks including a charge is not to be laughed at from a caster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Running a pure gunline will also leave you very vulnerable to a lot of lists so building a pairing with that in mind is fine. Although now even a 'gunline' army is going to probably have a few jacks with halfway decent melee weapons (eg Defenders) outside of a Hunter gimmick list or w/e.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

What is good for Cryx now? I was kind of bummed that the general thing in Mk2 seemed to be "Bring Lots of Banes". Has that changed for Mk3?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I've played a few gunline lists in Mk3 now and the only times it wasn't a close match was when the opponent took no anti shooting Tech at all. Sure the Defender can do alright in close combat but it's still going to get killed in a turn once it's engaged most of the time.

Anyway, off the gunline issue I ran this list last night and was very happy with it.

General Adept Nemo - WJ: +26
- Squire - PC: 5
- Dynamo - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 18)
- Firefly - PC: 8 (Battlegroup Points Used: 8)
- Firefly - PC: 8
- Minuteman - PC: 9
- Minuteman - PC: 9
- Centurion - PC: 17
- Lancer - PC: 10

Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 4
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 3

Trencher Infantry - Leader & 5 Grunts: 10

My opponent ran Skarre2 with Deathjack, Barathrum, two maxed Satyxis Raiders, Gorman, Ragman, Saxon and a couple of other solos.

It was a really tight match and I lost on scenario but my opponent is far more experienced and just outplayed me even after i got the alpha and killed Barathrum and half killed Deathjack top of turn 2.

Nemo 2 is a lot of fun to play with and the option of having a camp of 7 focus after casting his spells by sucking back unused focus off jacks is really strong.

I'm thinking of dropping the Minutemen though. They are great little Jacks, especially with a threat extender like Energizer but as soon as the enemy has blast immunity(like Satyxis) their value drops a lot. I think I'll go with a pair of Chargers instead, the POW 12s are not as good as the POW 14s on the Minutemen but they can stay fairly safe at range and even shoot and scoot a bit with Energizer. They can put decent pressure on lighter armored heavies and they kill infantry just fine too.

The Fireflys are amazing though. They murder light infantry with just the power up focus to boost the original hit. The option to close in and give the damage buff for lightning is just great too.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

S.J. posted:

Cygnar4lyfe

Sometimes I'm like, that S.J is one of my best internet buddies and then you do something like this and make me so. mad.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

PrinnySquadron posted:

What is good for Cryx now? I was kind of bummed that the general thing in Mk2 seemed to be "Bring Lots of Banes". Has that changed for Mk3?

It's definitely changed in that Banes lost a lot so you probably won't see them spammed. Satyxis Raiders seem really good though. High Def with built in anti shooting tech, 12 inch threat with knockdown and gang or a 16 inch running engagement range if you want to jam up guns is real good for the points.

Skarre 1 double Kraken is really strong too if colossals are your thing.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

gannyGrabber posted:

I've only played cygnar thrice in mk3: I won all 3 games so maybe you need to get good. :smuggo:

There.

10char

S.J.
May 19, 2008

fnordcircle posted:

Sometimes I'm like, that S.J is one of my best internet buddies and then you do something like this and make me so. mad.

Don't feel bad I like Stormclads and Centurions and Sword Knights and Storm Blades a whole lot

I only own two defenders and two hunters!

Friendly Fire posted:

It's definitely changed in that Banes lost a lot so you probably won't see them spammed. Satyxis Raiders seem really good though. High Def with built in anti shooting tech, 12 inch threat with knockdown and gang or a 16 inch running engagement range if you want to jam up guns is real good for the points.

Skarre 1 double Kraken is really strong too if colossals are your thing.

You can still start a whole lot of Cryx lists with 30 Bane Knights (they got cheaper) and do just fine because charging bane knights are still awesome

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Alpha Phoenix posted:

There.

10char

I didn't say that at all! Rude.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

gannyGrabber posted:

I didn't say that at all! Rude.

If you need me to corroborate your story when you open a case with the mods I got your back burh

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

If I had a Warmachine army, I would compose a list containing nothing but a warcaster and all the coolest looking warjacks of that faction. I would play it specifically against gunlines no matter the effectiveness. When my jacks finally engaged my opponents army, I would demand my opponent scream "It's a Gundammmmmmmmmm!!!" as loud as he can.

I'd then immediately pack up, concede the game, and go giggle uncontrollably in my car.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

fnordcircle posted:

If you need me to corroborate your story when you open a case with the mods I got your back burh

lol gently caress da mods IMO i ain't no snitch

Anyways all I was saying is that the game I fought against non-gunline cygnar was more fun and interesting, and also much, much closer than the games v gunlines.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

waah posted:

If I had a Warmachine army, I would compose a list containing nothing but a warcaster and all the coolest looking warjacks of that faction. I would play it specifically against gunlines no matter the effectiveness. When my jacks finally engaged my opponents army, I would demand my opponent scream "It's a Gundammmmmmmmmm!!!" as loud as he can.

I'd then immediately pack up, concede the game, and go giggle uncontrollably in my car.

The trick is to get a warmachine army

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

waah posted:

...gently caress. now I want to mod a ret phoenix to look like Wing Zero.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

waah posted:

This is why I play Bartolo, and to a lesser but equally fun extent pMagnus, every once in a while because Giant Robo Smash Machine is why I got into this game.

PS: Merc Warjacks own, MK3 owns for mercs, try these casters out if you are looking for a fun side faction

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

PrinnySquadron posted:

You can get a bunch of models in firesale now.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Does a group of you still play on vassal? I tried learning about a year ago, got owned in my first game and didn't try again. Thinking about giving it another go if it's still as good a game as people say.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

waah posted:

Just made a Karchev list, doing this tonight.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I realized today that Magnus 2 works for Cygnar now. I don't have any particular follow-up to this, but Magnus 3 had better be full Swan.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is the best way to play eCaine to just take him and a bunch of mercs like Boomhowler And HHFG to gum the board while he goes crazy, or are there better in faction options now? I'm looking at the WiTC lists and the guy who took eCaine took a bunch of Stormblades and i'm not sure why.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

fnordcircle posted:

You don't have to play into his bullshit every week IRL.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

So I've played three games against my friend, battlebox, 25 point and 50 point ish. I won the original battlebox game and his two lists so far have been shooting me from like range 14 with boosted attacks then when I get close just running to the side and zapping my caster. This is extremely unfun (literally the last game he has one mech 15" away from my caster and I had five focus and he did five double boosted range attacks to murder him and that was the entirety of the combat, none of my guys got to hit or shoot anything). Is this how the game is cause that was super unfun.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

ranbo das posted:

So I've played three games against my friend, battlebox, 25 point and 50 point ish. I won the original battlebox game and his two lists so far have been shooting me from like range 14 with boosted attacks then when I get close just running to the side and zapping my caster. This is extremely unfun (literally the last game he has one mech 15" away from my caster and I had five focus and he did five double boosted range attacks to murder him and that was the entirety of the combat, none of my guys got to hit or shoot anything). Is this how the game is cause that was super unfun.

What faction are you? Pretty much every faction has a caster that says 'nuh uh, you can't shoot me, doucheface!' and you can just pick that guy and poo poo on your rear end in a top hat friend. Or spend 10ish points on a throwaway unit of garbage dudes and just run them into melee with him so he can't shoot that turn.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

ranbo das posted:

What factions are you both playing and what's he taking to get all those boosted attacks at range 14 with only 50 points?

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

fadam posted:

People have been playing zoners in fighting games for years bro. Keep away can be fun.

Ranged weapons are not the only way to zone in Warmachine, bro.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Is there a collection of starter small lists that give the feel of each faction?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I've been playing Menoth. As far as I know the choir is the "don't shoot me" unit, but the first game he had some guy (Caine?) who has a pistol thats both magic and has an ability that lets you take a second shot, so when I was immune to ranged since it was a magic weapon it still hit, bounced to the choir and killed it, then everyone gunned my mechs down. The second game I didn't bring a choir, but what he did was pop Nemo's ult, run his dynamo up until it was just in range of me (like literally, the very edge of his base could see the very edge of mine), popped a shot off my mech which gives him four additional shots at anyone in range, then shot at my caster four times. Only the second and the fourth hit (he boosted the last shot's hit in addition to damage) but it was a pow 13 and pow 14 four dice attacks. which was like 50 damage before armor and spending focus to reduce damage.

I just want to punch other huge mechs with my mechs firey fists and weapons :(

Also yeah I thought about running in a bunch of cheap dudes that but how do you stop a single firefly from wiping out pretty much everyone singlehandedly with four shots from its gun? Most cheap guys die in a single hit right?

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 26, 2016

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

Is the best way to play eCaine to just take him and a bunch of mercs like Boomhowler And HHFG to gum the board while he goes crazy, or are there better in faction options now? I'm looking at the WiTC lists and the guy who took eCaine took a bunch of Stormblades and i'm not sure why.

Caine2 is still Cygnar's go-to assassin caster. The only difference now is that he has really good support spells that are good for him, but better for other models. I'll also throw out some ideas that I've used and put my opponents on tilt. They're not amazing ideas, but they are quite amusing in my opinion.

If you cast Bullet Dodger on a melee solo, they can really throw a wrench into the works. Something with DEF 13 or higher is an ideal choice. That first attack against them needs to land too, because a miss may get you out of range of the next attacks. Jakes with Bullet Dodger is DEF 17. Jakes with Bullet Dodger next to a jack with Side Kick is DEF 19.

A really bonkers spell is Fire for Effect. Put it on something with a ranged AOE or spray and your opponent will cry sweet, salty tears. I love putting this on Thunderhead and using Pulse. Another fun option is putting it on an Avenger that is Jack Marshalled to the Gun Mage Unit Officer and using Thunderbolt or Critical Brutal.

The last one is Heightened Reflexes. Put this on Trencher Infantry or Commandos and do tough rolls for days.

Oh, and don't forget to bring Ace because flavor bullshit reasons.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Take the choir anyway, Caine2's really good but they help heaps against the rest of cygnar.

I think you're getting played, Dynamo only gets 4 shots and it stops shooting as soon as it misses.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

fadam posted:

Though Warroom won't allow it, you can take the dorf artillery with Murdoch as a sweet fire for effect target. I am currently using the cannon but ever slowly am I tempted more and more towards that combo.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

ranbo das posted:

I've been playing Menoth. As far as I know the choir is the "don't shoot me" unit, but the first game he had some guy (Caine?) who has a pistol thats both magic and has an ability that lets you take a second shot, so when I was immune to ranged since it was a magic weapon it still hit, bounced to the choir and killed it, then everyone gunned my mechs down. The second game I didn't bring a choir, but what he did was pop Nemo's ult, run his dynamo up until it was just in range of me (like literally, the very edge of his base could see the very edge of mine), popped a shot off my mech which gives him four additional shots at anyone in range, then shot at my caster four times. Only the second and the fourth hit (he boosted the last shot's hit in addition to damage) but it was a pow 13 and pow 14 four dice attacks. which was like 50 damage before armor and spending focus to reduce damage.

I just want to punch other huge mechs with my mechs firey fists and weapons :(

Also yeah I thought about running in a bunch of cheap dudes that but how do you stop a single firefly from wiping out pretty much everyone singlehandedly with four shots from its gun? Most cheap guys die in a single hit right?

Yeah, as has been said, he is playing Dynamo wrong, also the additional shots still need line of sight from Dynamo. Also, the Firefly only gets one shot. If that shot hits, then it bounces d3 times so it's pretty unlikely you will lose 4 guys a turn to it.

My advice is to read his cards very carefully and don't be afraid to ask if something seems off.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

xiw posted:

Take the choir anyway, Caine2's really good but they help heaps against the rest of cygnar.

I think you're getting played, Dynamo only gets 4 shots and it stops shooting as soon as it misses.

4 additional attacks or 4 attacks total? Also I asked about the whole "missing breaks it" and he said it didn't.

Also I can see why the choir would help but between Caine2, the riflemen who can basically disable a mech in two rounds for 8 points and all his other things he can throw at me, I'm not sure that forcing my mechs to go a max of speed 6 so they stay near the choir is crippling me because he just kites me to hell.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Friendly Fire posted:

Yeah, as has been said, he is playing Dynamo wrong, also the additional shots still need line of sight from Dynamo. Also, the Firefly only gets one shot. If that shot hits, then it bounces d3 times so it's pretty unlikely you will lose 4 guys a turn to it.

My advice is to read his cards very carefully and don't be afraid to ask if something seems off.

Can the firefly not buy more shots for focus?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

ranbo das posted:

Can the firefly not buy more shots for focus?

No. Jacks can shoot up to their ROF. They can only buy ranged attacks if they have Reload[x] where x it's the number of shots they can buy.

The only exceptions are special rules like Dynamos multi fire and it definitely stops shooting when it misses(although Nemo's bond gives it a reroll)

Edit: Also Dynamos extra ranged attacks all have to target the original model that was hit, or a model within 2 inches of that model.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 26, 2016

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Friendly Fire posted:

No. Jacks can shoot up to their ROF. They can only buy ranged attacks if they have Reload[x] where x it's the number of shots they can buy.

The only exceptions are special rules like Dynamos multi fire and it definitely stops shooting when it misses(although Nemo's bond gives it a reroll)

Oh ok this makes range a lot worse than I thought it was. The guy was buying 4 shots on every mech with a ranged shot every turn. Still need to figure out how to get around the riflemen who can shoot through the choir and cripple mechs. I assume repair bot lets you remove any damage box?

Also sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, this guy is the only person I've played against and apparently he doesn't really know the rules and if I play against other people I want to know how to actually play.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

ranbo das posted:

Oh ok this makes range a lot worse than I thought it was. The guy was buying 4 shots on every mech with a ranged shot every turn. Still need to figure out how to get around the riflemen who can shoot through the choir and cripple mechs. I assume repair bot lets you remove any damage box?

Also sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, this guy is the only person I've played against and apparently he doesn't really know the rules and if I play against other people I want to know how to actually play.

Don't hesitate to clarify a rule. As for the choir, there isn't a lot you can do if your opponent is shooting with magical weapons, but apart from Warcasters and Warlocks, there isn't a huge amount of high powered magical shooting in the game. There are some solos that hand out magical damage to others though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ranbo das posted:

Oh ok this makes range a lot worse than I thought it was. The guy was buying 4 shots on every mech with a ranged shot every turn.

haha yeahhh no, that's not at all how ranged combat works in warmachine, otherwise the daemon would be one of the greatest infantry clearing tools in the game. Unless the model has a specific rule that says otherwise, a ranged weapon can only fire as many times in a turn as it has ROF.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

fadam posted:

That's how he was played in mk2. Cygnars in-faction units got buffed, while most Warcaster buffs are friendly faction now. Boomhowlers have become a bad choice; Trenchers are better at their job in almost every way. Stormblades now have the Iron Zeal minifeat and 1" reach, keeping them alive and letting them get more attacks in. I play them with Caine2 and two Stormclads, so the Clads usually have 2 focus without any from Caine. And they hit surprisingly hard - with Ragman and in their 5" bubble, they have pow16 assault shots followed by pow17 charges. Whatever comes in to bang up my clads gers murdered by the blades, I took one entire side of a Kraken just with the assault shots for example.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

AnElegantPeacock posted:

You don't have to play into his bullshit every week IRL.

rigorous scientific testing has shown that both Haley 1 and Haley 2 are both

hella stronk

e: Caine 2 wants Trencher Infantry like whoa. Clouds and CRA + Fire for Effect are great! Also no knockdown tough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

goodness posted:

Does a group of you still play on vassal? I tried learning about a year ago, got owned in my first game and didn't try again. Thinking about giving it another go if it's still as good a game as people say.

Yea, the warmachine group on steam is often dead but you can message people in the group and ask for a game. I'm usually up for one, though I won't be back in town till Monday. I'd be glad to play you then.

The group is: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/Warmahores

We're still not in the OP because of the man.